Politics, Controversy, and Free Speech on the Internet

cowgirl bebop

My main issue with this change is that, to the community, it seems completely random and unjustified; a knee-jerk reaction to literally nothing.

I’ve been playing LoTC fairly actively for around four years now and can’t recall any issues related to or about the mention or discussion of politics aside from Narthok’s ban (which wasn’t even directly related to politics anyhow) and that was confirmed to not even be the reason this rule was implemented

So clearly something happened which caused this rule to be implemented that the Admins don’t want the larger community to know about, in which case why is such a rule being applied to the entire community anyhow? This new rule literally only serves to annoy the community and give them more to tip-toe around than we already have to for what appears to be no reason at all.

Either give us a proper explanation as to why this rule has been implemented or remove it all together, this is silly.

I just wanted to add as well, if this is about making everyone feel included, banning political discussion is the wrong way to do it. Politics are such a core part of personality and people’s identity in general, not to mention politics being  literally the majority of where LoTCs roleplay comes from.

If you want to fix issues, start by addressing some major issues that harm the community and members such as a minor like me who has to face the fact that there are literal paedophiles on the server with nothing being done about them.

Honestly I’m glad Telanir banned free speech I wish twitter would do the same because it’ll sift out the dummy boys from those actually informed. Unironically posting Free Hong Kong or any other movement is completely Reddit and belongs on Reddit, maybe make a subreddit called r/LOTCPolitics instead of spamming my honorable forums with these boring Twitter tier issues. I see it all day, every day, and don’t want to come back from school to see more basedposting except perpetrated by highschoolers and pseudos. This is why I ******* despise Nick Fuentes the little larping weasel and his little Groyper minions who spam my twitter feed 24/7.

LOTC should Focus on the politics of Minecraft not IRL it’s very onions, would help since theres a distinct lack in server culture atm

based @Telanir

I can unequivocally respect the spirit of this ruling on the basis that it is executed with the intent of improving community standards. At the moment, new players that join, between our IG OOC, discord, and forums, are barraged with a litany of toxicity that stem from wholly irrelevant discussions on politics, race, religion, culture, etc. – do we expect them to wade through that sewage to find roleplay? 

If we want this community to grow, we need to hold it a higher standard and prove it is a hospitable place for communal story-telling. I can recognize concerns that this may be used to target players, but in truth, if you are using LotC mediums as your personal soapbox to push controversial political beliefs, you might not be playing for the right reasons. 

8 minutes ago, Johnny_Fat said:

LOTC should Focus on the politics of Minecraft not IRL it’s very onions,
based @Telanir

The single most insufferable person you can ever encounter is the person who feels like their milquetoast and middling political opinion is both radical and necessary to be voiced.

I play minebrick to play a dumb videogame, not have ptsd flashbacks of sitting in the back of 9th grade civics and trying to get my buddy to drink window cleaner while half-listening to a lecture on national service bc some 14 year old thinks that everyone!! must hear about the omg political opinion Reddit gave them that week

Extensive political discussion on lotc doesn’t really have its place on the servers mediums when we as players have dozens of places to have that style of discussion without dragging the rest of the server into forcefully. That said it shouldn’t be a crime to have a conversation of daily and worldly matters, and just stopping / asking to move it to another location such a discord should be more than appropriate. I find this policy a bit needless and prone to abuse without a careful eye and will be on the lookout for abuse of it should it be used overly readily.

That said the idea behind it is not a flawed one at its core and it just needs proper usage to handle the sort of conversation. It is one thing to discuss things happening in the world, it is another to have a few community members endlessly occupying #ooc to attack each others views, spam the discord. No reason to step into a conversation but plenty to ask an argument or inflammatory remarks to go elsewhere. I think it put a mindset the server already carried into words that many fear can be heavily abused or improperly enforced, and that in of itself stifles even the type of conversations any healthy community should foster. 

I didn’t pen this rule or raise the concern for it, but am always happy to talk to players in dms on the forums or discords about these type of issues with suggestions and ideas with regards to the issue and the concerns around it.

“Are you aware of the spam of ‘Free Hong Kong’ is to bring attention to the ban on political speech? Was there a massive outcry for Hong Kong before? Not that I’m aware of. It’s only being mentioned to prod and poke at the rule. We’ve seen this a good thousand times on Lord of the Craft’s forums, people prod the rule to bring attention to it.“

For some reason your message is glitched BUT objectively you’re wrong

I’ve been a shitposting vet on the forums for years and never ONCE can I recall people genuinely spamming the forums about IRL issues. I’ve been content moderated not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES for sticking it to the LOTC man.

Spamming Hong Kong is not in any way getting you closer to saving those in Hong Kong, China Red Men don’t give a single **** about Western social media users because in China they've guns and tanks and are more than willing to murder people to get their way. Spamming it is not poking at RULE, it’s trying to make yourself feel as if you’re part of a movement. Remember Kony 2012? Maybe not, Idk how old you are, but that was equally as cancerous and it ended up with the founder embezzling money and dancing nude in the streets of San Diego. You know Global Warming? Maybe we should stop saying the WEST needs to keep getting cleaner when the Chinese and India contribute more polution that we do.  All these issues are shams and a diversion from better issues.

