The Summer Update – Addressing The Meta

Telanir

As your last letter, this is a lot of fancy words and restatements... But ultimately means next to nothing. Especially when one considers that there will be no action and that the current state of staff will continue or decline even further until you go back on another hiatus. 

39 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

Moving to a more vague, guidelines based ruleset enforced on subjective GM judgments will only lead to further disparity 

An objective ruleset is the way to go.

A judgement based system is a horrible idea that I’ve tried to argue with Telanir about. I look forward to the weakwilled moderation team being talked down and out of punishment because you won’t give them a proper set of guidelines and rules to relate back to and will instead rely on moderators holding their grounds as an argument goes on for possibly hours. And after that’s done will just be escalated further and dragged out. 

20 minutes ago, L0rdLawyer said:

As I said to Zipzapman. Long posts do nothing and show nothing but wasted time. Actually doing something is a great way to show you do ****. 

Funny coming from you, a person who loves to write extremely long posts complaining and whose only memorable action is facilitating the Veist/DPM vs Ponder duel. 

3 minutes ago, Kaelan said:

Especially when one considers that there will be no action and that the current state of staff will continue or decline even further until you go back on another hiatus. 

tbh as most of the abuses of the system were from your blacklisting of players id like to thank you for helping stall the staff teams decline by resigning from it

cheers.

2 minutes ago, frill said:

tbh as most of the abuses of the system were from your blacklisting of players id like to thank you for helping stall the staff teams decline by resigning from it

cheers.

No problem!

Though as I think your grudge lies with the Trende blacklist, that was actually a blacklist voted on by the team and pushed for by the administration. I just pulled the trigger and took the heat for it. So don’t expect that to change with me gone from the team. 

Yo bro if the game doesn’t work out I think you could really excel in Human Resources. 

I said it once and I’ll say it again the situation will never be fixed if the staff teams remain internal hierarchical structures with little horizontal checking. Community Leaders are becoming more popular in the eyes of people because they are the only leaders on the server who aren’t accountable to an upper level moderator but rather to the players they lead. This would lead to better management if teams responded to NLs complaints with something more than, “If you don’t like how we run the team apply yourself.” The hierarchical nature of the Staff team leads heavily to patron-client relationships and the inherent unironic talk about having pocket staff.

Funny how flam banned Rin and never bothered to reply to him to discuss his ban. I mean, there’s still time, not like it’s been 3 months.

Edited by WilliamTanner

MY BOY @frill GETTING THE SHOUTOUT

I read all of this without tl;dr'ing and honestly it just feels like a lot of fancy populist rhetoric without any actual practical explanation of how you plan to implement this new world order. You have to stop being the Justin Trudeau of internet mineman and show us action, not words.

Also that part where you say bans should only come at a last resort and only after intense communication? What hypocrisy. You ((community guidelines)) banned me for 3 weeks while refusing to respond to me on a consistent basis, while telling me my ban would last as long as you felt like, while dancing around the question whenever I asked you for the specific incident that got me banned, only vaguely citing my attitude and professionalism.

The whole ordeal didn't leave me feel communicated with, it left me confused, angry and resentful. And I am FAR from the only person who had a similar experience like this with you, Telanir. 

Tell me if you feel YOU, personally, have any room for improvement in changing how detached you are from this community, its day to day rp, or how you communicate with them.

@Telanir

I stopped reading when he started saying bans can last up to several years 

1 hour ago, Skyrunner said:

I said it once and I’ll say it again the situation will never be fixed if the staff teams remain internal hierarchical structures with little horizontal checking. Community Leaders are becoming more popular in the eyes of people because they are the only leaders on the server who aren’t accountable to an upper level moderator but rather to the players they lead. This would lead to better management if teams responded to NLs complaints with something more than, “If you don’t like how we run the team apply yourself.” The hierarchical nature of the Staff team leads heavily to patron-client relationships and the inherent unironic talk about having pocket staff.

”If you don’t like how we run apply yourself”—is a pretty easy response and not the most productive (and not really a solution either). So, I agree, though perhaps you have an idea of how you might prevent pocket staff? We’ve recently been trying to integrate NL’s and their contributions more deeply with our staff to try and bridge this.

1 hour ago, Dewlox said:

Yeah still ain’t nothing going to change. Might aswell write a book, you seem good at it.

Thanks for mentioning it, I do like writing… on the other hand, can I have your Discord? Or maybe DM me at Telanir#0001? I’d like to chat about why you feel that way.

22 minutes ago, WuHanXianShi14 said:

-snip-

Yeah, that is sort of the idea, this is the preamble to all the execution. Some people like to see why and some people like to see action, well I’d like to appeal to all crowds here and include both. First the why, and soon, some action.

It is hard to understand what is wrong with things if you can’t first reflect on what is wrong with yourself. And I did this, for a long time—and I still am. I’ve removed Community Guidelines violations, I’ve adjusted my method of approach wildly—and I’ve distanced myself from that odd period. It was wrong, and this post if anything indicates that this will never repeat again. I apologize @WuHanXianShi14.

Most things can be resolved with a quick chat in voice, not a written essay discussion. Yes, you read it right, I changed my approach. Though my question stands then—are you in agreement then with this line of thinking then, that I outlined in the post? It seems like it, and if so, I am happy to know that.

@Telanir Well I didn’t expect an apology TBH but since you offered me one I will accept it and give you the benefit of the doubt in seeing how you implement this new system. Your dedication towards removing tribalism and internet hooliganism is admirable, and I will put aside my cynicism to watch objectively how you do it

Lots of words from a man of inaction.  Start cutting off the fat from your administration team.  Maybe consider stepping down since you have no real plan to do anything except ramble on and on about nonsense. There's real problems facing your community that needs handled, I no longer believe you're the man to bring about positive change.  You've had well over a year to do anything worthwhile.  Dancing around with words no longer is acceptable to fixing real issues.  Resign.  That goes for @FlamboyantTyrant too.

2 hours ago, Kaelan said:

No problem!

Though as I think your grudge lies with the Trende blacklist, that was actually a blacklist voted on by the team and pushed for by the administration. I just pulled the trigger and took the heat for it. So don’t expect that to change with me gone from the team. 

And uhh, Erilobar? The guy that was only on the server for a month and got cb’d by YOU. Also Kana and Mickhaelz for 2 months. Literally no one agreed with you on those cb’s. Pun reversed them when you resigned.

When the behavior of your own administration reaches these guidelines, then will I feel better. You should address real issues, besides telling everybody to hold hands, and dance in a circle. 

I can appreciate that you’re talking about some of the recent issues on the server. And I’ll be honest, I think you have good intentions for the server, Telanir, it’s just that a lot of things that are said don’t follow up with any action. Either that or ideas are just executed very poorly. This post comes off as just talking about stuff for the sake of talking about it. As everyone’s said, we already know what these problems are and what’s going on. We need and want something done. 

Namely, the Pun issue. We understand that both Pun and Flamboyant have submitted responses of their own, but first, is it even within Flamboyant’s field to give a response to something that’s solely GM and moderation related? He gave his opinion for the sake of giving his opinion when it was YOU who should be giving a response to that. You manage the admins, so we’ve been expecting a response from you but still don’t have one. Not to mention, while Pun did reply, Knox did as well. That isn’t something that can just be brushed off because “two admins already replied”.