My Philosophy to Combat Roleplay; The Third Narrative

JustMeMorgan

Combat Roleplay; The Game of Loss, the Narrative above oneself

(Number 2, Electric Boogaloo)

Image result for Fantasy duel art

The Narrative of Individuals; The story of the singular

Though LotC is full of overarching narratives such as the recent Voidal Tears or the past like the Vaeyl Order it is commonly forgotten that the most common narrative is that of the individual, every single player on LotC in the most part, has some sort of direction for their character, be it a robber or robed one, master of trade or tragedy there is a goal somewhere to be found. These goals are important for us all, important to the individual and important to the larger narratives, for if there were no individual narratives, then there are no reasons for partaking in these overarching stories. We craft our own stories, and our own stories craft the world.

The Clash of Narratives; The Third Narrative

Personal gains always clash, be it bandit, mage or medic there will always be a time where one’s narrative shall collide with another, the conclusion? A new narrative, a narrative bonding the two individuals into one, and the usual events in this narrative? Combat. Be it individuals or group, a time will come where everyone (or at least those here to roleplay) will have their blades or spells collide against an opponent. This Combat Roleplay is what we’re going to discuss, its reasons, its reality and how it should be approached.

A Mindset; The First Ideal

Combat should always be approached in this third narrative. This is the mindset that there is a greater story to your own. This will detach you from your own story and alleviate you from ideals that you must win, as you shouldn’t have to. Creation of a story is what matters, surviving is just one of the many conclusions. I will reference a couple of stories in this, my first:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/184933-double-pk-the-hammerhead-duel-1728/ with cites to @Kanadensare and his partner for the excellent roleplay within it.

I’ve referenced this story for the purpose that it shows that although without realising it, both parties have understood that there is this narrative above their own and for that reason some excellent roleplay (Though with a sad tale to tell) came out of it. Narratives are made everywhere in LotC, you don’t usually have to permakill your character for it though.

This Ideal, simply should be realised within the individuals, you should enter combat knowing that the outcome although may benefit each other, or neither at all, it is a story that will come out of it, and that is what matters.

The Approach; A Second Ideal

Image result for Duel about to start fantasy art

When approaching combat, a person who has not yet realised the third narrative will always try to win, power gaming or not they will take the most effective and efficient routes, even if they are not reasonable for their character. It would be like a man who is terrified of fire wielding a flaming sword to fight an ice troll, just because they know an ice troll, just because it is the most efficient. Stepping into a character’s shoes is harder than it seems, but with practice and understanding you will soon be able to do it as many have done so to present.

When approaching combat, one should always understand and debate, do not be afraid to debate moves and attacks with your partner, yet do not ever be toxic or rude to your partner. You are both in the narrative together, and the two options are both as ruining as the other. When it comes to being accused you have two choices: you can either explain your emote further and provide any evidence if needed, or you can re-emote in agreement that you made a mistake. It is this politeness and understanding that makes combat smoother and a more comfortable place.

Loss; A Third Ideal

MCU_TXO5zd3o-qEqSH7tO6A96tM_eQCut7KjUgJm1NOVaLicsh2WowA1FOV0nNDSpYCmbx9VsX8LsryNzbXEO-5FRkRV09cLKeT-rebAOfgDVzM2vBPIqiplM9xzNdS4jJmS98UK

Every combat comes to the moment, life or death, the final fight. And if you have been the unlucky one to fall the blade, spell or tendril this day. One should come about it in an understanding way. Carrying special items or mina on you can always get you glum, realise your inventory is temporary, items can be reforged, new stories established. Share your story to your victor about that item if they are willing, the sword of your forefathers should be relished after all. Once losing it you then have two choices, you beghin the new third narrative of trying to reclaim it, or your own individual narrative of forging it anew, but better and fresher for your sons and their sons to see.

