[✗] [Open Race Lore] - GNOMES!!!!! (this time for real).

NotEvilAtAll

Spoiler

GNOME LORE

Gnome Warren by JonHodgson

Origin/History

Within the old Aegis village of Greenshire, there lived a small community of halflings who were unable to find or properly inhabit Dunwood. These halflings were like any other, loving booze and pipeweed, living in small holes in the ground, and all-around being merry. They traded with their neighbors and lived a peaceful life not unlike their Dunwood brethren.

However, dark things were coming to Aegis. As the Undead started to move in from the North, Greenshire was hit hard by the Undead forces without any knights or Ascended to protect them (Unlike Dunwood, Greenshire was not an Orenian vassal). The halflings of Greenshire just barely survived by digging into the soil and hiding from the Undead, hoping that they wouldn’t be sniffed out. Only the small and cowardly halflings survived, with the rest of their kin being slain.

When it was time for the Descendants to leave Aegis for Asulon, Greenshire’s population consisted of nothing but a few pipsqueaks and runts smaller than the average halfling. They were persecuted in every settlement they tried to live in, and had no luck rejoining with their old halfling kin. Thus, the runty folks from Greenshire stayed small and weak, never able to gain a proper footing in their new Asulon home.

Eventually, the folks from Greenshire stopped being recognized as halflings and became known as “Gnomes” due to their small size. They lived in and around halfling villages or in solitary holes in the ground far away from others. Some gnomes managed to learn skills and live inside of human and elven cities, yet most gnomes did naught but live in holes eating worms and mushrooms, for they had no skills to speak of.

As time passed on, the gnomes took on different characteristics and cultures. Those who moved to the cities and took on some sort of craft became well known for their deft, small fingers capable of producing fine works; sometimes they were even able to learn magic or even ascend to some level of authority! Those who still lived in holes in the ground were less cultured, sticking to their mushroom-eating, hole-digging ways. These ‘Forest Gnomes’ became well known for stealing crops from farmers and living in bizarre settlements of holes, mushrooms, tree stumps or fallen logs, and the occasional hut made from pebbles or stones.

Description

Gnomes stand at around 1’6’’ to 2’ tall. They mentally and physically mature around the age of 20 (compared to the halflings’ 32), although “mental maturity” isn’t something that even gnome adults are known for. Much like the halflings, gnomes have a higher chance to have Heterochromia Iridium (2 eyes are different colors) and usually have curly hair. Their feet are usually left bare, letting onlookers marvel at the hair that covers them. Their hair can be any color, although black hair is much rarer than other colors.

Culture(s)

Civilized Gnomes

8f80656d52c7d1d8a5967c10d080b266.png

Civilized Gnomes are gnomes that have moved into a Descendant city and work some sort of profession there. They speak the language, follow the culture, and participate in the politics of whatever city they are in (only if they are allowed to, of course). Known for being addled in the head and quick with their fingers, gnomes are eccentric figures whenever they’re found inside of a city, drawing lots of attention with their crafts and size. From alchemy to blacksmithing, these gnomes will do whatever it takes to put food on their miniature tables.

When a gnome learns magic, they are usually considered to be a Civilized Gnome, since learning magic requires the gnome to interact with non-gnomish society. These gnomish mages are the craziest gnomes of all, coming up with the wackiest of schemes and practicing their magic with reckless abandon.

Forest Gnomes

the_forest_gnome_postcard-rfa60c561ad864

Forest Gnomes have not moved into a city, either living alone or with a small community of other Forest Gnomes. These Gnomes wear basic clothing made from scraps, rags, or leaves. Their diet consists of nuts, berries, and mushrooms found near their homes, occasionally through small-scale farming. Their accent is thick and hard to interpret, although it’s clear that they are speaking some form of Common. Their interactions with outsiders consists of burglary runs, crop theft, and the occasional scuffle that the Forest Gnomes are bound to lose.

