Shadow of the Empire II [RP]

Krefarus

Shadow of the Empire
The Year 700 AD
gTe1wDALa5TP_PH8akQeWybXB9UDaEkFIeooZ8FjZjGHKySn_6uwL9ZrMS5mScpTmHv4ugLFXOembq7rNbXeBKvJc1sj0WrRqvhfQtGyQwOK3d-Qz1K3NMIghn6lkQKNW2IL56NX

Across most of the known world, there is peace. At least officially...
-------------------------=0=-------------------------
Events
In the far east, King Orodes III of Persia hosts grand festivities within the Imperial capital at Ctesiphon. For months, attendees speak of the outrageous grandeur of the event. Allegedly, the now rallying Persian army was paraded through the streets, at least 10,000 strong and accompanied by as many as 40 elephants.

The Frankish Empire inches ever closer to further civil war with the ascension of Charles III. In a controversial political move and an effort to raise more funds for the rebellion in Iberia, taxes on Frankish nobility sees a sharp spike. How such a move sits with the nobility has yet to be seen..

Barbarian incursions into the Frankish frontier continue as usual, by land and by sea. Many villages and monasteries in the northeast are razed. On the Emerald Isle, whispers of finally expelling the Franks can be heard.

A Minor border fort in Andalusia is seized by Imperial forces isolated in Portugal. The fighting is extremely ferocious. After the fort surrendered, the Imperial Governor had every one of the newly captured prisoners flayed one by one in front of a nearby village populace.

Tensions between the Empire and Syracuse reach an all time peak. Apparently the Imperial  Governor felt that barring Syracusan merchants from the city in Tunisia was just retaliation for some minor offense. It can be said that the Despot of Syracuse, a man many have wisely decided not to cross, doesn't feel the same way..

-------------------------=0=-------------------------

You may post your RP and Actions at your leisure, Modposts will be every Sunday/Monday. Make sure your posts have a clearly defined Actions section.
Remember that you have an extra 50,000 Gold for your first turn. All of your starting villages (can be found in rules) must be placed turn 1.

Edited by Krefarus

The Kingdom of Mercia

Image result for Mercia FlagNational Roleplay:
    The noise of construction was music to the ears of Aethelred, many a Ceorl came to serve under the Aeldorman of Derb. Eagerly they clatter and produce their homes and hovels, hundreds of peasants had come under the orders of the king with the fort springing up. Carts upon carts of stone, wood, hay and people all under the watch of god. Aethelred shuffled in his saddle and flexed his right hand on his hilt. “I’m entrusting you’ll keep my land protected.” Eormenred looked to his majesty and smiled, “My men are the strongest in Mercia, ten of them alone could take on a hundred danes.” A couple of the men laughed but Aethelred only stared onward at the rolling hills of his great land. Much more was on the king’s mind but this fort. A landscape was out there waiting for the mighty Anglo to take it.

Silver Expenditure and Actions: 62,500 Silver
(37,500) 5 Market-stalls are built in Tamworth city, the growing populace happily trading their produce there. [5000+]

(10,000 Silver) To further secure the borders of the kingdom, Aethelred grants Aeldorman Eormenred a fort in Derb for his services.  [-500 Silver]

(10,000 Silver) After witnessing a thane’s helmet literally fall apart in the man’s hands, Aethelred orders that the smithies of Mercia build steel for the men. [T3]

(5,000 Gold Saved)

(Trade orders are sent out to the nearby ANGLO-EMPIRE territories, the danes and norwegians ignored.)

Edited by Devland99

B2Ylo8G.png

The Most Holy & Righteous Kingdom of Lèon

A blue sky over a crowded courtyard. The yellowing, sand-colored walls hemmed in the citizens into a tight mob, separated from the center of the yard by a line of soldiers, their shields up, their spears held straight. The people were remarkably docile, standing and watching with only a few calls and curses.

The sun burned down upon them all, scorching away the few hints of life that crept up the walls in spring. The vines were dry now, dead, incinerated by the mid-summer heat. 

Bartolome stood within the shadow of the balcony overlooking the main courtyard. He could see the city below, spreading out across the hill with its red tiles and white houses. A shimmer of heat rose from it all, warping the landscape into a wavering image, like some sort of heat-induced hallucination.

He was tugged back to the present by the words echoing around the court, bouncing off the walls and scrambling into the balcony. 

As such, you, Gonzales de Arulo are seen guilty of murder, treason and theft in the eyes of King and God. You have killed your kin, betrayed the Kingdom of Lèon and stolen from the armory in an attempt to lead your men to join the Heathen Empire.” 

Bartolome made a mental note to commend his steward for the excellent choice of orator.

Thus does our Brother-King, Bartolome Cristobal Alonso de Lèon sentence you to a merciful death by beheading.” A pause, a cough that carried over the dead-silent crowd. “To be carried out now.

A small hand tugged at Bartolome’s robes and he looked down from the proceedings. A pair of young eyes stared back at him, full of innocence and interest. “Uncle Bartolome, what is going on?”

A young boy with such a heavy destiny resting upon his shoulders. Bartolome knelt beside him and pinched his cheek lightly before opening his arms. “Come, I will show you, Juan.

The boy leapt into his arms eagerly, his small shape resting firmly against his chest as Bartolome rose once more, his old bones creaking in protest at the added weight. “Look closely now, Juan. Observe the man kneeling before the block of wood. He is an evil man. He defied the word of his King and the word of God.

