LotC Mages: What Draws the Line Between a Good Mage Roleplayer and a Bad Mage Roleplayer?

IsaaKc

Bad:

Magic trading OOC’ly or otherwise, thinking yourself the most important person on the server or magic community (ego), roleplaying to win all the time with zero acceptance or tolerance towards any losing situation, doesn’t plan or think ahead for said situations. Metagames, powergames and does everything in their power to ruin magic for everyone else.

Good: Literally anything that doesn’t do what I just mentioned above.

What defines a mage is about how much he min-maxes, how many magics he keeps and how much he brings in to the table when it comes down to RP.

If a mage min-maxes, he’s already bad to me, because it’s the main character syndrome where you need to be the most powerful for no actual reason, like everyone else. I’d say the older the player is in the mage scenario, the worse they are when it comes down to powergaming, because they’ll refuse to lose just because they’re the 235th gandalf that is destined to kill balrog and they can’t lose to subpar roleplayers that didn’t roleplay time enough

Mages that have 3-4 magics but only use one and bring no benefits to roleplay besides using it to 1v10 people are bad too

using robes and flexing your magic for no reason is also bad.

just don’t be a seething egotist and you’re fine

I’ve had fun with overpowered mages even in crp when they were trying to roleplay an interesting character. I’ve had no fun roleplaying with someone’s demigod self-insert, ever. Not even just casual vibe *sips ale rp. If you create a character for the exclusive purpose of leveling their stupid magic up because you live vicariously through your character’s ability to zap people to death with magic, you 100% don’t have an interesting personality or any understanding of what makes writing good

this is an unconstructive screed I know but I feel like there’s fundamentally nothing wrong with most magic lore as it’s written. it’s a problem with the attitudes of specific people and our inability as a community to constructively criticize those people.

also get rid of void magic hehe

Just now, Man of Respect said:

What defines a mage is about how much he min-maxes, how many magics he keeps and how much he brings in to the table when it comes down to RP.

If a mage min-maxes, he’s already bad to me, because it’s the main character syndrome where you need to be the most powerful for no actual reason, like everyone else. I’d say the older the player is in the mage scenario, the worse they are when it comes down to powergaming, because they’ll refuse to lose just because they’re the 235th gandalf that is destined to kill balrog and they can’t lose to subpar roleplayers that didn’t roleplay time enough

Mages that have 3-4 magics but only use one and bring no benefits to roleplay besides using it to 1v10 people are bad too

using robes and flexing your magic for no reason is also bad.

This is good

My addition to this;

You have players who don’t know leniency. It is what deters players from role-play MOST of the time.

You have players who don’t know the value of life, shrugging at the thought of death of a child or loved ones or whatnot, because OOCly they know of CT.

You have players unwilling to PK in good RP, an honor system broken time and time again.

You have players who have foul attitudes and don’t know how to step back from the server for a moment, we’ve been there.

You have people who get angry out of OOC for something not happening in RP,  typically something to do with magic obtaining or role-play romance.

If people followed the Community Guidelines then there would be less;

meta related problems

modreqs that could’ve been solved within the boundaries and capabilities of the players instead of staff, I’ve not been a GM but I am surely aware they get annoyed to see a modreq that could be simply resolved by themselves.

long-run less power-game

less fail-rp

less mary sue

Though, when will we obtain that.

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Though, when will we obtain that.

Once humans become selfless – which won't ever happen, mind you. Most people only want to contribute to their own story rather than considering and branching off positively into other players’ stories.

everyone has a right to magic roleplay and as long as they dont use it to higher some sort of superiority complex im fine, i dont like it when people get magic oocly but instead strive to get it as a possible path to develop their character a certain way. let people do what they want i say as long as they’re not super annoying about it

2 hours ago, calzium said:

everyone has a right to magic roleplay and as long as they dont use it to higher some sort of superiority complex im fine, i dont like it when people get magic oocly but instead strive to get it as a possible path to develop their character a certain way. let people do what they want i say as long as they’re not super annoying about it

Yours is just the most recent comment about this. But I just want to add to it in case someone is confused or misinterpreting it. Perhaps I am, myself. 

It's fine for your character to min max. If that's what they would do and they have compelling reasons to do so. It's fine for them to live their whole lives around magic too. A character can decide to define themselves by magic and that may be the first impression they wish to present to others.

Oocly however you shouldnt define your character by the magic they use. Oocly you should know there's more to them than magic and it should inform what they do. 

If a character is driven largely by magic, magic itself shouldn't be the reason they're driven by magic. Ie: magic because magic because magic. 

I worry that people will read this sort of comment and decide that mages who are super passionate in character about their magic or magic in general are trash rather than what the comments assumable mean which is if you were to ask oocly who their character is and the player struggles to say more than "they uh like magic?" thst is a sign of a bad mage PLAYER. 

23 hours ago, Milenkhov said:

I once fought a mage that emoted blowing me and my crew

lol

bad roleplayers naturally gravitate to magic, that's it

2 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

bad roleplayers naturally gravitate to magic, that's it

Bad role-players definitely gravitate to magic. But bad role players also gravitate to PVP. 

And the worst part about this vicious cycle is that no one ever gives anyone a chance to improve and prove they’ve improved. You’re a mage? I don’t know for sure if you’ve got a good reputation? PVP.

That said, the one thing about this is, isn’t this defender default? And above that isn’t it guard default for the issue in Sutica that Tri brought up?