Your View - Banditry

GodEmperorFlam

I used to bandit a LOT, and always did it in rp. Both on my orc characters and human ones, thievery was the primary goal and never ended up killing almost anyone. I think the purpose of playing a villain, any kind for that matter, is to fill a niche in a story and provide a common goal to unite people. In doing so you create more rp, and help to turn mundane rp into something more memorable. I’m wholly opposed to any form of PVP besides nation vs nation battles and think that banditry should be done in rp. #RPdefault2019 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, Burnsider said:

?‍?

Okay, so I've been thinking about this and I believe a solution may be in changing part of Lotc's culture. Now, in LARP culture, there is something known as consent roleplay. One of the key components of consent roleplay is called check-ins. 

Basically, when your character and another player's character come into conflict, you should check in with that person OOC later to see if that person is okay. The same should be the case with conflict in LOTC. 

"Hey, this is the guy who just robbed you. I wanted to see if you are okay after that." 

"I'm fine. I really wanted to be able to roleplay a little more. I felt like you rushed the conflict and then killed me when I wasn't responding fast enough. I can't help being a slow typer."

"Man, I'm so sorry about that. I was getting nervous because I know a guard patrol was out, so I felt I needed to get what I could and run before that happened."

"That happens. Thanks for apologizing."

Boom. Done. Easy. And let's face it. It's the mature and responsible thing to do in a game. 

“Basically, when your character and another player's character come into conflict, you should check in with that person OOC later to see if that person is okay. The same should be the case with conflict in LOTC.”

What are we ******* Massivecraft?

Banditry would be a lot cooler in my opinion if there was an actual source location for the bandits, a camp or a fort site. This would open up RP avenues and would make the classical hubbub that results from retaliations and metagaming a bit more cushioned.

Banditry as it stands now is rather lame. You have dumb **** like [disguised voice] or people with bandanas, arguments that they sourced the armor from different locales – did you actually RP getting this done? I doubt it. It’s openly disruptive and there is zero risk on part of the bandits themselves save having to deal with a decent number on the defense. That’s silly.

Having the requirement to have a site would be far better imo. You cannot bandit, if you do not have a site. Sites can be raided at any time, on account of the fact bandits can bandit at any time, and you do not require a warclaim to destroy them. This will encourage making a site both adequate and well hidden, like actual bandits.

But muh proxies and mercenaries. Ok, cool, if you want to RP with zero consequences as a nation or a nation leader go on massivecraft. You shouldn’t be endorsing pvp and ‘organic rp’ like raids and banditry if you do not accept the risks that SHOULD be associated with it.

Bearing that in mind I also think this would address the issue of ‘caps’ for players. This would open up a lot more fluid pvp interaction between groups potentially and be a lot more inclusive for a larger number of players, giving that feeling of both accomplishment and being in a battle that actually matters versus a large lagfest in a warclaim that starts two hours late. Bandits, for once, also actually have to work for banditry rather than just having a chest in their other character’s home that they store loot in. Could be neat.

Random banditry cannot truly prevail if there is unenforced pking, part of the reason a lot of people don’t like roadside bandits is because there’s next to zero legitimate ways to retaliate save killing them there and then. It won’t ever stop, because that player will either just have another shitty alt or just not pk and continue on their ventures with loot and supplies they either acquired on a different character or was distributed to them on behalf of a nation in which case... Again, rather frustrating for the reasons stated above.

If you’re a lone wolf, you should be RPing imo, rather than resorting to pvp. Large group situations are a different story, thus, making that large group (let’s say 3+ since an RP fight with that number and beyond is cancer) actually do something and create something they stand to lose might answer a number of the complaints and feedback over the years.

Edited by CosmicWhaleShark

14 hours ago, CosmicWhaleShark said:

Banditry would be a lot cooler in my opinion if there was an actual source location for the bandits, a camp or a fort site. This would open up RP avenues and would make the classical hubbub that results from retaliations and metagaming a bit more cushioned.

Banditry as it stands now is rather lame. You have dumb **** like [disguised voice] or people with bandanas, arguments that they sourced the armor from different locales – did you actually RP getting this done? I doubt it. It’s openly disruptive and there is zero risk on part of the bandits themselves save having to deal with a decent number on the defense. That’s silly.

Having the requirement to have a site would be far better imo. You cannot bandit, if you do not have a site. Sites can be raided at any time, on account of the fact bandits can bandit at any time, and you do not require a warclaim to destroy them. This will encourage making a site both adequate and well hidden, like actual bandits.

