Politics, Controversy, and Free Speech on the Internet

cowgirl bebop

5 hours ago, yopplwasupxxx said:

honestly tired of this “life is political” mantra that everyone spews in order to proclaim Twitter-based philosophies and idioms, as if its some justification to DEPLATFORM a LotC forum which already rarely does its intended goal thanks to status whining or rep-farm staff shitposting.

You want to free hong kong? Do what I am doing and actually participate in organizations designed for giving American solidarity to the crisis

You want to end the liberal menace? Go vote and join political organizations which support Conservative values

But preaching this **** on LotC is not some grandeur right which you can use to excuse speaking of inappropriate topics on inappropriate mediums. And trust me, there are ALOT MORE ADVANTAGEOUS AVENUES in which to get involved and actually ACHIEVE CHANGE, not just trying to get attention on a mineman server.

I stand with @Telanir

agree with you on this “free hong kong” gamer garbage but I’m more concerned about political topics relevant to the server that the staff are more likely to take offense to and therefore moderate

lotc, being set in a distant imagined past and simulated on a children’s block game, has a lot of fantasy bigotry, fantasy violence, and impressionable young people who can’t tell the difference between fantasy and reality. I’ve been here long enough to see some legitimately worrying mask slips from people seemingly here to live out irl fantasies of power and violence against other human beings. and I think we should be allowed to confront that instead of adhering to a juvenile “no politics” rule and quietly tolerating it

anyone who complains that LoTC is an “inappropriate medium” for political debate but somehow also thinks it’s an “appropriate medium” to roleplay slavery, genocide, and fantasy simulacra of basically any political topic that is now banned in out of character discussion, is a coward without an argument. this is a community built by creative people and it should not ban people for expressing real world ideas

4 hours ago, YPJgamer1999 said:

agree with you on this “free hong kong” gamer garbage but I’m more concerned about political topics relevant to the server that the staff are more likely to take offense to and therefore moderate

lotc, being set in a distant imagined past and simulated on a children’s block game, has a lot of fantasy bigotry, fantasy violence, and impressionable young people who can’t tell the difference between fantasy and reality. I’ve been here long enough to see some legitimately worrying mask slips from people seemingly here to live out irl fantasies of power and violence against other human beings. and I think we should be allowed to confront that instead of adhering to a juvenile “no politics” rule and quietly tolerating it

anyone who complains that LoTC is an “inappropriate medium” for political debate but somehow also thinks it’s an “appropriate medium” to roleplay slavery, genocide, and fantasy simulacra of basically any political topic that is now banned in out of character discussion, is a coward without an argument. this is a community built by creative people and it should not ban people for expressing real world ideas

And if you want to “confront” them, you can do so in their private messages or on other mediums. LotC does have mature themes, but so does almost EVERY single childhood medium from Call of Duty to Star War. Does this mean that there should be a place I can blog on MW2 about how bad Makarov’s nuke was? No it does not, if I want to talk about the political meaning behind it, I go to an appropriate forum or reddit where that is discussed.

Yes, this server can be platform to very radical views, but if you see someone who is “slipping” into an ideology which you consider unhealthy, then it will always be the most prudent TO PM THEM DIRECTLY AND COMMUNICATE ONE-ON-ONE. Giant, huge forum threads which barely no one reads besides people looking for rep or bickering in OOC will in NO WAY educate them on what is ethical or moral politically or socially. If you do not believe me on this, add me on discord yoppl the tarchar#5195 in which I can give data showing people much more willing to accept a diversity of views when talked to individually over a huge group.

Lastly, as it is education on morals which seems to be your biggest concern, I would suggest instead of having these unmoderated political debates which go NOWHERE but OOC bickering, for LOTC TO ACTIVELY PROMOTE SERVICES AND MEDIUMS where people can read about the issues of slavery, genocide, etc. from generally-accepted third-party sources like PBS or what have you. In fact, I’d much more willing have these so-called radicals go to the actual credible outlets themselves where opinions are better explained and iterated than some kids’ two cents on a mineman server.

4 hours ago, YPJgamer1999 said:

did you really say "let's only roleplay on a roleplay server" was not an argument because... Bad things happen in RP?

I really hope you're memeing because you've literally delineated that roleplay and reality are different things, you've said the medium is a medium for roleplay, youre saying it's a creative community built by creative people.. so we need to care about their political opinions? Lmao. Absolute fatty misnomer and pisses your point up the wall.

Politics in OOC spaces isn't some transcendental topic that possesses some liminal space between RP and OOC, it's strictly political discussions in out-of-character spaces.

You can absolutely have a roleplay server where you can roleplay things while also removing the yawn inducing snotbubble of middle schooler political discourse that's any OOC political discussion. That doesn't infringe on creative liberty and shouldn't reflect on the RP.

If you're uncomfortable with the RP and think it's too extreme, address the RP. Simple as.

