World Team Policy Update November

VonAulus

World Team Policy Update

BrReU8klwfdsijv7OoMj7ZnqgWiYZwtkRKlhuYfW

World Edit Use for Nations/Charters

After thorough discussion, the World Development Team has decided to assist nations in rebuilds or deconstructions of settlements. World Edit will be used with a World Manager or World Admin’s approval to clear land for a future build site. This policy’s goal is explicit - to help players get back to roleplay is quick as possible while going through a temporary rebuild. No resources will be refunded, and it is up to the manager 's discretion what is okay to cut and if it will be allowed. There will be a base fee of 2000 mina that will be added to a fund to use as incentives for World Team members in future World Team build competitions. Requests will be submitted in-game through the world req system. 

However, some points below must be clarified as standing policy for World Edit use.

-World Edit will not be used to paste in people’s builds or move builds for convenience. -Members are not to use their LC pex to build for their nations or charters without Admin or Manager approval. 

-World Edit or LC is not to be used to benefit a nation or charter in any mechanical way - building or clearing inordinate terrain for PvP defenses or to abuse mechanics will not be accepted. 

Team Expansion

Registration of new applicants to the World Team going to be paused for the time being. We’ve inherited a large team and have added a sizable portion of new developers - as a result, we are going through a period of restructuring before expanding further. If you apply now, we will get in touch and review your application once the team re-opens. No confirmed ETA on that yet, though we will need new hands and fresh minds before years’ end for certain. Talents that we’d like to see in the near future include worldpainters, nature builders, etc

World Builder LC Allowances

We are affirming a long unspoken policy here - Members of the team are allowed to work on projects for their various nations or charters as long as it is for event sites or nature. They can also work on nature for other groups that approach them. This policy is to try to invigorate our builders to work on projects that they are passionate about - not to give one group and advantage of another. That is why at the moment these builds are solely for nature or event purposes. Nature or event sites must be outside the city or settlement.

The current roster of builders are from a diverse range of groups and we should see the effect of this policy spread out throughout the entire server as a general beautification process. Map development is never truly finished and we can always stand to make our map a better and more immersive realm even six months in.

Management approval is needed for allowance projects to avoid circumstances of bias - team members should be able to give a simple pitch of the utility of their intended build.

Map Development

As of right now, there is no timeline or announcement regarding map development. However, know that the WD team is working hard and we are beginning to build a roster, explore concepts, and establish a firm timeline to deliver LotC an exceptional map and canvas for roleplay. I would like to invite any comments or suggestions to be posted on this thread for myself and the other designers to read through - we want to gather as much data and insight as possible before embarking on this journey.

My DMs and the DMs of our managers are also open to suggestions and insight as well for the current map and new map mechanics and innovation.

can we have a permanent map so that worldbuilding lore actually matters for more than a few months?

I like this post

4 minutes ago, Dardonas said:

can we have a permanent map so that worldbuilding lore actually matters for more than a few months?

Considering this map will prob be the longest map ever for lotc.... ok.

We dont just change maps willy nilly.

12 minutes ago, Hiebe said:

Considering this map will prob be the longest map ever for lotc.... ok.

We dont just change maps willy nilly.

Seems to be a once a year thing give or take since I’ve been around.  Point is the worldbuilding lore is minimal and its for good reason, nobody likes it being thrown out the door.  Xarkly did a contest for Atlas to try and give some flavor to all that, and I guess it slightly worked?  Generally if I walk somewhere in this map there is nothing of significance.  

Don’t really want this map to be permanent either.  It might be cool to recreate a version of one of the previous maps based on how it’d look following the catastrophes, like the flood in Asulon (iirc).  

Worldbuilding, not the actual mechanical building and placing blocks (builders are wonderful), is trash, and when you have a fantasy setting things like landmarks, previous warzones, land scars, old ruins – all these things build depth and flavor.  We don’t have anything like that.  Why are the ruins in the swamp by CT spooky?  What’s the big deal about them?  We’ll never know because writing world lore is dead when everyone knows it’ll be temporary.   

On the topic of mapchanging: narratively, its bad story telling to just know that “okay well, its about time for us to pack up and do our yearly move.”  The refugee story has gotten old and stale.  It doesn’t bring anything new to the table.  Reclaiming a the motherland?  Man, that’d be an awesome narrative to launch and send people off to do without it being boring refugee thing number fourteen. 

Don’t get me wrong, its not all on the World Team – ET and LT have handled map changes abysmally.  I’d just like to see more effort go towards actually building narrative and story in regards to the World Team.

What a coincidence. A certain world Manager needs a personal build so he enlists the entire world team to come build in his swamp.

Looks like we’re gonna be in Arcas for a hot minute.

Looks like we’re gonna be in Arcas for a hot minute.

2 hours ago, Dardonas said:

Why are the ruins in the swamp by CT spooky?  What’s the big deal about them?  We’ll never know because writing world lore is dead when everyone knows it’ll be temporary. 

