[Shelved][✓] [CA Race Lore] - Epiphytes

Katherine1

Adding some pictures and changing the font/colour of the text can really drastically change the formatting experience, making it more pleasant to the eye.

4 hours ago, Vermy said:

Adding some pictures and changing the font/colour of the text can really drastically change the formatting experience, making it more pleasant to the eye.

Yeah, the font got slightly mangled in the copy/paste from the Google Doc to here. I'll spend some time cleaning it up and adding images tonight.

EDIT: I lied. I ended up doing the changes in the morning at work. Shush.

Edited by Katherine1

11 hours ago, Katherine1 said:

Every once in a rare while, a seed or spore slips through a fae ring from the fae realm

Key word: seed

21 minutes ago, TheMissleKnowsWhereItIs said:

Key word: seed

Hmm? Could you elaborate on what you are trying to convey?

5 minutes ago, Apostate said:

the return of the bryophyte

let’s hope these won’t be able to get pregnant huh?

An Epiphyte does not give birth. The only “children” they have is the Epiphyte born from the rebirth process.

5 minutes ago, Apostate said:

the return of the bryophyte

let’s hope these won’t be able to get pregnant huh?

It's the first redline under General Redlines/Restrictions. 

57 minutes ago, NightcastorKitty said:

It's the first redline under General Redlines/Restrictions. 

finally a person with a brain

Just had a long discussion with the group this was rewritten with over a topic. Going to end up undoing the change I was noting here.

Personally, I really enjoy this lore piece and I think it is fantastic. I think the rebirth section is oddly beautiful and intriguing in a sense, I believe it would promote some very interesting role-play scenarios. I think this CA is very nice and well balanced, being susceptible to sword slashes and cuts in general is also a neat addition to the design. Being able to travel all over just to plant these seeds, could be a great opportunity to promoting unique role-play in various settlements. Also, the formatting is very well done and the sections are clearly labeled.

One thing that I noticed in the beginning: “...They burn about the same as any well-hydrated plant”, perhaps you can add something about this in the red-lines? I apologize if I accidentally missed another detail on the topic of being flammable, but just for good measure it might be a neat thing to quickly go over. Also a question, if an Epiphyte was theoretically ignited on one portion of its body and happened to survive; Would the process for healing this burnt wound take longer or will it be the same time length as a severed wound? Perhaps the creature ‘sheds’ the burnt portions of its body? Maybe the body grows weak during the healing process? Again, apologies if I accidentally skipped something that is related to this question and idea. Overall, I very much like this lore and it was a pleasant read! I’m not trying to be incredibly critical of the piece since I really do enjoy it, but I hope my feedback helps a little bit. +1

Thanks for the praise! I’m really happy with how the lore turned out ?

See, here’s the thing with flammability. People have it in their head that wood burns really well. Well, no. dry wood burns well. Have you ever tried to burn freshly cut wood that hasn’t had time to dry yet? It really doesn’t want to burn. Enough fire can do it, but by that point, it’s engulfed in flames anyway.

All this is to say that the line is stating that despite them being plants, they don’t have a specific weakness to flame. Fire will burn them a bit, and they’ll eventually catch on fire if engulfed in fire, but so will a human.

The way I think about it is that they are already not that suitable for combat. They don’t gain any combat advantages and they are actually more susceptible to losing a limb in combat than a descendant (doesn’t matter if it will grow back in an RP year, that doesn’t help in the immedate term), so making them go up like they’re dehydrated in the middle of a drought is not necessary to balance them out.

Edited by Katherine1
The quote bugged out. You know who I'm responding to anyway.

[For some reason the quote button will not work for me, but for context I am responding to the comment about flammability from @Katherine1]

Ohh I see what you mean! I understand that the creature is made up of living plant matter with water in its body, so it would make sense that even though it is a bit susceptible to flames it isn’t that intense to be considered a major weakness of the species. I don’t have any further questions or feedback at the moment, but thank you for responding quickly to my comment block haha. Good luck with the lore bud, I’m excited to see actual CA’s sprouting from this lore and seeing them around.

Yeah, it was part of how broken that quote box was. It was also putting an invisible box over half the screen, blocking the quote and edit buttons. I did some css stuff in my browser to get at the edit link so I could remove it, though. All good now ?

EDIT: We are doing some work fluffing up some of the language and clarifying some vague points, so I will be updating the lore when we’ve finished.

EDIT 2: Edits are done for now. There may be more language fluffing later.

EDIT 3: Updated after ST feedback. Removed limb regrowth to squeeze down into a group A creature, supported bonzais to continue supporting existing characters.

Thank you for submitting your Lore Games draft! You will receive input on what needs to be fixed within the next 2 or so weeks.