Moderation Update Log August 2019

Moderation Update Log August 2019

LfV8F5rlXQ7HGVVvCSHvRYMgKA7p_EPX6enO46c5

<Introduction>

Good morning friends. As we enter into autumn,the moderation team has a lot going on with rewrites and changes to our procedures. This past month we have lots of new changes to announce including changes to ban protocol, appeals and the overall direction of the team. 

<New Changes>

So let's begin with charters; at the beginning of the month, we lowered the percentages needed for charters and nations to better reflect the playerbase. As well as the release of the new charter plugin which automates the beginning of the charter process, an update to charter procedure. Information on this update can be found here.

Nation leaders hold a significant amount of pull over their playerbases. With this in mind, their roles are being expanded beyond acting as one of the links between staff and players. They have been granted limited forum permissions to aid in the leadership of their nations; some basic permissions to lock, pin and such for their own forum subsections are available to support their autonomy.

Moderation will be recruiting this month for individuals who have vested interest in helping with conflict management. There are clarifications and updates in the works to assist players and staff with the handling of day to day conflict and greater large scale warfare as well. We are looking for individuals who have drive and focus, as well as interest in focusing on conflict management and affairs.

Conflicts On the topic of conflict rules, there has been some teething issues, both small and large, which need to be addressed. I do want to apologize for the mess of the recent warclaim, a lack of communication being the main reason such an event didn't go to plan.With lessons learned from these events over the next month, moderation and the admins shall work hand in hand to produce not only to better the current system but guides to help players and the staff through the conflicts.

Warclaims: The Techs are doing maintenance on the server we use for warclaims. This will last at least a month, maybe longer. What does this mean? We will not have access to the server at all during this period. So warclaims will have to happen on the main server at a reduced size, or deferred until the war server is back online. There will be no siege weapons should there be a warclaim on the main server as this plugin is only on the war server.

Bans: this is a hot topic among the community, something I have personally seen discussed. How do bans function, and are people learning from them? The simple answer is short-term bans do little to correct bad behaviors, and the system we were using no longer works with the direction the server is going. With this in mind, an overhaul has been done. Coming within the next two weeks, the update to infraction processing will be implemented; we will have a discussion with the player, followed by a ban, with increasing lengths for repeat infractions. For more serious offenses, banning will be the first option. Indefinite bans are gone, community guidelines bans are completely removed.
KyR5g-0EOMHevjNtXBj9wrMCyjqCxEW4igwZikBZ

Since the beginning of the staff reform, there has been a plan to move the handling of ban appeals to the community team. It has been a slow process while all the details have been worked out. Over the next month the handover of the appeals of bans will be happening. 

Moderation policy updates are still being worked upon. As per the questions asked last month, these will be public eventually once complete as you can see from above some other issues are being tackled alongside these

Finally the LotC discord, shall be getting an overhaul this coming month, to make it more useable and useful for all. 

<Current Team Roster >

A7rALK8dnF1tyFxr9MnSPRuGdgBuqdZ5DlbphHWW

<Monthly Statistics>

Moderation Staff received a total of 2038 modreqs in July.

Congratulations and thank you to: Silverstatik, Hunwald and Qizu for taking the most tickets in that respective order! It was incredible to see these individuals really step up and assist the community!. 

rd8V7tZ-Gu9rPfaFhUdlZa7t03ZhJZxDTWAVmW91

0lkKiXUH6ecw-tdtAKe4ekhNz3SgkGtNXEZ-nxhb

< Roster changes >

+ToxicApple1 added to moderation

+Qizu added to moderation 

+BigBoiCanadian added to moderation 

+Xalid added to moderation 

+Silverstatik promoted to manager 

-TangoIsPointless removed from moderation 

<Special Thanks

501warhead, for his hard work on the charters plugin 

Finally I want to say farewell and thank you to Fireheart. It has been a great pleasure having you not only be a friend but a mentor as well. You did so much for not only myself but the moderation team as a whole as well as this community. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

I do also believe thr departure of mods that was missed on your last update still has not been resolved. Shameful 

I’m interested in hearing whats coming from our community admin other than art contests that only about 10 people can take part in.

Main problem here is the lack of measure of the ban system. I agree with the philosophy, but my biggest fear here is bias. A mod could raise the severity of a rule break which could be the difference from a week ban to a month ban. As @ninjaclimb1 said, we need examples for each severity to prevent this in the future.

Literally do not believe a word of what you say – or your capability to change things. Still blacklisted (banned), still been lied to, and still been misled without a proper response / without seeing cooperation from staff. All for breaking a ‘rule’ that wasn’t even documented or heard of being enforced before (Playing with Dewper); just for staff to then a month later use a vague out-of-context discussion between me and another banned player as ‘evidence’ for stealing my entire region.

Multiple **** ideas within this post that aren’t even worth addressing, as you should already realise that before posting. It’s funny, as well, as you’ve already said that you have to run your posts through @Telanir before posting them, so that means that he hasn’t even spotted how many stupid ideas there are here – or just doesn’t care, which is more likely. Here; I’ll be generous and give you a hint. Can’t wait to see incompetent, under-qualified, and otherwise useless C-Team members deal with bans that they have no knowledge about entirely. Why have one team process bans, and another appeals? This alone is evidence that you’re utterly clueless.

Useless, disappointing, and full of ****.

I think the #1 priority of the GM team should be ensuring that mods are actually on and responding to reqs considering for the past 3 weeks it seemed that every thing that required a req was not answered during prime time.

step down and make hunwald the moderation admin

None of these ideas you have will actually work if no one in upper management is active. While inactivity is understandable when most of you guys have RL responsibilities, you probably shouldn’t hog a position you don’t have the time to fulfill. You DEFINITELY shouldn’t make drastic changes to the server rules and pass the job of enforcing them off to the GMs. 

not surprised, feels like it’s only hunwald answering my modreqs 70% of the time. 

community team have players who join because theyre nice, welcoming and can talk to new players. They are NOT there to handle bans, as that they would not have handed the aforementioned bans themselves. As well as the fact that bans often end in controversy and complex reasonings, which should involve the GAME moderators. 

why let a team that does not handle out bans handle appeals, its so much easier to get on CT then it is to get in the Moderation team and handing an ability as impactful as ban appeals to Walmart Greeters is not a smart idea

1 hour ago, Trinn said:

community team have players who join because theyre nice, welcoming and can talk to new players. They are NOT there to handle bans, as that they would not have handed the aforementioned bans themselves. As well as the fact that bans often end in controversy and complex reasonings, which should involve the GAME moderators. 

This.

The idea is just asinine. If the GMs no longer handle lockpicking, evictions, raids, charters, and now ban appeals, what are they supposed to do, exactly? Smacks of Punisher attempting to cast off her team’s responsibilities.