Those Who Are Watching and Those Who Hear...

Delmodan

4 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

They’re going to see your staff tag, and they’re going to view it as a staff comment. The first thing they’re going to think is “oh ****, a story manager doesn’t like my lore. I’m fucked, my lore is fucked.” Or, alternatively, “oh **** it’s that one *******, **** him.” It’s just unprofessional and demoralizing after working so long on something you think is good.

Getting an unsalted response that doesn’t reflect said member’s genuine opinion only puts you under the assumption of having written good lore. But when it’s time for the piece to be professionally critiqued, that mr. nice guy shroud is removed and you’re suddenly bombarded by the fact that it didn’t actually appeal to them. And it hits harder because you’ve been embracing an outright lie for however long it took for them to declare their verdict. Facing the bitter truth upfront at the very least acquaints you with that reality, and motivates you to work towards a better end. Even if it took an unpleasant but honest opinion.

This is likely a response which has been reiterated a thousand times over, but I will say it again.

Lack of content. I know, I know, the ST is in disarray, and recruitment has been slow, but the map has just become stale without any flavour to give to it. Now, I know there are SOME events being planned at certain dates to help keep things in order, which is nice, but I can’t help but feel almost  as if the damage has already been done. Many players have already burned themselves out on things like warclaims and simultaneous RP to the extent where many of them, myself included have genuinely become disillusioned with LOTC as a whole. It’s just a huge let-down honestly, and I’m concerned if the community will be able to make a recovery, because from what I can see, there is a lot of bad faith in staff as a result of failed promises, forgone story-lines and trigger happy removal of lore outright, which has led to no end of frustration.

7 minutes ago, Boruto said:

Snipping all this “I’m trying to sound smart” ****

If you read my critique at all, you would know that I specifically said that if the lore doesn’t work, then it should get gacked. I literally said that. 

My entire argument revolves around a biased first glance opinion. If you look at a lore’s title, see it’s affiliated with a lorepiece that you just don’t personally agree with, and then you **** on it, you’re an ******* and you aren’t helping anyone. 

I am all for genuine criticism. People should be constructively criticized. Never said that that was a bad thing. If I read your lore and I immediately find something that isn’t going to work, I’m going to tell you. I have no idea where you’re getting anything you’ve just spouted. 

Using big words to sound smart is retarded if you’re going to make it obvious that you don’t know how to read.

54 minutes ago, TheAlphaMoist said:
Using big words to sound smart is retarded if you’re going to make it obvious that you don’t know how to read.

really hurt my big brain there.

you blatantly stated that you were against negative criticism if it came from an LT member:

3 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

The first thing they’re going to think is “oh ****, a story manager doesn’t like my lore. I’m fucked, my lore is fucked.

so, why not use that manager’s genuine point of view as a kickstart to try and figure out what’s wrong, rather than whinge about their initial disapproval? you’re better off receiving their criticism, however “negative” it may seem, than be left in the dark.

21 minutes ago, Boruto said:

you blatantly stated that you were against negative criticism if it came from an LT member:

Lol what I’m almost certain I made it clear that I was referring to LT shitting on stuff and making fun of it. That’s not a criticism. That’s not constructive. 

23 minutes ago, Boruto said:

so, why not use that manager’s genuine point of view as a kickstart to try and figure out what’s wrong, rather than whinge about their initial disapproval? you’re better off receiving their criticism, however “negative” it may seem, than be left in the dark.

As an example, this is exactly what the necro lore writers have been doing. They’ve been trying to figure out what’s wrong to change the initial disapproval. However, that is all null and void if the major disapproval stems from someone’s biased opinion that the magic just shouldn’t be on the server. You can change literally everything about the lore, and it wouldn’t matter because they have an opinion.

In Dingo’s case, regarding the quote you have in your signature, Dingo saw a lore. He read the title. He immediately posted a meme in the comments to make fun of it. He didn’t read the lore. He didn’t even have an opinion on the mechanics of the magic because he only looked at the title. (I say this because he nearly immediately responded to it after it was posted. No way he had time to read that monster of a post. Also, not shitting on dingo at the moment, literally just explaining what I mean.) He had nothing constructive to add at that point in time. He just poked fun and laughed, and that’s just unprofessional and degrading to the lore writer. That is the kind of stuff I’m referring to. I never said anything about genuine, constructive criticism, like you so wish to forcefully think and accuse me of.

