Conflict & War FAQ

Telanir

55 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Players are the authority—not the Staff. My job as Staff is to facilitate a cordial setting for the exchange.

i remember when cappy made a post saying that lotc is not a democracy aaaaa times have changed

Hey guys, if you could please stay on topic, it’s a big day and it’s important everyone gets the chance to comment. ?

Glad this change is coming into fruition. Looking forward to its official addition, and although I cant speak for everyone, I have no doubt that a good majority of the playerbase is happy with putting good rp and story  before pvp. I hope it will start getting people who only joined to do lowrp “mina or die” to start putting more effort, rather than calling people homosexual slurs because nobody wants to do mindless pvp that wastes everybody’s time! Thanks GM team, you’re really pulling through here inshallah ??

honestly hoping we do something that curbs raids/pvp/wars and discourages pvp hype gangs 

it’s all become tremendously laughable and not even fun except for click fiends, they’re all tremendously low quality and meme-tier

imo raids/wars are not something that should even happen so frequently. I do think the server could use them, but less often

that aside, these changes aren’t good 

Edited by Ford

When you say that raids and banditry will not require staff moderation do you actually believe this will work out in the long run? Both defenders and raiders can be incredibly toxic and stubborn when things don’t go their way and I’d hate to see someone ruin this after doing some dumb **** on a raid. 

2 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

So anyone can just declare war on and warclaim anyone for any reason since we got rid of CBs?

Sorta.... It requires cooperation between both sides to go to war, meaning both must agree to it. 

so wait

is this suggesting that a settlement can be raided every day provided the attacker can think up some reason to do it IC and the only course of action is to become an isolationist and never open the doors or go outside

@Telanir 

This post makes me want to club a baby penguin.

Have @Harrison write the rules. Have @Harold write the rules. Have @Corpean write the rules. @Cracker is the only player listed above that has any war experience from actually participating and @Jaeden for moderating. No offense to anyone who put in work on this. But get qualified players that have experience to write the rules, not just random moderators who you think can do an okay job. 

From what you just wrote telanir. You are going to allow roleplay warclaims. Roleplay warclaims. Let me say that one more time. Roleplay warclaims. Do you know how terrible it is having 10 people rp fight at the same time? Imagine 100. 

This entire post just sounds like you're giving up on making a working system and telling the players they are on their own. This is a major disappointment from you @Telanir. This is something I never expected from you. I hope that the rules you post are different from what you shared as your goals, if they are, there is hope that itll work. If the rules follow what you just said, you dug a deeper grave for player and staff relations.

4 minutes ago, IZipZapManI said:

Sorta.... It requires cooperation between both sides to go to war, meaning both must agree to it. 

The ****? Who ever wants to go to war? Yeah. I'm losing hope every second. 

Edited by L0rdLawyer

Story time +1 

5 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

So anyone can just declare war on and warclaim anyone for any reason since we got rid of CBs?

As long as it’s something both parties agree on happening, yes. 

(and here’s why that’s a good thing.)

The new rules are trying to skew war from being a medium for OOC domination of playerbases to a consentual process that both parties agree on occurring to create conflict-based stories that people are happy with. The OOC toxicity and crying from both sides that occurs with WCs and conflicts would have to disappear if both warring NLs or warring parties are consentually both agreeing to go to war explicitly to generate RP.

Conquest can still happen if both parties still agree to it – and there are now far more ways available to go about doing war than just the pattern of  wc > wc > wc > siege that people’re used to. It’s more freeform because it isn’t combative from an out-of-character standpoint; instead, the wars are there for the sake of roleplay stories.

anyway, if people’re getting bitchmade about a lack of staff intervention or no more raid ladders, the point of the post has flown too far over their head for it to be worthwhile engaging with them about the substance of the war reform.

Remember where your feet’re at. This is a roleplay server and isn’t meant to be factions pvp in medieval dress, and rules like these’re meant to be reminding people of that.

The only major OOC difference between warclaims, conquests, sieges et al. are that they need to be in the good faith of an established story being pressed forward or created by both nation leaders. That wink and a handshake in some backroom Discord is key to keeping RP to RP and making sure people have an enjoyable time instead of sitting in fear that the stuff they’ve worked hard on is going to get nonconsensually steamrolled by some dickswinging major faction.

fleepers cry more

1 minute ago, frill said:

snip

this guy has high iq

2 minutes ago, frill said:

Remember where your feet’re at. This is a roleplay server and isn’t meant to be factions pvp in medieval dress, and rules like these’re meant to be reminding people of that.

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

These are just some of my initial thoughts:

War is inherently uncooperative because it’s a contest between two (or more) forces that oppose each other. Trying to get players to agree on anything is difficult enough, but even more so when it comes to things as major as wars. I understand the reasoning behind trying to make wars a part of the “greater story” of LOTC and have them become a collaborative effort, but people are too OOCly attached to their Mineman nations to ever risk suffering any sort of meaningful loss. We’ve seen, time and time again, players rule-lawyer, cheat, beg, etc, in order to avoid the consequences of their actions. Now that nations at war get to decide their own fate, I imagine we’ll see this same mentality of ‘avoiding consequences’ arise when two nations meet to plan out a war. I agree with the sentiment behind this new system, but I have concerns regarding its implementation.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’m reading it seems like nations have to agree to war in the first place. This means that any legitimate RP reason I could have to declare war on another nation could be completely null and void because they OOCly don’t wish to go to war. I understand that conquest is generally something seen as unfavorable on the server, but if I were to run a nation hell-bent on making everyone’s lives miserable via raiding, assassination, banditing, etc, I should be able to be gassed by other nations. Instead, this war system would allow me to say, “no thanks, I don’t want war” and continue doing what I do. On the flip side, I could have every legitimate RP reason to go to war with a nation but be blocked by the OOC barrier of the opposing side not wishing for war. 

Of course, as this is just an FAQ, take what I’ve said here with a grain of salt. Once the official rules come out tomorrow I might give a, hopefully more thorough and comprehensive, critique.

also RIP ladders