[✓] [World Lore] - Black Ferrum

squakhawk

u0xXgj1.png 

Material Name and Description (Refined Form) 

Blackferrum is an advanced form of steel, and not something that can be harvested. Blackferrum in any form is typically a matte appearance, with a colour range from ashy-gray to a dark black. Ingots and items made from Blackferrum are entirely non-reflective of light, with a flat colour and smooth surface. Blackferrum is not of any exceptional quality above steel, maintaining nearly identical properties with such, all but the poor ability to shine or reflect light. Blackferrum aswell would be far easier to smooth and sharpen than regular steel. 

Applications (Refined Form) 

Pure form

Blackferrum may be used in any application steel may be used, albeit with it’s different appearance. Blackferrum would also bear a slight weakness to heat, but not on a noticeable level. Weapons, armor, and objects crafted of black ferrum would bear no exceptionally unique properties other than texture, being incredibly smooth similar to marble, and colour once the forging process has finished. If chipped, the item maintains the chip rather well, maintaining a good strength and likely smoothing it out over time. However, a strike to or near this chipping point would as expected, result in the blade shattering. If a heavy blow is sustained upon a weak part of the blade after great wear, it may shatter into several sharded pieces- rather than warping it’s shape or breaking in half. 

Alloyed form

Blackferrum when alloyed into another metal may gave the other metal slightly different properties. To begin, the other alloy may bear significantly smoother texture and potentially even the same matte appearance that it’s pure form bears. However, there is a slight increase in weakness to heat when compared to its pure form. This would be noticeable, and the melting point would be lowered by a decent margin upon the original work. The other alloy in question would aswell take on the same property of breaking, in that if it were to break- the blade would be absolutely irreparable. 

Impure form

Blackferrum when impure is not entirely a loss - the steel effectively becomes tempered, making it slightly more resistant to heat, and easier to sharpen than regular steel. It would take on an ashy colour, but would still reflect light. It aswell would take on a smoothness, but that of any regular steel. 

Red Lines (Refined Form) 

-Black ferrum does shine, reflect, or shimmer in any manner- retaining an opaque or matte look.

-Black ferrum is broken in RP may not be reforged or repaired

-Black ferrum may not pick up a colour outside of a considerably “dark” range. 

-Black ferrum maintains the same properties of steel, and alloying another metal would bring the properties closer to steel marginally. 

rafal-szlapa-blacksmith2.jpg?1463744760 

Refining Technique 

Starting with pre-refined ingots of steel, one would begin to melt such in a crucible. 

Fuel for the forge must consist of charcoal. Coal or Coal Coke, even wood would not suffice to provide enough carbon for the steel to absorb.

Using a crucible, the steel should have little ventilation- the goal is to absorb carbon into the steel, giving it it’s colour and properties.  

The temperature may range anywhere from 3000F-3250F within the forge, but so long as the steel is melted (Above 2800F at the minimum), and absorbing carbon, temperature is rather irrelevant- exceeding 3250F however, will likely begin to burn off carbon- a balance must be maintained.

4A) Flux may not be used, as it will increase temperature rapidly and encourage giving off carbon.

Needing around half an hour, the lowly-ventilated forge will likely stain black with charcoal dust, which may be hazardous to the eyes and lungs, and will likely be difficult to clean effectively. 

After sufficient time has past, the black-ferrum may be poured into a cast or mould. This cast or mould must be away from the heat, to set rapidly - and not give off excess carbon. Afterward, it may be heated again to shape, melted, or quenched once solid - it will no longer be at risk for giving up it’s carbon content if heated once more. 

Refining Red Lines 

-Excess heat will cause the Blackferrum to turn into it’s impure form.

-Using flux will cause Blackferrum to turn into it’s impure form.

-A lowly ventilated forge, if too closeby, may cause impairment to the blacksmith. It aswell would pollute a building and potentially be toxic to those inside if not well ventilated. 

