[✓] [Event Race Lore] Shuul

7 minutes ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Bronze is a copper alloy, and both of these materials corrode underwater. Just an fyi

Also, I like the lore piece, but... how would roleplay be done? Like sure, the ones using sputes could rp on the coastal shore just fine, but this is an entirely aquatic race. Are you going to build their cities underwater? If so, how will outsiders get to rp with them? Are you hoping the Dev team gives the Shuul race aquatic buffs and unlimited water breathing?

The only way I can see this CA being viable is if either

A) It picks up a TON of activity and is widely popular, thus making underwater roleplay active enough so that rp can occur in the first place, along with the fact that the above character buff are also given, or 

B) The shuuls become semi-aquatic and begin to colonize the shore after some sort of thing wipes out their underwater habitat, and the lore is reworked in order to make this doable.

I really do like the lore piece for what it is, but I don’t see it working out too well if implemented, unless some changes are made to where there is more land rp going on than underwater rp. Fish people are neat, and I love amphibious races in fantasy games, like Zoras or Argonians, but I really just don’t see how they could work on lotc.

I remember hearing bronze was better at retaining its condition underwater than iron but I can change that little blurb some time down the line.

I don’t have any plans or intent of building large scale Shuul cities underwater, unless the playerbase for them grew to a size that would warrant it, which I don’t frankly expect all that much. The most that would constitute a Shuul settlement on server would be a reef, either made of coral and/or stone, located a just off the shore of a pre-existing coastal community, either a charter or a nation, whichever is willing to host them oocly. This reef would hopefully be able to have portions both above and below sea-level, with an exposed surface for non-Shuul to visit and do business on, while the fishmen themselves can live and commune below the surface away from the prying eyes and ears of land races.

Shuul to Shuul rp would largely remain underwater if they wished to keep things private, but the bulk of their rp I intend to be focused on them heading up to land and interacting with their surface dwelling neighbors, whether it be for trade, negotiations, or plunder. Despite being an aquatic species, I’d still prefer to have most of their rp done on land with surface dwelling races, and I certainly do not want the Shuul to have their main center of activity out in the open sea. The surface world, and the races that inhabit it, are entirely alien to them, and they’d certainly be more interested in the lives and mannerisms of these air-breathers than one another.

Also I am hoping that they at least get a buff to have water breathing in game, and maybe something to affect swim speed mechanically, though I’d understand if that’s asking for too much.

Hopefully will bring more life to the ocean, definitely a +1 

1 hour ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Edit:

Another thing. Why does romance have to be a possibility for everything? It just gives us weird... fish fetish ftb scenes. Make it something more interesting. What if they’re asexuals and can lay a fertilized egg all on their own when they’re ready for childbirth, and a roll is made to determine whether or not the egg’s occupant survives? A whole new avenue of rp can be made with such an addition. 

Shuuls could be seen as a suitable slave race, not for labor, but as a source of food, since ever shuul can lay eggs.

A feral species of shuul could be added who do not control when they lay their self-fertilized eggs, which create a population explosion of these ferals, and the civilized shuul could be described as fighting them back rather often. Maybe hunting the excess ferals is a sport, maybe cannibalizing their corpses becomes common.

You could still have sexual characteristics that differentiate between genders of a shuul, and hell, maybe you still keep lifemates as a thing, not for romance, but for a different cultural excuse.

Not everyone may agree with this part of the feedback, but it’s something to think about.

Whoops didn’t see this when I was responding lmao.

I didn’t really write on how they reproduce but Shuul reproduce in the same manner most fish do, which is externally laying and then fertilizing their eggs. Aside from dewclaws on males, there’s really no physical distinction between a male or a female. I guess you could do some ftb with it, but it’d be just like that one weird episode of The Magic School Bus.

The act of laying plenty of eggs with few surviving is a common occurrence among fish, and Shuul do readily consume both infertile eggs and perished young, if the others don’t get them first. Cannibalism is far from taboo in their society.

I was sort of iffy myself on including something like love or lifelong partnership with them, and though I still do want to keep two Shuul remaining together for an extended period as a rare and auspicious occurrence, I might change it into something more cultural or spiritual, rather than emotional.

Edited by Hastur

Why no ranged projectiles again? I get bows, but slingshot like weapons (similar to a harpoon gun that uses a system rather than pneumatics) should definitely be plausible when it comes to their warfare, If you wanna keep it primitive you can just say they have slingshots that are modified to be able to shoot a piercing projectile.

Food for thought I guess.

9 hours ago, SourDough said:

Why no ranged projectiles again? I get bows, but slingshot like weapons (similar to a harpoon gun that uses a system rather than pneumatics) should definitely be plausible when it comes to their warfare, If you wanna keep it primitive you can just say they have slingshots that are modified to be able to shoot a piercing projectile.

Food for thought I guess.

I just figured they wouldn’t have developed any form of advanced ranged combat since projectiles underwater are usually affected too much by drag to be useful over long distances, and something like a harpoon gun seems like it could be a bit too advanced for the setting, though that’s just me I guess.

