[✗] [Lore][Item] Sap-Photo-Cell-Device/Light-Sap-Plant

Quavinir_Twiceborn

PREAMBLE: 

The object this post is proposing be added to the server was a previously created, and developed item in roleplay,

and was RP’d out on the server for a good few years, before being moved to the outdated section. This post is

simply to meet modern lore standards, as to allow this object to be created in character once more.

The old, outdated lore can be found here:  

Image result for pinhole camera

The ‘Anthosian Pin-hole Camera’, otherwise known at the time as a ‘Sap Photo-Cell Device’

was an invention made by the ingenios ‘Sil Iyat’ in the early years of the land of Anthos.

The basis of the device is a unique Anthosian plant, referred to by many names, though

most commonly known as the ‘light-sap-flower’, or ‘light-sap-plant’. A small, orchid like    

flower plant , found uncommonly in plains and verdant meadows, that excreted a thin,       

sap like film of sap from its leaves and stem. Initially thought lost due to the destruction    

of Anthos, the light-sap-plant was long thought dead and gone from the world, the              

sap-photo-cell-device gone with it.                                                                                                     

yet, the lands of Arcas bear many surprises within its rolling hills and mountains, for          

springing up alongside other plants, the light-sap-plant can once again be seen peeking      

its white petalled head out from the meadows.                                                                                

The Item’s Creation:

(The following is the original account of the pin-hole camera’s creation, by Sil Ilyat.)

Sil's Journal

Over the course of selecting plants for research, I've come across a very peculiar one indeed. When I brought a seed of the plant into the laboratory, I placed it into a pot, watered it, and left the torch lit inside the room due to a different discovery of mine. (This plant was said to have beautiful white flowers). Though, soon after I left, Rhonir, in a hurry, ran in and loosened the hold for the torch, minutes after it fell. Fortunately, the torch was positioned over  small puddle of water, possibly Rhonir's spilled drink (non-alcoholic). It burned out, leaving the room in darkness. I asked Rhonir to water it while I was away, and so he did, not thinking to light another torch, since he was always in a hurry (note the plant didn't need to be watered often, every 3 days). When I finally returned, 3 weeks later, I was upset, thinking the plant wouldn't grow (due to some findings I had about the need for sunlight to grow). Surprisingly, the flower grew almost 8 inches tall, and it actually started to bud. The whole stem and bud of the flower was dark black, blending into the surrounding darkness. When I finally lit another torch, it was time to return to home.

When I returned back to the laboratory, I made a shocking discovery. The plant seemed to have changed color! It was now a solid white! I was shocked, and didn't realize what happened  I played the scenario over in my head and deduced the only possible factor that changed the plant's color was the light of the torch. Because of this new discovery, I formulated some experiments.

The next day, I actually touched the plant, what astounded me, was that the entire plant was covered in a sticky residue. I slid my finger over the stem and wiped off the sap-like substance, the plant beneath the residue appeared green, in contrast to the sap's black (now white) color. I extracted the residue from the surface of the plant. I then spread it over a piece of parchment, making sure to do so in the dark as not to change the color of the sap (which was actually found inside the plant itself). After doing so, I organized a test, only to humor myself. I laid a complicated statuette over the parchment, now covered in a thin film of sap. I then lit a torch and left.

On my return I discovered the silhouette of the statuette was still a solid black, while the rest of the parchment was a solid white. I then repeated this experiment with a cut piece of parchment that had a cutout circle. On my second return, I saw that that only the circle was white, while everything else was black. I then conjured an idea.

I quickly cut out a wooden box, with only a hole the size of a pin head in the center front face (the pinhole as to not expose the sap to too much light, resulting in the experimented silhouette). I opened the front of the box, took another piece of parchment covered in sap and attached it to the opposite face as the pinhole. I watched the box as I put it outside in front of a tree. Almost an hour later, My impatience and curiosity bests me and I examine the parchment.  I see that the parchment retained a vague, blurry image of the tree while its surroundings were recognizable. Though the blurry image, I was undoubtedly impressed with myself and his new invention, which I later planned on improving so as the image is crisper.

During my later experimentations (now numbering to the several hundred), I tested exposure time, the dimensions of the box, the size of the hole and the amount of sap on the parchment. Here were my findings:

As the exposure time increased from one hour, the picture slowly became a solid white and as exposure time was reduced from one hour, the picture slowly became a solid black.

As the box grew, the picture became fuzzier, as it got smaller, the picture became crisper. I then tested the differentiation in certain dimensions and found that the shorter the distance from the pinhole to the parchment, the crisper the image, up to a certain point (about 2 inches away), where the picture became darker and fuzzier.

As the hole size increased the picture became getting brighter, only to a certain point expose the parchment to much, resulting in a fully white piece of parchment. The ideal diameter of the hole was around the thickness of the wooden box (the wood used was very thin and light).

As the amount of sap increased or decreased, there was never any change in picture, only that sometimes there were ripples in the picture if too much was used.

I hope to create the most ideal "Pin Hole Device" (as I call it) within the next week, taking into account my calculations.

How it works:

Image result for pinhole camera diagram

The sap of the light-sap-plant will change color over time in reaction to any notable         

sources of light. The sap is somewhat sticky, and akin to ink in texture and                          

consistancy. The sap may be gathered from the stem and leaves of the plant (which          

it will replenish over the course of a week or so.) and spread across a substance or             

surface receptive to such (paper, parchment, papyrus, etc). This sap drenched ‘paper’       

must than be inserted, and sealed into a opaque box or device, with only one entry            

point for light to come in across from the sapped paper.                                                             

The sap’s reaction to light is slow, and not especially visible to the naked eye, taking          

roughly 15 minutes or more for any reaction to be visible, and no less than half an hour    

for any image to be seen.                                                                                                                      

The sap is reactive to light                                                                                                                     

so long as it is wet, the moment it dries, the sap retains any hue gained or lost from             

exposure to light, and shall change no further. If the sap were to be wetted once more          

after drying, it will regain its light sensitivity once more. The sap, for the most part,              

may be gathered, and preserved within a ceiled bottle, where it shall retain its wetness         

and light sensitive qualities indefinitely. Depending on the amount of sap deposited              

onto the paper, the sap can take upwards of an hour to fully dry, though never taking            

any less than half an hour. For any ‘picture’ one wishes to take, one must have the                 

camera secured firmly in place, its subject well lit, with both the camera itself, and                  

its subject remaining still for no less for 30 minutes, lest the ‘picture’ simply come                  

out simply as a depiction of a blurry, greyish mass.                                                                           

Red lines:

-Camera can only take black and white pictures of objects.

(Cant be taking color pictures)                                                         

-Camera requires sufficient lighting to take pictures of objects.

(Cant be taking pictures in the night or in dark places.)             

-Camera requires an exposure time of no less than 30 minutes, with both it, and the subject of the picture

remaining still for the duration.                                                                                                                                                     

(Cant be taking pictures of a moving, or wiggly person or object. Requires stillness to the highest degree.     

Cant just be snapping pictures of people, places or things, takes preparation, time, and stillness.)                 

aaah its been a while since we’ved seen one of these

tenor.gif

This lore has been denied as per this thread: click me. 2 weeks were given to reformat and correct the submission to match the current criteria, which were not done.

If you believe this is a mistake (as this was a big sweep, yours may have been overlooked), please contact me over the forums here: click me.