Practicing Medicine: A Guide to Healing

WestCarolina

This post is intended to serve as an updated guide to medicine and healing on Lord of the Craft. Firstly, I would like to start by thanking @MamaBearJade for the amazing guide she had made in 2013. This guide has greatly helped with my medical role-play, so I would like to reiterate, continue and add some more.

To quote @MamaBearJade in her original post, we must understand that,

“…there were techniques in medieval times that will kill patients, but if you add that much realism to a fantasy server, it doesn’t turn out as fun.” 

Therefore, allow this guide to be informative and take what is needed to enhance your role-play, but not limit your role-play creativity.

…o.O.o...

Instruments and Materials 

Scalpel- A small, hand held, exceptionally sharp bladed tool used to make precise incisions or cuts. 

Forceps- The instrument used to grasp, tweeze, and clamp. They are designed to apply pressure or extract. 

Blunt probe (Hook)- A slick metal tool, resembles a rod shape with a slight hook at the end. The blunt probe is used to hold back, move, and explore tissues. 

Scissors- A pair of metal blades that are not incredibly sharp but are capable of snipping and cutting through soft tissues. They are not as precise as a scalpel. 

Wheelchair- In cases where the patient is unable to walk due to a traumatic head injury, or lower extremity injury, wooden designed wheelchairs are used for mobility. 

Stretcher- Usually made of stripped branches and animal hidebound with rope, or wicker. It is important to keep a persons head still when moving them onto a stretcher to prevent further injuries. In addition, having at least two people carrying the stretcher is crucial.

Crutches- Wooden crutches are simply used for those with lower extremity injuries. Canes may also be used to help aid those with physical disabilities. 

Splint- A contraption of cloth that covers the area, if needed, surrounded by wooden pieces, usually sticks and thin rope to set broken bones in place. These are used for stabilization and safety of the wound for the quickest recovery. 

Bandages- Bandages are typically made of cotton. Large sheets of bandages can be cut into narrow pieces and rolled up for traveling, or cut into squares. Bandages are used to compress wounds to stop bleeding and prevent dirt from entering the open wound. [Honey or sugar may be used to secure bandages].

Parchment / small jars- Simple methods of carrying ointments and pastes, not allowing them to sour and go to waste. 

The Art of Suturing

Thread and Needle

Prior to suturing, it is important to ensure the wound is clean and disinfected. The main type of needle used in suturing is known as an;

Eyed needle- a couple-centimeter-long, thin metal needle containing a sharp point at one end and an ‘eyed’ end-hole that allows the thread to be looped through.  

When it comes to the thread, they are mostly comprised of plant fibers such as cotton or hemp. Animal fibers like muscle tendons, nerves, and hair are also used to make the thread. 

How to Suture a Wound

Prior to suturing, it is important to ensure the wound is clean and disinfected. If time permits, a numbing agent may be added to hinder further pain. Once the needle is threaded, allow for the needle to puncture the skin carefully, and with one hand, puncture it through to the other side. The most popular method used when suturing is the cross-stitch method. As it may sound, one stitches in an ‘X’ formation across the wound, in close, tight, matrixes to ensure that the wound does not reopen. When drawing the needle through the tissue, forceps may be used to feed the needle out of the tissue. This will prevent any punctures to the hands of the medics, especially for those with larger hands since needles are quite small. 

This process is continued until one reaches the end of the wound, where the needle is drawn several times to close shut, the thread knotted, and snipped. 

War Medicine 

Removing That Weapon

A majority of wounds will result from wars, battles, or fights. Arrows and lances are typically the two most common weapons one will find stuck in the body. Below are a few simple steps to remove an arrow:

1. If the arrow is not broken, apply pressure to the base of the arrows point of its insertion and snap the majority of the arrow sticking out of the body, off. This will leave a few inches of the shaft. 
  2. With the use of a scalpel, usually, three small incisions triangulating around the base of the needle are made. 
  3. With the use of the blunt probe to move tissues out of the way, the arrowhead may be found. Manipulate the tissues surrounding the arrowhead, to which one can then gently and slowly ease the arrow out of the body. 

This method may be used with lances, though it is important to ensure the majority of splinters are removed in the process; forceps are a good tool for tweezing them out. 

Stab Wounds

Among the most common war wound, a stab wound can be treated in a few steps. For those especially on the battlefield attempting to treat stab wounds, it is important to first;

1. With a rag or bandage, apply pressure to the area to halt bleeding. This is so that no germs and dirt enter the open tissues, as well as to prevent a decrease in blood volume. Several rags or bandages may be switched out during this process, which is normal. 

Once the bleeding is contained, one may remove the bandage to assess the damage and depth of the wound. 

2.   Clean and disinfect the wound with Dragurstongue [botany below for more information]. 

3.   A simple cross stitch method, as mentioned above, may be used to close deeper wounds shut. 

However, if the stab is determined to be shallow, methods such as cauterizing may be used.

Cauterization- The process of sealing a wound shut with the use of an extremely hot metal tool. The most effective cauterizations is when the wound is pinched closed. 

4.    Applying a numbing agent, such as Blissful [botany below for more information] allows for temporary pain relief. Following the application of the paste, bandaging the wound ensures safety and protection.

Everyday Wounds & Care

Head Trauma and Concussion

Following a blunt force to the head, whether that be a punch, kick, fall or however one could creatively bash their head, there are several steps to take to assess the damage. 

A personal note: Seeing as these sort of injuries are the most common alongside stab wounds, there is a checklist I follow to assess the patient. 

1. Ask those surrounding the patient who may have witnessed, [if anyone has witnessed], how a) how long they have been unconscious, if they are unconscious and b) how they were hit. These questions may provide crucial information for further treatment.