Like, seriously. Refer to this. I explained in detail exactly what I meant.

2fd609453bac41758e4874fd575d2a94.png

“immediately **** on it without giving it a second glance” obviously infers that they didn’t actually read the lore. If they didn’t read the lore, they can’t have any constructive criticism to give, outside of obviously extreme cases. 

At this point I’m beginning to think you really didn’t read anything I said from my original argument, or that you’re just trolling.

Please don’t try to derail the conversation or banter. I know either side is trying to prove a point but lets remain on the topic here. 

-

To staff based comments/quotes on lore for me personally unless it is written within formality I take it as a player of the community making a joke – it isn’t unprofessional and the comment shouldn’t have to start with ‘This isn’t a view on staff of my comments’ for it to not fallback onto the team. Unless a choice/post is made that depicts an answer to the thread in a formal way, I suggest not to take it seriously.

52 minutes ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Dingo saw a lore. He read the title. He immediately posted a meme in the comments to make fun of it. He didn’t read the lore.

You’re jumping too many guns here.

But if that’s the case, then it’s admittedly more of a jab at necromancy as a concept than at the humble piece itself. If he hasn’t read it, then he can’t possibly be shitting on it, nor neglecting the effort that’s been evidently spent writing it. In so, you’re picking out nonsensical reasons to get aggrified over, and that’s detrimental to your mental state, so take a chill pill, calm, and mull over this whole non-existant issue for a while. Or you do you.

But as a heads-up, you won’t get far if a gif’s got you overthinking to such a painful degree. Learn how to take a joke, or an apparently really offensive shitpost.

I don’t see the need to apologize. From what I recall, people were given adequate warning that their materials would be facing review and potential removal well before things were taken or revoked. Lore is effectively the server’s, for lack of better explanation, game engine laid out in clear context. The slightest tweak here or there has unseen and often unintended effects elsewhere. Something originally meant to be a minor tool or weapon can, due to poor wording or lackluster explanation, suddenly become a devastating weapon. Literal monsters, originally created with intent to be player driven threats to the civilized world, can suddenly become peaceful family creatures with granted privileges that artificially make them more ‘interesting and unique’ when the form of RP present could easily be accomplished by mundane descendant entities. It’s very common to see lore used as little more than a stepping stool to make one’s character more ‘powerful’ or to draw out their natural life. 

I can understand the frustration with some things being in limbo or outright retired but folks need to come to understand the history of the lore(s) effected and patiently work toward avoiding repeat issues.

12 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Sorry Delmo to hijack but I can mention this.

The team was in an insane state of disarray since late last map considering the merges, mass removals and other factors. I'd like to say I'm fixing the problems of the past as outlined in my other update. My priority is to not have events be unknown to the playerbase, but for the playerbase to have ample time to participate in them.

My update post outlines the general direction I'm taking the event sect. I'm wishful in being able to deliver but we'll see

The team was in no state of disarray. What happened is @FlamboyantTyrant merged two teams so he could take control of both ET and Lore Team when we already had positions and the right people in place to handle our team.  @Telanirlet him do it despite literally every ET begging them not to (except @ScreamingDingo who was denied to be on ET bc he was a GM and previously had issues managing staff responsibility with his inactivity.). The issue became that FlamboyantTyrant barred my team from doing any work further past the @Aesopian eventline essentially using that as a scapegoat to destroy an entirely active playerbase of competent volunteers.  This created a void of inactivity and lack of events post-team merge.  All active, inspired personel were replaced with old hats that hardly wanted to do anything, just have other people do it for them and take credit.  Now we see what happens now fast forward almost a year later.  A **** Atlas ending event that my team was barred from working on because of @FlamboyanfTyrant.  A **** Arcas storyline and lack thereof with no regard to anything but the minimalist amount of work possible doing to retain their rank given to them by the ursurp of the old team.  And the lack of any events worth participating in bc there is no longer a playerbase representative of the common LoTC community make-up.   You know who to blame and who to hold accountable for the lack of activity, events and planning regarding this post merge and devoid eventscape.  We were promised cohesive storytelling and events all planned out for Arcas.  I've been waiting and all I can say is you've failed your job to the community wholeheartedly @FlamboyantTyrant @ScreamingDingo.  

