Battle of the Arts - July

Thomas

EfWd7gzFc_xJbOYITgajRj2EtE0IcCBDKW1FfkkkwpzleOf4LsjtBYh7TLAoTTbjLmmX-VCgb_EORfG4CyE9iUUNKyns--0C8R54_XcFg2V_9LV2kd5IgnJ9scckj_-uxujHtGJq

pf8-jvm5A-IgyyaDTVB7elW9eqxpk5_mwktH9hiMumvnl26i4NobxguRVYA4E9EiyL4t7AZgix-FfGc5h4ZXN9fVUCRxnzUV0HtuQ8yJXZSXZ7154jmL8Zm2vHrvGGN8gTsgZttb

Greetings wonderful people of LotC!

The Community Staff are pleased to announce the second Battle of the Arts competition! As the title suggests, this is a competition where you -- our creative community members can enter your creations to earn prizes each month. The categories include Artwork, Skins, Creative Writing/Poetry, Music, and Building. A winner will be selected by the Community Staff from each of the categories, making a total of 4 winners. We hope you have fun with this and enjoy! 

The June Battle of the Arts had a great turnout. It was great seeing all of the creative works members of the community had to offer. We would like to thank everyone who partook in the contests and wish to see more from everyone in the future contests. With that being said, we are pleased to announce the winners of the June Battle of the Arts Contest!

Artwork Winner: @wholesomerp

8q8G3f2gItum76xvRuaL7sP25mNEK8eZuKzWl_2E_3A7UyScdqaueUdCKptQuG2bFeLE6oTwWqE0HQzj2zzga4O7wZGPPAw3AwihckcC6zWHGIXs7JYQExGcxmFXzTWz1OVhiYm9

Creative Writing Winner: @Wrynn

6th of June, 1944

It wasn’t that long ago that I came to this place. We always came here as a get away from the busy life that we led back in the city, with father constantly working and mother starting her business; it was good to take a break. I remember rushing towards the water in my bare feet, the feeling of the gritty sand hitting me with each step. I remember the sound that the ocean made, lapping up against the shore in calm, soothing surges. In fact I even remember the smile that Hans had as he splashed in the small pools collected by the rocks, looking for small crabs and mussels.

I remember it all so well; but it seems it’s starting to fade. Today I still felt the sand, but this time it certainly wasn’t pleasant. It blew up from the beach and into my eyes and the air seemed to be laiden with it. I could still hear the water sloshing, but this time not against the shore, instead it splashed as thousands of heavy boots marched through it and thighs waded through the water. But the rocks, how they changed, no longer brown but red instead and the creatures that lay in the pools were no longer starfish or urchins.

But perhaps the most noticeable difference was the smell. I used to be able to smell the sea water and the fresh air… but today the singular thing I could smell was fear. I smelt it running off of me, it dripped from my quivering hands as I took aim and it dribbled down my shaking legs, rattling so much it was hard to walk. I couldn’t only smell it off myself however, I could smell it coming from them too. As they hopped from their metal war machines down into the water, the scent moved fast and it hit me quick, it wasn’t hard to see it on their faces either.

I remember one of them looked over to me just after he left the large vehicle and he stood frozen. At the time I couldn’t tell whether it was fear or whether he’d already been taken down, but I suppose it didn’t matter. By the look on his face I could tell that he was already dead inside. The rest of them marched on through the water and the sound changed, I can still hear that change ringing in my ears; it won’t go away. I looked down at the sand and no longer could I see the shells I once saw, but this time metal shells, firing out of the guns and hitting the ground with a crisp bite as the heat of the jacket boiled the water in the sand.