2. A physical exam. Assessing external structures of the head, as well as pulse points. Any gash-type wounds may be treated with the methods provided above. 

3. Cognitive exam. Following a blunt force to the head, one may be concussed. While there is not much information in Lord of the Craft on this matter, it is evident that concussions have noticeable symptoms; constant, reoccurring headaches, dizziness and light-sensitivity. To alleviate these symptoms, patients are asked to remain inside with little to no light, rest, and remain hydrated. It may take several weeks for these symptoms to end. 

Some tests I use to ensure that people are “all there” are what I call  the ‘reverse number test’ and ‘eye-to-finger.’ Both are some what self-explanatory; ‘reverse number test’ entails having the patient repeat a string of numbers backwards, for instance, 4-3-5 would be repeated back as 5-3-4. This tests short-term memory. 

The ‘eye-to-finger’  test ensures that the eyes were not effected in the fall. Those who can accurately follow the medics slow, waving finger with their eyes, are okay.

Please note that these are methods I have learnt throughout the characters career in medicine. There may be more information out there that I am not aware of. 

***Please note that these are methods I have learnt throughout the characters career in medicine. There may be more information out there that I am not aware of. 

Lesions 

As @MamaBearJade once more, she states in her Minor scrapes and cuts that,

“Minor cuts and scrapes are easy to tend to as they take little effort. First you must clean the wound with water and then disinfect the wound with Dragurstongue. Once you have done this, you can apply a clean bandage and send the patient off. Minor injuries don’t always require bandaging, so its safe to save the bandaging for more serious wounds.”

I thought her description was perfectly written, short, sweet and to the point. 

Bones and Bruises

It is not always quite obvious when one has a broken bone. Some breaks protrude through the skin, while others may stick out a bit or not show any sort of evidence other than pain. Either which way, it is important to set the broken bone in place and use of a splint to stabilize the bone. For broken bones that have protruded through the skin, it is important to care for the wound like you would as described above. 

Bruises are tender and range in color; yellow, green, black, blue and purple tints. For those complaining of bruise pain, a warm compress will increase blood circulation in the area. Wrapping the bruise and compression helps with circulation. 

Burns

Depending on the degree of the burn, each type may be treated differently. A first-degree burn may be treated with a cool wet rag and Frostvine [botany below for more information]. First degree burns have yet to blister and are usually red with stinging pain. 

Second-degree burns are where blisters occur and are typically the most painful burns. A cool wet rag may be carefully applied to the wound, and cleaned, ensuring no residue is on the burn. With the combination of Dragurstongue, Blissfoil, and Frostvine with both disinfect and alleviate the pain. 

Treatment for a third-degree burn may be the same as a second degree, though the patient will present more of an extremely discolored, charred wound. It is important to be especially careful when treating these sort of burns, to ensure the safety of surrounding skin. 

Childbirth

Labor

There are various ways to prepare a woman for childbirth, though we usually do not go into detail, and Fade to Black. Preparation may include hydration, propping the woman up in a comfortable ‘birth-giving’ position with the use of pillows as well as asking a series of questions to secure the safety of the birth. Some questions may include; 

“How far-long are you in your pregnancy”

“Have you been feeling any pains during your pregnancy. If so where?” 

“Have you felt much movement of the baby?”

After fading back, one may cut the cord, though many skip this process and proceed to ask for the gender and swaddle the baby in a tight blanket. 

A Taste of Herbology (but don’t taste them all)

Botany has a massive influence on the medical community. There are various plants that cause both harm but also great aid in medicine.

Aiding Elements

The following are significant in medical role-play;

Blissfoil- Has an effect to relieve pain and numb. A collection of pale blue flowers that typically grow under birch trees. Blissfoil is quite easy to find and harvest. According to the LotC Wiki, “The petals of the plant can be used directly on the skin, or a thick blue salve can be created. The biggest concern about this plant's effects is that it may cause permanent numbing and loss of touch, which makes everyone skeptic about how much should be used.” 

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Blissfoil

Frostvine- A blue plant, not to be mistaken with the blue flowery plant known as Blissfoil. Frostvine, as suggested in its’s name, can be found in dark areas, in cold climates. The LotC Wiki states that similar to Blissfoil, “when rubbed into the skin, it numbs pain and loosens stiff muscles. Too much of it and it may affect the limbs, making them completely numb for some time.”

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Frost_Vine

Ashwood Tree Syrup- Not commonly used, but a syrup that can be drunk. The syrup has powerful sterilizing properties and may be used as a disinfectant. Though the syrup does present various dangers, in which it is highly flammable. 

While I am unsure how or where to categorize Dragurstongue, seeing that I usually buy my pastes pre-jarred, the information I can gather is that it is popularly used for disinfecting wounds. 

Closing Statement

I would again like to thank @MamaBearJade for an amazing guide, but also those in the medical role-play community. With this post, I will be creating a discord to hopefully connect the community of those invested or interested in learning medical role-play, [PM discord]. If there is anything anyone would like to add to this document, please do not hesitate to pm me on discord [Carol#7747]. I do recognize that I strayed away from several medical studies such as mental illnesses, the effects of aging and such, but those are for future documents.

Thank you all! And feedback is greatly appreciated, as I am still learning myself ?

Edited by LadyCarolina

Beautifully written. I am glad I could help you with your medical roleplay. I forgot I wrote that til you asked about it XD

21 hours ago, MamaBearJade said:

Beautifully written. I am glad I could help you with your medical roleplay. I forgot I wrote that til you asked about it XD

Thanks! Again, I really appreciate your OG post ?