But muh proxies and mercenaries. Ok, cool, if you want to RP with zero consequences as a nation or a nation leader go on massivecraft. You shouldn’t be endorsing pvp and ‘organic rp’ like raids and banditry if you do not accept the risks that SHOULD be associated with it.

Bearing that in mind I also think this would address the issue of ‘caps’ for players. This would open up a lot more fluid pvp interaction between groups potentially and be a lot more inclusive for a larger number of players, giving that feeling of both accomplishment and being in a battle that actually matters versus a large lagfest in a warclaim that starts two hours late. Bandits, for once, also actually have to work for banditry rather than just having a chest in their other character’s home that they store loot in. Could be neat.

Random banditry cannot truly prevail if there is unenforced pking, part of the reason a lot of people don’t like roadside bandits is because there’s next to zero legitimate ways to retaliate save killing them there and then. It won’t ever stop, because that player will either just have another shitty alt or just not pk and continue on their ventures with loot and supplies they either acquired on a different character or was distributed to them on behalf of a nation in which case... Again, rather frustrating for the reasons stated above.

If you’re a lone wolf, you should be RPing imo, rather than resorting to pvp. Large group situations are a different story, thus, making that large group (let’s say 3+ since an RP fight with that number and beyond is cancer) actually do something and create something they stand to lose might answer a number of the complaints and feedback over the years.

This. The problem is that the mods are highly resistant to land being owned by players without paying exorbitant fees. I’d actually like to get an underground criminal organization going, banditing for a reason, maybe selling the stolen products in a shopfront and claiming that they are legitimately acquired, but there are so many roadblocks to doing this. Additionally, this kind of a system would open up for mobile merchants and caravans and **** and open up even more pathways for RP. Part of my idea with Mi’Jara was to be this shady merchant who eventually lorded over a criminal overworld with money and goods acquired illegitimately, maybe stealing from neighbouring shops with RP or acquriing the assets of other businesses through Rockefellian techniques, however, there are very few alleyways for criminal RP to occur beyond the current meta of halting someone with a copy-pasted emote and killing them irp before doing an inventory search and asking for **** or asking people to D40, which leaves me with an unsatisfying feeling. As such, the only banditlike character I’ve ever played has been my orc, however, even then I’m hardly a bandit, I usually just take people back and sacrifice or slave them and it’s only the rare occasion when I actually take people’s pixels (say if they were incredibly rude and assholish the entire time).

I agree with the opposition to unenforced PKing, however, the problem with this is that the server is built upon the optional PK. So many systems are in place, so many characters alive, based on this unenforced PKing. If PKs were suddenly enforced there’d be a riot from half the population of the server because the unenforced PK has been the way of the server for years excepting in certain scenarios (captured NL, pk clause duels, etc).

I usually PK on a quality based system (was the RP surrounding the death good/would the death advance RP) and I have PK’d a few characters because they died legitimately good deaths and I knew the PK would advance RP and everyone’s story in some way, or thought it would. PKing my old welf guard Lindrael triggered a murder investigation, PKing my goblin warlord Znitgit was supposed to add fuel and investment to the war with the dwarves for the Shrogo clan – even though the war then proceeded to not occur – and I forget but I feel like there’s one I’m missing. Regardless, there are many systems in place that inhibit criminal RP and crime in general and limit it to this cartoon highwayman parody. However, the problem is that instead of people coming up with ways to fix the problem, they just complain that banditry and crime are the problem. A fantasy world without the roadside bandit or the abusive thug is a bleak one devoid of intrigue, devoid of risk, devoid of danger. There’s been an increasing push for actions that OOCly make the world a safer place rather than people taking IRP steps to make it so. Banditry cooldowns, raid cooldowns, limits on the raid cap, etc, all artificially condone this idyllic domestic rp server that many of us didn’t come to LoTC for. If you want a world without violence, go to a High School RP server and play the pretty schoolgirl. Instead of molding LoTC to that, we should be molding LoTC to be more open and allow for more dynamicity, more intrigue, more options.

In my view, banditry should more resemble that of a similar nature irl. Bandits back in ye olde times risked their lives to rob folks, but here, if they lose, they don’t die, they respawn. As such, there is no incentive to not commit banditry. 

