another regular staff shitpost

Man of Respect

I’ve been very innactive lately, coming back and forth, but I still lurk on the forums because of Travista and random posts every once and then, I like to make memes to voice my concerns but I really feel like anything is actually never heard.

I mean, there’s the Telanir’s periodic posts that comes out every once in four months, but I hardly ever see any of the issues solved or acted on. Feedback effects are hardly noticed besides a change of view, there’s hardly any reciprocity, stuff is left pending for years and sometimes admins just decides to ignore you when you shoot a PM and replies are often one-sided, which has been the issue 70% of the time in my time trying to interact with them.

So, I don’t know. I’ve decided to write down what I think that can be easily have action taken on, with a candy ontop of it, and will make the server better, but at the same time I also do know that this won’t have any effects, I just hope to inspire people or something. Anyone within any of these teams can actually do this, you don’t need to be in a position of leadership to ask your manager and support him (or have him support you) to do this stuff

1. Story Team hardly has any effect on the entire context of the server.

I think that the story team could work together to make a larger scale event, where every story team member can be put to work, such as splitting work to give a better effect and deliver something to the playerbase which has been lacking since September Prince (aka an antag) and that Ice Castle event with the bad dark guys from last map, White Order or something. I mean, there were possibly mistakes or things that went wrong with the entire eventline, but that could be used to make an actual event line, maybe even a handful of 3 or 4 or one person could do it

The story writers plan the entire history (or one), the builders will go and build some cool stuff, maybe then you can get someone to make you skins for the event team (maybe even make a team for that or a contest?)

I mean, I know that this isn’t easy and requires a lot of planning beforehand, but players will be content with the results (or atleast i would), but I just think that it’d be pretty nice to have any global events before the world end antag, something for players to care about and interact with. Events were feeling pretty stagnant before I stopped playing and even nowadays.

1. Community Team can host different things that benefit the server.

The CT is supposed to help new players and interact with the community while taking in new player applications. It’s a cool respectable job, but I think that the CT could host events that benefit the entire server. For example, skinning competitions with a specific theme that can be used to increase the skin database for ET or for normal players, just like the battle of arts, but you reward every neat submission because they’d be doing a contribution to the entire server. Its low-effort high-reward.

Treasure Hunt events are actually cool too. Also maybe work on the Wiki or re-do the wiki team to fix it?

1. When Moderators replies to feedback, it is short, straight and definitive instead of “feedback noted”.

If it can be done within time, say how long it might take, if it can’t, explain the issues and why it can’t be done, or say that it’ll be done as soon as possible.

1. Split the FM from the Moderators

Giving workload to people that are willing to only moderate the forums is okay. Its not because the staff is big that it’ll be bad. The more you squeeze staff, the more work you’ll be taking away from people that could be fully dedicating themselves to one task. Also, its not like FM has any real power.

1. Finish and never do again the Lore Games

The lore games can pretty much be seen as either a culling of magics or an opportunity to increase your powers even further. The lore games have been going for a year or so, and there’s so many submissions that its hard to know what’s in the Lore Games or not at this point. Most lores don’t even need a rewrite, we’re just making stuff more complicated and pushing people into rewriting something that doesn’t needs a rewrite. 

Take dark shamanism for example, I think that it never needed a rewrite, and the further it was rewritten, the more it began to stray from actual dark shamanism where the purpouse is to defile the spirits, now it can be just a trophy magic for random elves that make no sense of why the spirits would grant their name to someone that a dark shaman has guided to the spirit realm instead of being skeptical about it.

The lores, instead, could use clarifications, instead of having to re-do the origins and the reason every time.

An obligatory spell list also makes no room for creativity. It becomes just like another D&D wizard magic book that increases as you level up instead of the idea of freely manipulating elements. Why? Because you pull entire fireballs out of the void instead of fire now. 

Wait, have the lore games been dropped all this time and we didn’t even know about it?

1. Fix drug plugin

Please. :( 

Just now, Man of Respect said:
  1. Story Team hardly has any effect on the entire context of the server.

we’ve got a whole fuckton of voidal shenanigans going around, it’s an entire worldwide event which has been going on for a few months now

i do fully agree with everything else, though! great post 10/10

15 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

The CT is supposed to help new players and interact with the community while taking in new player applications. It’s a cool respectable job, but I think that the CT could host events that benefit the entire server. For example, skinning competitions with a specific theme that can be used to increase the skin database for ET or for normal players, just like the battle of arts, but you reward every neat submission because they’d be doing a contribution to the entire server. Its low-effort high-reward.

I actually wrote a proposal for monthly, weekly and bi-weekly events for Skinners, still waiting for it’s approval but you know how processes go with management
?

What I miss seeing and hearing about are the micromanaged flavour event zones and setting props that breathe life into LoTC. The map needs new developments as time goes on. 

And don’t get me started on Lore Games. We should have been looking at 1 magic at a time. This all has been a mess. 

If only event team actually had builders to help them, but they don’t anymore. World builders are a thing, but from what I understand, their purpose isn’t entirely to help with events anymore. 

Also not everything on the server needs a rewrite. If your lore was good before lore games and didn’t have issues, all it needs is reformatting and it’s peachy. There’s no reason to remake origins or whatever if you don’t want to do that and the origin already works. 

And free form spells still exist. Take shade magic, something that was accepted a bit ago. They can use their amber to create free form shapes and objects that are practically limited only by their imagination – and common sense. If you want free form spells, add free form spells. We literally don’t care, just make sure it makes sense and isn’t broken and abusable. 

good post though, plus one 

also how are we supposed to fix the drug plugin when we don’t have a dev team anymore :^)

maybe we close our eyes and wish upon a star because its never gonna happen

10 hours ago, Man of Respect said:
  1. Fix drug plugin

Please. ?

I mean, that’s my main concern as well. Let me have my dope again mods. 

ooh a drug plugin with the totally cool botany plugin the server has now would be cool 

Nah I like having no FM team. FMs liked to make themselves busy by handing out warnings like candy, GMs don’t really care enough to. Well unless they want to target ban a NL right before a warclaim. But the fact warnings can get you admin-banned is just more reason to limit the number of people who can do it, I don’t want any more Song Druid Ariks LARPing as forum tyrant.  

On 11/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Man of Respect said:

1. Split the FM from the Moderators

Giving workload to people that are willing to only moderate the forums is okay. Its not because the staff is big that it’ll be bad. The more you squeeze staff, the more work you’ll be taking away from people that could be fully dedicating themselves to one task. Also, its not like FM has any real power.