There was an eventline involving the swamp, which would have likely opened up the ‘map lore’ surrounding it. However it clashed with Mystery’s Voidal Tear events and players couldn’t do both “antagonistic threat with spooky terrain corruption” scenarios. My understanding is that the swamp eventlines died as a result.

Can’t we please just steal something from Planetminecraft for the next map? It would be better than what we could create ourselves and would allow the World Team to spend more time on finer details since the bulk of the work would already be done.

3 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

This could be a possiblity but remember how valior was, 

I will bring this up in world chat. Thank you

3 hours ago, Dardonas said:

If you were to ask the recent additions to the designers of the world dev team they would tell you the focus on lore, landmarks, and depth. Thisnlays the ground work for our future world development 

23 minutes ago, Tato said:

What is the stance on World Edit for Lore purposes/structures?

ie. moving blood shards and the likes

ive mostly used GMs for this in the past and the responses are on and off depending on the season

the most recent time, i was denied the privilege and had to deconstruct and hand build the lore structure; to which an lt exclaimed “****, thats sih a gay shard” after having seen a “netherwart build suspiciously shaped as a thing” 

LT/GMs should be doing this at your request w/ a modreq lmfao. World Devs deffo shouldn’t need to do this

@Tato This sounds like a Moderation or Lore responsibility. I would encourage them to do it, but, World Team does not have the knowledge or expertise to interfere in that. You can message me personally if you really need something moved, I would be happy to help.

Demands:

• Charters = Small size without upkeep
  • City areas = Centralised (Not more than >10 from CT, get someone to start a timer and run for like a couple mins and once it reaches 10 mark a pillar to show that is the furthest extent a place can be put)
  • Have many more options than before, this map it felt a bit railroading on where you wanted people to go
  • More mountains n stuff, this map has felt p flat as all the high places are occupied or never too close, have like mountainous passes in the roads and stuff near cities to really give the world some geography
  • Can we get some more fantasy locations lmao, I want floating islands and massive forests, have it non-build-able but put stuff like events n history on it
  • Try to create more things on the road, recycle from other maps the carts, pit-stops n stuff like that to really revive the map, Axios was good at having things on the side of the road that gave it life

Reasons:

• Helps keep roleplay centralised, means people can’t just build side-cities, they have to work their way up through that (e.g. a hamlet of 3 buildings turns into 5 then walls, then 9 then gets tiered up due to having more than 15 people a day etc etc) this progression will also help prevent the boom n bust of cities (Gets built, really active start and takes up a large space, then dies out soon after for one reason or another, an example of this would be Llyria or Rosenyr, no offence to them of course)
  • No Atlas version of Fenn where you were running for 30 mins to get there please
  • This map had a bunch of options which sorta guided where people should go
  • Mountainous areas help create some life, there are changes in the relief sure but no misty white peaked mountain ranges like on Axios or Atlas
  • Its a fantasy server, why are we so keen on avoiding fantasy topics and instead stick to a less magical setting, it really clashes with magic on the server
  • The roads are more dead than my grandparents so please give them some life

Conc:

I do thank those who built this map, however as with all maps there are always flaws, hopefully next map we get perfect

Edited by LorelessPuddleMancer

Minecraft is a fun game. I suggest you all play it. Btw good post.

6 hours ago, LorelessPuddleMancer said:

Demands:

• Charters = Small size without upkeep
  • City areas = Centralised (Not more than >10 from CT, get someone to start a timer and run for like a couple mins and once it reaches 10 mark a pillar to show that is the furthest extent a place can be put)
  • Have many more options than before, this map it felt a bit railroading on where you wanted people to go
  • More mountains n stuff, this map has felt p flat as all the high places are occupied or never too close, have like mountainous passes in the roads and stuff near cities to really give the world some geography
  • Can we get some more fantasy locations lmao, I want floating islands and massive forests, have it non-build-able but put stuff like events n history on it
  • Try to create more things on the road, recycle from other maps the carts, pit-stops n stuff like that to really revive the map, Axios was good at having things on the side of the road that gave it life

Reasons:

• Helps keep roleplay centralised, means people can’t just build side-cities, they have to work their way up through that (e.g. a hamlet of 3 buildings turns into 5 then walls, then 9 then gets tiered up due to having more than 15 people a day etc etc) this progression will also help prevent the boom n bust of cities (Gets built, really active start and takes up a large space, then dies out soon after for one reason or another, an example of this would be Llyria or Rosenyr, no offence to them of course)
  • No Atlas version of Fenn where you were running for 30 mins to get there please
  • This map had a bunch of options which sorta guided where people should go
  • Mountainous areas help create some life, there are changes in the relief sure but no misty white peaked mountain ranges like on Axios or Atlas
  • Its a fantasy server, why are we so keen on avoiding fantasy topics and instead stick to a less magical setting, it really clashes with magic on the server
  • The roads are more dead than my grandparents so please give them some life

Conc:

I do thank those who built this map, however as with all maps there are always flaws, hopefully next map we get perfect

Nice players can now make demands... (?)