Your View - Banditry

GodEmperorFlam

I don't think the answer to the issue would be not allowing bandit Roleplay. As long as it is exactly what the name implies. A Bandit that Roleplay. Stopping someone on the road should be a planned thing, executed by more than one word or emote. 

There is good banditry going on out there, but you're typical type is one liners because CRP takes time. 

I was one tossed a massive emote of a human knight coming at my dark elf, he drew a blade and told me to remove the helm. 

I've heard a story of a bandit tossing a rock o. The road to distract a person. Then he came up with a bow and asked for his coin. The dude them PM the target and said he only want 50-70 mina, anything else would be crazy. 

It should be regulated, I believe. Not outright forsook. 

Its an interesting topic. I've heard complains of the Reivers but they always gave me back any RP item taken in a raid. In fact, I know they went out of their way to do so. For many people. 

I think it needs work, and regulations. 

Through looking at both views (my own, and a bandit’s), I think banditing is fine, so long as like the example said, it generates good interaction RP. Though, I do believe there should be some sort of new guideline for it- if the player is new (with the pink username and [N] tag), you should not be able to kill them or completely maim them- the day I joined, I was taken just outside of CT (through baiting) and knocked out, but, thankfully, a really great RPer bought the character and set her up in Fenn instead of actually making her a slave or straight up killing her. That made me want to stay instead of leaving for a different server, because, like I still think now, there are genuine RPers (the type that don’t meta and take IRP stuff into OOC or vice versa) that made me want to stay. It made my experience so much better than I thought it’d turn out to be the second I made that mistake, and, I want other new players to be able to have that sort of relief, too, so they aren’t put under too much stress to not die in the first month while also trying to develop their first character.

2 minutes ago, Tox said:

Remove any form of PVP banditry. People running around and cheesing RP to turn it to PVP is super dumb. Make it so if someone wants to do bandit RP its interactive roleplay that doesn’t encourage killing the target but leaving an experience for characters to develop from.

I believe that's your one way ticket to destroy a very niche community of players. Banditry is nerfed as it is and you fail to consider what the side of the bandit might feel. If you are going to force "meaningful RP" which seemingly means "CRP so I can magic you" in your tongue, there is a high chance of you pming your buddies so they pull up on the road to call PVP now that they got the majority after all. We geniunely do not want to spend 2 hours CRPing with people, arguing over semantics just for 10 white knights to show up. I would prefer a 30 second solution. It's not about PVP at all. It's just about efficiency of method. You just assumed that all people who bandit are just toxic pvpers who want daily cliccz so I'm going to go ahead and assume that the people who want pvp to be destroyed are egdy elven magic snowflakes who are disgruntled because they can't powergame when the blue bandana man clicks you..

Every time ive been robbed on the road, in a city, or anywhere else, my character has been killed. There’s literally no rp that comes out of it. They just pop me and take my stuff. So I think banditry needs some harsher rules. Much harsher.

I like roleplay, and PvP doesn't discount roleplay. But bandits never give you time to respond. 

Look, I main a halfling. That means that I get bandited a lot. I've been playing for less than two months and I've bee bandited thrice, burgled twice, and had my livestock either slaughtered or stolen about a dozen times now. So, I think I've had a bit of experience with it. Here's my thoughts. 

Being bandited is fun. I love it...or at least I should. The bandits stop me and ask for for my money and goods and I begin to type a reply. Before I can finish my reply, they're already demanding my stuff three or more times. I'm not writing a novel. But they don't want roleplay. They want my money and then to split. Where's the fun in that? Where's the story? That kind of banditry is nothing. It's boring. It's dull. It's unimaginative.

Give me story. Or, if not that, give me the opportunity for at least a simple response. 

5 minutes ago, Haseroth said:

omfg i agree so much!! tbh pvp in general should just be completely disallowed. everytime i login i see a blue bandane dark elf called dirty goon!! he keeps pvping me!! omfggg i tried practicing clicking on hypixel but i just cant outclick him.. :(( bro i just wanna keep my magic pixels wtfff why cant the staff lemme live my fantasies of solo’ing entire regiments of soldiers!!!! IM FUMMING ?

Hi you. 

Yeah Imma heckle you. 

Yeah we can take it to a VC. 

Yeah man it's crazy man imagine wanting roleplay on a roleplay server bro. Man that's so wild. 

Its kinda like people playing battle toads to play a really hard game. 

What's that? Oh that's why people play battle toads? Oh word okay. I'm sure there's another example. 

Its kinda like people playing Dark Souls to play a challenging RPG. 

Wait again? Man that's weird okay hang on. 

So you know how people like playing League of Legends and Apex for PvP? 

Wait you're fuckin shitting me they really do? 

Well I'm sure LOTC is a Factions server so let's give a look. 

Wow. 

I am in disbelief. 

It sells itself as the biggest RP server on Mineman

That's kinda weird huh?

Edited by FunkyBunch101

2 minutes ago, Tox said:

You’re not even roleplaying at that point then you’re pvping. Get off lotc if you want to pvp

Uhh. I'm the Lord Marshal of unspecified human country dude. What do you mean I don't roleplay?

1 minute ago, FunkyBunch101 said:

Hi you. 

Yeah Imma heckle you. 

Yeah we can take it to a VC. 