TLDR: Shelving lore and work of others does not equal doing work yourself.  Give the responsibility to someone who can handle it rather than letting the community further decay bc of your incompetence.

13 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Sorry Delmo to hijack but I can mention this.

The team was in an insane state of disarray since late last map considering the merges, mass removals and other factors. I'd like to say I'm fixing the problems of the past as outlined in my other update. My priority is to not have events be unknown to the playerbase, but for the playerbase to have ample time to participate in them.

“We put the team into disarray with our dumbass decisions.”

“The team was in disarray so forgive our dumbass decisions.”

that’s a real hmmm right there 

Greetings,

I would greatly appreciate a council with you as I’ve mesaged you twice in-game for you to be either afk or just blatantly ignoring me.  I really would like a shot to continue to contribute towards LoTC’s story-line.  My dedication to the former team and this community should be apparent to you.  Please do not disregard this message as well and at least hear me out for re-joining the team.

Regards,

Malgonious

Former Manager of Atlas ET Team

FlamboyantTyrant FlamboyantTyrant  3,043 

Story Administrator

Replied: March 27

Your attitude during towards the end of your time as ET manager, then you quitting after not getting ET Director while leaving an eventline unfinished, and then returning to the server while making a grab for admin while at the same time whining in the LotC discord about how admins are ruining the server after you returned to the server is why you are not being added to the team. We don't need people like that on staff.

Malgonious

Malgonious  2,282 

Gold VIP

Replied: March 27

You were never around during my tenure as ET Manager, to say you had any shred of activity during those 6 months is a logical fallacy discredited by fact.  I left after receiving knowledge we wouldn't be allowed to work on the end of the map events as a team, that the new director and administrator being placed in charge of my team, (you), would be taking full control of the situation.  I made clear that the Vaeyl Event line should not be the end of the map closer.  Multiple groups were barred interaction by the Empire, logs can show personas not approved were killed.  Xarkly allowed this and I contested it vocally in our chat.  It was important to allow all groups at the time entry or at least a substitute event-line to allow cohesive story-telling across the board.  

I had an interview with Telanir for adminstrator after I departed, making the statement I'd be barred from joining a team due to my criticism of your merging the LT and ET.  You want to write the events but you don't want to run them, that was my complaint.  You power grabbed a team from Treatycole who I had no outstanding issue with.  We worked together with zero issues since we both joined the team, he’s a good dude all around. I left because of you and your poor planning/inactivity as an administrator so stop trying to deflect the problem.

You did this because you were too concerned of using it as reasoning to reconstruct your team subservient to your lackluster ambitions.  

2 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

“We put the team into disarray with our dumbass decisions.”

“The team was in disarray so forgive our dumbass decisions.”

that’s a real hmmm right there 

Not asking you to forgive anything. Bad decisions have been made and we should be called out on them. Just saying from my point of view that we got fucked by changes forced on staff, but can't have that as an excuse for how **** has been.

@Malgonious

There's not much I can say to what you wrote except that a large chunk of it is inaccurate. Otherwise you nearly baited me so good job

7 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Not asking you to forgive anything. Bad decisions have been made and we should be called out on them. Just saying from my point of view that we got fucked by changes forced on staff, but can't have that as an excuse for how **** has been.

@Malgonious

There's not much I can say to what you wrote except that a large chunk of it is inaccurate. Otherwise you nearly baited me so good job

Look im going to need to see your license and registration because you’ve been in the drivers seat for the past six months.  I understand its a big responsibility to get behind the wheel and take charge but if that’s the best response you got to what I said then pull over I’m getting out.  My point was made pretty clear to any that even care, but no hate good luck I hope changes are made and I can take back what I’ve said bc you’re not solely responsible or even half-way.  Your boss is the real issue of this.

