[Culture] Aestian culture.

K

Aestian culture.

(big thank you to chaotikal for his template)

Introduction to the Culture

If you’d like to make a character, and join the tribe, send me a PM on the forums and I’ll be glad to help,

and as soon as we get enough people, we will apply for a Tier 1.

If you want to see this culture evolve, join us!

Aesti culture is mostly based off of Finnic tribes of the Neolithic and Mesolithic periods. The goal is to develop and expand this culture to maybe one day becoming a popular choice among new players. 

(this post is bound to change so expect an edit so more information could be added about this culture.)

(and keep in mind this is a WIP)

Aesti is a culture that has it’s roots in the landscapes beyond the mountains, where cartographers didn’t dare venture to, in the northern wastelands of Arcas, no written records, or depictions in manuscrips of the Great Library exist of this presumably new, yet undiscovered culture. 

History: 

Aestian culture starts with the chief of Lumi, Kristofer, who leads a small tribe in the desolate winter wasteland with his wife Gwendolyn, which was outcast from her previous tribe, who rejected her for having a more independant attitude. This new culture brings a more freer and less feudal option to new players and old ones who want a tribal experience, with human characters, and the opportunity for people to make history!

Language

Aesti, being very similar to Common, has some words of it’s own, a heritage from ancient times:

Some examples include:

Hei, Tere – Hello.

Mitte, Hüva, Head aega – Goodbye, bye.

Tänan – Thanks, Thank you.

Jah – Yes.

Ei – No.

Kurat or Raisk (curse word) – Damn, hell.

Sina, Sinu – You, Yours.

Mulle, Minu – for me, Mine .

HeaHalb – Good, Bad.

Head ööd – Good night.

Head päeva – Good day.

Hästi – Well, good.

Poiss – Boy.

Tüdruk – Girl.

Mees – Man.

Naine – Woman.

Juht – Chief.

Kallis – Dear.

(feel free to ask for more.)

Common Traits: 

Aestians don’t have a sparse ethnicity, they’re very pure northerners. A typical Aestian man would be quite tall, with a burly build, blonde, or black hair. His eyes would be shades of light blue, blue or, more rarely, gray or blue-silver.

Men:

A beard is a standard facial feature of Aestian men, which is a sign of power, fertility and charity. Some older tribesmen have a beard braid.

Hairstyles aren’t of much value in Aestian culture, long or short hair for men is common. Again, braids are common on older tribesmen.

Women:

However, tribeswomen value their hair, keeping it lush and silky. Long hair is a sign of femininity and beauty. 

Women are to be considered equal due to their natural, and societal responsabilites.

It is said that Aestian women can, with enough training, beat a trained man in hand to hand combat. 

Society:

Traditionally, Aestian society is based on a tribal government. It’s lead by a Chief (Juht in Aesti), and at death, the oldest child of the Chief becomes Chief, regardless of the child being a boy or girl. To address a Chief, one would use “Kallis Juht..” or ”Juht..” 

Warchiefs are frowned upon.

Behaviour:

Aestians are very secluded people, they’re very wary of strangers, be it from other tribes or nations. They tend to stick with their friends and family, and reach out to others in times of need.

They like to keep their conversations concise and clear. Small talk is avoided in public, as it’s considered as a waste of time.

Every Aestian is expected to work, due to the harsh conditions and their small numbers.

Elders are an exception to this rule, due to their physical (in)capabilites but most importantly the importance of preserving their knowledge.

Food:

Aestian food is quite basic. It’s composed of tubers such as potatoes or yams wich are either grown in a field or inside of a bag or barrel, due to the land being frozen most of the year.

If grown in a field, the potatoes are sown 3 inches (or 8cm) into the ground to keep the potatoes from freezing, and thus dieing.

Carrots are also common, due to them being a source of vitamin C, wich is used to cure and prevent scurvy.

Pork and fish are the most common meats in Aestian cuisine, along with their smoked variants.

Dairy products aren’t very diverse either, butter and milk (which can be fermented to extend shelf life) are most common.

Cereals, with the excpetion of winter wheat, aren’t planted or consumed.

Festivities:  

Saunas: At every end of a Saint’s Week, Aestians gather in a room which is heated to very high temperatures thanks to a fire that would be roaring for atleast 2 hours before entering the sauna (~90°C or ~194°F) in which they can discuss important matters, or just relax with friends and family. A common thing to do is to jump in some near freezing-point water or snow after getting out of the sauna. 

The room is made from wood, and the furniture too.

Sometimes water is thrown onto the heating element to create steam.

Clothing: 

For everyday use, most of Aestian clothing would be made of furs from various animals, capes, coats, headwear and boots are generally made from fur. 

Underwear such as shirts, tunics is either made from wool, or flax, a costly alternative to wool due to the climate Aestians live in.

Architecture:

Aestian houses are cheap, and fast to build and require little maintenance. Materials like dirt, thatch, wood, stone are very common in the style of Aestian architecture.

The roof is generally made from dirt which can freeze and form a permafrost layer, the house is quite short in height. (the typical house is very similar to a Icelandic turf house.)

Walls around a camp or settlement can be built out of Stone and Ice. In some cases, dirt mounds are made when other materials aren’t easily accessible. 

Religion: 

Animism is the common faith among Aestians, however, some Aestians simply have no faith due to their straightforward lifestyle. Science or rationalism isn’t a notion used by Aestians in the early stages of the culture. Aestians learn through mistakes, and knowledge is passed on through elders.

Military:

A military of Aestian origin would consist of small raiding parties, avoiding big battles and favoring small engagements.

A warspear, a round shield would be the standard issue weapons.

Slings are a popular choice for ranged attacks and hunting small game.

For the richest warrior, who could afford to wear armor used helmets, metal armor made of chainmail, and lamellar, which consisted of iron plates sewn together.

Lower-status Aestian warriors also used layers of quilted cloth, such as linen or wool, to protect the body during battle.

Aestian warriors are lead by the Commander, which in war, would shout the orders at them and be in the frontline of the battle.

modern and organized army would defeat an Aestian party pretty easily on foreign soil. The tables turn if Aestians are defending, due to the terrain on which they train which gives them a considerable advantage against the enemy.

Edited by K

I really like this. I don’t often go on forums but I felt the compulsion to stop by and say hello.

7 hours ago, hamberder said:

I really like this. I don’t often go on forums but I felt the compulsion to stop by and say hello.

thanks for stopping by and reading the post!

Sounds good, if I will gather more time, i will defenetly join an Aestian culture. And it is pretty good written for a first post :).

4 hours ago, LucaVerheij said:

Sounds good, if I will gather more time, i will defenetly join an Aestian culture. And it is pretty good written for a first post :).

Awesome! PM me when you can and you’ll be on your way to becoming an Aestian. ?