Loss can come easily, you may not be able to win against an orc as a measly mage unable to cast. Do not be afraid to lose. It is only temporary and you’ll be back on your feet soon enough, reputation regained, inventory restored. Some bandits are kind you know, they take 1-2 items and some mina and let you SS away, do not be afraid of the bandits on the road, they may just spare you somewhat. To those who lose their 50 pixels, I tell you this, why carry so much good stuff on the road in the first place? 

Conclusion; A Last Ideal

NvW-Z3yG8kw4_CfDrJF_LQJdzi03i9U0N23Su50tHYl4pRcYu71NeQVfRbdNfUpARx0J4JMjlzkrr_y2BBwdIvc6AJWqdvp9qwLHTj7v2ayNPOlmlO_lXZ5S3wIk01hp69YNUEa_

Every narrative comes to an end, be it the end of the combat or a permanent death. Both are primary options. To overcome this idea of losing I commonly imagine it as a different person, this detaches and resentment I have from the person and allows me to continue on without hate, do not cling to toxicity as it will wreck and destroy you, continue your narrative anew. 

Every narrative will also come to an end, death is sweet release that some may take up, permanently killing your character (for the most part) is your choice, so do not be pressured by other players to do so (unless you have committed suicide of course), you should see LotC as a means of telling a story, not power-grabbing, loot-hoarding or treasure-sniping, so many people have come before you, so many stories have been seen before you and so many will come after you, do not be afraid to let your story go when you believe the time is right.

Confession; My Mistakes in the past

riIjy-Pgfu8M3cwN3dYhZtY2nkayzqmAd0xqjviXojKRajTsveLTbi3vEv63zcGawKSe0ahZ47UH5-y9hhjCb3HWeyB1Yhc5sWk_W_n7YacB3P-glfCwdbh_KaWieHN72Uh7U1y2

In LotC when I was a fresh minded player, I commonly fell to fail these ideals. After thinking of these ideals, I tried to type them into bit and byte in hopes to solve combat roleplay of which many approach it in a toxic way of solving issues but it is not, it is a story that we should be telling, how once spell or steel clashed and battled commenced, and how someone, or no-one came out on top. I sometimes re-tell my victories and failures, not to brag or boast but because I want people to understand that LotC will give you so many ups and downs, you may lose items but you will gain many more, do not be afraid to explore.

I have tried to push when I should of let go, do not be afraid to let go, as it will lead you somewhere else, it will lead someone else somewhere else, and it will further all the stories.

What I will implore those after me to do, is love combat roleplay, it is where adrenaline pumps and you feel on your toes, but do not lose grasp that you are trying to tell a story with your opponent, you shouldn’t be trying to win, it is merely something that could come out of it.

The Reason of this Post

Talking to other players about combat roleplay invoked me to do this, I find that in recent times LotC is arguing about rules and how they should be governed and in all this chaos some people brought up about how other people try their hardest to succeed, and I wondered and realised I have in the past did the same. I have tried to materialise how I and a few others that I know of have tried to steer ourselves away from this ideal, thus I brought the creation of the idea of the third narrative, this mindset that there is a story above my own. This realisation gave me the ability to detach death away as a punishment or failure, but more of a means of trying to extend my own, or another person’s roleplay.

(p.s. I wrote this at 1am)

Edited by LorelessPuddleMancer

Wonderful post Loreless, I’ve always held people who lose honourably in such high regard. Some of the funnest battles I’ve ever seen were when both players gave up the reigns of their characters and accepted the consequences of defeat—when both players offer to lose it becomes an almost magical and effortless roleplay where having a good time transcends any petty squabble. Despite the bloodshed, disease, and terror of our characters we writers behind the screen can have a jolly great time.

Plus it was always pretty hilarious to witness two people setting out to lose a combat encounter, if you lose… do you win? ?

Final part that I enjoy the most is—conflict shouldn’t always end in death and I agree. Let’s show some kindness to the folks behind the screen and respect the narrative—simple murder does not grow the story!