Swamp Rules

Temp

Hello there, folks.

Seems I’ve failed to consider some things with my event site and the potential conflict that can arise with encounters. So, I do want to allow dynamic conflict oriented around site goers fighting one another but at the same time, I don’t want folks patrolling the roads to scoop up event goers just for S&G.

Mist and its restrictions

Animals, domesticated or otherwise are a big fat no-go. Horses, birds, dogs, etc etc etc. If it’s not a descendant or CA character, it’s not to be used in the region. If folks are caught using /msg(Birds) in the region to co-ordinate movements, they will be told to leave. Refusal will result in forced removal.

RP(MC) items are now required to act as facemasks / mist protection. A simple cloth, scarf or etc on a skin will no longer suffice. When you enter the region, I’ll be looking for these things. Failure to protect yourself from the mists will be punished harshly.

Conflict among players

To allow the area to maintain its allure and because I genuinely want people to come to the event area to create a story, there are going to be some minor changes to how things function.

Event goers may bring whatever they so see fit when strolling through the event area in regards to numbers.

Bandit, scavenging, etc parties strolling through the region that have not communicated with myself prior are restricted to 4 members. To verify that the party you’ve encountered as bandits are event goers, simply ask OOC.
I should be saying yeah pretty quickly.
At this time, I am the only ET that works in the region and GMDeporter is the only builder.

Defaults be damned, Event Goers will decide the default for the encounter. Should they wish to press CRP, even if it’s 20 v 4, that’s a bullet you’re gonna have to bite.

Glad people can’t bullshit “clothes” anymore.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Bandit, scavenging, etc parties strolling through the region that have not communicated with myself prior are restricted to 4 members. To verify that the party you’ve encountered as bandits are event goers, simply ask OOC.
I should be saying yeah pretty quickly.

I’ve heard that a lot of the survivors of the last event got picked off by bandits, so this will be a good rule IMO.

Honestly pvp gooning or raiding ET event is bad taste for starters, pvp should be barred from such events as it has no place.  I mean if you get bandit on the way to the event is is one thing but during is just tacky.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Defaults be damned, Event Goers will decide the default for the encounter. Should they wish to press CRP, even if it’s 20 v 4, that’s a bullet you’re gonna have to bite.

Time to see what a 10v10 crp looks like.

Edited by Mavromino

5 hours ago, Scorpio_Sage said:

Honestly pvp gooning or raiding ET event is bad taste for starters, pvp should be barred from such events as it has no place.  I mean if you get bandit on the way to the event is is one thing but during is just tacky.

^^^This.

Sure, if you’ve communicated with the ET what your group will be doing, and play by their rules, it’d probably actually bring some pretty dynamic and interesting RP for all parties. Like I’m all for conflict, and some of the coolest interactions I’ve had in eventlines is when there’s two or more groups with different objectives. 

But when it’s just taking advantage of the fact people are prepared for an ET event instead of defending against a PVP raid, it straight up spoils the whole mood for everyone and ruins all the prep both the ET and the eventgoers have done – all just so that you can gloat in your newfound 5 sets of iron armour.

I do also hope moderation ends up taking a better look at these issues instead of brushing things off as they did today, as it really ends up negatively affecting what the Event Team is capable of doing. Some of them have a real genuine enthusiasm in bringing stories to life, and having the whims of a GM deciding if their event mechanics are “relevant” or not to a conflict on their grounds really just does nothing but hurt both their efforts and the motivation of the playerbase to attend these events.

Hopefully this’ll be a good precedent for the future, and we can all continue to enjoy all the great work Rancid and co. have put into this event area.

7 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I’ve heard that a lot of the survivors of the last event got picked off by bandits

8 Blackhill v 20~ Orcs give or take btw

1 hour ago, idk said:

But when it’s just taking advantage of the fact people are prepared for an ET event instead of defending against a PVP raid, it straight up spoils the whole mood for everyone and ruins all the prep both the ET and the eventgoers have done – all just so that you can gloat in your newfound 5 sets of iron armour.

PvP is a fast, efficient, and simple way to resolve encounters between small and large numbers alike. Removing PvP from the equation in these sites will result in absolutely ****-tier CRP 10v10’s that’ll end up getting defaulted to PvP by a pitiful mod anyhow.

I have no issues with Rancid or his eventline, but this all seems very counter-productive. Killing anyone who doesn’t have some subjective item that could/could not represent a gas mask and forcing all encounters to CRP is a genuinely bad way to deal with any of what went on today or with what will go on in the future. All this will lead to is 10v10+ CRP that is hard to manage, will never end, will not be enjoyable, and more toxicity than the alternative.

40 minutes ago, Kanadensare said:

8 Blackhill v 20~ Orcs give or take btw

They aren’t talking about today; stragglers got killed off by you guys during the huge rally on Sat, which was a pretty different issue with different context.

Also 14* orcs and non-orcs, most of who were not PVPers and on trackpads. Not sure why you keep bringing up the numbers anyway, since clearly you “weren’t there to PVP” and wouldn’t care about such trivial things like the number of enemies you clicked. ?

40 minutes ago, Kanadensare said:

PvP is a fast, efficient, and simple way to resolve encounters between small and large numbers alike. Removing PvP from the equation in these sites will result in absolutely ****-tier CRP 10v10’s that’ll end up getting defaulted to PvP by a pitiful mod anyhow.

