[✗] [Magic Lore] – Fire Evocation

ZythusRequiem

Just now, ZythusRequiem said:

Don’t try and make everything Transfiguration locked. That’s just as bad.

I didnt say that. I said, Transfiguration and Sensory Illusion which are two separate magics can create light spells. Fire evocation in my opinion should be kept simple to heat, fire, smoke. 

You don't need to quote me or try to argue, this is my thoughts and opinion on the magic.

18 minutes ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

I didnt say that. I said, Transfiguration and Sensory Illusion which are two separate magics can create light spells. Fire evocation in my opinion should be kept simple to heat, fire, smoke. 

You don't need to quote me or try to argue, this is my thoughts and opinion on the magic.

If you or somebody else made magelight available to everyone I’d be ok with taking light out of this lore. But for now it’s just a small addition. Fire already produces light on it’s own. 

1 hour ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

1 hour ago, ZythusRequiem said:

If you or somebody else made magelight available to everyone I’d be ok with taking light out of this lore. But for now it’s just a small addition. Fire already produces light on it’s own. 

Mage light is available to EVERY MAGE. Household magic permits magelight with roughly the brightness of a torch. I don’t think transfig having access to magelight which can be brighter than that is really a big deal. It’s obsolete anyway since making it blindingly bright doesn’t do much damage and drains too much mana for such a little outcome.

9 hours ago, Zarexan said:

You aren’t the lorewriter and I personally brought this up with Zythus, due to the fact fire evocation is, like every other evocation, about conjuring and learning every aspect of the element, therefore, as FIRE EVOCATION is about conjuring every aspect, LIGHT is apart of those aspects, thus its VERY relevant. To make this lore as accurately as possible, DESPITE there being lore for conjuring light that’s a completely different magic as a whole, is to take a literal two seconds to add it, which Zythus says they did. I don’t see why it’s so horribly impossible for this to be done, or why you have such an issue with it, regardless this has blown up over me making a simple suggestion so let’s stop this here, yeah?

By that logic, I’d be able to heat things up with Electric Evocation. Heat is a BYPRODUCT of electricity just as light is a byproduct of fire.

2 hours ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

Transfiguration and sensory illusion can create light. I am in the hindsight that is with Walrus which is fire evocation shouldn't have light evocation. Don't try to make things an everything evocation.

Wrong. Sensory Illusion cannot create light. It can create the illusion of light. It’s fake. It can’t light a dark room unless the Illusionist themselves are, through some other means, able to see through the darkness. In fact, the illusionist doesn’t benefit from the casting of illusion light because it’s just not real. You can’t use illusion to make light. 

36 minutes ago, IAmTheWalrus said:

Mage light is available to EVERY MAGE. Household magic permits magelight with roughly the brightness of a torch. I don’t think transfig having access to magelight which can be brighter than that is really a big deal. It’s obsolete anyway since making it blindingly bright doesn’t do much damage and drains too much mana for such a little outcome.

By that logic, I’d be able to heat things up with Electric Evocation. Heat is a BYPRODUCT of electricity just as light is a byproduct of fire.

You CAN heat things up with electrical evocation. In fact, when you strike someone with a bolt they are burned. However the nature of electrical heat is that it doesn’t persist very long. When lightning strikes naturally the heat it dispenses is something like 5 times as hot as the surface of the sun and with numbers like that one would think that it would more or less vaporize everything in a fairly decent area around the strike and yet it does not. Also, who gives a **** anyway? Since when in history has anyone ever settled for doing a thing with only one means? The same end can be achieved through many different means with mundane things so why would magic be an exception to this rule? 

The main difference is some things are better at it than others. You wouldn’t use electrical evocation to heat your food as it takes a staggering amount of energy to do. You use fire. Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you want to. There’s no reason to exclude the possible because doing so doesn’t make sense. 

However there IS a different angle here. 

One could argue that you make all aspects of the element but not it’s byproducts. However that would rule out the ability to create smoke with Fire Evocation despite this being long established at this point. So you see, precedent holds a lot of value in court as well as in crafting lore. 

Fire creates light. Hot fire creates brighter light. I don’t see a problem with it having a torch spell. “Torch” is literally a stick on fire for the purpose of lighting up an area.

Arcanism has luminous properties, I am sure you could conjure some crystals to refract light with Earth Evo, Conjurations could be luminous. Something as simple as a light spell can have a multitude of different approaches. It’s so basic it shouldn’t matter if magelight or transfig use light spells.

Of all the things  you can do with fire magic, making a little light is not the thing I thought people would get hung up on. 

The fact that there's even an argument on if fire Evo should or shouldn't have a Light spell absolutely is going over my head here. The literal conjuration of fire makes an illumination in the dark. That's part of what fire does otherwise you might as well remove candles, torches, lanterns, etc that uses fire as literal light to see in dark places. 

Thank you for submitting your Lore Games draft! You will receive input on what needs to be fixed within the next 2 or so weeks.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours. I apologize in advance for the delay, things are rather hectic at the moment as most people have had finals.