Your View - Banditry

GodEmperorFlam

33 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Banditry discourages exploration via the main roads and thus further isolates every community on LOTC from every other community.

If people weren’t discouraged from traveling due to banditry, I’d appreciate banditry a lot more.

Accidently reported your post instead of replying to it but, Players playing a game should not always be safe and should not always have everything given to them, there should be loss and setbacks and you should not even always be having fun on the game, Things like these drive players to fight back harder next time or teach them what to do better in the future and can also motivate them to get back to where they were before or something like that. The biggest thing that can set someone back on lotc and maybe one of the only things (As the server babies its players too much) is banditry and without it a lot of the players that don’t want to always win and want a challenge or something to fight will probably leave pretty fast if it’s removed. 

I bandit quite a bit and so do most of my friends, thats one of the reasons i play Lotc is because i enjoy banditing (Before I get called out for playing Lotc because i like pvping and banditing remember that these are both large aspects of the game and people shouldn’t be targeted or lower than others based in what aspects of the game they enjoy and play for). When i do bandit I try and do good RP and i tell my guys to do that too, I also usually let compliant people go free, sometimes if they have an RP item that I wouldn’t need that would mean something to their character I let them keep it too. But the problem arises mostly when the people you are banditing Stall, Don’t RP even when you’re doing it right and go straight to calling a gm, Meta rally, constantly Argue with you in looc or just Combat log (which has happened to me three times in this past week). I think that the bandit system is pretty good compared to all the other aspects of the conflict rules (which really need to be redone) there are minor changes that could be made but not to nerf it in anyway or stop PVP against people who don’t comply to banditry, the only changes if any should be made to make sure that people getting bandited can’t pull all this stupid OOC avoiding and stalling **** aswell as changes or enforcement to make sure people arnt just running around doing **** tier emotes and killing everyone with one or two emotes without allowing real time for response. 

If the goal of banditry was to provide an interactive opportunity for character development for both sides then it would be really good.
The problem is that most bandits are only there for loot. They don’t care about character development because they will always just make a new one when they die to avoid consequences.
Bad banditry isn’t only caused by the bandits, though. The victim can be as much of a problem as the bandits, and in most cases, is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

46 minutes ago, Tox said:

Remove any form of PVP banditry. People running around and cheesing RP to turn it to PVP is super dumb. Make it so if someone wants to do bandit RP its interactive roleplay that doesn’t encourage killing the target but leaving an experience for characters to develop from.

high key based as ****

would actually make bandits learn what other players do on the server, effectively levels the playing ground of rpers being **** at pvp and vice versa. 
also would make it so that players stick to what they can do

if i got “Shitterhz” banditing me in front of nordengrad and he gets upset that someone happens to walk along, his fault, drag the rp off the road or some **** 
if i also got shitterhz logging off at the slightest face of adversity and wanting rp encounters at most 30 seconds long, i dont think he should play a bandit

if you want banditry rp, take the person off the road, fuckin’ roleplay with them, not “if you give me money ill let you live” and you let them walk away.

I think Hotdip and someone else (I think pancakes?) pulled me over right in front of haense crossroads a long while ago. I thought it was silly that people kept walking up and saying “HEY WHATS GOING ON HERE” DRAWS SWORD, but I also understand- its in the middle of the damn road between nations, and we were actually doing roleplay there, with more negotiation than robbery- which I found fun. I dont think it was pancakes and hotdip but – I do thank you for it. Banditry rp now, at least in the north, is just an excuse to pvp really. I think theres more avenues and routes, and restricting it to crp default allows for bandits to actually care about who to bandit, rather than always having a safe net of “Im better at PVP than this N tag or this mage player”. 

No bandits mean no guards.

No bandits mean not realistic

You lost your pixels just like you’d lose your stuff in the real world if you travel alone. Banditry is realistic, however, it’s hard to be a bandit. Reivers had been disbanded because of moderators target banning bandits. There’s also the fact that Imperial patrols are out every so often, so it’s an incentive for bandit roleplay to be subpar. There’s also the fact that crp always drags because people don’t like losing, or cry about not being able to roll, or literally anything to stall for people to come. Then there’s the fact that mods can’t act on very blatant metagaming because of no evidence. 

Banditry prevents the server from getting stale, it gives characters something to roleplay about. 

Example 1: I am going to travel to Sutica to get roleplay. I traveled to Sutica for roleplay and now I am sitting in a tavern roleplaying. Yay.

Example 2: I am going to travel to Sutica to get roleplay. I traveled to Sutica, when all of a sudden I saw someone on the road crying for help! I decided that I needed to help them. When I bent down to try and pick them up to their feet, five bandits jumped out of the bushes with their swords drawn! I knew that I had  no chance to beat them six on one, so I complied to their demands to save my life. I then continued on my way to Sutica, to alert them of the bandits on the road!