Why?” said the boy, his voice high and curious.

“Some men cannot be saved from the darkness spread by Satan,” said Bartolome, his voice full of regret. Gonzales looked so different now. He was old, withered, his face twisted by fear, his skin sallow from his time in the cells. What have the years done to you, old friend? Thought Bartolome, shaking his head slowly. Once they had been brothers, or as close as could be. Now, upon his return to Lèon, he found the man thieving like a common man, disrupting the Kingdom’s noble cause. Mercy to a man such as this would be anathema to the word of God.

He put a worn finger beneath the boy’s chin and lifted it up. “Watch closely now, as divine retribution befalls him.

An axe rises, an axe falls. A spurt of blood and a rolling head. The crowd ooh’s and aah’s and begins to disperse as the orator’s voice echoes through the city, multiplied by a dozen others. “Lord Constantino de Alencare shall be sentenced in the morrow, for treason against King and God, followed by…

The word would go on for days, unchanged but for the name. As Bartolome turned back into the keep, his nephew’s shocked body held against his chest, he felt a small dart of pain burrow into his chest. He may spill no blood, but his words would. It was the duty of the righteous to correct the wrongs of the weak, but even the most holy of duties brought a burden down upon the men who carried them out.

Financial Actions

15.400 G + 50.000 + 2 Grain

65.400 G + 2 Grain

One village is built up to become a town, as the people of Lèon prepare to establish their own hegemony upon the peninsula. The town of Lèon is formed from the holdings of the House of Lèon, to act as the new capital for the Kingdom. (10.000)

One village is built! (10.000)

One port is established within the coastal city of Ribadessela. (10.000)

Two great farmsteads are built to support the new armies. (10.000)

Four small, scorpion-esque ballistae are built. They are intended to be used as rapidly deployable and mobile elements that can be used to support ambushes or short skirmishes. (Two units of regular ballistae. [4]) (4600)

Two regiments of archers. [1000] Green, T1. (7.000)

One regiment of medium infantry. [500] Regular, T3. (7.000)

One regiment of light cavalry. [500] Veteran, T1. (5.000)

Upgrading one unit of light cavalry to Veteran. (1000)

A donation to the Church. (300)

Mod / Player actions

-Trade is requested with

The Andalusian Kingdom

The Republic of Rome

The Kingdom of Mercia

The Kingdom of Wales

-A council is called in Lèon, and the Iberian Empire and the Andalusian Kingdom are invited to discuss the current state of the Iberian Peninsula. Should they send envoys, they will be welcomed at the gates of Lèon and given all the luxuries that the embattled kingdom can afford.

-The Andalusians receive an addendum to their letter. This section is personally penned by King Bartolome. In it, he requests a serious discussion about a possible alliance of the House of Lèon with the House ruling Andalusia. He wishes to tie his nephew and heir to the throne to their own house through the marriage of their most amenable princess, when he comes of age. He is currently 2. He hopes to prove the worth of the Kingdom of Lèon by ensuring a great victory against the Empire in the North.

-The army is deployed to counter-act the Imperial advance… (on discord)

-A missive is sent to the Pope, along with a donation of 300 gold ducats, held in a thick, iron-bound chest.

The missive reads as such:

To his holiness, Pope Urban II.

I pen this letter within my tent, having just conducted my morning prayers before the tomb of Saint James the Great. It lifts my heart to know that his holy presence inspires this land with the touch of God. 

Yet, the light in my heart is dimmed by uncertainty. For I know not what judgement your holiness casts upon the Kingdom of Lèon and its people. Would that I could have your blessing, as we liberate ourselves from the incarceration put upon us by the Empire of the Franks. Would that I could have your blessing to found a most christian and holy Kingdom within my lands. One that would bow before the authority of God and the Pope. 

I beg thee for an answer, and invite your most revered envoys to present themselves at the Tomb of Saint James the Great, upon which I would beg your permission to build a great church in honor of our God.

-Brother-King Bartolome Cristobal Alonso de Lèon

The Despotate of Tarentum

v8EUgKA.png

Aleksandros began his morning with a rather lengthy court session to get his affairs straight. While wholly uneventful, it gave him a better understanding of the country he ran, the power he held. He continued on, starting into the barracks and spending time alongside the men he commanded, the men he fed, the men he entrusted with his life and the lives of his people. He was impressed by their discipline, their rigor and their spirit, and left content with the men he chose to command them alongside him. Then began his day as a ruler. He called forth his advisers and his council, ordering forward the nation’s ledger. His first act, he decided, was going to be getting a cartographer to map out his area. What do I rule if I don’t even have a visual of my territory, he reasoned, and his council agreed.

And after several long days of waiting his cartographer delivered. What he saw was a surprise, to say the least. Three occupied villages along the boot and that was all. He shook his head, sending for his council once more. Aleksandros ordered two more villages to be populated by men and women taken equally from the villages his cartographer had stumbled upon. It was their duty to expand the influence and hegemony of Tarentum, he argued, a duty they were bound to fulfill with glee if ordered to. He was only partially right, but they begrudgingly agreed to leave their home and populate the coastal countryside – with a stipend granted to each of the families and supplies offered forward by the state, of course. I’ll be a just ruler, Aleksandros said, one who won’t force a man to do anything he wouldn’t do himself. And so two more villages were formed along the southern coast of his territory. Farmland would be settled in the countryside to feed his people and his troops alongside these villages. A port would further be built in the capital city of Taras to support trade and domestic tranquility, and roads built about the capital to further this goal all the same.

