Sign in to follow this  
Telanir

Political Discussion On LotC

what do you mean mature themes

Decapitation is pretty mature but it happens every day on the server. Ologs eat people alive, people are tortured, ST creates vast stories with spooky eldritch powers, some characters are abusive - What do you mean MATURE THEMES?

and what do you mean don’t name characters after other characters, people name characters after their favorite stories all the time- I know I have, I named one of my druids Gwion after the figure from Celtic mythology and I WANTED to name him Taliesin after a different character from the same story, but there was already a Tailesin on the server named after the same guy and I didn’t want to infringe on their idea

Just now, ShannonLeigh said:

**** you, Free Hong Kong

power to the people

Edited by Knightie

can't wait to be told that any Discord server with another LOTC player on it is an LOTC medium when I get banned for saying Brexit means brexit. 

Instead of coming up with rules nobody asked for, how about rescue raids?

6 hours ago, Unwillingly said:

The discussions themselves aren’t the issue, its just when people are disrespectful about it and use that to go out of their way to bother other people it becomes a problem (which is probably the simplest way I can put it). Its just a matter of mods making sure these conversations don't turn aggressive.

Ppl shouldn’t be disallowed from having these discussions because somebody is getting offended anyways, which is probably why im assuming this thread was made in the first place.

I agree

8 hours ago, Telanir said:

please keep general political, controversial, and inflammatory discussions away from LotC mediums, this includes things like #ooc, our Discord Server, our forums, and such. Please also refrain from mature themes as our server is home to many young children during an especially impressionable age.

So you’re telling me if I’m vocally against homosexuals being executed, women having their genitals mutilated, global warming, imperialism, genocides targeting minority groups, indigenous displacement and antisemitic movements – to name a few topics - then I’ll get banned? Or is it only bannable if I talk about ideas you don’t personally politically align yourself against?

I’m a history student and I don’t think I’ll be able to discuss my topic of study if we’re all ‘protected’ in the way you’d like. Politics isn’t everything, but it does touch everything. To deny that would be very naive.

Can I be punished for when I in great detail explain how the perception and the discrimination against Orcs on LotC is very similar to how African-Americans were perceived and hated on before and during the Civil Rights Movement in the United States?

I’d also like to point out the irony of making sure we don’t name our characters after real life people or fictional characters when Telanir’s only persona is the most generic s***post that is usually accompanied by the surname Joe. I’d like to list below all the Billy Bobs I can find:

• Every Billy Bob Joe that exists, including the urban dictionary definitions (the oldest being from 2007)
  • Billy Bob, the animatronic.
  • Billy Bob Thorton.
  • The countless Billy Bob games.

Disband the LOTC forums – they interfere with legitimate rp!!

Fix the actual problems instead of going all 1984 on our asses.

Don’t censor political opinions, that’s stupidly dangerous and will only create some echo-chamber of delusions like it did over at Google and friends. 

Edit: Safe space bad, safe space unsafe.

Further edit: I also hope you enjoy banning/warning half the server since half of the veteran playerbase will essentially get banned eventually from this. 

Even further edit: What I just said is basically a political opinion, OOPS.. I guess I’m going to be banned? @Telanir Keep that in mind, what you described is VERY vague and GM’s will ban people for simply voicing their opinions on things because it’s “political”.

9 hours ago, Telanir said:

P.S. Please also keep in check references such as naming your characters after real-life or any characters from other fictions.

@Sheczar

Hey telanir, what is a word that rhymes with design and starts with an R.

Do it.

Maybe prevent people from talking about controversial topics in ooc which annoys others?
That sounds more sane. You know, if I’m rping in the square I wouldn’t want to be spammed by two people in looc screaming at each about *******, idk.. hong kong or feminism or some ****, but entirely preventing political discussions is near impossible and extremely ineffective, since, as stated above, politics are in everything.

lotc is an extremely political server, because many nations and groups draw from real life historical political and religious groups, its going to be brought up no matter what, how about cracking down on toxicity instead.

Maybe I shouldn’t be warned for discussing politics with a friend, but instead because i called someone ‘*****’ in all caps in the global ooc chat because they disagreed with me on healthcare politics (just an example, i dont know if that has happened, but it seems likely enough).

You know, the core of the issue, the toxicity that is extremely common, instead of trying to shut down people talking about things that engage them.

And yes, what are mature themes?

Is it just sex?  Cause yeah thats already forbidden.

Is it violence? Though luck, it’s a server almost purely based around conflict and violence between different groups. Emotional abuse? That’s rife in rp, since its a naturally pretty grim world a lot of characters are abusive, but is that a “mature theme”?

Is the existensial conflict between good and evil, void and reality, holy and dark, chaos and order, empire and freedom, all that **** that you can get really deep into and read a lot into with the server a mature theme? Because I haven’t read any books as a child that go into that stuff.

Are the graphic descriptions of violence in CRP a mature theme? The many characters struggling with IRP mental issues, that can get very “dark” and mature at times? 

It needs to be clarified, because “Mature themes” make up some of the most engaging rp this server has.

Edit :

And yes lastly, I often name my characters from real life people or places.
Antioch as an example, one of my most recent, is named after a medieval city.

Nathan, another one, I’m pretty damned sure there’s a fair few Nathan’s around.

Nicolet I ripped from a book I read, even Chryasor, my username, is taken from a fictional character, a mythological character from ancient greece. Is that against the rules now?

Should I just put a few letters into a ranodm generator and scramble them in the future? Because someone somewhere will already have used the name I’m going to use for a character in all likelihood, since names aren’t unique.

Again, this needs to be clarified. I get that you wouldn’t want people running around being named “Epstein” or “Donald Trump” or “Hillary” or something like that, but where is that line drawn?

Edited by Chryasor