Political Discussion On LotC

Telanir

(Insert inane political comment to stir the masses and get rep)

Lmao everyone’s like “Politics isn’t the issue, it’s the toxicity” but every conversation ever about politics eventually results in toxicity lmao. Why even discuss it on a medievel minecraft server. . . Just go elsewhere if you wanna discuss politics or do it on a private discord, I don’t see this being a problem at all.

what if we say something meaningful to discussion and people get mad, though that was not the intent.

3 hours ago, Telanir said:

Please also keep in check references such as naming your characters after real-life or any characters from other fictions.

Can this get clarified a bit cause my guy if you haven't noticed people name themselves based on popular culture or actual existing names all the time. Do you mean please don't outright rip off characters, or what? Is this code? @Telanir

what do you mean mature themes

Decapitation is pretty mature but it happens every day on the server. Ologs eat people alive, people are tortured, ST creates vast stories with spooky eldritch powers, some characters are abusive - What do you mean MATURE THEMES?

and what do you mean don’t name characters after other characters, people name characters after their favorite stories all the time- I know I have, I named one of my druids Gwion after the figure from Celtic mythology and I WANTED to name him Taliesin after a different character from the same story, but there was already a Tailesin on the server named after the same guy and I didn’t want to infringe on their idea

4 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

So you’re telling me if I’m vocally against homosexuals being executed, women having their genitals mutilated, global warming, imperialism, genocides targeting minority groups, indigenous displacement and antisemitic movements – to name a few topics - then I’ll get banned? Or is it only bannable if I talk about ideas you don’t personally politically align yourself against?

I’m a history student and I don’t think I’ll be able to discuss my topic of study if we’re all ‘protected’ in the way you’d like. Politics isn’t everything, but it does touch everything. To deny that would be very naive.

In my humble and private opinion, these topics are worthy of dissemination and awareness. However, it doesn’t matter which topics I myself align with, they have no place on a Minecraft roleplay gaming platform. Give it 10 minutes before it devolves into shit-flinging, not cool. Not here. Say anything you like about them in your private channels, just keep ‘em off the forums, ooc, and the LotC Discord server.

3 hours ago, Crevel said:

Can I be punished for when I in great detail explain how the perception and the discrimination against Orcs on LotC is very similar to how African-Americans were perceived and hated on before and during the Civil Rights Movement in the United States?

I’d also like to point out the irony of making sure we don’t name our characters after real life people or fictional characters when Telanir’s only persona is the most generic s***post that is usually accompanied by the surname Joe. I’d like to list below all the Billy Bobs I can find:

• Every Billy Bob Joe that exists, including the urban dictionary definitions (the oldest being from 2007)
  • Billy Bob, the animatronic.
  • Billy Bob Thorton.
  • The countless Billy Bob games.

Hey Crevel, thank you for the opportunity to clarify a bit here—we’re talking direct references to an IRL organization/entity, or perhaps naming your character Gandalf or Trump. Things like Billy Bob are essentially harmless and apolitical. Something like Billy Joe Biden would be off the table. And yes, you can absolutely be punished for the first sentence lmao, and yes I get the reference. 

13 minutes ago, Telanir said:

In my humble and private opinion, these topics are worthy of dissemination and awareness. However, it doesn’t matter which topics I myself align with, they have no place on a Minecraft roleplay gaming platform. Give it 10 minutes before it devolves into ****-flinging, not cool. Not here. Say anything you like about them in your private channels, just keep ‘em off the forums, ooc, and the LotC Discord server.

My response to this post (and this entire very stupid thread) is that if you ban overt political discussion you just open the forum up to dog-whistle politics. If you ban people for challenging things like white supremacy (which can very easily be dogwhistled/passed off as “irony”) you just give the server over to the white supremacists. I'd say reconsider this, but you never do, so what's the point?

What about LGBT people. Is discussing LGBT topics “political” and therefore banned, just because the topics have been politicized by bigots? Very misguided rule, especially when tacit homophobia is basically the norm on the server. Disappointing.

Right well, what constitutes political?

LOTC is a very political server in its nature, as i said before, it’s based off real-life groups and political movements with a fantasy twist.

Can i discuss IRP politics and compare them to IRL politics? Can I complain about a lot of IRP politics being obvious inserts of modern politics and they don’t feel at home in the setting?
How modern are the politics here? Can I joke about crusades? They’re medieval history, they happen on the server, but they have been brought up in politics.

Like, is the “imperial fascist party” that was around a while ago allowed? Can I mention things like politics from the early 1900’s from europe? Swedish politics maybe?

Can I joke about them? “Ah goddamned communists” and **** like that? Because I joke about communists a fair bit.

I’m not against these rules, it just seems utterly impossible to define, and feels like something that will be bent to ban people who aren’t deserving of it, or defend others who definitively should be banned.

Annoying bandit X makes a joke about brexit? whack

Good guy Y is chatting to a mod, jokes about “Dump the Trump BIG LOL” and nothing is done.

Edited by Chryasor

Stop trying to silence your players and ******* take action against those actively causing problems in debates.  It’s healthy and good to talk and debate about political problems, big brother. It’s a major part of our lives, and an important role for us to do.  Don’t punish the people trying to have healthy, enlightening discussions.  Even a 12 year old can understand that this is more than “a minecwaft wolepwaying sewvewr” – we’re a community and we like expressing our opinions.  

FREE HONGKONG 

Honestly you’d gotten some of my respect back in recent months due to a few changes, this however has just flown in one ear and out of the other.. There are ten thousand Nazi, Jew, Islamic, Crusade jokes on this server.. Another thousand debates about current events in the known world.. If you want to ban half the server or leave it a husk of it’s former self, well done pal.