Purpose (OOC)

Blackferrum is a piece of lore that has been a core part of smithing on LOTC for quite some time, but has never had ground-defined lore other than it being.. Black. I figured I might give it some special properties and finish up the lore so it is finally incorporated and done, something that can be considered alongside steel for a mere aesthetic purpose as a fondly remembered lorepiece that has been around since Nexus. 

Part of an ongoing project of rewriting minerals on LOTC. A thanks to Riftblade and Josh3738 for aiding where needed on this piece and all further pieces.

This is a very vague way to explain a different color metal. It really doesn’t need some special properties because of “the way it is refined”. Realistically it doesn’t make sense. The properties of the metal are inherent to what you used in the process to begin with. For example, stainless steel requires nickel, silicon, chromium, in addition to iron. This is a poor excuse for a metal lore, do some research on how blacksmithing works and try again. Or just, let it be simply defined as ‘metal that is black’ there are plenty of ways to do it that don’t involve speshul techniques.

If the metal in no way reflects light, it can only be one color and that is the blackest black, so black that it appears as just a silhouette. Furthermore, if it doesn't reflect light and absorbs it all, it would get very hot, very easily.

Okay first of all, you don’t use “it’s” for an object. There’s no possessive apostrophe for it.

Second, making black ferrum one word is just bemusing entirely.

Now for less pedantic ****..

54 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

black ferrum would bear no exceptionally unique properties other than texture, being incredibly smooth similar to marble, and colour.

This makes no sense. I have to beat steel into shape, it’s not going to be glassy and pretty by default.

If chipped, the item maintains the chip rather well.

What does this actually mean? There’s no explanation as to what this is.

But if a heavy blow is sustained upon a weak part of the blade after great wear, it may shatter entirely, into several pieces- rather than warping it’s shape or breaking in half.

This implies that it’s very brittle, which totally contradicts what you appear to be suggesting above.

Alloyed form

If it’s a form of high carbon steel, not sure it would really alloy with anything.

in that if it were to break- the blade would be absolutely irreparable.

Steel is good, because it can be reworked through forge welding if necessary. This doesn’t make sense.

Starting with pre-refined ingots of steel wrought from iron, one would begin to melt such in a crucible.

That’s not how steel is made.

Is this a crucible steel then? Because you then go on to describe how steel is made in a blast furnace, for which coal coke is used, because of its high carbon content.

None of this submission makes any sense.

44b.png

3 hours ago, Lark said:

This is a very vague way to explain a different color metal. It really doesn’t need some special properties because of “the way it is refined”. Realistically it doesn’t make sense. The properties of the metal are inherent to what you used in the process to begin with. For example, stainless steel requires nickel, silicon, chromium, in addition to iron. This is a poor excuse for a metal lore, do some research on how blacksmithing works and try again. Or just, let it be simply defined as ‘metal that is black’ there are plenty of ways to do it that don’t involve speshul techniques.

Black ferrum is a high carbon steel. I have done my research but I’d like to note this isn’t a guide on how to go out and do this sort of thing, it is a low fantasy-fantasy server and I’d like to have lore according so such. Black ferrum has never had a piece yet has had a core identity as a special refining technique upon the server. I added some things that were interesting and would accord to a high carbon steel. If you have genuine criticism, on this or Daemonsteel, I would very much appreciate it. I am sorry if I am not correct to the end of it, if you would like to give input on how to aide it I’d be more than glad to hear and take advice on this and perhaps more if you would like.

squak#8441 

2 hours ago, Aethling said:

snip

3 hours ago, Youngie5500 said:

snip

taken both of your criticisms and applied it to the lore, which should be satisfactory now. As these two pieces are the most realistically similar to base metals on the server, I am sure you are glad to hear that this shouldn’t be a problem going forth. Thank you for your aide. 