He then tackled a different issue of the day – trade. While his stately affairs as well as his martial ones were largely settled, his inter-stately affairs were not. He would settle this by summoning forth several men to serve as mounted messengers and bring forward a message to the nations surrounding him. Aleksandros had had his days of war and conflict, and this only spurred forward his decision to try and bring peace to the area, just as he had brought peace to Tarentum when he led the revolution against Frankish influence in the area. This offer of trade and mutual prosperity would reach the following countries in the area:

Rome

Epirus

Macedon

Byzantium

even Egypt and Judea, by sea!

The message sent would read eloquently yet concisely, straight to the point. Tarentum offered trade and peace alongside a promise of nonaggression for a period of two years ((2 turns)). If such an offer was denied then the messenger would make his leave and move on with his duties.

A further offer is attached to Aleksandro’s letters to Epirus and Byzantium. It reads:

“ Hello, my friend. I am the Despot of Tarentum, de facto ruler of the Boot of Italy and bringer of peace and prosperity to my people. Though I am a man born of war, I am quite tired of it. While my army hungers for a conflict to engage in, I know best of it. I know that my people are tired of such things. And so I decide it best to offer forward a defensive agreement between our two nations. If I go to war, you’ll be called forward to defend my people and my nation, and so the same will go vice versa. Our nations will fight for one another should a wolf come by looking to prey on our people. I urge you to consider such an offer and send an envoy to my court in Taras should you be interested.”

His Despotic Majesty Aleksandros Callias, Basileus of Tarentum, Guardian of the Boot of Italy, and Protector of the Tarantino Peoples 

Actions

Two villages are founded utilizing excess population from the current ones! ((20,000))

One additional tile of farmland is plotted out to support growing population. ((5,000))

A port is constructed in the capital city of Taras to support trade relations with their neighbors. ((10,000))

Roads are laid in the capital city to further support trade. (([Level 1, +2 Trade Relations] 20,000))

Total: 55,000

Setting 5,000 aside.

Trade requests are sent to:

ROME, EPIRUS, MACEDON, BYZANTIUM, EGYPT and JUDEA

Defensive pacts are sent to:

EPIRUS and BYZANTIUM

Image result for macedon flag alexander

THE KINGDOM OF MACEDON

ACTIONS

-King Parmenion I, descendant of Philip and Alexander, is as militant as his ancestors. In the year 700 Anno Domini, the third year of his reign, he opts to drastically expand his military power and strength, seeing his nation surrounded on all sides by potential aggressors. His reforms are far reaching, including a major redesign of the Royal Hypaspists, and a mass drive to reequip much of the current standing army. Most notably of all, for the first time in centuries, the Royal House of Macedonia reforms the Companion Cavalry to serve the young Parmenion as they served Philip and Alexander.

--Heavy Infantry Researched (10’000 Gold)

--500 Heavy Cavalry and 2500 Medium Infantry upgraded to T3 Equipment (12’000 Gold)

--A unit of T3 Seasoned Companion Cavalry is raised (14’000 Gold)(500 Men)

--Three units of Seasoned Macedonian Peltasts are raised at T3 (18’000)(1500 Men)

--1000 T1 Light Infantry are disbanded.

-1 Farm is constructed in Heraklea Lyncestis. (5’000)

-In an effort to bolster the Macedonian economy, a series of diplomatic envoys are made to various states in the Mediterranean, seeking trading partners. Emissaries are sent to:

-JUDEA

-EGYPT

-BYZANTIUM

-AND TO THE MACEDONIAN CLIENT STATE OF EPIRUS

Edited by The_Mad_Skylord

Senatus Populusque Romanus

WzUvFeyMehPGXdmyIiNPN48m8a12ZV9Y23FcElSYiYQlfEmjIwWS1cWX4kfTs28MKSilE-ysnwBJInzMRpVeCkjD_J61RKOnqM8xU1Gt9IAd9t7QerSf84OfmCF6SYFmGfonl2dx

The halls of the Curia Maria was abuzz with activity as the Senators of Rome, Patrician and Plebeian alike bickered between one another. It had become increasingly divided upon matters of the state, as most Republics do – the dominant faction, those siding with the Dictator Manius wished for the aggressive expansion of the Republic in order to secure a source of wealth for the heartland, while the more moderate Populares tried to bring forth reforms dedicated towards the common people of the Republic. A fruitless squabble to be sure, one which Manius proved inpatient.

After all, a primary cause for his ascension to the role of Dictator was to make rid of these same petty squabbles – from which he’d utilize his supreme control over the Senate, vetoing many attempts that sought to seek the establishment of policies that would only give way to increased corruption. Less than a year into his tenure and many already whispered that the power was making its way to Manius’ mind – many compared him to the old Frankish Imperial Governors, or worse, compared to the Tyrant Kings of Rome’s early history.

It all was beneath the Dictator, he felt no urge to show needless displays of power – he had a broken Republic that he had to fix. One so rooted in the affairs of corruption and nepotism, where the ideals of the Roman people were being corroded. He had to find a way to solve these issues, and thus he came about on a decision. A controversial one to be sure.

