[Completed]Banning of a Player, Unjust or Just?

Qaz_The_Great

I almost never get genuinely angry about things that happen on the server, but for once I suppose I am.

Making bad decisions is okay - I don’t fault you for that. Not correcting them however, is unacceptable. Please do the right thing! Not just for his sake, but for the sake of the community he has, and will continue to should his ban be lifted, put so much effort into supporting as well. There is still time yet.

And thank you Qaz. This is a really well written post, I truly hope it can make a difference.

Once again, I ask the question of who exactly this ban is in the best interest of?

Bans should always be used to protect communities/players from others once they’ve explicitly broken rules – though I am unsure of who this ban really protects. 

All that the LOTC Administration is doing here is making it very clear that those who play for extended periods of time and continually work to improve LOTC through supporting its newly joining players will not have their situations and contributions taken into account when they prove to be too much to handle. 

Stay tuned for Saturday. We won’t forget this, and we’ll hold feet to the fire for as long as it takes to fix this goofy ****.

EDIT: Also, I know who the people who’ve celebrated Narthok’s ban are. I meant what I said on his farewell post. 

oren here and calling yourself “descended from varg vikernes” as a gag isn’t a reason to admin ban a player

max forum warn bans have always been a joke. I still have a forum warn from like 2016 because I posted the filthy frank “you just got roasted” soundbyte. I’d love to see what narthok’s backlog of forum infractions actually was

1 hour ago, TrendE said:

Stay tuned for Saturday. We won’t forget this,

ok trende

Banning Narthok would be a bad decision. He’s the reason why a lot of people play the server past the first day, myself included. Upset.

I’ll intentioned memes are against server policy; third rule down. There is also a passage in our roleplay-guidelines by Harold that stipulates on that a bit more, the post needed to be pointed. It was reported and it in bad taste; yet the moderator who approved the post prior to that also shouldn’t have. Was the ban bad? Yeah definitely. Was the ban justified? According to the policy we’re supposed to follow it was yeah. The solution is then twofold. What stand out in my mind here is the policy that warps the process:

1. The repercussions for reaching ten points on the forums are way too steep. People shouldn’t receive service-wide admin bans for crossing that threshold; punishment should fit the crime folks.
  2. APPEAL YOUR OLD DAMN WARNING POINTS. Can’t really stress it enough; on the server we’re unfortunately in the situation where we as individual players are responsible for keeping up with and petitioning to be rid of expired points. That's the way it is; it’s not that hard, it’s just a matter of filling out an application. It’s not ideal.

Having points set to expire after a year would be a good start; solving both those issues would probably fix things in the long run and its pretty basic stuff to do. I think what's also necessary is for staff to be as clear, consistent, and decisive as they can be; one of the other major problems being that ultimate decision for this case was dragged through the mud. 

Appreciate the post.

I see it as pretty unjust. He’s my friend, even if our nations are at war.

1 minute ago, WACKO said:

I’ll intentioned memes are against server policy; third rule down. There is also a passage in our roleplay-guidelines by Harold that stipulates on that a bit more. The post needed to be pointed. It was reported and it in bad taste; yet the moderator who approved the post prior to that also shouldn’t have. Was the ban bad? Yeah definitely. Was the ban justified? According to the policy we’re supposed to follow it was yeah. The solution is twofold; what stand out in my mind here is the policy that warps the process:

1. The repercussions for reaching ten points on the forums are way too steep. People shouldn’t receive service-wide admin bans for crossing that threshold; punishment should fit the crime folks.
  2. APPEAL YOUR OLD DAMN WARNING POINTS. Can’t really stress it enough; on the server we’re unfortunately in the situation where we as individual players are responsible for keeping up with and petitioning to be rid of expired points. That's the way it is; it’s not that hard, it’s just a matter of filling out an application. It’s not ideal.

Having points set to expire after a year would be a good start; solving both those issues would probably fix things in the long run and its pretty basic stuff to do. Appreciate the post too.

For the first part, it wasn’t a meme. For the second part, where are these roleplay-guidelines by Harold? I cannot see them in the posted server rules.

On to your suggestions, I agree entirely, such a ban is wrong and all-around will NEGATIVELY affect the server. I implore you, and I implore the rest of the Mod team to revolk this decision and fix the issue at hand. Thank you for responding, and thank everyone for being supportive of this. I’ve seen too many RP servers burn because of infighting and because of rules lawyering. We, as a Community, should rise above such things and fix our issues rather than allow them to fester. 

They’re under the spoiler for sub-forum rules pm, I’ll link u:

As for whether or not it was a meme I mean vargposting is kind of self-evident. Again though the steep punishment for reaching ten points is very punitive. It shouldn’t be a service-wide ban in my opinion it should just be a forum ban. If those old points had just been appealed he probably wouldn’t have even been on content mod; since we basically just use it to keep folks at around 7-9 points from getting themselves banned outright.

1 minute ago, WACKO said:

They’re under the spoiler for sub-forum rules pm, I’ll link u:

As for whether or not it was a meme, I mean vargposting is kind of self-evident. That said, again the steep punishment for reaching ten points is very punitive. If those old points had been appealed he probably wouldn’t have even been on content mod; we basically just use it now to keep folks at around 7-9 points from getting themselves banned outright.

Aye, only one I see is memeing is discouraged, that is true and I wasn’t privvy to the concept of ‘Varg Posting’ my mistake. However the accusation of racism doesn’t really hold up, even reviewing these rules.

22 minutes ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

Aye, only one I see is memeing is discouraged, that is true and I wasn’t privvy to the concept of ‘Varg Posting’ my mistake. However the accusation of racism doesn’t really hold up, even reviewing these rules.

Thats essentially why the warning is worded the way it is; I address it twofold ‘rasict or racial content.’ In either case it wouldn’t have been appropriate (breaking one rule or another) either being a breech sub-forum guidelines, or genuinely racist. In this case it was the former which most of us agree on; a name drop, an inappropriate joke worthy of one or two points but not a massive platform-wide ban. I hope that clarifies it a bit.

I cannot believe that the moderators lack the empathy or simple brain cells to disregard old warning points spanning a year+ when reviewing for an admin/max forum warn ban. 

Just now, WACKO said:

Thats essentially why I worded the warning in the way I did; addressing it twofold as ‘rasict or racial content.’ In either case it wouldn’t have been appropriate (breaking one rule or another) either being a breech sub-forum guidelines, or genuinely racist. In this case it was the former which most of us agree on; a name drop, an inappropriate joke worthy of one or two points but not a massive platform-wide ban.

I hope that clarifies the language of the warning itself. 

It clarifies intent, yes, however it doesn’t clarify why the staff had embraced a completely negative reaction to it, making it go from a zero situation straight to a one hundred situation. I’m glad you responded and you did bring up some things I wasn’t knowledgeable of. It is also notable that the comment wasn’t racist in any matter, as I have elaborated upon in the main post, however one of the Moderators does also continue to state the comment was racial which is simply incorrect. It’s enough the player has been banned, he shouldn’t be made out as a racist either; such a thing is extremely slanderous to the accused.

hey, you’re right!!! white supremacy never hurt anybody!!!! right, narthok?? right??