[Completed]Banning of a Player, Unjust or Just?

Qaz_The_Great

10 hours ago, Trinn said:

I cannot believe that the moderators lack the empathy or simple brain cells to disregard old warning points spanning a year+ when reviewing for an admin/max forum warn ban. 

? SORRY THAT WAS NOT PROGRAMMED INTO MY PROTOCOL ?

12 hours ago, WACKO said:

I’ll intentioned memes are against server policy; third rule down. There is also a passage in our roleplay-guidelines by Harold that stipulates on that a bit more, the post needed to be pointed. It was reported and it in bad taste; yet the moderator who approved the post prior to that also shouldn’t have. Was the ban bad? Yeah definitely. Was the ban justified? According to the policy we’re supposed to follow it was yeah. The solution is then twofold. What stand out in my mind here is the policy that warps the process:

1. The repercussions for reaching ten points on the forums are way too steep. People shouldn’t receive service-wide admin bans for crossing that threshold; punishment should fit the crime folks.
  2. APPEAL YOUR OLD DAMN WARNING POINTS. Can’t really stress it enough; on the server we’re unfortunately in the situation where we as individual players are responsible for keeping up with and petitioning to be rid of expired points. That's the way it is; it’s not that hard, it’s just a matter of filling out an application. It’s not ideal.

Having points set to expire after a year would be a good start; solving both those issues would probably fix things in the long run and its pretty basic stuff to do. I think what's also necessary is for staff to be as clear, consistent, and decisive as they can be; one of the other major problems being that ultimate decision for this case was dragged through the mud. 

Appreciate the post.

you’re not da good guys in this situation...

4 hours ago, Hiebe said:

Why not just appeal the old warning points?

Then youre below the 10 point threshold and gg?

Because that would mean breaking the wall of bureaucracy that @Telanir hates so much as it’s not a “policy” or rule to appeal past warning points after you’re forum banned.

5 hours ago, Youngie5500 said:

Friendly reminder that Narthok's ban is an admin ban. It's not within Wacko's, mine or any other moderator's purview to undo it. Wacko gave him the tenth warning point, the rest was left to administration to deal with. You can scream and shout at moderation all you want, but it won't change a thing. 

Does the Moderation Team not hold any sway with the community? Have you not spoken to those above you as to the careless and wholly negative nature of this ban? I understand how you, and the Moderation Team may feel helpless in this situation, unable to act because it is above you, however you can clearly see the unjust nature of this ban and you have much more influence than me, a player, in any actions taken. If there were a correct course of action for you to take, that would be one of support of this cause, rather than denying culpability on part of the Moderation Team.

Thank you for coming here to show your support though, it’s appreciated.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, WACKO said:

APPEAL YOUR OLD DAMN WARNING POINTS. Can’t really stress it enough; on the server we’re unfortunately in the situation where we as individual players are responsible for keeping up with and petitioning to be rid of expired points. That's the way it is; it’s not that hard, it’s just a matter of filling out an application. It’s not ideal.

a majority of lotc’s players have no clue how to do this or how to navigate these forums because (wild guess here) they don’t use forums as their primary means of interacting w/ the server or the community

warns should only ever restrict your ability to post on the forums. temporary warns should be in place for minor shitposting and breaking quality control rules. if you post something genuinely harmful, inflammatory, or illegal, you should be given a separate in game ban that does not depend on your standing with the lotc forums.

Speaking from my own experience and opinion as well as extensive time on the moderation and administration team:
In most cases bans should be a last resort, you can get through to a player much more extensively by simply sitting down and having a chat with them rather than straight up banning them. I’ve seen so many moderators in my time on the server that fail to see the server as a bigger picture and instead just see themselves as ‘blue tag boys’. 

The server needs moderators who don’t just care about their own role as a moderator but rather the health of the server and it’s community as a full picture. I’ve seen a lot of moderators who don’t and aren’t willing to take the time to sit down with someone and talk with them because it takes much much longer than simply handing out a ban. The entire idea of a ‘protocol’ for bans is entirely stupid to me; each moderator should be able to reliably judge a situation themselves and decide whether a ban should need to be handed out or not.

At the end of the day, this is minecraft server where kids go on after school to have some fun, and running around acting like the police and banning people for choice decisions doesn’t solve anything. Sit down and have a chat with trouble-makers if you actually care about the server and want it to go somewhere.

same goes for the admins; however it’s much harder for admins because past a certain point you simply become out of touch with the server.

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, UnBaed said:

hey, you’re right!!! white supremacy never hurt anybody!!!! right, narthok?? right?? 

lmao

Let me expand on this so someone doesn't just screenshot my response and cry about it as is typically. This was a long time ago and I was only reminded of this recently.

Me a catholic making a satirical joke about a church burning neo-pagan should be obvious humor about Vikings rather than an endorsement of his ideas.

I didn't read a single word of this, but I think more people should get banned because it's funny.