Though I had the idea that once they come to the surface and see how bows, crossbows, and other ranged weapons work mechanically, that they would take those ideas and try to engineer and develop a device which allows them to better use projectiles underwater. Could lead to some nice little innovation rp, since they’d certainly want to adapt this technology to work underwater.

Any guy who likes fish gets a +1 from me baby

On 8/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, TheAlphaMoist said:

Also, I like the lore piece, but... how would roleplay be done? Like sure, the ones using sputes could rp on the coastal shore just fine, but this is an entirely aquatic race. Are you going to build their cities underwater? If so, how will outsiders get to rp with them? Are you hoping the Dev team gives the Shuul race aquatic buffs and unlimited water breathing?

The only way I can see this CA being viable is if either

A) It picks up a TON of activity and is widely popular, thus making underwater roleplay active enough so that rp can occur in the first place, along with the fact that the above character buff are also given, or 

B) The shuuls become semi-aquatic and begin to colonize the shore after some sort of thing wipes out their underwater habitat, and the lore is reworked in order to make this doable.

I really do like the lore piece for what it is, but I don’t see it working out too well if implemented, unless some changes are made to where there is more land rp going on than underwater rp. Fish people are neat, and I love amphibious races in fantasy games, like Zoras or Argonians, but I really just don’t see how they could work on lotc.

Edit:

Another thing. Why does romance have to be a possibility for everything? It just gives us weird... fish fetish ftb scenes. Make it something more interesting. What if they’re asexuals and can lay a fertilized egg all on their own when they’re ready for childbirth, and a roll is made to determine whether or not the egg’s occupant survives? A whole new avenue of rp can be made with such an addition. 

Shuuls could be seen as a suitable slave race, not for labor, but as a source of food, since ever shuul can lay eggs.

A feral species of shuul could be added who do not control when they lay their self-fertilized eggs, which create a population explosion of these ferals, and the civilized shuul could be described as fighting them back rather often. Maybe hunting the excess ferals is a sport, maybe cannibalizing their corpses becomes common.

I absolutely love this lorepiece and find myself looking forward to if the LT decide to accept it or not. I’m hoping they do, because underwater RP is something I hadn’t even considered before this and it sounds absolutely awesome.

Flipping over to my response to Kiaus though....

There’s already a buff to some creatures/races that allows them to breathe underwater. Wights, for example, have an innate ability (upon setting the creature on their character card) to not have the need to eat and don’t lose the little bubbles when they’re underwater. I imagine something similar could be created for these lads, since it’s just a solid copy-paste and minor edit so they can eat instead.

The, uh... breeding things. Wholeheartedly agree, since it’d make sense for the creature to instead lay eggs. Maybe have a 1/100 roll like elves – though, rather than having it be 95+ or whatever, it’d instead be 75+ for a fertilized egg. I like the concept of ferals being borne and causing a mess for the other Shuul, since it’d give an innate conflict for them to deal with; assuming it was RP’d properly, a lot of different solutions could be made. Hell, they could probably try to employ these ferals as mutts to help with on-shore raiding. Places like Sutica, which are ripe hotspots for water-centric RP, could become an area they’re at odds with. Ship attacks and the like would be interesting too, I’d love to see some water-creatures come up from the depths and strike at a fishing vessel.

Flipping over to the bit you mentioned with activity, I’m confident the lore could be modified so that Shuul can build up a natural trait to survive in fresh water. Having a small settlement located /in/ a river would be pretty neat to see, especially if they create caves that lead into the surrounding riverbeds for minor housing and temples. This could also lead to interaction with civilizations further inside the continent, whilst also limiting the population because a deep river could only support so many large, sentient creatures.

At the end of the day though, with a few minor tweaks (because it’s safe to say, the LT will definitely want some number of edits for whatever reasons – something we’ve probably missed) this could be an interesting creature with a lot of depth and plenty of fun interactions for the different playerbases.

I’m not sure if it was noted in the lore itself, but are these creatures capable of magic? I’d assume not, but I’m asking since my small brain really doesn’t want to ctrl-f it right now. Having magic may be a negative thing for them since the physical capabilities of these creatures is such an important factor for their daily lives both on land and in the water.

Big +1 anyway, hell yeah

The lore is well written, and the idea seems very well thought out and original. I very much enjoy this concept, and if they end up being accepted I would love to try playing one! I do believe early on when the CA is developing, a central base in the ocean would be pretty cool. I like the restrictions that they have, and they aren’t OP in any crazy way. Maybe if this species starts to walk around on land more, they can develop underwater sectors of currently existing Nations as well due to partnerships. I think this CA can help add more diversity if role-played as intended.

Good luck bud, I think this lore piece is looking great. I would definitely want to try one of these out based on how well written the lore is. +1

- Fruu

wow what an incredible fish species i love the windwaker +1 what a great species wow nice so cool

a very unique species it has much lore to it. great guy hastur is a great man +1 +!