The guns seemed to endlessly fire and the shouts of our commanders didn’t stop either. They called for bombs to be shot into the waters, with a ‘boom’ following and then the screams of hundreds of men. It dragged on for so long, the torrent of shots and spill of blood seemed endless… It only stopped when I walked away. I know they’ll have one last bullet for me, running from a battle isn’t taken lightly, but on this Defining Day for the war, the only thing that defined me are the nightmares that I think I will always have.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o54XyQbTQzwUPVlHjspwm4yLBDTyGf7dy85KULAn4lU/edit?usp=sharing

Music Composition Winner: @DiamondHead_10

Build Winner: N/A - No entry.

pf8-jvm5A-IgyyaDTVB7elW9eqxpk5_mwktH9hiMumvnl26i4NobxguRVYA4E9EiyL4t7AZgix-FfGc5h4ZXN9fVUCRxnzUV0HtuQ8yJXZSXZ7154jmL8Zm2vHrvGGN8gTsgZttb

Congratulations to all of the winners! Along with the prizes, the winners of the competition will be featured on the official LotC Twitter Page. Make sure to shoot @TarreBear a message if you have not received your prizes within the next couple of days. We hope so many more members of the community to partake in the competition. If you need any ideas or assistance don’t hesitate to contact a member of Community Staff 

- Theme - 

Every month there will be an overarching theme. These themes may range from aspects of server lore, history, folklore, or even holidays and seasons. For the second month, we wanted to open the stalls, everyone get ready to go hunt for the ripest apples. The next theme we’ll like to encourage is the art of a marketplace, feel free to adventure through the various nations to see layouts or design your own! The world is your oyster.

The theme for July will be the Marketplace!

(Thank you @ElectriceAce for the suggestion)

GcrULeeBaHBBBewkcal1axzHXnfSZyRJqbyCae21ElNhH01Laieiq6kbYKIv0tT-tMRZoaZp8ZLfCF4-SW41UH7qDtQhsSzO-nzNaiMK7VXmSpdrin-OgzulwG97RiA4jdQ1bjXD

@Wholesomerp thank you for the artwork!

- Prize -

The prize for the July Battle of the Arts Contest will be 5000 minas to fund your Marketplace shopping spree, a Shop of Wonders Kep’s lucky pebble to assist your fortune at haggling, 2 soulbound tokens might you find you some special items along the way, and the Creative Wizard tag! (Prizes will vary contest to contest.)

- Criteria -

• All content entered must coincide with the theme of the month

• Creative Writing is limited to around 1500 words.

• Creative Writing must have the google document linked to ensure the criteria above has been followed. (You can still paste the document in the post for all to read easily)

• You are allowed to submit up to 1 submission per each category

• Build submissions can be represented by screenshots 

To enter your content in the contest, please use the following formatpf8-jvm5A-IgyyaDTVB7elW9eqxpk5_mwktH9hiMumvnl26i4NobxguRVYA4E9EiyL4t7AZgix-FfGc5h4ZXN9fVUCRxnzUV0HtuQ8yJXZSXZ7154jmL8Zm2vHrvGGN8gTsgZttb

-Submission Format-

Mcname:
Category: (Art, Creative Writing, Music, Building)

Attach Content:

Due Date: July 31st, 2019

Pn38TJJUdrjkPW21sV4ZNcrjanGjLHl1LtU1nCORrxvq1LOd77-nVacoyXBBBPmWvRNxmNFD8F_e2Xb0tA-UCruBVGXUqpZI8Ix3fvcXExo32FWYvA-D-7j2wJAxqpqRmA9KaMof
Special thanks to Jenny_Bobbs, LotsofMuffins, and IchorDruid for working on this project!

Congratulations upon those who won in their catagory and good luck to those competing this month round!

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttt how did? Much confuzled. Much thanku! ❤️

i thought i was gonna win ?

-Submission Format-

Mcname: Matticated
Category: Creative Writing

Attach Content:

The Silly Art of Speech

It was yet another day traveling with my family's caravan through the great lands of Arcas. The land was rather warm, even though it was the month of Malin’s Welcome. We were traveling somewhere south, so it was rather understandable. It wasn't too long after my father had suddenly left our caravan, and my mother was still sad and mourning as if he was dead, even worse. I can remember her not speaking for a long time, and rationing her meals, unable to eat. They were sad times, but both of us managed to get by, we had our whole caravan supporting us both. I was around no more than 13 years old, still a child with a family to care for him.
We approached this great town after a long day of traveling, though I cannot remember its name. I've never been great with names really. The city was lively and noisy, which meant good business and good trading. I remember as I was walking with quite heated from the warm weather, a rather refreshing breeze hit me in the face, sending what hair I had backwards, as if it was water; it was a rather good feeling, as I can remember it to this day.
My mother looked at me, and so she spoke for the first time that day, it was around afternoon, the sun was up in the sky. "We will be walking around to sell the metal we got." she'd say in a very stoic tone, almost emotionless, as she'd look down to me "You are free to look around and buy." a couple of Minas came out of her pockets before she'd hand them to me. I took them in a serious manner and nodded, not saying anything "Though do not wander far." she then turned around and sighed before I had any time to respond. She used to allow me roam around cities quite a bit, it was a sort of routine by now. I placed the Minas in my pockets, and started to stroll around the market stalls that surrounded and filled the plaza. The market was big, bigger than I had first expected, it was surrounding me like a huge forest, and I was in the middle. The ongoing trade between the merchants and their customers felt like bees buzzing, each trying to sell their honey to another bee, arguing which one was the better. Walking around such a marketplace is something that never gets old, something that always gives you the same feelings every time you do it. I believe this is because of how different each one of them is on their own right, yet they mostly contain the same formula. Yet it doesn’t feel so.
At the time I was in need of a new journal, the one I bought two months ago had run out of space. I used to write down quite a lot at the time, I still do as you may expect. Looking around different stalls I saw different faces of different merchants, selling different products. Some of them had journals, books still waiting to be written with stories, thoughts, or imagination. I ended up in front of a stall surrounded by brown pieces of decoration; the curtain covering the stall like a mother covering its baby with fine silk was a pleasant dark brown, well-crafted leather. The seller appeared to be a fellow human, not much taller than me. His hands were rather thin and were covered with bruises and had some callous here and there, clear indication of a skillful craftsman. Looking around the stall I could tell that his expertise and merchandise was based on leather products, weather be it jackets, bags, pouches, or even journal covers. He greeted me quite welcome, even though I would appear a little boy with quite some dirt on my face from all the traveling. Most traders who’d see me like that would just turn me away, guessing I was a beggar of a sort, though this man greeted me open-heartedly. He was around his 30s, interestingly enough his hair was brown too, fitting his shop as if it was his matching outfit.
After looking around his products I decided I’d buy a leather journal cover, it was rather nice and good looking. When I touched it it felt rather soft on my hand, giving it a pleasant feel, just like its looks. Though I would need a journal for it to cover, something I still did not have. So I left the stall promising Varian, that was the trader’s name, I’d come back as soon as I’d buy a journal. He let me go with a smile on his face, I could tell he believed me.
My next step was to find my journal, and my best shot would be some sort of scriv merchant. I walked back into the forest of trading and started looking for a shop covered in white shades. I did so after looking around and realizing that almost every stall was colored similarly to the product they were selling; so a metal trader would have gray covers, a botanist shop would be colored green. Though I heeded that tailors, working with different colors, just set displays outside they stalls or shops, so that they were quite obvious. Wandering around, I finally came before a shop covered in white, and as I was expecting, they sold papers, scrolls, charcoal for writing, written and unwritten books, and much more. The trader this time was a High Elf. when he first saw me I could tell his suspicion towards me, taking be for some beggar most likely. I’d already gone through multiple occasions such as this, and decided to greet him using his language, “Karin’ayla!” I nodded, looking him in the eye with the most charming smile I could manage to pull off. I could tell he understood I wasn’t some beggar, not only because of me speaking his language - something I learned during my travels - but also because of the coin purse I took out and gently settled on the counter. He then appeared quite delighted, giving me a smile.
At the end of our meeting I was able to haggle a price I felt was alright for a journal. It wasn’t too thin, around medium width, and was an almost perfect fit for my right pouch, which I used to keep my journals. It was just slightly smaller, though it still had enough space to last me another two or three months, taken I had something to write about.