For the first time in centuries, the act of war was proposed to the Senate, in which it saw the Republic in a direct and open conflict with a foreign state. The Lombards to the north have long been insubordinate to the wishes of the Republic and proved a worthwhile target for the expansionist ideals. The Greeks to the south would have to be dealt with at a later date, as the Republic’s Frumentarii reported of an intricate system of alliances forming between them.

Conflict however, was no mystery to the Roman People as a whole. Many times have the great minds of Rome been utilized by the Imperial Frankish Empire, developing and improving upon military doctrines. Roman Legions were utilized regularly by the Franks, their worth proved upon the battlefield. The peninsula was one of the Crown Jewel of the Empire after all.

And so the motion was passed, the Lombards would be declared upon within the year.

_3RIoi6pmJGxyWKfPxJQMoM3FwuKNyPAeTXmu24rB4veeoqOX3XiyTJ82WNssXm3El__llIn3ZQb9VcgLj-I_TAESslBaJURsIt9uGBppWPeArVSdbP2QOTI-ciivybHzLKcIxto

Republican Actions of the Year 700

Republican Coffers: 67,750

Gold Related

The already present markets and forums of Rome are expanded upon, bolstering the City’s economic capabilities. [Two Markets built in Rome | 15000/15000]

The villages and hamlets west of Rome are formally centralized into one center of governance, as the region of Ostia is transformed into its own Prefecture. [Upgrading Village to Town | 10000/10000]

[Recruiting 2 (1000) units of Medium Infantry, T3, Regular Experience | 14000/14000]

[Recruiting 1 (500) unit of Light Cavalry, T3, Regular Experience | 5000/5000]

As the Roman Republic seemingly readies itself for war, a total survey of the Republic’s Legions is underway. The objective of doing so, is to select the most foremost candidates to be recruited into the Praetorian Guard. Being the only military unit capable of bearing arms within the City of Rome, it is mobilized there. [Praetorian Unique recruited, T3, Regular | 13000/13000]

To keep up with the growth of the Republic, two Farmlands are established in the regions adjacent to the Capital. [Two Farmlands are constructed | 10000/10000]

Diplomacy

Although suspicious of the offer for trade from such a far flung and war embroiled nation, the Republic nonetheless accepts the Leonese request for the establishment of formal trade between the two. [Accepting Trade Offer from Leon]

The offer of trade extended by the Despotate of Tarentum is accepted. The Romans hold no love for their Greek neighbors, but they are however, fond of foreign goods. [Accepting Trade Offer from Tarentum]

To their sister Republic, Rome offers Venice the extension of formal trade between the two, from which merchants can flourish within both nations. [Sending Trade Offer to the Republic of Venice]

An envoy is sent south along the coast of Italy, eventually reaching Sicily, from where the diplomat heads to the City of Syracuse. It requests a meeting with the Despot of the Island, extending the Roman offer for Trade. [Sending Trade Offer to the Despotate of Syracuse]

Stockpiling 750g

Image result for flag of epirus rome total war

THE KINGDOM OF

EPIRUS

Phyrrus VI has been graced with the acquisition of the throne of Epirus, but the road ahead shall not be an easy one. For the young King shall have to contend with outside influences of the neighbouring powerful Kingdom of Macedon, as well as the resurgent republics of Rome and Venice across the Adriatic. To counterbalance these new threats and to preserve his countries independence he must seek out allies and modernise his countries economy.

Diplomats would be sent to Athens, Venice, Tarentum and Byzantium seeking out alliances, and trade. Meanwhile Phyrrus would begin construction projects around the country, building two new villages as well as converting his capital Dodona and the coastal village of Ephyria into a town. Additionally two farms would be constructed as well as a market in Dodona. The remaining 2,000 gold would be stockpiled.

Actions:

Diplomats sent to Athens, Venice, Tarentum and Byzantium seeking out alliances, and trade.

Two villages constructed. (20,000/20,000)

Two villages upgraded to towns (20,000/20,000)

Two farmlands built (10,000/10,000)

9,500 Gold stockpiled.

Edited by UnusualBrit

latest?cb=20091213095911

Imperial Province of Egypt

Storming out of the palace halls of Alexandria, Dagobert Thurginson was quite the sight. A massive brute with supposed Swedish king blood from the long distance past. It certainly showed with his bushy orange hair, and muscle. He was encased in segmented plate in eastern fashion. A Long-axe was strapped to his back, and a eastern dagger on his hip. It seemed he was quite mad, as he stomped down the stairs. Tiered rows of Veteran Legionnaires [Of the 1st ‘Nile’ legion] awaited him. His personal retinue, and officers in times of war. Barking out an order, they wheel in perfect order, and march out of the palace. General Dagobert had just been exiled from Alexandria, and ordered to march his army somewhere that’s not here.

The man who ordered his exile, was hardly a impressive sight. Not anymore, with his wife dead. Once he was a Crown Prince, one that could of perhaps inherited the Empire itself. Who knows what would of happened. Five decades ago, yet it still brought a pain to his heart. Liudolf Merovech, a forgotten member of the Imperial Family. Cousin to the old Emperor, and now Governor of the rich Egyptian province. Long ago he had been far more healthy, and renown in battle. His cousin and then Emperor had sent him and his Legion to assist the Egyptian province.

pic-3.jpg

Back then Persia seemed hardly like a threat to the entire Empire. But their rapid advance through the Imperial East startled everyone. Despite his best efforts, Liudolf was but one Legion amongst many. Eventually so many of the higher ups died, command was thrust in his hands. As a distant Imperial member, he took the role with great vigor. Though they still suffered defeat after defeat, Liudolf kept the army together, and fighting. Finally Perisa pulled out, after negotiating with Merovech. But this was just the start of his troubles..

