We Have A Crisis

Telanir

1 minute ago, mitto said:

You guys are really playing the victim card by finding yourselves as a target in one of the addressed issues in this thread. Even before anything has even been acted upon. Perhaps if you're super anti-Semitic against players they will email of harrassment, I highly doubt people are going to be banned for jokes.

Half of you are claiming nothing will be done, half of you are claiming it'll be me. How about you give the system time to actually come into effect, or propose better systems instead of ripping on something prematurely.

Things are being addressed one at a time, why do you expect a cure all thread to come up. Be patient, it's not even been a week yet

Well considering some of us have proposed better systems . . .

and considering how much of this Telanir and other admins slid under a rug until it was dropped onto the public’s lap. Forgive my rage I guess.

1 minute ago, mitto said:

You guys are really playing the victim card by finding yourselves as a target in one of the addressed issues in this thread. Even before anything has even been acted upon. Perhaps if you're super anti-Semitic against players they will email of harrassment, I highly doubt people are going to be banned for jokes.

Half of you are claiming nothing will be done, half of you are claiming it'll be me. How about you give the system time to actually come into effect, or propose better systems instead of ripping on something prematurely.

Things are being addressed one at a time, why do you expect a cure all thread to come up. Be patient, it's not even been a week yet

“you guys” ah yes. You’ll have to forgive my skepticism but staff zeal to hang my friends and I on anything that can because we are critical of the regime is a bit laughable. Anyone thinking that this system will be applied equitably, consistently or justly. Delusional. Nothing will be done because nothing is ever done. Telanir having done his bit of two day forum outrage and shakeup will slink back into irrelevance as some random corporate talking head (fireheart / luka / pun whatever NPC comes next) steps up and preserves server stagnation. Repeating the same action and expecting different outcomes is a sure sign of insanity. Nothing is going to change under Telanir. He’s had years.

8 minutes ago, Wrynn said:

In essence; **** or get off the pot and let someone who has a deep passion about the community sit on the pot.

Wouldn’t be the first time you made a post promising change and then disappeared for months, Max.

LOTC shouldn’t be a safespace for people who cant handle some toxicity really. Genuine harassment for x y or z is one thing, but someone saying dumb **** like “I think you’re shitty at your job” shouldn’t be demonized or banned for it. if people want to be sensitive snowflakes and cry over every little bitty thing, then they can go for it tbh. toxicity =/= genuine harassment, but that part doesn't matter

telanir ur so incredibly out of touch and disconnected with the server that its like u hardly seem to understand ur own playerbase at this point. things would be so much better for all of us if you were more actively involved with the community outside of doing stuff like this.  I don't doubt that you want to help the server, but its just that u don't know how to give a good response ever. but ig acknowledgement is better than nothing at all.

^ i’d elaborate on this part but I’d just be repeating what everyone else has already said

this (my post) was prob a shitty response but idgaf anymore yall get the point 

43 minutes ago, Telanir said:

TAsk any parent in this community how this affects them and their children, then we can talk ‘fairness’.

Honestly I'd rather ask Pun's children how LotC affected their mother, ****'s fucked.

Cya in a few months Telanir, when another scandal pops up and you just appear to calm people down just to disappear once more.

EDIT:  How Pun affected LotC, not how LotC affected her

58 minutes ago, Telanir said:

I have come to realize that access to LotC services is a privilege but also a responsibility. We have to weigh two scenarios. In the first, an innocent player is denied access to LotC services. They find a job, maybe get into a relationship. God knows, maybe they exit the house and make some friends. (I’m kidding). I might be tongue in cheek but the point is, they can’t play a game.

Now, please imagine a second scenario with me. An abusive sociopath who uses this platform for their cruel pleasures roams free because the evidence is ‘shaky’.  What happens when they get their hands on impressionable children who just come to enjoy LotC? And then radicalize them? Or abuse them? Or threaten and take advantage of them?

Tell me straight that you are willing to weigh this risk equally. I’ll show you the ******* door. Ask any parent in this community how this affects them and their children, then we can talk ‘fairness’.

I’m glad you finally came to this conclusion. Not to say that everyone else (except FlamboyantRage ?) hasn’t already made this exact point, but it’s good to hear it. I’ve witnessed this place devolve from a friendly writing community to an abject cesspit. Maybe now, finally, we can move past trying to simulate a real life justice system with minecraft bans, and toward cleaning up our community and discouraging antisocial behavior.

Discrimination, hatred, attacks, and pedophilia must go. Regardless of how acceptable any of these are in your personal circles. If you discriminate, perpetuate sexual luring and predatory behavior or attack people to the point of threatened safety, so too you must go no matter the friend group or culture that validates your abuse

3 minutes ago, ZythusRequiem said:

Discrimination, hatred, attacks, and pedophilia must go. Regardless of how acceptable any of these are in your personal circles. If you discriminate, perpetuate sexual luring and predatory behavior or attack people to the point of threatened safety, so too you must go no matter the friend group or culture that validates your abuse

I discriminate against pedos and erpers

Ban all ERP’ers, on or off the server.