Similarly, there is few faster ways to make good money on the server. I say this as an in game merchant, who prides himself on serving his community. Yes, I make money, but often only a few minas a day unless someone buys out my stock. Of course, voting supplements this to a more livable, and honestly, excessive level. I imagine that voting is the money my character would make from all the other citizens that are not players. But bandits don’t make a few minas everyday. If they get lucky someone is carrying a bunch of minas, and if not, they can sell whatever from the inventory. 

And, again, I echo those in other posts who say that banditry rp is very lackluster. There can be good rp there, but the bandit also needs to be scared of something. Just as the victim is scared of violence or the theft of their goods, the bandits have to have a risk attached to the encounter as well. Perma-death would work, except players would just draft up similar characters with even less effort/character development, which might make the situation worse. Somehow, I believe, we must incentivize a different form of rp, something that is more constructive, or we should otherwise lessen banditry in general.

Another thought I had, is that banditry is one of the most consistent forms of rp. If you’re a bandit, you get to force anyone wandering the roads to rp with you. Whereas a general passerby has no real reason to rp with someone they come across while travelling. Often times I ask people if they need directions or something while I’m travelling just to squeeze out any bit of roleplay. But a bandit always has an excuse to stop someone on the street. And as roleplay has been getting harder and harder to find, it’s no wonder people are more attracted to this, even with it being lesser in quality. Especially as gangs and groups of bandits form. Those of us that are outside of the more political side of the server have fewer ways to group up.

I pose no strong solution here, but I know that as a community we can find an answer. I hope I have inspired some thoughts in you, even if I am a relatively new player. I have enjoyed my time thus far on the server, and I look forward to many more moons with you all.

Add in five man raids on a five day cooldown, and include two man banditry no cooldown, but continued harassment will lead to conflict blacklist. Ez fix make everyone happy. For years I’ve been on the side of increasing regulation on PVP, because there was a time when glitching, meme rp, and operating on the edge of the rules in aggressive roleplay killing raiding was allowed. Moderation let things slide, which really reduced the fun of lotc.

for the first time since before axios, I’m on the side of decreasing regulation. There’s no reward for building an army. There’s nothing to do with your army in peacetime. Banditry is no longer a threat. These conflict rules reduce dynamic roleplay, favoring to protect slice of life rp, and totally alienate any form of military and conflict roleplay. Military and conflict roleplay have driven this server since its inception, and these days now that staff have effectively removed conflict altogether, lotc is just boring.

all the current changes are flat out overcompensation. Sorry for **** grammar I had like five minutes and typed this out on my phone.

Don’t they already have villainy blacklists for just overall poor villainy?

Could you not get blacklisted for some instant kill attempts out of the blue??

I like banditry. I’ve never had much problem with it, and if i get in a pickle I can usually offer to pay(Voting every day is short, easy, and gives a good healthy coin purse) – And if I’m not an *******, I might get ignored next time too instead of banditted, and get a good chuckle out of watching someone else get gassed. That’s my general bandit experience.

Are the GM’s too scared to blacklist people who do one liners? Or are they not allowed to do this? I don’t see much of an issue with the rules as they are, but rather the fact that they’re literally not held as standards by the ones who are meant to enforce them.

Whether I was the bandit or the one being bandited, I generally had a lot of fun. It created good roleplay for me and my groups, giving us a common minor antagonist that could be fun to go up against. Unfortunately, I have found that instead of good quality emotes of being attacked or stabbed, it’s simple one line emotes along with a d20 after. 

Whether I’m dying or just being robbed, I feel that its really just the quality of the roleplay that needs to be changed a bit. Because banditing is a big part of road and travel RP and I find that the server is a lot more interesting because of it. When it is done right, of course.

Honestly, banditry should be allowed as long as there’s more detailed rp, a chance for both characters to grow, and if people take into consideration what the two characters are. One thing that’s kind of annoying is if you have, let’s say, a captain of a guard versus someone scrawny trying to steal money from them. Even though realistically, the guard should be able to easily overpower the bandit, rolls could favor the scrawny man and have the captain chopped up with a few sword swings. I don’t really know how to fix this situation, maybe add a +(number) to a roll certified by a gm and make certain types of rolls, like /roll fight or /roll magic or /roll escape, and based on the character’s past/accomplishments, his rolls could be helped or hindered. 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:29 AM, _TheBananaLord_ said:

In my view, banditry should more resemble that of a similar nature irl. Bandits back in ye olde times risked their lives to rob folks, but here, if they lose, they don’t die, they respawn. As such, there is no incentive to not commit banditry. 

