Conflict & War FAQ

Telanir

1 hour ago, Telanir said:

Hey, it’s not about whether you had RP reasoning or not necessarily, you might not have reasoning but still provide interesting roleplay. If you are deliberately upsetting people and performing shitty roleplay there will be hell to pay. As for Moderation shitting the bed, they can choose who to get it from, from them, or me. I will be the worse choice, I promise.

The people performing daily banditry can still write proper, flowery emotes that give off the surface image of “proper rp”, knowing full well that its the fact that they’re making the same people spend hours a day dealing with them, over and over, that is the source of their malicious practice.

I’ve seen this happen countless times, and I feel like you’re a bit too disconnected from the ground reality of RP, since your original post doesn’t account for any of these situations at all.

2 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

The people performing daily banditry can still write proper, flowery emotes that give off the surface image of “proper rp”, knowing full well that its the fact that they’re making the same people spend hours a day dealing with them, over and over, that is the source of their malicious practice.

I’ve seen this happen countless times, and I feel like you’re a bit too disconnected from the ground reality of RP, since your original post doesn’t account for any of these situations at all.

this is why you hire guards 

1 hour ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

It’s also why you build good walls. The problem is that for most of their active playerbase, most cities for some reason can’t convince players into roleplaying an actual guardforce to keep gates manned so they have to use citizen doors and keep their gates open with legit no guards ever present.

That means the raiders always have a way in and since some raiders are opportunistic bandits they will ALWAYS go for these settlements as they’re easy pickings for loot. 

I think that the new war rules are a step forward. Previously, a single warclaim can cause an entire nation to collapse. However, I would like to address one problem I see: I feel that there should be staff intervention if it is asked for. For example, setting up ladders or perhaps siege equipment during a major raid or something like that. Without such, most settlements will be unraidable. However, that’s just my point of view and my suggestion. You may or may not agree with it.

-Panda

4 hours ago, Pan_Porucznik said:

I think that the new war rules are a step forward. Previously, a single warclaim can cause an entire nation to collapse. However, I would like to address one problem I see: I feel that there should be staff intervention if it is asked for. For example, setting up ladders or perhaps siege equipment during a major raid or something like that. Without such, most settlements will be unraidable. However, that’s just my point of view and my suggestion. You may or may not agree with it.

-Panda

that’s the one thing I don’t mind about these rules to be honest. Players should have to think a bit harder about raiding then just finding the one part of wall where the defenders forgot to put an overhang. As it stands, people already try to make their settlements unraidable – just they usually fail because builders are too lazy to parkour around and check. There have been plenty of times on the server where there was no raid laddering, and for most of the time laddering was around, defenders could just put buttons on the walls to stop them. Raids can still happen by finding or making(e.g getting one of your guys hired as a guard recruit and he opens the gate, tunneling out of a guy’s basement, etc.) ways into the settlement. I think the increased difficulty of raiding would deter people raiding just because they’re bored and want PVP and mean that the majority of raids would actually have RP reasoning(or at least some decent RP behind the planning, like the guard infiltration for example). That would also serve to make raids less common. For example, I get a guy who makes me a tunnel out of his basement. As soon as I use it, guards will probably work out whose house it is and evict/close it up. So I'm gonna wait until I need it to use it, I’m not just gonna run in and raid next time I’m a bit bored.

That is all, of course, if non-consensual raids are even allowed now. I’ve heard they’re not, which is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. 

IMO the real issue with raids is the concept of “raiding” and “raid rules” itself, which didn’t always exist on the server(and things worked WAAAAY better before it did), but that’s a long rant for another day. 

2 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

that’s the one thing I don’t mind about these rules to be honest. Players should have to think a bit harder about raiding then just finding the one part of wall where the defenders forgot to put an overhang. As it stands, people already try to make their settlements unraidable – just they usually fail because builders are too lazy to parkour around and check. There have been plenty of times on the server where there was no raid laddering, and for most of the time ladding was around, defenders could just put buttons on the walls to stop them. Raids can still happen by finding or making(e.g getting one of your guys hired as a guard recruit and he opens a door, tunneling out of a guy’s basement, etc.) ways into the settlement. I think the increased difficulty of raiding would deter people raiding just because they’re bored and want PVP and mean that the majority of raids would actually have RP reasoning(or at least some decent RP behind the planning, like the guard infiltration for example). That would also serve to make raids less common.