Yeah man it's crazy man imagine wanting roleplay on a roleplay server bro. Man that's so wild. 

Its kinda like people playing battle toads to play a really hard game. 

What's that? Oh that's why people play battle toads? Oh word okay. I'm sure there's another example. 

Its kinda like people playing Dark Souls to play a challenging RPG. 

Wait again? Man that's weird okay hang on. 

So you know how people like playing League of Legends and Apex for PvP? 

Wait you're fuckin shitting me they really do? 

Well I'm sure LOTC is a Factions server so let's give a look. 

Wow. 

I am in disbelief. 

It sells itself as the biggest RP server on LOTC. 

That's kinda weird huh?

i agree 100%%!!! all these clicker goons needs to go back to 2b2t!!

Honestly the issue is that most bandits are people who are there for loot grabs OOCly and not actually providing an enjoyable RP experience. It’s fine to want to get loot OOCly, but when you’re so focused on killing people and making them d20 and stuff rather than helping them have a good time as well, that’s when it becomes a problem.

Not only this, but a lot of emotes are usually just... instant kill emotes, and the idea of wanting loot OOCly contributes to this poor RP. One or two liners. Here’s a good example a friend sent me one day. f5ba9842c1fddef82a39e259f7ab28d6.png
f5ba9842c1fddef82a39e259f7ab28d6-png.jpg
This stuff is what I’d consider the bottom of the barrel, and I’m sure nobody would consider this “quality RP” or something they could enjoy. Sad part is that these types of emotes consist of about 90% of banditry. 

As I see it, you’re usually lucky if you aren’t killed when getting bandited. Most of the time its just a short one liner, followed by a request to d20 at some point if the target is killed. While this may not be for everyone, the interaction I just described isn’t uncommon to see. This type of RP is purely one sided and provides nothing to the target if they’re killed. No story, no real RP, nothing. 

While I don’t exactly have any ideas on how it can be fixed, these are some of the main issues that I thought of from the top of my head. 

Edit: Im slightly retarded  and forgot I spent about a month as a bandit, so I’m going to counter my own point because **** you

“As I see it, you’re usually lucky if you aren’t killed when getting bandited.”

People are usually killed by bandits because when people are let go, chances are that person is going to go to the closest city possible and call for help. Within about a minute or two, there's about 9 guys in full armor riding up to you all on horses. Yeah, its part of being a bandit, but we gotta consider both sides of the party. Bandits won’t have fun either if they can’t even get around to doing anything without being killed by a rally every single time. 

This happened to me on numerous occasions because the person we happened to not kill went off and told the closest city there were bandits 

Edited by Jaded

Just now, Haseroth said:

i agree 100%%!!! all these clicker goons needs to go back to 2b2t!!

I can not tell if that's sarcasm or not. But Nah all PvP shouldn't be removed. I'm not a fan of random raids and road side PvP but massive skirmishes and WC's are some pretty fun PvP regardless. Or at least I enjoy them. 

I personally think that banditary should, majority of the time, as many people have said leave the person being bandited alive. While yes, this creates a difficult situation for the bandit, it also allows character development for the person who was just assaulted. We’re all here for that kind of experience, right? And if you’re not then idek why you’re here but yk whatever I guess. 

I also think that banditry shouldn’t be able to be PVP and that bandit groups can’t pass a certain number of people, let’s say 5-6. This is because PVP default, while useful when it comes down to a **** fest of 10+ people, can also hamper rp, which is literally the point of this server is to rp. 

Just my opinion though ;)

think everyone sleeping on the fact that victims are often just as degenerate as bandits, stalling out the banditos until their friends can pull up or otherwise. this doesnt make bandits instagibbing people correct but its why they do it. the meta of banditry has been refined over the years to smth that isnt rp friendly. tho, removing robbery would be really regressive and dumb, there’s certainly a better solution.

5 minutes ago, Destroyer_Bravo said:

think everyone sleeping on the fact that victims are often just as degenerate as bandits, stalling out the banditos until their friends can pull up or otherwise. this doesnt make bandits instagibbing people correct but its why they do it. the meta of banditry has been refined over the years to smth that isnt rp friendly. tho, removing robbery would be really regressive and dumb, there’s certainly a better solution.

Totally agreed. I have been told by ab edgy CRPer that "he just wants to waste my time" one time, and I'm the toxic one.

Loot based banditry has been my bane on my time on LOTC. It is not looked at with fear, or as a challenge to be overcome, but as a chore, a tedious mess. It is a pain to fight with bandits, it is a pain to circumnavigate around with bandits, even capitulating to bandits and letting your things be taken, its a coinflip whether they shall decide to murder your character or let them go. 

Even moreso, the vast majority of bandits arnt random rag-tag brigands hiding away from society in the woods-... They’re people in full order uniforms, acting the will of some militairy or religeous order. I have had interactions with bandits roughly about 13 times within the past 2 months, of those times,  only 2 of those 13  were not comprised of many members of one established order in matching uniforms.

These arnt in-character bandits banditting- these’re just random joes who already have a 9-to-5 deciding to go attack the travelling townies for loot...

It doesnt help that these bandits do their best to bend the rules to try and have things go in their favor. (Claiming defender default if someone attacks first to a raised weapon) This is so common, I even managed to catch it on stream a good bit ago.

Problem isn’t bandit RP. Problem is Bad Rpers.