LOTC's Copyright Rules in a Nutshell

Lsuvsfar

On 9/30/2019 at 8:56 PM, drfate786 said:

It falls under fair use when they use it for LoTC so no, they can’t take it back anyway. This is because if you create an artwork for something like minecraft it falls under fair use so Mojang can’t claim it as theirs but you can’t claim it entirely as your own work either.

Edit: That makes it a public domain.

Edit: Ie, if I draw an artwork of Arthas from WoW it falls under the public domain under fair use. The only exception is when I begin to sell these artworks for money in which case Blizzard/Activision can go after me. In LoTC’s case, LoTC wouldn’t be able to sue if the person isn’t actively profiting off of their work. Additionally, it falls back under fair use if the content has been modified. So if someone were to take an artwork of Arthas and mash it with Jon Snow and then defile it into some meme (which is exactly what they did in Dungeons II, yes they got sued and won) then it falls under fair use.

Can we first just clear up that everyone here knows Tythus isn’t going to sue any of you kiddos. The rules seem to more-so be for server stability. But yeah fair use does sound about right.

7 hours ago, ScubaSteveee said:

holy **** is this retarded server going downhill lmao 

Pretty sure that was said 7 yrs ago.

But yet here we are.

TLDR. its an attempt to stop salty kids from doing stupid ****. “I made the cloud temple and you banned me so im going to try and claim copy right on my build” its basically a game of chicken and legally neither side is going to get anywhere for the amount of effort and money it would take. The best you could do is attempt a cease and desist but no one at LOTC is going to give a single ****. And good luck filing any sort of suit against Tythus personally or Tythus LTD as its an EU based buisness. So then your looking at going after the server host company. at which point i wish you the best of luck fighting them. I hope you like losing money 

10 hours ago, Patato said:

Pretty sure that was said 7 yrs ago.

But yet here we are.

TLDR. its an attempt to stop salty kids from doing stupid ****. “I made the cloud temple and you banned me so im going to try and claim copy right on my build” its basically a game of chicken and legally neither side is going to get anywhere for the amount of effort and money it would take. The best you could do is attempt a cease and desist but no one at LOTC is going to give a single ****. And good luck filing any sort of suit against Tythus personally or Tythus LTD as its an EU based buisness. So then your looking at going after the server host company. at which point i wish you the best of luck fighting them. I hope you like losing money 

either way I wouldn’t write for a server that thinks they can claim my ideas, and I don’t