[✗] [Invention-Lore] Steam Power

Cyprian1034

[Invention Lore] Steam Power

Origin/Backstory (Optional)

N/A

Description

The main component of this device shall be called the Converter to save confusion. The Converter is a cylinder comprised of steel and rivets bolted down together making an airtight seal. Towards the bottom of the Converter is an intake port where steam will enter. Inside the cylinder is a smaller flat circle seal that moves up and down within the device. So, while the steam fills in creating pressure within the lower parts of the cylinder it will force the seal to push upwards causing the force to be applied on a cylinder rod at the top. Thus moving the energy from the steam to be converted into mechanical energy that will be applied to the Actuator. Once the seal reaches the top, all the steam will blow out of the top exhaust port and allow the seal to drop down again. Now the Actuator can have a few variations in what it can do depending on the layout of the parts. If the configuration is laid out with the intentions of creating a spinning object you would require a pulley-like system bolted to the main wheel that will be taking all the mechanical energy with a joint at the end to allow perpetual motion to follow along with the spinning wheel. Now, if the main wheel was linked to several larger wheels the energy could be distributed to the other wheels to make the same motion, but keep in mind that the more wheels added to the system, it will cause the energy to become less prominent. Simply increasing the size of the Converter or linking multiple Converters will allow an increase of spinning wheels. Though, if the objective requires something else besides a spinning wheel a simpler configuration can be made. Consider a direct pushing system almost like a giant hammer for example. The energy from the Converter will push up on a thick Steel hammer-like head mounted on an axle, thus having one side go up and the other side will go down with large amounts of force. Now for the most important part of this entire system, the boiler. This is a thick 3-inch steel cylinder container that will be constantly heated by coal or any other heat source to produce the steam. The heat is made, it heats the container, the steam then flows from the container to the Converter and the energy is then produced.

Capabilities

This allows mechanical energy to be created from steam itself. An example of this would be a steamboat, you could create a spinning paddle-wheel powered off of this system. Why would a steamboat be important when you have regular boats? Well besides the fact that it can be moving without current or wind, you can now make heavier and more armored boats off of this. Now, the possibilities are quite broad since it’s a machine that creates mechanical energy and allows a simple mechanism to be powered by it. (Pulleys, axles and wheels, etc)

Red Lines/Restrictions

In order to activate the system it will require three emotes, done by a trained mechanic. If it’s not attempted by a trained mechanic a 1d20 roll will be required, anything above fifteen is safe anything below will cause the machine to break down and blow hot steam and metal into the near-by area.

Someone can become a trained mechanic by learning from other trained mechanics or the engineers themselves.

In order to create the system they must first go through either the steps of figuring out how to make such a system or learn it from the inventor or an engineer who knows how to make it. (Learning the steps to create it is dangerous, they will be exposed to explosions of hot steam and metal. Best learn it from someone, as trying on your own most likely will be unsuccessful and possibly lethal.)

You can’t use magic to power it! If you use fire magic to constantly heat it, it could either cause the machine to break instantly by adding too much heat or break it overtime by unregulated heat!

Purpose (OOC)

This allows a new form of energy to be created for all of LOTC. Such energy can be explored endlessly and allow for new inventions and creations to be made for the LOTC community. If we’ve advanced this far with magic and alchemy, a simple mechanical system should’ve been made ages ago! The tools and materials are there, but someone just has to put it together.

Citation Spoiler

I used steam and my knowledge as an aspiring engineer to make up a rough idea of how energy could be created out of steam. (No Citation)

This could really add to the high fantasy aspect of the server and give the common folk a new thing to learn to parallel magic. I'll give my support so +1 to this from me!

Edited by AtrexPieren

17 minutes ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

There are already steam boats and a few other uses for steam engines that are accepted

this

2 hours ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

There are already steam boats and a few other uses for steam engines that are accepted

I was told they were shelved

Even if they were shelved I really dislike the idea of steam-powered vehicles, in my opinion way too advanced

13 hours ago, AtrexPieren said:

This could really add to the high fantasy aspect of the server and give the common folk a new thing to learn to parallel magic. I'll give my support so +1 to this from me!

I don't think you understand what high fantasy means... 

Anyway, to OP's suggestion that, because of magical innovations, it makes sense that we would have gotten this already, I would suggest that magic means scientists studying these things would be considered unnecessary by many. Usually, in high fantasy, the prevalence of magic makes tech advances unnecessary. 

Steam power isn’t really that advanced, it's simply a conversion of energy. You’re using force applied in one direction and converting it into mechanical energy. It’s the same thing if I were to link up a bunch of horses together and had them run in one direction. So, Instead of using an animal or humanoid to power something, I’m using pressure. Technically you could use water itself to accomplish this task, but perpetual flow only exists on paper. So, steam is the easiest obtainable gas to create pressure to complete simple tasks. Keyword is “Simple” It’s built with the intent of small pully systems like a bridge or a spinning boat paddle. 

2 hours ago, Burnsider said:

I don't think you understand what high fantasy means... 

Anyway, to OP's suggestion that, because of magical innovations, it makes sense that we would have gotten this already, I would suggest that magic means scientists studying these things would be considered unnecessary by many. Usually, in high fantasy, the prevalence of magic makes tech advances unnecessary. 

The definition of high fantasy as found online "High fantasy is set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the "real" or "primary" world.[2] This secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary or real world, or a rational and familiar fictional world with the inclusion of magical elements.[".

To add to that high fantasy commonly tells the story from the perspective of one person the hero or heros who exist to fight against the forces of evil.

Edited by AtrexPieren

I should write lore on sterling engines

21 hours ago, Legendary Legend said:

Ngl, I thought this was a medieval fantasy server...

**** yourself, we’ve been in a technological deadlock for 8 years, and in some areas we’ve actually regressed. the world has existed for over 400 years; it’d be far and away more interesting to introduce new technologies over time than to keep everything the same forever

59 minutes ago, ryno2 said:

**** yourself, we’ve been in a technological deadlock for 8 years, and in some areas we’ve actually regressed. the world has existed for over 400 years; it’d be far and away more interesting to introduce new technologies over time than to keep everything the same forever

Real mature. Are you 12?

Technology over time doesn't progress per normal in many fantasy settings. May I remind you that Middle-Earth's Third Age alone lasted over 3,000 years and technology regressed over time. Tech barely advanced in the Second Age, which lasted over 3,400 years.

I understand it’s not a huge step forward, but for reference, the musket was invented before the steam engine, so there’s more of an argument to implement it than there is to implement the steam engine, based off of how much of a step forward it’s not.

When I come to lotc, I come here for medieval fantasy roleplay. If we allow this, then we allow every tiny advancement forward until the point this is no longer medieval fantasy. If most of us wanted to play on a steam-punk server, we’d find or make a steam punk roleplay server. If that’s your thing, nothing against you. However, most of the community enjoys medieval fantasy roleplay, and doesn’t want to see the server change from that.

Your idea isn’t bad, I just don’t think that this is the place for it.

Hello @Cyprian1034

Post is here to confirm that you have gathered all the feedback necessary for your lore and wish to proceed with the reviewing process.