Leaving satisfied from my first purchase of the day, I turned back to Varian, who still hadn’t sold the leather journal I asked him to save for me. We then tried if my new-bought journal would fit the leather cover, and so it did. I believe it mostly did since I actually measured the size of the cover with my eyes before buying the journal, and so the journal I bought was quite fitting.
“How much does it cost?” I asked him, the covered journal still on the top of the stall table. He’d offer me a smile “It would cost 20 minas” he said matter-of-factly, and the continued “Though I’ll give it to you for 15” I nodded, pleased with the price. I took out 15 Minas and paid for the cover before I placed in my pouch. After saying goodbye to the craftsman I started wandering around the market once more.
An instant I found myself going  too far from the rest of the caravan, I stood in an alley when I caught myself walking too far. I was lost in my thoughts at the time, thinking about my father and how he'd leave like that; so suddenly, so unreasonably, and most of all without a trace, just a note where he briefly said he went to pursue his wanderlust alone. Maybe that was true, maybe he was killed, maybe he was kidnapped, or joined another caravan, I didn't know at the time, and I still don't.
So, as I was walking back I took a turn in order to get back to the alley. After taking it I found a well and heavy-armored figure standing before me. It appeared to be a man, and wasn't quite tall, a dagger lay on his hand. At first glance I understood he was waiting for me, expecting me, maybe he followed me, though he clearly was after my purse. As the man approached, I realized he was quite old, very old actually. He didn't seem to have much power in him, barely taking steps properly inside the heavy armor. I could hear him grunt a little, and say to himself, "Damn armor's too heavy!" I'd hear him frown, but then he'd get close enough that if he wished he could stab me. I did not move, something inside me told me not too, maybe it was just surprise or fear, but I did not move, I can't exactly explain why. I stood there as he approached, and placed his knife not too far from my stomach. An elderly voice could be heard coming from behind the heavy helmet"Your Minas, now" he'd say, trying to be frightening, probably more than he appeared. I decided it would be stupid to just try and escape, his dagger was close enough, and I probably couldn't hurt him due to the armor. Even if I could I probably wouldn't, I wouldn't do that. Instead I referred to speaking my way out of it, and so I made a rather surprised, yet confused face. I was not too bad at acting, you learn something like that when raised among wandering traders. "What?" I squinted my eyes and lowered my eyebrows. Even from outside the armor, I could tell his face was confused, and he was observing me. His tone grew slightly louder "What is what?" he'd ask. "What do you mean?" I replied, attempting to tailor a play of words in order to confuse him, and it seemed I succeeded, the man was quite old honestly, I still am not quite surprised to how he fell for it. "What do you mean, what do I mean?" his voice grew even louder, and due to confusion and irritation he screamed "What?!"
I remained calm, still expressing fake confusion "The thing you meant when you said was mine before I asked you what?" I'd guess he was confused, for I couldn't really see his face, though he made did make pause. during this small bridge I decided to change the subject "Wait, what is that?" I'd gesture to his nose, and he'd move back. "Did you just try to touch me?" he'd take a step back, which made me realize he was really harmless, so I decided to play with it, and shook my head "No, I'm just trying to figure out what the thing on your nose is." I squinted my eyes trying to look closer, as if there was really something. There was a small opening in his helmet around his nose and upper lip, so it was rather believable, to him at least. He seemed to have fallen for it; "Where?" I then pointed to my own nose, indicating for him to look at his "Here." I'd make a small pause, not allowing him to do or say anything "It looks like blood!" I raised my eyebrows in surprise, with a hint of shock too. "Oh God! I think you're bleeding from your nose!" my voice would sound a little horrified, and so would my expression. I believe I overdid the act, though he still believed it. "Oh dear, it may be blood!" he'd start to panic a little. "I think you should check it with someone. It seems pretty bad. Or maybe the helmet is too heavy!" still in panic he'd observe me a little. "Are you trying to offend me?" he'd say, but before I could reply he continued "To hell with it!" he shook his head slightly "I knew this helmet was too damn heavy!" he'd quickly get further from me and start walking away. My plan has somehow succeeded, and I still had my money on me!
Not only that, but while slowly leaving due to his heavy armor, he took the helmet off and threw below him, trying to get some weight off. The helmet was rather rusty, though a little more than half of it was still made out of some pretty fine steel. I took it, and had it as proof to tell my tale to the others. Though my mother wasn't too happy to hear I wandered too far, though she wasn't really happy anymore.

Spoiler

Permission to go over 1500 words limit:

Use links below to save image.

Mcname: Jenny_Bobbs

Category: Music

Attach Content: 

Mcname: Beluved
Category: (Art, Creative Writing, Music, Building): Skinning

Attach Content:

-Submission Format-

Mcname: Numirya
Category: (Art, Creative Writing, Music, Building) Art