That is all, of course, if non-consensual raids are even allowed now. I’ve heard they’re not, which is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. 

IMO the real issue with raids is the concept of “raiding” and “raid rules” itself, which didn’t always exist on the server(and things worked WAAAAY better before it did), but that’s a long rant for another day. 

Banditry would be considered different from War raids under these new rules I think. You could still bandit people.

Anyways. Lemme give a quick message to everyone who thinks that this will end all wars on LOTC and destroy the server:

Just make it against the rules to turn down a war completely. It’ll be just like how it was possible to declare war for any reason back in the day, except the fate of the entire community isn’t at stake all the time unless the belligerents hate each other enough to agree on a Total War of complete destruction.

Thus whenever you get bored you can declare war on some random people and negotiate for there to be War Raids or Looting warclaims between the two of you.

It’s not that hard for these rules to deny people from avoiding war entirely tbh.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

3 hours ago, Telanir said:

Hey Wolfkite, I’m surprised you are being this confrontational about it, of all people. You’ve listed people highly qualified to write war rules in the old philosophy and mindset.

ah glad telanir is telling me i dont roleplay

wolfkite stop including me in ‘recruit harrison’ i dont want to write anything lmao

13 minutes ago, Pan_Porucznik said:

-Panda

Hey Panda, when it is asked for we allow it. After all, you can negotiate for any kind of war that you are interested in. If you would like raids to have staff oversight, ladder mechanics, and anything else you want to try out—you absolutely can.

1 minute ago, Telanir said:

Hey Panda, when it is asked for we allow it. After all, you can negotiate for any kind of war that you are interested in. If you would like raids to have staff oversight, ladder mechanics, and anything else you want to try out—you absolutely can.

so no non-war raids?

so if you walk into a settlement with even 2 friends and do anything to break the law, you just get insta-banned?

7 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

so no non-war raids?

so if you walk into a settlement with even 2 friends and do anything to break the law, you just get insta-banned?

Actually, what you’ve described is completely legal. I would say while your roleplay might upset someone, which is fine, we only really care that you take care to provide a conflict that isn’t just to piss someone off. The ultimate sin on LotC is logging on every day purely to spite or upset folks—there are very few people who do this. That kind of mindset never produces roleplay that interests the community or promotes retention. It introduces a very slow and noticeable kind of rot.

3 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Actually, what you’ve described is completely legal. I would say while your roleplay might upset someone, which is fine, we only really care that you take care to provide a conflict that isn’t just to piss someone off. The ultimate sin on LotC is logging on every day purely to spite or upset folks—there are very few people who do this. That kind of mindset never produces roleplay that interests the community or promotes retention. It introduces a very slow and noticeable kind of rot.

well at present what I described is defined as a raid and I’ve gotten in trouble for it before, because I didn’t believe I was raiding. so w/e this business about raids is, you’re gonna wanna redefine what constitutes a raid if you’re going to limit them so severely. if you don’t i guarantee some gm will ban people for my given scenario

6 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

well at present what I described is defined as a raid and I’ve gotten in trouble for it before, because I didn’t believe I was raiding. so w/e this business about raids is, you’re gonna wanna redefine what constitutes a raid if you’re going to limit them so severely. if you don’t i guarantee some gm will ban people for my given scenario

Ah, alright I understand. I don’t want any folks acting in good-faith to be banned, at the end of the day we just want to have a good time. In terms of being specific enough to know what not to do to avoid a ban—yes, there are specific items outlined that you can follow. Once you see the rules themselves tomorrow morning you’ll see what I mean.

54 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

Guards have the right to enjoy their time on LOTC too. And no one considers dealing with the same bandits every day, for potentially hours a day, is fun.

Your logic seems to be guards should be ready to PVP or do combat RP 24/7 so everyone else doesn’t have to, which isn’t how it works.

lmao, I think Warlords might actually have a chance of succeeding now!

This seems interesting, though highly chaotic as no two sides of a war will ever agree on their own rules/terms etc. Looser war rules yes, but almost completely getting rid of them seems like it’ll cause more problems than it fixes. 

How on earth can one make rulings when the rules themselves are not clear cut.