With the Empire in such chaos, Egypt was forgotten, alongside Lord Merovech. His Legion was all but wiped out, and replaced with local franks and greeks. The battered Imperial army was spread out, and incapable of doing anything but holding. And then the revolt crisis led to complete chaos. Four decades ago the Libyan Christians and Jewish in Judea denounced the Empire. Egypt had been kept far more stable under Liudolf’s grip, and remained loyal. At first Lord Merovech tried to rescue the scattered garrisons cut off in both lands. This led to multiple battles, and yet more died. And it was vain, as like candles in the dark, the garrisons flickered out one by one.

And for forty long years Lord Merovech has held Egypt together through his iron will, council, generals, and wife. The Empire had abandoned him, but he has not abandoned it. Remaining loyal, Egypt is a shining beacon of light. It’s trade and grain make it rich, and their army is on the rise to great heights. The Nile is the lifeblood of the Province, and the Core heartland is rich.

SC5-8-07.jpg

Income; 76,225k Gold

Actions

Building 2 Ports -20k

Recruiting 2 Units of Wayward Sons T3 Regular -23k

Recruiting 1 Unit of ‘Companion Cavalry’ T3 Regular -14k

Recruiting 1 Unit of Squires T3 Regular -8.5k

Giving 10 Units T3 armor -10k

Treasury +725

Accepting proposed trade deals from Tarentum, Macedon

Offering trade deals to Judea and Arabia [Mod/Raul]

Edited by GrimBeard

Clan  Ó Néill

TNslpqrQMIzm4wvBy5D2Jf_CMSp_51VUkCk6uiBR3BHuCEZsJROY4bJOzUWtw7PQ9cbmea4a4qWRTlGOy2_7I7Ng2uxyc3wLO2fKc3fr7Fz17oZwUkTpICsK9ORcwooZV5xBcPc-

Leader: Aodh Mór Ó Néill

Aodh Mór Ó Néill had spent the greater part of his life off in the northern half of the island, with his clan, and the Northern Uí Néill. This was one of the last bastions of Gaelic power on the island. Most of the other large clans pledged fealty to the empire and in recent years even, a Gaelic Governor of the island was chosen. Everyone else seed to accept things and go on living their lives. But not Aodh’s family. Living out in the far North they hardly ever had contact with the Empire. They hardly went that far north. Their roads never went anywhere near the north. And they had almost no power up there, where people still lived the way that had long before the Empire. Aodh’s family had seen the decline of the Empire on the island and made sure they completely held control of the north so they had a base to fight the empire from. Then in the last few years, after forcing the Empire to its breaking point on the island and almost completely removing it from the Island, except for the city of Corcaigh and the surrounding lands from it. The rest of the island fell under the control of either the O’Neill’s, or the Tuamhain’s. 

Though this is only temporary though, as his father, and Aodh himself wants all of the island under their control. The Gaelic people of the island spent hundreds, thousands of years fighting each other for power or land. It seemed there was no end in sight to that. Then the Empire came and forcibly ended that cycle of violence and forced their foreign traditions and culture upon the Gaelic Irish. The O’Neill family will make sure that doesn’t continue any further. The island would be theirs, and they would form their own Kingdom out of it. And then after that was done Aodh would pursue his dream of exploring the sea’s for a new far off land to explore. One such place, a land at the edge of the world, somewhere  far off the coast of Ireland. 

But now, Aodh’s time has come. Hopefully he can quickly strike his enemies and press his rightful claim as High King of all Ireland. First he needs to build up his funds, and his power base further to prepare for a war.

HFeilWWDJyvatvzPXwH57ll6h7j0jwAKUdAnSM75B_lNYfQdxP1T3WtsAp0wBBVqWIHFnWdzrjLlBSWjTpu_YRq8Oiu4oBTSEuqxozhzDzJr2N1hMMynTn2YFxKwOGVC_3a6W9QH

(Aodh Mór Ó Néill)

Actions

-Reinstituted Brehon Law

• -Built 4 farms (mod)

• -Proclaims himself High King of Ireland

• -Built two towns (mod)

-15k saved for next turn (mod)

Edited by Otto Hohenzollern

K O N U N G D Ó M R   T A N M A R K A R

kingdom_of_denmark____coa_grunge_flag__c

The Danes, Jutes, Angles, and numerous other tribes had long fought amongst each other towards no real end. This would not last. The christianisation of the people of Jutland and the islands of the Straits not only brought more civility to the tribes and their chieftains, but gave them far greater awareness of the lands beyond theirs. Haraldr, chieftain of the Danes and most ambitious, sought to see and conquer many of these lands for him and his people. To this end, he embarked on a prodigiously successful campaign of unification of the tribes, and soon establishing the Kingdom of Denmark. 