Similarly, there is few faster ways to make good money on the server. I say this as an in game merchant, who prides himself on serving his community. Yes, I make money, but often only a few minas a day unless someone buys out my stock. Of course, voting supplements this to a more livable, and honestly, excessive level. I imagine that voting is the money my character would make from all the other citizens that are not players. But bandits don’t make a few minas everyday. If they get lucky someone is carrying a bunch of minas, and if not, they can sell whatever from the inventory. 

And, again, I echo those in other posts who say that banditry rp is very lackluster. There can be good rp there, but the bandit also needs to be scared of something. Just as the victim is scared of violence or the theft of their goods, the bandits have to have a risk attached to the encounter as well. Perma-death would work, except players would just draft up similar characters with even less effort/character development, which might make the situation worse. Somehow, I believe, we must incentivize a different form of rp, something that is more constructive, or we should otherwise lessen banditry in general.

Another thought I had, is that banditry is one of the most consistent forms of rp. If you’re a bandit, you get to force anyone wandering the roads to rp with you. Whereas a general passerby has no real reason to rp with someone they come across while travelling. Often times I ask people if they need directions or something while I’m travelling just to squeeze out any bit of roleplay. But a bandit always has an excuse to stop someone on the street. And as roleplay has been getting harder and harder to find, it’s no wonder people are more attracted to this, even with it being lesser in quality. Especially as gangs and groups of bandits form. Those of us that are outside of the more political side of the server have fewer ways to group up.

I pose no strong solution here, but I know that as a community we can find an answer. I hope I have inspired some thoughts in you, even if I am a relatively new player. I have enjoyed my time thus far on the server, and I look forward to many more moons with you all.

Actually, the permakilling idea is not a very good idea in my opinion. It would not be fair for an entire community, even though some Bandits only use their bandits as PVP personas, I have been using my bandit to actually roleplay. If you are going to permakill me the moment a twenty man metasquad comes up, it’s not a very efficient form of handling justice at all. The victim is scared of injury, blah blah and whatever, but you assume that the bandit will always be in a stronger position, which is not correct. I had many encounters, where a friend of mine lost his toes, while I was stabbed on the liver by one guy. I was very much in danger and I had factors to be scared of. That is why I focus on disarming my opponent when I used to bandit. And, believe me the bandit is more in danger than the person being robbed simply because the people who usually get robbed wish to push for some sort of ‘stalling’ period to get a “”””patrol””” near where the banditry is being done. They simply brandish their weapon. I usually spend 20 minutes per guy, trying to get them to drop their minas, while I am also panicking about the next metasquad that might be coming at me. We are actually really scared, and not gods of the road.

I actually just wrote a book on this. I think /invsearch shouldn’t be allowed for banditry because there’s no way a bandit would know that I had concealed blades or some marbles tucked away in a pocket. I keep trying to get bandits to RPly search me and not just say "[Bandit] searched him.” For example:

2019-08-27_16_42_54.png.0375a3e82e3dbce416a46736bd00762f.png

2019-08-27_16_43_54.png.b002b4ef2412b8208231465d4dcec0f5.png

2019-08-27_16_46_56.png.bf209392b1da16cc97adfc4a3cd09190.png

And then after one of the thieves held another thief (who was posing as an innocent blind man) at knifepoint...

2019-08-27_16_54_57.png.c3202ccbaa425759f95f515b8fe00931.png

My stubbornness eventually got them to RP with me for a while. A little into it, some random Oren soldiers came by, and we had some good RP – they accused Arbane of owing them 5k in gambling debt, which he was able to refute after a little while. When Arbane threw marbles behind him and managed to escape with the soldiers. they ignored the marbles and called for us to stop before immediately initiating PVP.

Despite this, I think bandit RP should not be banned, for it has quite a bit of potential. It helps shade the world as less than safe when strolling along the roads. Most people stay in their cities for a reason: the roads can be quite dangerous and hold unknown perils; however, I think that demanding /invsearch else PVP should be banned, and that bare-bones bandit RP that provides lackluster emotes such as the ones presented should be heavily frowned upon. In my opinion, Orc slaving RP is an excellent example of bandit RP: they provide colorful roleplay and don’t have a “mina or die” mentality. Wandering around Sutica alone or unarmed has its consequences, but said consequences aren’t purely annoying – RP should be fun.

Edit: convinced → accused

Edited by MaxtonTheGreat