[✗] CA Race Lore – Night Trolls

Quavinir_Twiceborn

I think it would be a cool EVENT STORY team creature for events, but I feel it to be a bit too overpowered and overall pretty useless for a CA. It just brings a bloodthirsty villain to the table. You don’t have to play a new creature to kill people and be a furry. Just be an aggressive and bloodthirsty Kharajyr or Hou-Zi.

lmao this is why i dont usually try roleplaying with you anymore my dude

lore seems to be worked on, but seems too furry for my +1

3 hours ago, Ave_victoriam said:

I think it would be a cool EVENT STORY team creature for events, but I feel it to be a bit too overpowered and overall pretty useless for a CA. It just brings a bloodthirsty villain to the table. You don’t have to play a new creature to kill people and be a furry. Just be an aggressive and bloodthirsty Kharajyr or Hou-Zi.

Did... you actually read the post? 

The MO of the Night troll’s, by the requirements of this lore is that the cant have any sort’ve benefit from their ‘bloodthirst’ if they actually kill someone. The villain by necessity must take something from someone, but leave them 100% alive. As for the over-powered arguement- specifics would be appreciated. I did my best as to make it effective at the job it would need to do, yet able to be defeated given the opposition had basic armaments or preparation, urging the players of such to be extremely cautious, and choose how they go about things wisely. Your average man with basic armaments is going to be more than well equipped to dispatch one of these guys on their own. Night Trolls need to be cunning and work with their restrictions to survive.

The aesthetic side is mainly due to my like of what is classically considered a troll. The earliest version of what we can call  a troll, is simply depicted as a hairy, ugly, weird looking man (Humbaba the ogre of gilgamesh), yet later times, in scandinavian tales- a giant fuzzy man with a massive nose. In more recent times, what a troll is depicted as varies madly, ranging from simply big orcs, to downright ape-like fur-covered beasts. I did my best to mix what I thought were the most fun traits of ‘trolls’ and make something unique. 

Alright hold up. As the guy rewriting illusion right now, and as someone who’s played primarily an illusionist for the better part of 7 years at this point as well as just some dude who wants some answers:

Why does illusion and mental magics and those others not work on a night troll? What reason causes this to be? 

They have functioning minds, at least on par with an animal and from what’s described are nearly as intelligent as descendant races. You might bring up the “magic deadzone” bit, however that doesn’t explain why they are immune to those magics while the rest they are not. 

Also, just in general, making anything passively immune to anything else, especially when it comes to magic and creatures and such, is bad and no fun to play with at all. Furthermore, everything like that definitely NEEDS to have a good reason and explanation. 

42 minutes ago, Demotheus said:

Alright hold up. As the guy rewriting illusion right now, and as someone who’s played primarily an illusionist for the better part of 7 years at this point as well as just some dude who wants some answers:

Why does illusion and mental magics and those others not work on a night troll? What reason causes this to be? 

They have functioning minds, at least on par with an animal and from what’s described are nearly as intelligent as descendant races. You might bring up the “magic deadzone” bit, however that doesn’t explain why they are immune to those magics while the rest they are not. 

Also, just in general, making anything passively immune to anything else, especially when it comes to magic and creatures and such, is bad and no fun to play with at all. Furthermore, everything like that definitely NEEDS to have a good reason and explanation. 

1st part: 

Night trolls have the mashed up souls of a dead person, and a dead animal, with minds that arnt exactly properly put together or formatted proper. Their souls are too mish-mashed to allow for proper connections to the void or dieties, or any magical ‘connection’, for that matter other than the brief one they form to siphon soul essence from those whose blood they suck. This may be an inaccurate understanding of illussion and mental magic, but I was under the impression a magical connection must be formed in for such to be used. (If I am wrong I am more than happy to be corrected and adjust accordingly.)

2nd part:

Blood magic: Due to the far differences in their blood, and the lack of astra. Magically speaking, a night troll’s blood is moreso nasty black water than it is blood.

Mysticism: Night trolls bear no mana, or astra, and hence dont have any ectoplasm, like ghosts and gravens do.

These are all the magics I could think of that would apply specifically to the night troll. To my knowledge, the rest of the magics on LOTC are physical. A night troll if its blasted with a fireball will still be burned by it, if Xan’s mists are summoned they shall still be affected by it, etc, etc.

