Your View - Banditry

GodEmperorFlam

Your View – Banditry

Uyv61SJ.png

Spoiler

Hello folks, we’re doing a “Your View” on a rather controversial topic. There will be no poll for this, as I want to see people write down their thoughts on the topic. This will directly impact a future decision, so please give it your all. As this is a heated topic, we will be monitoring this thread, any personal insults or jabs thrown will be removed.

The topic today, as the title says, is on banditry. Do you believe that we should continue to allow the typical loot based/pvp oriented banditry where you get halted and then looted and/or killed? Do you believe we should see a higher level of interaction from these encounters? Please elaborate/explain your stance clearly when answering these questions. If you are pro-banditry, make sure to include why you believe roleplay grows from these interactions.

I’m going to give my take in the spoiler below as an example to start things off: 

Spoiler

I don’t personally mind banditry so long as it’s interactive and not just low tier “give loot or die” rp. Jumping right to some 1-emote *stab after halting someone to initiate combat is low quality and not something we should be tolerating in regards to villainy. In my opinion, if you’re going to loot someone maiming/roughing someone up rather than killing is better.

If the victim’s legs were broken due to not wanting to give up their items and they were left to crawl back to the city, they could make RP from that. They get to seek out a doctor, potentially develop some kind of trauma from the experience, maybe look into revenge or developing in some other manner. There’s potential there for growth, but when your character is just killed with no real rp, it leaves you with no experience for the character to build off of as their memory is wiped.

It’s all about a collaborative experience, and at the end of the day we shouldn’t be so loot oriented or eager to just kill others with minimal RP. The standards for banditry should be raised, as it grants everyone the opportunity to create more RP, rather than allowing for the current low effort banditry we see today.

boom boom boom open the door, ATF

the reason gamers kill gamers is because on a few levels there are perverse incentives to not dying on both sides dependent on a few factors. often it is in the interest of the person being bandited to die on the spot vs suffer thru capture rp, this has been the case for years (iirc truthseeker83 dying upon being captured by dwarven authorities is the earliest example I recall). maybe legislate that? idk.

6 minutes ago, FlamboyantTyrant said:

I’m going to give my take in the spoiler below as an example to start things off: 

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t personally mind banditry so long as it’s interactive and not just low tier “give loot or die” rp. Jumping right to some 1-emote *stab after halting someone to initiate combat is low quality and not something we should be tolerating in regards to villainy. In my opinion, if you’re going to loot someone maiming/roughing someone up rather than killing is better.

If the victim’s legs were broken due to not wanting to give up their items and they were left to crawl back to the city, they could make RP from that. They get to seek out a doctor, potentially develop some kind of trauma from the experience, maybe look into revenge or developing in some other manner. There’s potential there for growth, but when your character is just killed with no real rp, it leaves you with no experience for the character to build off of as their memory is wiped.

It’s all about a collaborative experience, and at the end of the day we shouldn’t be so loot oriented or eager to just kill others with minimal RP. The standards for banditry should be raised, as it grants everyone the opportunity to create more RP, rather than allowing for the current low effort banditry we see today.

Aye, that opinion is pretty much my own on the matter. Ain’t a whole lotta point in banditry if half the parties involved don’t remember it happening. Don’t want someone to recognize you from banditing them? Genuinely conceal yourself, put out their eyes, somethin’.

I think banditry should not be PvP-based, because this is an RP server. Instead, it should be an RP interaction, and should usually not result in a character’s death. This would erase all of the develop of the character during the encounter. 

The playerbase doesn’t provide a good enough reason to be left alive. To leave one’s victims alive will usually always result in an unfavourable outcome for the bandit in the long run. Furthermore, the fact people can join midway through RP combat is a problem. RP banditry has to be made lackluster to ensure that there isn’t enough time being made for a meta squad or other white knights to show up. With how the system operates, banditry is only viable with a 9 man group so you can PvP default someone without the hassle that can come from the lawlessness of RP combat.

Edited by Charles_Grimlie

For me, I have done a lot of banditry since I joined the server, and in all honesty it is one of my favorite things to do. As an orc we would send a snaga into a popular road and have them cry out for help, then like 5 orcs would jump whoever fell for the trap. Now, with that being said we did not always win the conflicts, but we won most as we caught them off guard. This is a fun event for the attackers, and can even be fun for the defenders. A lot of the time, if the rp goes smooth we would just take some of their items, and in the rare case we kill them in rp we would most likely let them SS unless they were rude. As for the groups, that just go up and stab players, as was done to me nearly 2 days ago, I do not agree with that role play. Players should require some rp that is built around it. For example, asking to search them for the items you wish to acquire, or give them options besides straight death. 