In the years since Haraldr’s unification, the Danish have rapidly expanded their influence in the North Sea. A sizable fleet was constructed for the conquest of tribes in the Low Countries, and Haraldr granted his son Sigurd the honour of leading these conquests. Not long after, Haraldr passed into the next world, hailed as a hero by his people, and was succeeded by Sigurd. Sigurd was not short on ambition either, and so after the Norwegians and Swedish embarked on their own conquests in England, Sigurd sent his own son, Hardeknud, to carve out a piece of Britain for Denmark. The East English were still recovering from Sweden’s conquests, and Hardeknud found little trouble in subduing them. 

However, this conquest’s glory was overshadowed by great tragedy. As Hardeknud led Denmark’s armies across the sea, the Kingdom of Norway staged a simultaneous invasion of the Danish Low Countries and Sjaelland. In the former, they were only partially successful, and a stalemate soon emerged. However, Sjaelland was taken totally, and the capital of Kaupmannahǫfn sacked. King Sigurd was captured and publicly executed by the Norwegian forces.

Hearing of the news, Hardeknud sailed back to Jutland and gathered the surviving lords in Áross, the site of his new court. On his coronation he vowed vengeance against those who had taken their lands and killed their King. Prosperity and new heights of glory were there for the taking, he promised, and the Kingdom of Denmark would be whole again.

---

A few years have passed since Hardeknud prematurely succeeded his father. Forces have been gathered and new ships constructed for the purposes of reclaiming Sjaelland and their holdings in East Frisland and Gelderland. This year, however, Hardeknud has insisted upon the construction of infrastructure to facilitate both the reconquest and the general prosperity of the realm. Simple dirt roads are dug throughout the realm, even in England and the Low Countries, and a port is constructed in Áross. Both were to provide much benefit to traders and merchants, which would no doubt bring more money to the coffers in the form of taxes and tariffs. Recognising this, a number of the more affluent traders petition the king for a charter to establish a market. To their joy, Hardeknud not only agreed, but also granted a sizable investment towards its construction. Wealth would be the key to victory, he counsels.

In lieu of his own words, Hardeknud attempts to establish Danish trade across the North Sea. Pursuing this, the King seeks agreements with his neighbours in Sweden, and with the Irish and Scottish. Perhaps recognising the untapped potential of the German tribes, he also sends envoys down the Elbe and Weser rivers to seek trade with the Saxons and the Sicrii. Hardeknud also sends a few additional envoys to Sweden, and make talks of alliance with the Swedish King.

But this is not to say the year does not feature yet more military build-up. Dissatisfied with the current state of equipment of his army, the King orders steel arms and armour for his entire army. Furthermore, a small host of the highly mobile Húskarlar for which Denmark was famed is raised, and they too are outfitted with steel. Spies are sent to the Low Countries, Sjaelland, and Norway itself to establish the scope of Norwegian forces in each of these areas, hopefully aided by friendly locals in the former two’s case.The reconquest would not be easy, and so Denmark would need all advantages.

S U M M A R Y

Tier 1 Roads [20,000 Gold]

Port in Áross [10,000 Gold]

Market in Áross [7,500 Gold]

Trade Offers to Sweden, the Saxons, the Sicrii, Clan Thomond, the Highlanders

Trade deal concluded with Clan O’Neill

Envoys to Sweden

Upgrading 400 Heavy Infantry and 3,000 Light infantry to T3 [14,000 Gold]

Training 500 T3 Húskarlar [11,000 Gold]

Scouting Norwegian Low Countries, Sjaelland, and Norway for Troops / Ships [1,000 Gold]

100 Gold Remaining

Kingdom of Denmark Statistics

Edited by hellfiazz

O263nBkQ2y8uPCeVc9ta68fRz_SBHXn9znLOQWJYIxSlUX2remYEla-ZgnHWCeCR9j7O2dL3Zb15HuHr43oSQeTKopFh3G75PyCyr119LKOyJrv2_AzQ7ryK8BBf8vXbc-ukqy6Q

AVAR KHAGANATE

RULER: IRRIK, KAGAN OF THE AVAR PEOPLES

TRADE PARTNERS: N/A

STANDING ALLIANCES: N/A

“What is your will, my Kagan?”

For numerous decades now, the Pannonian Basin has been under the rules of the Avar peoples. Said to have been driven from their homeland, they have migrated westward and established a foothold upon central Europe. The Basin has proved to be a stronghold, as the Avar peoples have been hard to stamp out. The Avars are masters of horse, utilizing their steeds to descend upon their foes with lightning ferocity,  loosing a torrential hail of arrows or impaling their foes upon the tip of their lance.

The tribal confederation that is the Avar Khaganate is sometimes uneasy, though it has survived throughout the ages. The various chieftains swear loyalty to their Kagan, and in return are afforded numerous rights. This system has somewhat alleviated the administrative pressure that is the expanse of the Pannonian Basin.

The new Kagan is practical and traditional. His rise was not met with challenge by the chieftains. Respectable enough, they willingly submitted to his rule. On his coronation, he called for the resumption of summer raids into the fertile surrounding lands. He calls forth many more riders, which subsequently flock to his banner, in search of loot and plunder. The Khaganate goes to battle once more.

FINANCES & ACTIONS

[Mod] Trade offers sent to the Crimeans, the Scirii, Saxons, Vandals, and Byzantium

[Mod] Raids are launched against Venice’s eastern territories, in order to force the Venetians to pay tribute. If no such arrangement is had, the raids would resume normally.