The “deadzone” part admittedly is more mechanical than it is roleplay. I do not want these creatures to be able to circumvent their own weaknesses or drawbacks with enchanted items. The lack of reasoning to such is moreso due to the vagueness by which the activating of enchantments work. If I had a better understanding of how such actually worked I would be able to explain accordingly. I dont know how voice activations work, and I dont know the nitty gritty of how touch activiation works, and my efforts to find such have been fruitless so far.

3rd part:

I will openly disagree that giving an immunity to anything magical or creature related is no fun to play with at all. I could understand if one is frustrated if their one means of dealing with a problem doesnt function, but LOTC isnt in a vacuum by which every character can only do one thing and nothing else. If one thing doesnt work, than something else very well can and will. It is than, important to me that atleast some form of creatures not be affected by some things as to encourage this sort’ve creativity or problem solving. One of my gripes with creatures and magics (the section of which I left out’ve the ‘purpose’ part due to it almost being longer than the lore-post itself) was the use of any and every magic one has at their disposable to fix any problem, due to almost every magic having some form of viability against any opponent no matter what. (Though this also falls moreso to my general opinion on magics itself which is a tangent I need not get on.) Though admittedly this falls heavily on my own subjective opinions on magics and creatures etc- and may well be flawed and biased.

Initial drafts of this creature had additional ‘immunities’, though I axed them in favor of that which would make most sense given what this creature is, and not be often used in dealing with a creature such as this. 

Despite this text wall, I do appreciate you taking time to fully write out your comment, and I hope my explanation and answer is sufficient.

With regards to Illusion; illusion operates on the subconscious and affects the mental processes involved with perception. Having a messed up soul and/or mind may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for an inability to form one’s own connection to the void however that doesn’t really prevent anyone else from connecting to them. Sensory Illusion works on anything that has the ability to perceive the world around them, and to a limited extent to perceive their own self. As far as I know as well there’s no preestablished reason or occurance of a creature being immune to such magics for a reason similar to the one you’ve given. 

So, if we move onto the nature of meddling with a mind that is...let’s say different or more chaotic than your average mind, then sensory illusion is free from those problems since they don’t require the illusionist put their own mind within the mind of others to work and thus don’t have to deal with that. 

Mental magic users however have to be inside the mind that they’re meddling with and so that might be a different story. 

18 hours ago, Demotheus said:

With regards to Illusion; illusion operates on the subconscious and affects the mental processes involved with perception. Having a messed up soul and/or mind may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for an inability to form one’s own connection to the void however that doesn’t really prevent anyone else from connecting to them. Sensory Illusion works on anything that has the ability to perceive the world around them, and to a limited extent to perceive their own self. As far as I know as well there’s no preestablished reason or occurance of a creature being immune to such magics for a reason similar to the one you’ve given. 

So, if we move onto the nature of meddling with a mind that is...let’s say different or more chaotic than your average mind, then sensory illusion is free from those problems since they don’t require the illusionist put their own mind within the mind of others to work and thus don’t have to deal with that. 

Mental magic users however have to be inside the mind that they’re meddling with and so that might be a different story. 

I am... heavily confused now. Illusion works by going into a something’s head, and messing with its subconscious and the mental processes. From what you explain to me, it is less not conjuring images or such physically, but messing with the processes involved with the perception of already present images. (It is not conjuring physical light that than enters someone’s retinas/eyes, but rather making so that the light that goes into the eyes isnt what is translated to the brain, correct? Atleast as an example for sight.)

...But than you say they dont need to put their mind into the mind of others if they’re.. chaotic? And they’re free from... what-... problems?

12 hours ago, Smaw said:

Why don't they have hair on their face?

Cause they got people faces. Though some can grow beards.

9 hours ago, Ajax said:

Why aren't there normal trolls

Trolls actually were on LOTC for a time, through they were a very limited race. These were classic tolkien-esque trolls, with large bulbous noses, and who stood at about 4 meters tall, and turned to stone immediately in the sunlight. (this was later retconned to ‘would turn to sun if they remained in the sun for around a minute)

They were always intended by the creator of them to be few in scope, however, to my recollection, the few that were played for a time all went inactive, and the creature was shelved.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:22 AM, Kiiwi said:

This ain't it chief.

i dont like u but pretty much ahaha

Thought it was gonna be like Night Goblin Trolls. Disappointed