Bandits make things much more interesting, think random Skyrim encounters.

PVP is also necessary so you won’t get metagamed. Deal with the **** ******* conflict rules before you listen to rpers complain about pixels.

28 minutes ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

Loot based banditry has been my bane on my time on LOTC. It is not looked at with fear, or as a challenge to be overcome, but as a chore, a tedious mess. It is a pain to fight with bandits, it is a pain to circumnavigate around with bandits, even capitulating to bandits and letting your things be taken, its a coinflip whether they shall decide to murder your character or let them go. 

Even moreso, the vast majority of bandits arnt random rag-tag brigands hiding away from society in the woods-... They’re people in full order uniforms, acting the will of some militairy or religeous order. I have had interactions with bandits roughly about 13 times within the past 2 months, of those times,  only 2 of those 13  were not comprised of many members of one established order in matching uniforms.

These arnt in-character bandits banditting- these’re just random joes who already have a 9-to-5 deciding to go attack the travelling townies for loot...

It doesnt help that these bandits do their best to bend the rules to try and have things go in their favor. (Claiming defender default if someone attacks first to a raised weapon) This is so common, I even managed to catch it on stream a good bit ago.

Nobody respects Quavinir because he powergames lawl

3 minutes ago, DeusVult said:

snip

The issue is that almost nobody ever survives bandit rp, so it ends up impacting nothing.

3 minutes ago, JuniperSelkie said:

The issue is that almost nobody ever survives bandit rp, so it ends up impacting nothing.

Homie I unno about that. Only people I pop are annoying ones, or people I icly have grudges against.

Banditry in and of itself is flawed. If you look at groups that bandit a lot, such as orcs, reivers, etc, you see that a larger percentage of players getting involved in this type of environment acquiring very toxic behaviors. With these toxic behaviors, other issues spawn, and therefore you see a higher percentage of these players being banned when compared to other communities. I understand some bandits are good, and put in legitimate rp, and don’t care if they win or lose, and I know people will say this. However, these do not constitute anywhere close to a majority bandit encounters.

Typically, roleplay doesn’t grow from banditry. As someone else pointed out, generally people aren’t left alive by bandits. If they hand over their items right away, sure, maybe they will be. If the defending party chooses to run or fight, it’s basically a guaranteed death for one party. There’s no incentive for either party to be left alive, as then the other will remember them and be able to hunt them down.

I do not believe you should completely remove loot based pvp, as that would be stupid if you killed someone and didn’t have the chance to get all their items. However, the culture behind banditry needs to be changed in order to improve the toxic environment surrounding it.

I’ve no idea how good or bad the Villain Application system was, but I believe implementation of such a system could do some good. If villainy is something that must be earned, can be taken away if people begin acting toxic, and then those people are addressed, you could end up with a healthier system than the current blacklist system. If done this way, the server could work to set a precedent for banditry RP that its members could be held to, and establish a system of redlines that players with villainy applications would get warnings for if violated.

Might be a lot of problems with such a system, but probably less problematic than however many players we have banned/blacklisted RN for bandit related stuff.

bring back VAs hehe

i’ll give u guys a hint bandit roleplay isn’t really motivated by a desire for loot, when you boil it down you just have ppl who power trip off of killing defenseless rpers. this behavior is obviously not compatible with any sort of cooperative or fun roleplay environment, and should be discouraged

seriously iffy about banning “bandit roleplay” or even “loot-based bandit roleplay” because you’re going to end up ******* over the unlucky 1% of players who want to actually roleplay something interesting. at the same time conflict blacklists hit the wrong people for the wrong reasons, honest to god some sort of rudimentary villain app that weeds out the laziest shitters might be good for the server

if you don’t like bandits get some guards and move around with said guards. Solve the problem with RP, instead of involving staff once more; we don’t need more change right now. What ever happened to letting the players sort of police themselves?

You can lose, as well as win as win on LoTC, and I think a lot of people need to realise that. This is not a narrative written by one player. You will get bandited, how you deal with it is up to you, but making it an affair for the staff is not conducive to a happy and working server. 

There is no need to change the banditry rules right now, but please do have a rethink on the conflict rules as they are not good.

I played when PvP was pretty much off on LoTC. It was awful. You had katana wielding mages backflipping to slice your head off. It was bad. 

