The Conflict Digest

Telanir

The Conflict Digest

Adjusting To The New System | July 8th, 2019

The new Conflict Rules sharply depart from bureaucracy, rigidity, and hostility. They refuse, unapologetically, to reward stubbornness and loopholing. However, the difference is so steep that I would like to offer this guide on how to enjoy them. There is a lot of confusion regarding good-spirit and other terms involving cooperation, I hope this will help clear things up.

Ultimately, we’re here to have a good time and the rules must not get in the way when players come to an agreement. Negotiation is the new meta. Mainly, you must establish a scenario where it is possible for both parties to participate fairly and engage in combat.

How should I negotiate?

Fundamentally, it is merely a conversation with a fellow player. Negotiation should be perceptive, considerate and find compromise. Understand how the other side feels, what kind of roleplay they are commonly interested in, and how far they are willing to take terms. Considering this, offer terms that they will enjoy and reap benefit from. The staff will never support one-sided terms nor trivial reasons for severe consequences against the will of the other party.

When do I need staff?

Only when there is a serious disagreement or you need something only we can help with (e.g. warclaim, event support, special moderation request) Otherwise, we might as well not exist! You can agree together to a warclaim-less war with frequent raids for example with a roleplay post where both parties sign off. (Just add an ((OOC)) signature near the bottom saying you acknowledge the terms and for how long, but the main post must be in roleplay!)

How can I raid during peacetime?

At any point you may agree with any group of players to ignore the raid limitations. If you decide early on to allow for large raids in a certain location, then no party may be punished for merely doing so. A good example would be if a bandit group captured one of your nobles—you would be able to negotiate a raid in return.

How can I start a war?

The first step is to approach the other party on your own time and devise a plan that works for you both. Decide on what kind of war you want to wage, and what kind of terms you would be most interested in. Once you are ready you can approach the staff to discuss the kind of war you would like to wage and we will do our best to accommodate you.

I have concerns about a war and I am not the instigator, what should I do?

Cooperate. Help concoct a set of terms you are at least 50% confident in. Then, bring any leftover concerns to the negotiation table and the staff will help both sides arrange fair terms. Every war brings with it risks—however, they are also opportunities to promote activity and events within your settlement, acquire allies and make friends, and draw on a gripping and substantial story.

If you deny cooperation at this stage, the other side may present evidence of unwillingness to collaborate and ask the staff to bring both sides together to discuss terms anyway. The side most willing to cooperate and act in the interest of good spirit will get the best terms.

The other party has refused to negotiate terms, but IRPly they have consistently slighted us. What recourse do I have?

Let one of us know and describe your situation. We will listen to you and suggest a few options. If you are interested, we will pull all sides into a discussion where you may negotiate under staff mediation. We will do our best to help you find an agreement, uphold the good-spirit of the discussion, and will review any unfair or arbitrary refusal.

I’m being persistently attacked and I’m certain it is OOCly motivated. What recourse do I have?

Report the behaviour and request staff oversight. We will monitor the area. If relevant, collect evidence or screenshot what you can and post a player report. We will dole out an appropriate discipline.

Multiple groups of 3 bandits often come by my settlement, especially in rotation. What can we do?

If you find yourself the victim of what may be coordinated attacks in poor-spirit, report the behaviour to the staff. This mode of behaviour is the worst infringement of the good-spirit of the rules and we will enforce the maximum discipline.