Also, with regards to you saying how can we be informed if no discussions are held on LOTC:
www.twitter.com
www.facebook.com
www.reddit.com/r/politics/
www.boards.4chan.org/pol/
CNN, MSNBC, RealClearPolitics, Fox News, BBC, Drudge, RT – Literally any news-source that isn’t MINECRAFT.
db1cf0eefc83d3a8f273a38f6fa193b0.png

1 minute ago, Valaryon said:

You misunderstood me, my apologies.

I meant proding the rule in general in order to bring attention to it. Not by mentioning something IRL. In this case, it just happens to be IRL politics.

Then it wouldn’t fall under Telanir’s political discussion thing because there’s a subforum called Feedback...

3 minutes ago, Valaryon said:

I’m not following what you mean by that man.

I was stating, how can we know the LotC lads are informed when the conversation isn’t had at all. Since you mentioned banning it on Twitter would separate essentially mass hysteria with the populace educated on the topic.

The mentioning of ‘Free Hong Kong’ is a method to prod at the rule and issues. This has been done before on LotC with other controversial rules. You make a forum threat calling for change. We just had another gigantic threat about some individuals and nefarious behavior around a month ago. There was what – about five different threads? You can call the number unnecessary but the method being used is to have the conversation at all.

Perhaps I’m the odd one out in this situation, sure I care about Hong Kong. Yes there is nothing I can do, but I’m participating in the memes to open a dialogue about the rule and show my support. 

Those threads aren’t political though the entire rule is based around people being political and irrelevant to LOTC

honestly tired of this “life is political” mantra that everyone spews in order to proclaim Twitter-based philosophies and idioms, as if its some justification to DEPLATFORM a LotC forum which already rarely does its intended goal thanks to status whining or rep-farm staff shitposting.

You want to free hong kong? Do what I am doing and actually participate in organizations designed for giving American solidarity to the crisis

You want to end the liberal menace? Go vote and join political organizations which support Conservative values

But preaching this **** on LotC is not some grandeur right which you can use to excuse speaking of inappropriate topics on inappropriate mediums. And trust me, there are ALOT MORE ADVANTAGEOUS AVENUES in which to get involved and actually ACHIEVE CHANGE, not just trying to get attention on a mineman server.

I stand with @Telanir

1 hour ago, Silverstatik said:

Extensive political discussion on lotc doesn’t really have its place on the servers mediums when we as players have dozens of places to have that style of discussion without dragging the rest of the server into forcefully. That said it shouldn’t be a crime to have a conversation of daily and worldly matters, and just stopping / asking to move it to another location such a discord should be more than appropriate. I find this policy a bit needless and prone to abuse without a careful eye and will be on the lookout for abuse of it should it be used overly readily.

That said the idea behind it is not a flawed one at its core and it just needs proper usage to handle the sort of conversation. It is one thing to discuss things happening in the world, it is another to have a few community members endlessly occupying #ooc to attack each others views, spam the discord. No reason to step into a conversation but plenty to ask an argument or inflammatory remarks to go elsewhere. I think it put a mindset the server already carried into words that many fear can be heavily abused or improperly enforced, and that in of itself stifles even the type of conversations any healthy community should foster. 

I fully agree with this. It is so easy to tell people to move to a different area to discuss politics or other controversial topics rather than fully revoke ones’ right to talk about such things. It is called proper moderation rather than just shutting ones’ thoughts and opinions down immediately with a ban.

I helped write a 50 page report to get Pun removed, and you expect me to read your 4 paragraphs that you wrote about free speech on a private platform?

1qj4y9.jpg

Preaches about Freedom of Speech and Deplatforming... Cites ACLU, Wikipedia, and NPR.... ?

Save your Marxist rants for discord. Minecraft chat channels are a terrible medium for communication.

1 hour ago, yopplwasupxxx said:

honestly tired of this “life is political” mantra that everyone spews in order to proclaim Twitter-based philosophies and idioms, as if its some justification to DEPLATFORM a LotC forum which already rarely does its intended goal thanks to status whining or rep-farm staff shitposting.

You want to free hong kong? Do what I am doing and actually participate in organizations designed for giving American solidarity to the crisis

You want to end the liberal menace? Go vote and join political organizations which support Conservative values

But preaching this **** on LotC is not some grandeur right which you can use to excuse speaking of inappropriate topics on inappropriate mediums. And trust me, there are ALOT MORE ADVANTAGEOUS AVENUES in which to get involved and actually ACHIEVE CHANGE, not just trying to get attention on a mineman server.

I stand with @Telanir

That’s a bad decision. Once i buy off lotc we are enacting 0 speech rules. If anyone speaks of anything at all they banned

Ah yes, the tried and true “You’re oppressing my free speech” argument. Flawless. If I have to give up my ability to talk about poltics on a minecraft server and all related forums to get rid of the white supremacist awful memes then so be it. If it’s a controversial topic just talk to your friends about it. We all know how modern politics is, everyone’s already in their little echo chamber of ideas. Just rant to your discord groups about politics and all that garbage if you want, we don’t need it here.

Also who the hell talks politics on minecraft anyway, seriously?

I say good job on this one @Telanir

Edited by Scourgeoforder

This thread is arguably more retarded than telanir’s thread, and I’m one of the people who’ve gotten a warning point for meming about Epstein. 

(We all know, just remember)