15,000g Constructing 3 Farms

10,000g Constructing Village

20,250 Recruiting 3 Unit of Regular T3 Horsemasters

11,250 Recruiting 1 Unit of Regular T3 Qhagan Guards

2,000 to treasury

Image result for byzantine empire coat of arms

Kingdom of Byzantium

700 AD

Royal Family

King: Alexios Darius II age 45

Heir: Justinain Darius age 18

Prince Alexios Darius age 12

Princess Maria Darius age 15

Prince Justin Darius age 40

King Alexios walks along the ramparts, overlooking the great city of Constantinople. He looks out on the city which his ancestor Constantine built at the founding of Byzantium. For twenty years he's ruled Byzantium, and for twenty years his Kingdom has been idle as the world around them changed. The Empire to the west has been weakened their influence now barely goes beyond their borders. Now is time for the fledgling Kingdom of Byzantium to look beyond its own borders. 

King Alexios sends a summons to his council, his closest advisors wait for him in the throne room. Cicero, the King's chancellor steps forward  “Your majesty we’ve received trade offers from The Despotate of Tarentum, Macedon, Epirus, Egypt, and the Avar tribe.” 

“Accept them all, if we are to expand our Kingdom we must first expand our trade,” Alexios nods toward Cicero. “What about the alliance offers from Tarentum and Epirus?” 

“Yes your majesty, Tarentum and Epirus both have asked for a defensive alliance.” 

“We shall accept then, we must secure our western border if we are to expand east.” Alexios rests on his throne, scanning the men before him. “Where is my son, I asked him to attend these meetings.”

“I believe Prince Justinian was within his chambers with. . . company.” Cicero shakes his head, “If the boy spent as much time learning as he did whoring he would be a great King.”

Alexios let out a sigh, “Agreed, maybe a term of service in the army will set him straight.” Alexios motions one of the generals within the room, “Marus I wish for you to take my son to our eastern provinces with you.” 

“Of course your majesty,” Marcus places his hand to his heart and bows. “I shall make a model soldier by the time he's returned.” 

Alexios nods toward Marcus, “That is all then, Cicero I place you in charge of urban development” Alexios rises from the throne room and departs.

Actions

Two villages are founded utilizing excess population from the current ones ((20,000))

A port is constructed in the capital city of Constantinople ((10,000))

Roads are laid in the capital city to further support trade. (([Level 1, +2 Trade Relations] 25,000))

Another unit of Medium infantry is trained in the capital ((4,000))

Farms are built outside the capital to support the growing army ((5,000))

Total: 64,000

500 gold left

Edited by Imperium

World Events

After a surprising defeat during the approach to Leon, the Duke Sigismund Arudin is surprisingly left with his head, and his command. Rumours have begun to filter that the remains of his forces are being supplemented with a second, full legion.

In Andalusia, the Imperials win yet another victory later in the year. After hearing about the Battle outside of Leon, the Governor orders every captured rebel to crucified upside down, and left to rot in the Mediterranean sun on the Leonese border.

Across the Adriatic coast, death and dying is plentiful.  Word of the ferocity inflicted by Avar horsemen spreads far and fast, many call them the Scourge of God

King Orodes III of Persia embarks on a campaign to the north. A host of 15,000 strong at his back, he plans to subjugate the tribes and peoples of Anatolia.

The Kingdom of Mercia

Villages begin to pop up across Merica, opening hundreds of tracts of potential farmland, and thousands of more people to tax!

The construction of the new fort goes well, and is completed by next year. Truly, it will serve as a bulwark against the all too troublesome hordes of northmen to the east and north.

The men rejoice at the newly forged armor, and morale sees a sharp increase. Surely, our king is a glorious one..

The fellow Angloids accept the trade agreements...

The Most Holy & Righteous Kingdom of Leon

The major victory over Duke Sigismund’s force on the approaches to Leon resonates throughout the Peninsula. Envoys congratulating Lord Teodoro on his clever strategy arrive from both Iberia and Andaluasia.

The request to hold a council is denied by the Iberians. Though, it is accepted by the Andaluasians, who suffered a crushing defeat in the south against an Imperial army. The offer to arrange a marriage apparently peaks an interest with the King of Andalusia, who states he is open to discuss it further.

After many weeks, a response from Duke Baudry of Aragon arrives. The letter is addressed to King Bartolome himself, and stamped with Baudry’s seal. (discord)

Despotate of Tarentum

The refurbishment of the nation’s roads is hailed as a masterful decision on Aleksandro’s part. Troops move much faster and tolls can extracted on merchants much more efficiently, bringing more wealth to the people. Truly, a  wise decision.

Kingdom of Macedon

The overhaul of the Macedonian army is well received among the nobility and peasants alike. Macedon has stagnated for too long, and bent to too many foreign kings. Perhaps the time to reclaim her rightful place is soon upon us?

SPQR

The military expansion is praised by many senators and plebs alike. The Roman legions will drive back the Greeks, Barbarians, and Venetians as they had defeated the Franks decades earlier!

Both Venice and Syracuse, always eager to make some extra coin, accept the trade agreement.

Epirus

Construction across the kingdom goes well, and many are optimistic about the reign of the young King Phyrrus VI. Despite the size of his realm, and the potential enemies which surround him on all sides, Epirotes are a tough people who will not so easily accept foreign reign.

