Your View - Banditry

GodEmperorFlam

If the banditry is done properly, in a way that can promote and encourage future RP between the bandit and the victim, then I believe that’s honestly the best banditry out there. Now, regarding the theft of things like minas and items, that’s something of a grey area for me as I feel sometimes people burgle from others purely for the theft aspect, and not the possible future RP it could cause. To put killing on the chopping block now regarding banditry, because the consequences of a player-to-player death, essentially A stabs B and B bleeds out, because there’s no real consequence to death it’s sadly the more common of the endings in banditry, I understand that the thirty minute rule is there to act as a sort of “punishment” for death, I am not saying make the death system be an absolute irreversible PK for that would be too harsh of a punishment, but I believe that the problem is not banditry itself, but how death is handled.

One thing I'll say is that banditry is too PvP focused, with not enough focus ON RP, encouraging cheesing from goon factions such as Flays or Reivers, without actually contributing to RP, which in turn moves LOTC away from an RP server to a simple PvP anarchy server. 

Gonna say outright that if you're playing a character with villainous tendencies like a bandit, you should be prepared to not win all of the time. The purpose of an antagonist like that is to create a struggle that someone else can strive to overcome. By overcoming conflict, characters can develop. When the antagonist in any sort of rp is rushing that conflict just so they can go from words-per-second to clicks-per-second, the others lose all of the value from it.

Part of the issue involves the win-at-all-costs mentality that was brought up some time ago (thanks @Babehab) paired with the loot-based system. Bandit characters often seem cartoonishly one-sided because they aren't played as characters with personal goals, but as a tool to "win" with. They don't have personal codes or any morals which would prevent them from robbing, they're all strong, seasoned fighters, and they act recklessly because they realize that having buddies and being good at pvp means they can kill almost anyone on the roads, wipe their memory, and circumvent most of the rp consequences for it.

I personally prefer when I bandit, to rply bandit someone, as I am only on this server for the rp after all, but there are times when there simply isn’t any time for such and the person you’re trying to rp with is simply incapable of rping properly.

I personaly just want to get over the bandit entcounters as quickly as possible because I don’t see any enjoyment from these things since the latest meetings ended with “Items and then die”. Why should I care when I get killed afterall.

That of course, hurts the players who want to provide the good kind of bandit roleplay where they actively rp with their victims and do different things beside the usual “Give items and then die”. Villain roleplay is not easy and it has a lot of risks, but players who choose to rp a bandit as example should know these risks because like in all media etc., a bandit has the risk to get caught and get killed. Actual bandits are in need to prepare beforehand and can’t count on brute force all the time.

. Majority of banditry role-play sucks and it lacks actual interaction the excuses of why it tends to be poor is sad. However I’ve had banditry that I found fun and enjoyed and I believe that if people took their time and had character development why they were bandits I think it would be a great part of the server.

. CRP is not for everyone and constantly bringing up the fact Lotc is a role-play server and not factions or something similar is getting old. Pvp can and has been used for role-play for years on Lotc and in general a lot of other games. I do believe that people who tend to call Pvp should in fact attempt to CRP as should Rpers try and Pvp instead of calling a GM. (Cause neither one of you would want to wait hours for a response I bet) If both parties agree to Pvp let it happen and same for CRP.

. I wouldn’t call myself pro banditry nor am I against it I am in the middle. I lean towards being against it, but I can swiftly change to liking it if banditry role-play is taken serious by not only the bandits but everyone. 

(Don’t delete my msg lemme know if I took a jab at anyone. My ma was proud that I took time and typed something.)

It does not promote role-play to take a form of role-play someone else enjoys. Banditry may not be the best RP and it causes inconvenience and grief to a lot of people and can in all honesty be extremely annoying. They are a petty form of RP where they must survive off things they rob from people, but it’s still a type of RP that groups of players enjoy. I couldn’t exactly say it’s the most quality RP you might get on the server but if you stay in one place too long your bound to be caught. You really shouldn’t expect the same thing from raiders too when clearly they are performing an action and irl don’t seek to have a dialogue really.

it shouldn’t exactly be safe in the wilds or roads outside of Cloud Temple and if a bandit or raider stays in one place to long after causing misfortune then they are bound to be hanged if they are caught.

it’s also an important sense of duty for guards to have to drive bandits from their lands whether its fighting them on the roads or sacking their den. pvp is just as much of a priority as RP on the server when wars create more activity than RP events. it’s not my taste of RP but I certainly feel there are bigger questions to be asked.

Bandit RP almost made me quit day one, as I got mugged on a road within hours of being accepted. I didn’t understand how anything worked, or how rp worked in general, and the group who robbed me wouldn’t even acknowledge the fact that I was completely new. Since then I’ve been mugged multiple times, and often forced into pvp I wasn’t really wanting. I joined the server for RP, not to be poofed by goons who only want pixels.