I have no issues with Rancid or his eventline, but this all seems very counter-productive. Killing anyone who doesn’t have some subjective item that could/could not represent a gas mask and forcing all encounters to CRP is a genuinely bad way to deal with any of what went on today or with what will go on in the future. All this will lead to is 10v10+ CRP that is hard to manage, will never end, will not be enjoyable, and more toxicity than the alternative.

The issue with the situation today is that it wasn’t even a fight that should have happened. The ET was not contacted prior that there would be a separate large group in the area, and no IRP effort was made to avoid the conflict, with OOC quickly breaking down into “too scared to PVP? noob orcs lal”. It was pretty clear that the bandit group was here to prey on a group that was vulnerable due to participating in an event, rather than aiming for an interesting RP situation, and that just doesn’t seem right to me because it takes advantage of the ET’s willingness to spare time and effort to provide a story.

If you’re making a decision to attack an ET event, you should treat it as if you were joining the event, IMO. You’re butting into an event and cutting what could have been an hour or so long, meaningful RP, into 5 minutes, because you,  a third party who was not supposed to be there in the first place, want to be “fast and efficient”. I don’t think it should be any different from if the event-goers started fighting among themselves, or did PVE CRP, which actually can be handled relatively well by overseeing ETs, as seen from the warclaim-style rally on Saturday (where 80+ people charged into a swamp). If people want PvP, sure, but I think it’s totally justifiable, and doable, to do large-scale CRPs when that was what is expected from this kinda thing anyway.

I agree there could be better ways to deal with it, but given moderation doesn’t seem to care much about the ET’s preestablished area rules, I think it’s justified for him to try to put in measures to discourage low-effort villainy that messes with his storytelling. Like honestly, having an RP item and emoting putting it on is not hard at all, and was pretty much the bare minimum every event-goer acknowledged even before this post, in order to participate in these events. I don’t see why people outside of the planned event group should be exempt from this, especially when they’re directly interfering to such a degree.

1 hour ago, Kanadensare said:

I have no issues with Rancid or his eventline, but this all seems very counter-productive. Killing anyone who doesn’t have some subjective item that could/could not represent a gas mask and forcing all encounters to CRP is a genuinely bad way to deal with any of what went on today or with what will go on in the future. 

tl;dr So, if you butt into an event to take people’s ****, you shouldn’t have to follow the event’s rules? because that’s what I’m hearing from you.

We were informed by the ET that we were required to have the gas masks in order to survive going so deep into the swamp. Being able to run in and trounce the event by just fiat-ing some bullshit with RP and not having at least put in the effort to make something and call the ET to make an item for you if you’re worried about or unable to use renames is bullshit. You shouldn’t be able to cause conflict in an event you’ve not announced your intentions to be a part of with the ET managing it beforehand in most cases, let alone doing so while also ignoring the environmental and other restrictions put upon the people who were actually there for the event.

There’s nothing fun about spending days planning/waiting for an event and having it be spoiled by a bunch of people who refused to play by the event’s rules. Especially not when they so blatantly have no intention to RP, given that two of them are statused as they walk up. It’s not conducive to roleplay and provides no positive experience for anyone except the people that are trying to get more pixels for their pvp chests. 

I will agree that mass CRP in most cases isn’t fun, but if both sides have people that actually know what they’re doing and are willing to take L’s it would probably be fun, I think using PVP past 10 people is reasonable, but I think CRP should be an option, rather than locking advantages people should have (I.E. Magic, CA race benefits (Golem, druid morph, Olog, etc.) or whatever else.) away simply because some dudes rallied enough people to force clicking so they don’t have to deal with being RPly weaker. But that really has nothing to do with this, it just came to mind since it got mentioned and it’s something I feel strongly about. Personally, I think we need an alternative to PVP, but making a standardized system for it for such a large server would be so difficult to implement ?

Anyways, Grog out boys, that’s my 5 cents on this ****.

holy **** that quote box glitched out

1 hour ago, Knox said:

Good man.

oh crap, now that ur gm again i cant cyber bully u on DMs...

2 hours ago, Kanadensare said:

Well, there’s a really good solution to this entire thing.

Don’t bandit at ET zones its really **** to do and I’d be completely happy with the complete removal of them interacting purposefully to **** with people ooc’ly.

To give context and concept to what I do, events last anywhere from 2 – 4 hours, are heavily emote intensive and parties that may begin as 8 or 9 often depart as 4 or 5 and those 4 or 5 are typically wounded or ICly fatigued, depending entirely on what they’ve been attempting.

In order to keep the events more engaging, story driven and generally merciful, I try to peak attendance numbers at around a dozen. Anything beyond that, I’m going to have to crack out the output log, slow my response time and potentially ask for some help from my fellow ET. If roving parties of bandits are added into the mix, the typical attendance parties that rest at anything from 4 or 5 to a dozen are going to double if not triple. Quality of the events is going to drop and already punished event goers are going to be punished yet again, killing the joy and interest in event sites.  

Event goers will be asked prior to arriving to events their stance on raiders / dynamic conflict. If they’re for it, chances are they’re going to be alright with PvP. If they are not, I won’t cut off raiders/bandits/whatevers but I will ask them to be part of the RP environment and I will subject them to the exact same rules and standards as the event goers. The size restriction, whilst seemingly arbitrary, asks that the bandits put those willing to RP forward whilst the rest of their party departs. 

Best of luck folks.