[✗] [Arcane Feat] Domestic Magic

Sorcerio

3 hours ago, Dardonas said:

Can’t tell you for sure if your suggestion would work, I’d have to think on it.  I’m simply saying why domestic magic got axed recently was because of the lack of tracking and open access.  I’m not speaking for the whole LT, but I would suggest that your chances of this getting accepted probably will go up if you address the reason why it was shelved to begin with.  

Having domestic magic feat applications isn’t a big deal anyways.  There isn’t risk involved with someone metagaming that you can mop the floor with your head as opposed to if this was a Striga CA or something.

With the option of either Demotheus with having spells unlocked if taught by X mage or mine where an accepted voidal MA got you access they both present issues as you did come up with. Having it put under a FEAT application can assist with managing domestic magic... How would it be given out? Self-Taught? Taught? i’m just curious.

Changelog

@Dardonas @Demotheus @Jenny_Bobbs
Domestic Magic is now a feat requiring an MA. Any Domestic Mage with a TA may teach any domestic mage with an MA so long as this lesson is taken note of and proof is able to be provided.

Spoiler

On 11/17/2019 at 12:38 PM, Alpheus said:
  • Domestic magic requires an MA to practice, though as it is a feat it requires no slots. A domestic mage may only apply for a TA after they have learned and mastered all of the spells.
  • A domestic mage with a valid MA may learn any spell from any domestic mage with a TA, meaning that their initial teacher does not have to be their sole instructor. Such side-lessons, however, must have proof of such. 

@BrandNewKitten Two new spells were added, per your request.

Spoiler

Force Lock [Non-Combat] – By using the power of alteration, one is able to force a door to lock itself from a distance. Such a lock will hold the strength of an average descendant lock.

Hide contents

Redlines and Guidelines:

• This is really just a fancy spell that a mage can use as a roleplay alternative to the /lock command. 
  • This spell only works on doors that the mage owns and are not yet locked by another entity.

Branch – Alteration

Clothing Shift [Non-Combat] – Upon examining their wardrobe, a domestic mage can chose to voidally shift right into their clothing, assuming it is nearby and within sight. 

Hide contents

Redlines and Guidelines:

• This spell permits a mage to voidally shift into their clothing, so long as they are within sight and nearby.
  • Clothing must be within an RP range of five meters, or five mechanical blocks, in order to shift into it.
  • This spell cannot be used in combat to avoid incoming attacks.

Branch – Voidal Shifting

7 hours ago, Alpheus said:

Changelog

@Dardonas @Demotheus @Jenny_Bobbs
Domestic Magic is now a feat requiring an MA. Any Domestic Mage with a TA may teach any domestic mage with an MA so long as this lesson is taken note of and proof is able to be provided.

Reveal hidden contents

@BrandNewKitten Two new spells were added, per your request.

Reveal hidden contents

Alright fair game. To new spells how would – oh I don’t know if we’re throwing a singular spell of voidal arts each into this conjuration familiars. Aka – Conjuring non-combative small animals.

@Jenny_Bobbs The conjure familiar spell was added per your request. It is a replacement for Celestialism as well, making it less complicated than it needed to be as well as permitting almost any mage to make one.

Conjure Familiar [Non-Combat] – This spell permits a domestic mage to conjure for themselves a simple familiar which they can play around with and perform simple tasks within their natural ability.

Hide contents

Redlines and Guidelines:

• mage is able to conjure for themselves a simple familiar to assist with household tasks or simply to interact with.
  • The conjured familiar cannot exceed the size of a corgi.
  • A household mage may only have one familiar out at once.
  • While a mage is not required to dissect the animal to make it a familiar, the animal must be a regular creature, meaning nothing magical or mystical. 
  • The creature cannot exceed a five block radius away from the caster, lest it be deconjured.
  • The familiar cannot fight or commit villainous acts, such as thievery.

Branch – Conjuration

7 hours ago, Tato said:

If not my disagreement with the concept, the lore is written and formatted decently – which is apparently becoming a rarity with contempoary submissions. It would be alright, from an OOC/lore perspective, on the server, though a few spells are missing ranges which I reckon need em (ie. clothing shift).

Hey Tato. I wish to address your previous points real quick prior to addressing the one i’m quoting you for above!

I understand the reluctant thoughts of household magic being out and lowering the quality or ‘mysical awe’ of the magic (my words interpreted from yours). The void as you put it is an unnatural thing, though to say players no little about it would be an understatement. Through player discovery or fancy lore writing the server has increased and delved further into the understanding of the void and it’s possibilities, one of the reasons household magic was made wasn’t to dilute magic more – rather offer opportunity for minor spells for any studying void mage (It’s locked behind an application now and depending what the lore writer wishes on Grand-Fathering to spread the magic out is their choice). I see the feat to assist aspiring or proficient void mages in homing skills of the void to classes they’ve not been able to get into or cannot learn currently. The spells on offer are not supposed to be groundbreaking but minor and insignificant offering nothing but flavorful role-play to mages.

Now to the comment I quoted, i’ll look over with Alph to check over the ranges and fix them up!

(This is my perspective of the lore, not Alph’s. Just thought i’ll put this in for clarity) 

14 hours ago, Tato said:

I do not believe Household magic has a place on the server as a feat itself. While the capability to do some of these spells should be possible as weaker and less pronounced alternatives to already-existing spells, they should not be openly available as an aesthetic for any mage that wants to be cutest.

The concept does not fit thematically into the magic culture on LotC; or, moreso, promotes a magic culture I find rather repulsive. I’m against the argument against magic to keep it to the ‘mystical and rare’ standards of the likes of LotR and GoT, but I do think some sensibility must be had. Household magic promotes the oversaturation and overuse of magic, providing cheap and repetitive alternatives that are unnecessary, and, thieves the Void of what it truly is: an enigmatic and unnatural source the Descendant race truly knows little about (despite what they – and their players – would like to think). It plays into an issue I have with Void magic which is why I think the quality overall has decreased: because it is treated as a commodity with no magnitude, when really – it is the sacrifice of ones self to an alien entity/concept that, from what can be observed, eats away at life. When Household magic places passive restrictions to cutesy spells, one can only assume a natural order dictated by this otherworldly entity. Why can no evil intent be had? Why can no aggressive reactions be had through these capabilities granted through tapping into the Void? The reasoning for the magic is because mages “wished to reach their fullest potential” – which is.. boiling tea, apparently.

Its unnecessary, and the flavour provided is cheap and weak. I agree passive capabilities should be had; but Household magic is the wrong route.

If not my disagreement with the concept, the lore is written and formatted decently – which is apparently becoming a rarity with contempoary submissions. It would be alright, from an OOC/lore perspective, on the server, though a few spells are missing ranges which I reckon need em (ie. clothing shift).

@Tato Your feedback has been noted and I thank you for the effort in your response. My rewrite changes the system of household magic that allows anyone to perform it, changing it into a feat just like cognatism or Atronach forging. This will help LT to monitor the activities of such domestic mages, assuring they’ve learnt and understood the spells in character, as well as make it a little less common in the process. 

Another point to add regarding your reply, Domestic Magic was created to help with simple daily tasks and nothing more. Of course, one may find burglary and pickpocketing to be a daily activity, yet that was not the intended purpose of the magic itself, hence why one cannot use it for such activities. It would be like trying to make ice out of fire evocation, that’s simply not its purpose or design. 

On a final note, I added limitations to each of the spells and yes, a mage’s greatest ambition may not be to brew some tea so I will change that. Otherwise, thank you again for your feedback!

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.