Don’t ban people for edgy jokes or bants

It seems like these posts periodically arrive stating that staff will be moving forward with a new way to address problems and that they’ll eliminate the issues that have been happening. Afterward, nothing happens for a while until another public post is made complaining about the lack of change/action. I’d like to think your heart is in the right place but it really isn’t easy to believe this with how things have gone previously and how out of touch it seems you are with the community’s opinion.

Also, a few parts of this message seem either poorly worded or conceived. I can understand the idea of not wanting to get Discord notifications on your phone, but the fact that you close off a line of communication for the people who need help the most is a problematic stance without even delving into the other things you’ve said here. Communicating with a large volume of players is part of the job of an admin and if you’re too busy or don’t want to handle it, you should probably abdicate the position to someone else. A lot of this post is a diversion from addressing the pedophilia problem on the server to talking about action against “toxic” (undefined) behavior. These issues don’t really seem related and it kind of seems like you just want to brigade against some strawman people who I at least haven’t encountered. (i.e. “radical idealogues”) instead of addressing the real problem.

Finally, I would really recommend taking a moment to think about the fruitfulness of creating a separate entity to resolve these “Safety” cases, when problems involving those already on staff have been woefully mishandled.

P.S. Western Values is an extremely arbitrary statement.

Edited by Jaelon

I've been on over hundreds of roleplay platforms. I've seen a lot, a lot of bad people OOC, a lot of bad RP that's mostly just a power fantasy. 

It's hit over a year since I joined the LOTC mark. And I've seen just the same issues with players as any other media platform may have. 

Not everyone here actually gives a **** about their fellow players. A lot of show care and support, but LOTC has ideally an average player base of 250 and upwards of 320 in our high peaks of activity. 

Compared to most any other RP platform, this has the means to be one of the nicest close-knit communities to date. 

Let me break down the number of people reasonably.  In America, Oklahoma. My school region puts kids into classrooms of 30. The new player discord has about 520ish people. 

LotCs population is lower than that of most urban high schools. This means the vast majority of you grew up in an environment where you really were just 1 in 1000. My high school had a freshman population of 2,000 when I first started. 

520 people equal out to about 17 classrooms of 30 people. Meaning that if everyone who played the server went to the same school, there'd be no doubt of a tight-knit group. Humans have been forming social clicks since the dawn of time. And LoTC is no stranger.

When I first started LOTC, I went over to Belvits in Atlas. It was fun, I really enjoyed the aspect of the server. I might have had some humans say some racist things to my dark elf. But every time I talked to someone they were generally nice. It took me almost half a year to find people I didn't OOCLY enjoy. 

I was shocked at how toxic things seemed on LOTC for anyone and everyone simply for existing or upsetting someone. OOC targeting and the sort. 

What doesn't shock me is what happened with Pun, and those pushed forward. I do not support their actions and am glad to see that action has been taken. The Internet is a horrid horrid place. 

I do not think the Admins handled this well at all, I think that some of the power of being an admin has gone to their heads. And in turn, it made them distant from that which is the bulk of the player group. Something that staff has and always will struggle with no matter where they might be. 

You talked down to those that came forward much like the police do when someone comes in to report rape or the similar. You skipped what should have been a very human reaction to this, and held it off until the player base screamed at you. Within hours of Pun being exposed. Administrators release the most robotic on un-feeling comments I've seen. For that, you all, each and every single one, get a big **** YOU from me. 

But you also get my props. For rapidly trying to make up for the robotic and cold response of Flamboyant. You need to make further steps to get in touch with the players affected mentally by this. 

I am glad you bring up parenting, but Tythos, that is a good point. I was 16 when I had 24 year old Taylor Smith make sexual advances on me, sending nudes, asking for nudes, etc. It ended poorly, she tried to date me even. At the time, I was just excited to see **** and ass. 

Nearly twenty years old myself now, I am disgusted by her actions. 

There is a reason why America had the legal age limit at 18. It's because the brain can't handle the release of chemicals produced from sex. It fucks with developing brains, to extreme degrees. Causing severe mental issues down the line, trust issues, shell shock and worse. 

You don't need to tell all of us you are sorry for a poor press response to this situation. But I fully expect Flamboyant and Tythus to privately apologize to the victims from the recent string of reports. You both turned off your emotions to address a panicked and hurt player base. 

From one human to another, you handled this piss poorly. This is a step in the right direction. But you need to reach out to the victims personally and say you are sorry for a cold and distance stance on the matter. 

I understand there are legal repercussions from something like this, almost always. It's highly illegal. And the last thing we want is Microsoft flipping the switch on the server. 

I feel I've said what I need to say. I haven't spoken personally to Tythus or Flam, nor do I think I ever will. I'm just some bloke. But I will push for you both every day, to go PM the victims and give them a real ass human apology. 

Glad to see that the Administration is finally doing something to fight against some pedophiles that sadly are part of this community (and some of them even part of the Staff as we saw last week). I wish good luck to this new team that the Administration has created to handle these unacceptable cases and I hope we can all continue to play in the server safely, as it always should have been.

1 hour ago, ReveredOwl said:

the bottom bit, are u going to finally start banning players who knowingly accept/play with banned players?

say goodbye to most of the staff team then