I don’t see banditry as the problem, its the pvp based bandits who are. The pixel hungry goons, who aren’t here for RP and just here to cause trouble. I love good villainy RP, my character has be sacrificed twice, tortured, and thrown off a roof all for good RP and I really enjoyed it. When the people doing it are also there for good quality RP it makes for some really fun experiences. But this is a Role Play server, not pvp. 

4 hours ago, rotund_man said:

i’ll give u guys a hint bandit roleplay isn’t really motivated by a desire for loot, when you boil it down you just have ppl who power trip off of killing defenseless rpers. this behavior is obviously not compatible with any sort of cooperative or fun roleplay environment, and should be discouraged

I’ve been around for like 7 years on this server (Jesus christ) and this is basically it. Its not more complicated than this, dont overthink it

Bandits will always have behavioral incentives that are misaligned with quality roleplay and an enjoyable experience for the victim. The pvrpose of banditry in both RP and OOC is to rob people (and sometimes just to mess w/ ppl in a power fantasy fashion, which is way worse), and the most effective method of robbing people is with quick, short, and simple emotes that progresses to combat as quickly as possible. Also, bandits have no reason to let their victims live. Killing their victims gives bandits material (items) and immaterial (not getting reported) gain, so bandits always stand to benefit by killing their victims instead of having mercy. Given this reality, anyone with half a brain must accept the FACT that the majority of bandit RP is always going to be about killing and robbing the victims in as efficient a manner as possible, aka “minas or die” PVP banditry.

If you think bandit RP will ever be anything other than “minas or die,” you live in a fantasy world – go play an elf.

Edit: And tbf to bandits, on the flipside, there’s every material incentive for the victim of a banditry scenario to meta stall, to be uncooperative, and to call GMs at the slightest potential rules infraction by the bandits. When people stand to gain by behaving badly they tend to behave badly, which is why victims of bandits tend to be toxic assholes.

The long story short is that banditry is always going to lead to anger, toxicity, community resentment, and bad RP. Up to the server to decide whether that’s worth it or not.

Edited by AGiantPie

I think there is a problem with conflict rules in general. Banditry is a victim to those...

I simply dislike the idea of banditry, yes it does provide some sort of outlet for role-players who want to play thieves or what else. But most use it as an outlet to gain easy coin and to kill the new players/unfortunate. Most usually use their second character slot, waiting for their timer to go off and just head off to kill with a goblin/orc/dark elf skin. They then surround you when they tell you to halt, one suddenly behind you and then one in front of you. Either create more sort of ruling behind it to where the victim retains more of a pleasure or just end the dumb idea.

8 hours ago, Ixli said:

Banditry isn’t the current problem. What about conflict rules in general – namely raiding and wars? 

This is like Blizzard Entertainment, where when a player complains about A and B, they decide to mess with C.

Bring back normal raids.

Really, there is nothing wrong with banditry, but I may be a little biased I guess. Even though this is a roleplay server, 9/10 people do not want to sit for two hours typing to each other in CRP when you can PVP, which takes less than ten minutes when there are no problems.

The conflict rules in general need to be revised in my opinion.

On Starting

I believe that we should make it so methods of halting people on the road are easier other than already engaging in violence, this means bandits don’t have to do crappy copy & paste to actually start a fight

On Fighting

Bandits should be smart and polite when in emotes, no stupid ‘swings sword at them’ emotes, and these should be seen as improper roleplay, bandits should actually know how to CRP and not be merely using combat as a media of getting into pvp, this should also be frowned upon as a sort of ‘pvp baiting’. Defender default should be chosen as a choice of media of ending conflict, not because the bandit is attacking you with the shittiest emotes to man

On Ending

Bandits should be kind and polite after conflict, toxicity does nothing but continue toxicity and only removes reputation of roleplay from bandits, I like those who are lenient to death punishments, such as allowing the victim to SS and maybe taking an item and some mina from them, this is a fair and just method of banditting.

On Roleplay Criticism

When an emote is made in combat where someone disagrees, the accused should do either of two things, firstly they can try to prove that their emote is possible (e.g. “You can’t grab your sword without cutting yourself!” and the bandit showing a video on ‘half swording’ which is a viable method of holding a sword), alternatively they can change their emote to something more possible. When coming around this both should be polite as unless you’ve studied a lot about the human body, you are bound to not understand all of the ways it can respond

Conclusion

Bandits should be bandits because of roleplay, not because of pixels or clicks, roleplay bandits are great bandits, like Flemish’s Ghoul back in the day or some of the Reivers who also rp’d proficiently enough, I’ve had bandits who have merely used crp in a way so bad that the only option was pvp, and I’ve had orcs come up and just say ‘punches in face’, roleplay like this gives nothing good to a bandit’s reputation and we should change that 

When you have banned players like Ghazriel running up and down the road all day for several hours banditing people with lackluster emotes expecting pvp every time and mc’ly sprinting away when its rp, theres a problem.