Forest Gnomes have a strange affinity with squirrels, often keeping them as pets or using them to collect acorns. These befriended squirrels are allowed to roam free, coming back to the Forest Gnomes of their own free will. The exact methods used by the Forest Gnomes to befriend squirrels is not well known. Some think that Forest Gnomes can talk with squirrels, but such claims are probably false.

Forest Gnome Housing

xgWiI10.png

~A rather Gnome-like home underneath a tree in Brandybrook~

M8kPlNO.png

~A Gnomish burrow in Mellsburry! (techncally a Kobold home, but it’s exactly what a Gnome hole would look like)~

2Q.png

~An example of a Forest Gnome settlement built into giant mushrooms~

Redlines

Forest Gnomes

Forest Gnomes, while able to befriend squirrels, cannot talk with said squirrels no matter how hard they try.

Befriended squirrels will not fight for Forest Gnomes under any circumstances. They may help with theft, but won’t fight when commanded to.

Cannot befriend more than 3 squirrels at a time.

Cannot be taller than 2 feet.

Cannot be smaller than 1 foot 6 inches.

Civilized Gnomes

Civilized Gnomes who learn magic do not gain any bonuses for being a Gnome.

Civilized Gnomes, while better at the finer details of crafts due to their small hands, are not any better at the rest of craftsmanship.

Cannot be taller than 2 feet.

Cannot be smaller than 1 foot 6 inches.

Purpose

For Forest Gnomes, their purpose is to be used in player-run events where said Gnomes try to burgle or steal crops from farmers. As a result of this, I’m open to Forest Gnomes being an event-only race if the Story Team wills it so long as regular players can use them in events too.

For Civilized Gnomes, their purpose is to allow people to play as Gnomish tinkers, wizards, craftsmen, etc. if they wish. I do not expect many people to play as Civilized Gnomes, and thus I’m open to Civilized Gnomes being a CA-only race if the Story Team wills it.

(EDIT) IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Players just making a Gnome character or using Gnomes in events in order to spam people with the “You’ve Been GNOMED” meme will probably be banned for poor roleplay and toxicity. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This is serious lore, not a dumb meme you can use to troll your friends.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

Is this an accepted race? Can anyone make one or is it a CA?

Gnome it up
Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me gnome to see his kin
Singing songs about the gnome-land
I miss 'ole' 'brandy once again
And I think it's a sin, yes
Well I heard Mister Gnome sing about her
Well I heard old Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Gnome will remember
A Gnomely man don't need him around anyhow
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Lord, I'm gnoming all o’ you
In Brandybrook they love the Thain, boo hoo ooo
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Lord, I'm Gnomin’ all o’ you, (here I come Alabama)
Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a gnome or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm done gnomin’ you
Now how bout you?
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Lord, I'm gnomin’ all of you
Sweet GNOME Alabama, oh sweet gnome...
Where the skies are so blue and the Thain's true
Sweet GNOME Alabama
Lord, I'm gnomin’ all of you, yeah yeh
-Ancient Gnome Shanty

26 minutes ago, Salvo said:

I want to be special iteration #57

Image result for no fun allowed

you meant dwarves?

or halflings?

6 hours ago, Tato said:

cage a goblin and a halfling and wait till they produce a baby

= gnome

Hmmmm

Just play a halfling or a goblin with a red hat? Feels more like a culture that you don’t need lore for. 

Or as stated above just play a goblin-halfling halfbreed. Half-orcs exist so....

Just write up a culture post and see if it gains traction IG. The lore itself is too vague where it needs information (language/accent and squirrel powers need defining). 

20 hours ago, BrandNewKitten said:

Just play a halfling or a goblin with a red hat? Feels more like a culture that you don’t need lore for. 

Or as stated above just play a goblin-halfling halfbreed. Half-orcs exist so....

Just write up a culture post and see if it gains traction IG. The lore itself is too vague where it needs information (language/accent and squirrel powers need defining). 

Yeah, people currently roleplay gnomes.. its just a halfling/goblin. 

i’m not a gnoblin, i’m not a gnelf
….

I am a gnome, and you’ve been gnomed!