LOTC's Copyright Rules in a Nutshell

Lsuvsfar

Spoiler

But seriously, if you haven’t read them:

SEoMwen.png

RqoYU4V.png

I don’t know, I’m not a lawyer but they seem dumb, and legally questionable. I’m not sure about the forum posts and other things, but something tells me claiming copyright on something made in a game owned by Mojang/Microsoft/whoever isn’t feasible.

honestly the user would most likely win this in a court.

lotc doesn’t own anything you build or create on the server and neither does the person who builds it

standard copyright boilerplate

if you google the right sentences u can find the other minecraft server they ripped it from.

lotcs copyright law in a nutshell 

so if i get a tent build from google and place it on lotc it becomes property of lotc and lotc can claim copyright for that tent build and give out strikes on youtube for stealing intellectual property of lord of the craft ? ?

and if there’s a skilled builder, staff can claim the build as their doing?

lotc can try and use its roughly $5000/year budget to try and sue me for the rights to my characters, at which point I will rename them.

Just looks like they’re telling people that if you create something intended to be used for the server like lore, plugins, art, etc then you can’t take it back and say that thing can no longer be utilized for LOTC. For example if you have a character that’s been around for a long time and has become part of the server history, you can’t suddenly remove your character from existence of the world.

1 hour ago, Vaynth said:

Just looks like they’re telling people that if you create something intended to be used for the server like lore, plugins, art, etc then you can’t take it back and say that thing can no longer be utilized for LOTC. For example if you have a character that’s been around for a long time and has become part of the server history, you can’t suddenly remove your character from existence of the world.

It falls under fair use when they use it for LoTC so no, they can’t take it back anyway. This is because if you create an artwork for something like minecraft it falls under fair use so Mojang can’t claim it as theirs but you can’t claim it entirely as your own work either.

Edit: That makes it a public domain.

Edit: Ie, if I draw an artwork of Arthas from WoW it falls under the public domain under fair use. The only exception is when I begin to sell these artworks for money in which case Blizzard/Activision can go after me. In LoTC’s case, LoTC wouldn’t be able to sue if the person isn’t actively profiting off of their work. Additionally, it falls back under fair use if the content has been modified. So if someone were to take an artwork of Arthas and mash it with Jon Snow and then defile it into some meme (which is exactly what they did in Dungeons II, yes they got sued and won) then it falls under fair use.

They’re trying to play it both ways, which wouldn’t hold up in court. Going ‘We take full responsibility and ownership of everything you make...’ as well as ‘We cannot be held responsible for anything you upload...’ ****. Also, they cannot legally prove that you agreed to these terms if you don’t use the forums, and only play on the server. Also, Mojang’s Eula has a lot of the same general lines in it, and Mojang would definitely beat out Lord of the Craft in any possible court case. /Also/, Lord of the Craft is registered as a non-profit, so they can’t do ****-all with that ‘copyright’ they own in the first place. /Also Also/, that isn’t how copyright works in the first place, because that **** has to be registered. Fair Use is the exception, not the rule, as a sternly american law, and Tythus LTD is situated in the UK.

Basically I don’t think whoever updated the rules actually knows how copyright works whatsoever and just wrote that **** in to try and seem official. Eulas don’t hold up in court regardless (at least in terms of surpassing other laws; twitter can decide to write in that a violation of their terms results in the death penalty, and any killings they decide to hand out under that eula would be treated entirely as murder, regardless of the status of accepting that eula), so it’s a big nothing.

I imagine this was just done so flam (and the lore team as a whole) can say that all lore is his and he can do whatever he wants with it without the consent of the original writer.

Yo everyone

73388b24f4ecbf4fef0d42cbc8871de4.png

Your art isn’t your’s anymore

haha LotC is stupid

3 hours ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

I imagine this was just done so flam (and the lore team as a whole) can say that all lore is his and he can do whatever he wants with it without the consent of the original writer.

no it's literally the 2012 ToS of another Minecraft community with LOTC ctrl+fed in, that's why it mentions premium vaults and buying city houses

don't think theres some malice when they're just lazily copying a low quality tos boilerplate

y'all if i write lore and upload it here these bad ******* gonna try n rat me out for using it in other published works????

This is just straight up weird nonsense.. though I don’t think they will do anything with it