So to answer the question, yes I do believe we should continue to allow banditry. However, there should be some work to change how it is carried out.

Banditry should never be as targeted as it has been nowadays. People tend to see individuals who do "bandit RP" as mere PvP goons who just want to get their daily clicks, but it is usually the banditting side that gets most of the blame, or most of the crap from people. GMs always tend to side with the defender side, even though they are clearly at guilt. For example, A GM has sided with a dude who was surrounded by three bandits, who managed to dodge all of our attacks, and who clearly powergamed. Even if the person being banditted doesn't give crap to you, you will likely get a metarally as soon as possible, or the individual in question will pretend to go afk. GMs should allow banditry to commence as it did before, with allowed copy paste emotes, given that they are detailed. Erilobar got a 2 month CB for a copy paste emote by his lordship Kaelan. I geniunely feel like banditry may bring good RP to the table if the defender is not allowed to perform actions that might stress the bandit so they hurry up with their emotes. Think outside of the box for a moment. You are banditing, but there is the threat of a twenty man rally coming at you without the dude in front of you doing anything. There is also the question of this person wasting your time in CRP semantics, for 2 hours, while you as the bandit just want some items. I think banditry can develop both characters, since it is a realistic profession on a fantasy setting, if the defender is limited more in terms of their capabilities in escaping so easily from the situation. There at least should be a rp lock, so their metarally can't gank you the moment you put your emote. Copy paste emotes shouldn't be a reason for CB's either. 

10 minutes ago, FlamboyantTyrant said:

This is nice and all, but generally when it comes to the bandit side of the RP most bandits are trying to get in and out as quickly as possible to avoid a meta rally. You tend to learn quick from the first time someone stops responding or starts to take forever to respond and suddenly you're surrounded by half a city to go for the kill quick to not give them the chance. As for leaving the person alive I half agree with this. The point of being a bandit is to be a villain, and for most bandits the goal is to either “get rich” or “get kills” if I were just a thief I wouldn't try to confront anyone in the first place. The issue with letting someone live is the risk of your identity being given away, the more people who get a look at you the more detailed a description of you can be made and the quicker you’re likely to get killed yourself.

There’s a responsibility placed upon both sides in bandit encounters and I tend to see most of the blame for the rise in quick “give loot now die” encounters placed upon the bandits whilst the people who get bandited and take it to ooc slinging insults and making the whole experience un-enjoyable just get passed over. I no longer bandit but near the end of my time I just wanted to get the encounter over with to not deal with the ooc crying.

Banditry discourages exploration via the main roads and thus further isolates every community on LOTC from every other community.

If people weren’t discouraged from traveling due to banditry, I’d appreciate banditry a lot more.

Ok, so I too don’t mind banditry as long as it is more than just the “lol pvp default.” But we’re at a point where it’s expected to be that so neither side is compliant. Even when there is a bandit who does actual banditry, I’ll use @Simba for an example, it’s expected to be a nuisance and the participants generally want to get over it. Bandits do need to care more about the rp and start caring about what type of villainy they want to do.

I’ve got a really good friend of mine who plays a bandit and he doesn't like the whole “Mina or die” idea. If you get stopped on the road. It should be something that ends out adding to your character, not some simple thing that happens just to gain pixels then you never recall the interaction because you died. There should be something more defined on how banditry goes. For those reading this, try not to kill without a reason. Give them a reason to, maybe some mental problems that arise from killing a random person you just met on the roads. There are exceptions of that but not every one is a psychopath.

Banditry isn’t the current problem. What about conflict rules in general – namely raiding and wars? 

This is like Blizzard Entertainment, where when a player complains about A and B, they decide to mess with C.

Banditry should be allowed, as long as it provides meaningful rp between both parties involved, and not just kill someone and take everything on them. When that occurs, it’s simply not fun for the party that gets killed. I’ve had experience with good banditry and bad banditry, and when the rp is good with bandits, I don’t mind handing over some loot, or even getting injured. But when it’s just kill and take loot, and little to no rp is involved, that is when it becomes boring, and borderline frustrating.

Remove any form of PVP banditry. People running around and cheesing RP to turn it to PVP is super dumb. Make it so if someone wants to do bandit RP its interactive roleplay that doesn’t encourage killing the target but leaving an experience for characters to develop from.