Imperial Province of Egypt

The Sultanate of Arabia accepts the request to begin trading.

Legions gather in the desert and in the Nile. A numerous force, headed by a strong man. Where could they be preparing to march?

Clan O’Neill

Aodh Mor O'Neill’s claim to High King of Ireland is met with thousands  oaths of fealty, and many more praises. Still, he is not yet king of the Whole Island. To the west, the Thomonds muster as they always do, and to the south, the Imperials cling to the city of Cork. The last bastion of Imperial rule remains, untouched.

Kingdom of Denmark

The offer of trade agreements are accepted across the board.

An Envoy returns from Sweden (Discord)

The scouting of Norwegian Sjaelland and the Lowcountries can only go so well as scouts are unable to penetrate too deeply into Norwegian territory. However, it seems the Norwegian King is rallying just like the Danish one.A larger part of his forces seemed to have gathered in Sjaelland, and only an auxiliary detachment in the Lowcountries.

Scourge of God

The Crimeans, Scirii, Saxons, & Vandals all accept the offer of trade.

The Khaganate rides once more, in search of loot and plunder, and they find it in abundance. The wealthy, and largely unguarded coastal regions of Venice make for easy pickings for the Khagan’s riders. For several months they rape, pillage, and slave their way across the coast before the Venetians come forward with an offer. Though, the envoy is clearly in visible pain as he discusses giving away money to some animal skin wearing ooga boogas. (+30,000 Gold from raids), (Offer of 5,000 yearly from Venice)

Kingdom of Byzantium

Construction proceeds without issue. Besides that, nothing much of note transpires within the Kingdom of the Byzantines.

The newly recruited men cause some minor unrest within the existing military units. They haven't even been trained properly!

Image result for flag of epirus rome total war

THE KINGDOM OF

EPIRUS

’You are to assemble your army at the village of Edessa, lower Macedon.’ Read the command from his new liege, the Hegemon of Macedon. Phyrrus was unsure of the target though he guessed it would be Athens due to it’s relative political vulnerability since none of the other Greek states had allied themselves to the Athenians. This promised a chance for the share in plunder for his realm, but Phyrrus himself would not go instead he would send his brother Alexander in his stead to lead half of Epirus’s armies for the Hegemon, while the rest remained to guard the Kingdom. The young king would focus on his own realm and the defense of it. 

As the Epirote host marched off from Dodona the King turned to a map of his Kingdom, and there was one clear issue. The infrastructure was extremely lacking, the road systems of old had faded away leaving paths in their stead, this could not do. If he was to knit the realm together it needed a complex system of roads. The rest of the income of the Kingdom would be stockpiled for future construction.

Actions:

Epirus obeys the call to arms from their overlord, Macedon

Roads built (20,000/20,000)

Fort built to guard the mountain passes through the Pindus Mountains (5,000/5,000)

600 Gold stockpiled.

Trade offer sent to Syracuse

Edited by UnusualBrit

vcKvHTZ.png

Kingdom of Byzantium

701 AD

Royal Family

King: Alexios Darius II age 46

Heir: Justinain Darius age 19

Prince Alexios age 13

Princess Maria age 16

Prince Justin age 41

Commanders

Marus Salvo (Supreme commander of the east) Age 30

Lukas Drakos (Supreme commander of the west) Age 35

Trade with:

Macedon, Epirus, Tarentum, Egypt. Avars, and Judea

Defensive alliance:

Tarentum, and Epirus

Alexios sits once more on his throne room, nothing much of note has transpired within the Kingdom of the Byzantines in the past year. Marcos Salvo and Prince Justinian has departed to the east, along with most of the army and new recruits. 

“Your Majesty,” Cicero’s voice breaks the silence. “The new villages to the west have just delivered their first taxes. I believe we should put the funding into more farms”

“Yes, of course I trust you to handle such tasks Cicero,” Alexios leans back in the throne his gaze shifting toward one of the Generals in the room. “Lukas, with most of the army away in the east, I wish you to inspect the theme system. Should we ever be attack it must be ready to be called on.” Lukas places a hand to his heart and bows. “It shall be done Your Majesty.”

The doors to the throne room are pushed open as a young page rushes in holding a letter. “Your Majesty, news from the east.” The page first hands the letter to Cicero, who breaks the seal.

“It seems Persia has sent an army into Anatolia,” Cicero passes the letter to Alexios who skims over the words. “They seek to quell the tribes to the far east.”

“First the tribes, then what's to stop them from seeking revenge on Greece?” Alexios rises from his throne, pacing back and forth. “We would be the first to meet any Persian threat. . . which means we must be ready” Alexios dismisses the council, and sets to work penning several letters. 

Actions

Lukas sent to inspect the themes and western defenses

Letters sent to Ionia, and Macedon

The new green recruits from last year  are trained to be regular soldiers ((1,000))

Another farm is built outside the capital to support the growing army ((5,000))

The four units of medium infantry and the unit of Heavy infantry are outfitted with T2 equipment ((5,000))

A unit of archers are trained to be regular soldiers and outfitted with T2 gear ((3,500+1,000 Regular+1,000 T2=6,500))

Two units of Skirmishers are trained and outfitted with T2 gear((2,000+2,000 Regular+2,000 T2=6,000))

Total ((23,500))

400 gold left over