No thanks 

i don’t get why people get so salty over dying on a minecraft roleplay server, there’s nothing to really lose unless you’re carrying special rp items and i gotta tell u need to have balls for that. If you do carry important RP items (other than a ves watch halberd) on you, welcome to the 1%.......... If you’re apart of the 99% there’s nothing really important to lose, if you know you’re a loner and can’t get friends to meta-rally with you, just skip to PvP default even if you can’t do it and just die. If banditry is not RP but PvP, why would you take it in the RP way? We got monks that let you just shrug off **** for free. Here’s the benefits of skipping to pvp default if you’re an annoying individual:

1. You’ll fast forward the inevitable
  2. There will be no headache
  3. You don’t need to feed a moderator a modreq and go through all the stupid ****
  4. You save yourself from a lot of headache
  5. The time that you spend arguing with the other person about how attacking you doesn’t feels right because you’re a mage could be used to force the PvP situation so you can soulstone and go straight up back to Roleplay
  6. There’s nothing big to lose if you die in pvp, like, what? Monkbread and the occasional iron set that you can buy within a day’s voting? Like what? pfft... food and iron is so cheap, you can regear/refill yourself incredibly easy

tl;dr Skip over to pvp, it’ll save you and the bandit headache and time

no one bandits for gear, its just for the fun of smashing people, satisfaction or bullying

1 hour ago, DeusVult said:

No bandits mean no guards.

Incorrect, guards are needed for standard upkeep of a nation, both for the upholdence of the law and for any exterior threats, whether event related, random players, or invaders from other nations.

No bandits mean not realistic

Mayhaps, yet bandits themselves are not dealt with in a realistic fashion. This may be due to the roleplay quality that bandits do, or it may simply be due to how the world of LOTC is an acts, given death is by no means permanent. If a bandit was killed in the real world- they’d be dead, and dead for good, the same for the victims. Brigandry did exist in the middle ages, dark ages, and rennaissance, however, it was not so common that nearly every single person in the world had dealt with atleast one bandit.

Banditry is realistic, however, it’s hard to be a bandit.

Banditry consists of threatening, stealing, and killing if the other 2 dont necessarily work out.  It is literally arming yourself, and taking the possessions of others. If you’re under the impression banditry, especially on a server by which everyone you meet is another player, should be easy, than you’re gravely mistaken.

Reivers had been disbanded because of moderators target banning bandits.

There’s also the fact that Imperial patrols are out every so often, so it’s an incentive for bandit roleplay to be subpar.

I am simply going to let those 2 quotes sit right next to eachother.

Then there’s the fact that mods can’t act on very blatant metagaming because of no evidence. 

Mayhaps you should make ban reports if there is very blatant and provable evidence of meta-gaming.

Banditry prevents the server from getting stale, it gives characters something to roleplay about. 

There is unfathomable amount of things to roleplay about on this server, banditry can be one of them, a catalyst for conflict , yes, but far from the only thing.

Example 1: I am going to travel to Sutica to get roleplay. I traveled to Sutica for roleplay and now I am sitting in a tavern roleplaying. Yay.

Example 2: I am going to travel to Sutica to get roleplay. I traveled to Sutica, when all of a sudden I saw someone on the road crying for help! I decided that I needed to help them. When I bent down to try and pick them up to their feet, five bandits jumped out of the bushes with their swords drawn! I knew that I had  no chance to beat them six on one, so I complied to their demands to save my life. I then continued on my way to Sutica, to alert them of the bandits on the road!

The issue is example #2 is probably the most ideal for the victim, which would seemingly be increasingly rare. Its been noted in quite a few comments above how commonly a character is killed from banditry, which would simply have it end :

“So I complied with their demands--“ JUMPCUT “I’m going to travel to Sutica, bu I dont have anything I had earlier and im at the cloud temple. Huh, must’ve been murdered randomly.”

Bandits make things much more interesting, think random Skyrim encounters.

The problem with that analogy is that the bandits in Skyrim are meant to be beaten. There would be far greater complaints if those random encounters comprised not of maybe a few low level, easilly killable bandits, but a half dozen bandits above your level, who would than kill you if you didnt give every single item of value, and every single gold coin (rather than the standard ‘pay up 50 septims’), and than have a 50/50 chance to still be hostile, kill you, and than send you back to riverwood with completely nothing on you.

Deal with the **** ******* conflict rules before you listen to rpers complain about pixels.

I’d urge you to consider that perhaps the topic of banditry may be well included within said conflict rules, and that the opinions of people who roleplay on LOTC (commonly dubbed: Rpers)  may infact be needed to inform these new conflict rules?

Nobody respects Quavinir because he powergames lawl

If you think such, make a player report or such, though it would seem that your banned status speaks for itself to the validity of that claim

. However, its a wee bit rude to only say that when replying to a comment and not discuss a single point brought up from such. 

If the bandits knows how to roleplay I don't see the problem.

it’s honestly been years since I’ve seen poor banditry rp, probably because that would require me to leave my city which isn’t practical with the current activity system.

10/10 would rob @Amayonnaise again. When you actually RP the encounter and leave your target alive, it makes for great dynamic roleplay. Even if that dynamic roleplay is your character being hunted down, interrogated and hanged.