4 minutes ago, Malgonious said:

Look im going to need to see your license and registration because you’ve been in the drivers seat for the past six months.  I understand its a big responsibility to get behind the wheel and take charge but if that’s the best response you got to what I said then pull over I’m getting out.  My point was made pretty clear to any that even care, but no hate good luck I hope changes are made and I can take back what I’ve said bc you’re not solely responsible or even half-way.  Your boss is the real issue of this.

I've been on the ET for just over a month, straight on as a manager. Just to give you a point of reference my dear friend

Alright, I am up and about again. Hope everyone is having a good Saturday so far. 

@aiden0023  As current it went into Pending and some changes need to be made first. I’ll be getting in touch with Dardonas today and answer all his questions so he can proceed with this. 

@_Jandy_I’m not going to lie here. Yeah it flat is. Slow response times on submissions is something several have stated and it is something to definitely address.

@Zacho   The sub-forums should be up to date last I checked. I can give another look to see if I missed anything. We are currently in the process of dealing with the TA issue and looking to get more active people on them so they aren’t sitting as long. The pending situation is also something to address and the reason it does extend is because its more on the LT end than the lore creator’s end. As current, we do have a limit of 2 weeks to get edits done and what not. Though Pending things in and of itself has fallen through the cracks on several things and yes, we do need to work on it not happening in the future.

@Abyssus I’m not going to give you hate for vending this. I get how frustrated you are and I am sorry about how you feel with it. Overall, trying to touch or really do anything in regards to lore on this server is a big and hard step to do period. It was a mess before and no matter how you tackle the problem, you will hit on someone being upset in the end. Whether by shelving, changing something, trying to organize better, etc. Now while I cannot change the past, I can try to better aid in this in the future where you feel like you did once before. 

@TheAlphaMoist  @Boruto   I do get where both of you are coming from with this. While yes, some of my members wish to speak from a player point of view or make comments in regards to some submissions, that is however not as easy to do as also someone in a staff position. Especially when you are a Story Team Member going to review the lore. I will look into the comments being better in the future, but on the other side of that coin, giving criticism (whether blunt or not) shouldn’t be frown upon or looked at poorly as if it will immediately get denied. It is made to help. As well, one person doesn’t solely decide on if a piece passes or not. It is voted upon by the Lore Sect Team as a whole. 

@Harold I understand how you feel, yet this comes from me with no hidden motive to insult or show someone else in a poor light. This is me as a ST Manager stepping in and reaching out to the community to see and hear the concerns, thoughts, and issues they have with what has been going on for awhile now. While we manage and handle the lore on the server, we as a team however cannot distance ourselves away from those that made the lore and the enjoyment of it possible. 

@LeoRabbit99 Soft-shelving is an issue in and of itself. I do get what you mean and how you feel. However, with previous things in the past regarding soft-shelving, it was made while issues regarding whatever it was was well fixed. And some things either haven’t or been stuck in a terrible limbo of just dying off because they can’t continue to build their community. Which is something I in the end, do not like seeing. Necromancy was something far more than just out right shelving it. There was months of time given for things to be fixed, communicating, internal conflicts and so on. It was upsetting for everyone. If this helps, Dardonas did just have a lore passed where it explains what happened roleplay wise. And I think it would be something to definitely pursue further in the future of getting lore posts made of what RPly happens when things get shelved. 

@Gloonkey No I understand completely. It is frustrating and some of the stuff has been out of our hands, whether it be pex issues, builds not getting done, etc. As current, we are trying to get builds finished and things moving along for the main storyline to get going. 

@Malgonious I do apologize that you were not considered back on the team. However, when decisions are made in regards to choosing who is placed on a team, there are requirements and expectations involved. This happens with every new Leader that is placed and it is their responsibility to carefully consider their choices. The merger happened because of the disarray going on in ET at the time. That was a fact within the past and it was frustrating with communication and trying to sort things out. When poor attitude or issues are brought to the attention with said Leader or the Administration in general , then unfortunately the decisions are made to cut said people from returning. I do hope it can get where you could be considered again. Until then, I wish you the best on improving.