12 hours ago, UnBaed said:

fac0037a2ea1e105651a6ef5d31c4dcd.png

get woke go broke, bucko.

seriously though this is ******* comical. “Yes i agree with these political views however racism and homophobia is real and if we have people talking they’ll say homophobia. You’re virtue signalling. Go make a difference.” 

So far, this is quite literally the only event of toxicity related to politics on LoTC I’ve seen in month, and it’s by the ADMIN saying that /other people/ arn’t capable of handling political opinions without screaming the N-word maximum volume. He’s somehow managed to demean and discredit the entire community of diverse opinions all at once while not realizing that this rule change literally only benefits him alone.

2 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

He’s somehow managed to demean and discredit the entire community of diverse opinions all at once while not realizing that this rule change literally only benefits him alone.

He doesn't demean them. He doesn't care about them. This is Minecraft, not your middle school debate club. Go break blocks or something... Damn

3 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

mate if you really don’t care about the topic you could be going and breaking blocks instead of replying to the same thread eight times

lol cuck 

I don't care about your middle school political opinion, I'm just stoking the fire of discourse bc people don't get the point of the rule change yet

4 minutes ago, frill said:

I don't care about your middle school political opinion, I'm just stoking the fire of discourse bc people don't get the point of the rule change yet

the point of the chance is to make lotc more squeak clean and marketable and thinking literally any other opinion is just huffing your own farts. telanir has shown time and time again he cares more about how lotc /looks/ than how lotc actually /is/, like when he’d block out talking about how staff is literally ******* kids.

the point is, it doesn’t matter how many times you scream “YOURE A BUNCH OF MIDDLE SCHOOLERS WITH NO LIFE EXPERIENCE WHO ARNT ACTUALLY AS SMART AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!”, and it also doesn’t matter that it’s /true/. what matters is that a lot of lotc is really against this rule change, myself mostly because it gives another extremely vague and nebulous justification for randomly banning people you don’t like, under the guise of “they’re talking about /mature/ topics”. Telanir being the exact example of what he says is the problem (repeatedly mocking people for their political opinions) is just /funny/ and an example of how not thought out his plans are.

furthermore, replying to everyone saying something contrary to your opinion and going “lol middle school debate club xd” doesn’t make you any more woke than people who actually use lotc as their middle school debate club.

i’m just here because advocating for more rules for a staff team that has shown themselves incapable of responsibly monitoring them is a bad idea, especially with regards to something as harmless as people wanting to discuss current events.

25 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

get woke go broke, bucko.

seriously though this is ******* comical. “Yes i agree with these political views however racism and homophobia is real and if we have people talking they’ll say homophobia. You’re virtue signalling. Go make a difference.” 

So far, this is quite literally the only event of toxicity related to politics on LoTC I’ve seen in month, and it’s by the ADMIN saying that /other people/ arn’t capable of handling political opinions without screaming the N-word maximum volume. He’s somehow managed to demean and discredit the entire community of diverse opinions all at once while not realizing that this rule change literally only benefits him alone.

“This is the warning point you knew was coming.” Lmao I dream of the day Telanir gets removed from staff. 

Spoiler

Funny how he never cared about all of the pedos that were reported to him until it became an outcry on the forums, isn’t it? Even victim blamed in a few of the cases. Even threatened the people who posted it. Don’t forget why Telanir wants to silence people, guys. 

10 minutes ago, LoTC's Next Top Model said:

the point is, it doesn’t matter how many times you scream “YOURE A BUNCH OF MIDDLE SCHOOLERS WITH NO LIFE EXPERIENCE WHO ARNT ACTUALLY AS SMART AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!”, and it also doesn’t matter that it’s /true/. 

furthermore, replying to everyone saying something contrary to your opinion and going “lol middle school debate club xd” doesn’t make you any more woke than people who actually use lotc as their middle school debate club.

guess i touched a nerve and brought up bad memories 4 u ?

11 hours ago, Silverstatik said:

Extensive political discussion

Nothing I have seen on the forums has been extensive.

I think its funny how the server has so many issues but the biggest problem is talking about politics on OOC chat. There’s /chat leave ooc for that, you know :)

Use politician pictures to fight back opression

#FreeHongKong

1 minute ago, Man of Respect said:

I think its funny how the server has so many issues but the biggest problem is talking about politics on OOC chat. There’s /chat leave ooc for that, you know ?

Use politician pictures to fight back opression

#FreeHongKong

Unironically this. I have no greivance with banning political discussion from lotc as long as its a blanket thing. Who cares its not important to the lotc experience. What does bother me is how tone deaf this **** is.

The server has gone through 2 admins recently, both being inactive and incompetent. The Gm team is chronically understaffed and Silverstatik is quite literally pulling his hair out as he does every single job of relevance. The server box can’t handle warclaims. We have no coherent war rules because Telanir fucked them. We have no raid or rescue raid rules. Nation status is still ******* frozen. Noob retention sucks ass. There is no media promotion of the server at all. But you know what’s really ******* important in light of all these issues that cripple the lotc experience. Yeah lets ban political discussion that no one cared about or asked for. Like okay I guess but can we get some rapid responses to our actual server issues?