20 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

Black ferrum is a high carbon steel. I have done my research but I’d like to note this isn’t a guide on how to go out and do this sort of thing, it is a low fantasy-fantasy server and I’d like to have lore according so such. Black ferrum has never had a piece yet has had a core identity as a special refining technique upon the server. I added some things that were interesting and would accord to a high carbon steel. If you have genuine criticism, on this or Daemonsteel, I would very much appreciate it. I am sorry if I am not correct to the end of it, if you would like to give input on how to aide it I’d be more than glad to hear and take advice on this and perhaps more if you would like.

squak#8441 

Cool cool. Nowhere in your lore do you mention it is a high carbon steel. And if this is a low fantasy-fantasy server, then blood magic (THAT YOU WROTE), shades, Ascended, etc etc can go, right? This is a problem, you have your own opinion of what LotC’s lore SHOULD be, and are denying the fact that it is not, in fact that. The Lore Leader even has a race of shapeshifters. Those ain’t low fantasy by a long shot. LotC is medium fantasy at most. Black Ferrum and Daemonsteel are the least needed lore bits right now. My genuine criticism is you would be better off applying your writing talent on something not these, because otherwise you are just wasting your time.

But heres some other criticisms if you really wanna go through with this.

1. Blackferrum → Rename to Blackiron, sounds better  and not as awkward as Blackferrum, which is silly.
  2. A darker color could be imparted by alloying it with lead or silicon. Lead doesn’t bond with steel, but rather works as an inclusion and would make the metal suitable for machining operations involving cutting as a lead iron alloy cuts easier. I can find the science sources on that if you want to understand that more. SIlicon works if you want it to be special because it purifies the iron and increases strength and hardness of the metal.

You are not only making yourself look bad, but Riftblade and Josh as well by putting out subpar metal lore. Hell, I don’t even know who you are. I just am very passionate about worldbuilding lore, especially metal lore (since I’ve written the major ones like Slayersteel and Bluesteel). I prefer realism and science behind my lore, so it has basis and is easy to understand. This is not that.

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

snipp

im sorry to hear 

3 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

to provide enough carbon for the steel to absorb.

the goal is to absorb carbon into the steel

and absorbing carbon,

Flux may not be used, as it will increase temperature rapidly and encourage giving off carbon.

and not give off excess carbon.

it will no longer be at risk for giving up it’s carbon content if heated once more. 

the server can range anywhere from low fantasy to fantasy, right. I would like to note, as I did in the last selection, that this is part of a large project to rework material lore that is outdated or needs reformatting. This isn’t a main project of the LT, not by any capacity. This is something done in off time, that I would like to see high quality rewrites and reformats to material lore from. 

Despite there being a few issues within this piece I do appreciate that lore for these previously vague materials is being made.

See my edit. And you are talking about absorbing carbon. You do not explicitly state it is a high carbon steel. Carburization, that only makes the metal harder. But specfically used for metals that have a lower carbon percentage. Depending on where you are mining your ore, and what composition of elements you are using, especially for iron, this isn’t necessary and the end product will be barely usable for combat, and would be better suited for industrial operations. Unless thats what you want it to be used for.

EDIT: You need to make sure your metal lore is explicit and explains everything properly. You’ve read my Bluesteel lore, haven’t you?

Its simply explained, and that was that. Later on, it was expanded and it works just fine.

If you are going to give information on the ‘vague’ metals, don’t be even more vague than it already is.

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

See my edit. And you are talking about absorbing carbon. Carburization, that only makes the metal harder. But specfically used for metals that have a lower carbon percentage. Depending on where you are mining your ore, and what composition of elements you are using, especially for iron, this isn’t necessary and the end product will be barely usable for combat, and would be better suited for industrial operations. Unless thats what you want it to be used for.

thank you for your criticism. I will take it into account.

9 hours ago, Mojo said:

Despite there being a few issues within this piece I do appreciate that lore for these previously vague materials is being made.

I Agree

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.