Pantheon Project Player Input

Zarsies

2 minutes ago, Katherine1 said:

And even then with characters from staff, becoming a patron/god should render the character unplayable to them as well, requiring other staff members to RP them, or else it’s just a path to godhood for the staff.

Agreed.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, Gilded said:

Could you further elaborate on the deities you wish to remove and why it’s your policy to do so?  I think it’s appropriate you explain your reasoning behind this with greater depth.  Also, will we be allowed to deliver input on the deities you’re proposing for removal?

As aforementioned in the post killing deities is for putting lore to bed and (in most cases) starting over. The reasons vary between them but overall it’s for giving deities who could not be salvaged a conclusion and end it there (Asura and Valaen) or use it as a vehicle for a dramatic rewrite from the ground up. In the case of Gazardiael, Aeriel, and Iblees (Metztli to a lesser degree) we wanted to wipe the slate because of extensive histories saturated in abuse and garbage-tier writing that tainted their lore and reputations.

Gazardiael was embroiled in a (very old) highly contentious project called the Mathic Age which never got anywhere and his repeated misuse culminating in the Harvester event line to therein be abandoned and forgotten made him a prime target for a complete restart. Aeriel is in a similar boat in that her long history of lowbrow events, an outdated protagonist mentality, and gaunt lore – and figurehead of LotC’s first days – made her a good candidate for a dramatic change in the universe. The same can be said for Iblees in that his use as a server sponsored antagonist has repeatedly failed and never held nuance or a refined concept; we are leaving behind antiquated notions of good versus evil and light versus dark so deities at the core of that cliche conflict are being succeeded by new faces with new concepts. Their general core concepts will still be present however, as the successors of these dead deities are taking their same mantle (but not necessarily the ‘arch’ prefix which is its own long topic) and will have similar themes but will be distinct from their previous holder.

13 hours ago, Katherine1 said:

Given the Aspects are, in fact, two (plus one “secret”) distinct aengudaemons, how do they fit with these new covenants? Are they a covenant? Are they grouped together under a larger covenant? Are they split between covenants but still working together when it comes to nature? What’s the plan here?

They are all under one covenant.

13 hours ago, MiaKestrel said:

Letting players have the option of becoming a patron or a god is a horrendous idea. You should never allow a player character that kind of power.

The act involves an irreversible PK; it just lets a player have precedence in the theme and ‘character’ of a patron’s lore. It’s goes under normal deity rules wherein IG use has a list of prerequisites for it to happen and the given player is at that point cut from the equation.

13 hours ago, Old-Rattlesnake said:

Inb4 half the ST make their characters gods

If I had to guess it will happen once, maybe twice in the next two years albeit I won’t be shocked if it never happens does.

3 hours ago, Zarsies said:

If I had to guess it will happen once, maybe twice in the next two years albeit I won’t be shocked if it never happens does.

And will said ST/GM/Admin be allowed to continue RPing that character since they’re staff?

1 hour ago, Katherine1 said:

And will said ST/GM/Admin be allowed to continue RPing that character since they’re staff?

As I said they are cut out of the equation after the lore is made. Staff position has no bearing on it and I doubt someone trying to weasel their way into such a situation could get far in today’s climate; it’s not 2011 anymore. 

8 hours ago, Zarsies said:

As aforementioned in the post killing deities is for putting lore to bed and (in most cases) starting over. The reasons vary between them but overall it’s for giving deities who could not be salvaged a conclusion and end it there (Asura and Valaen) or use it as a vehicle for a dramatic rewrite from the ground up. In the case of Gazardiael, Aeriel, and Iblees (Metztli to a lesser degree) we wanted to wipe the slate because of extensive histories saturated in abuse and garbage-tier writing that tainted their lore and reputations.

Gazardiael was embroiled in a (very old) highly contentious project called the Mathic Age which never got anywhere and his repeated misuse culminating in the Harvester event line to therein be abandoned and forgotten made him a prime target for a complete restart. Aeriel is in a similar boat in that her long history of lowbrow events, an outdated protagonist mentality, and gaunt lore – and figurehead of LotC’s first days – made her a good candidate for a dramatic change in the universe. The same can be said for Iblees in that his use as a server sponsored antagonist has repeatedly failed and never held nuance or a refined concept; we are leaving behind antiquated notions of good versus evil and light versus dark so deities at the core of that cliche conflict are being succeeded by new faces with new concepts. Their general core concepts will still be present however, as the successors of these dead deities are taking their same mantle (but not necessarily the ‘arch’ prefix which is its own long topic) and will have similar themes but will be distinct from their previous holder.

But you still haven’t answered my question.  Can we, the player base, have any final input on your decision to kill these deities?  Furthermore, members of the Ascended community have recently been attempting to contact the LT on the discussion of Aeriel and her ultimate fate.  Many of us are well versed in her lore, partly due to complimenting it with our own additions and revisions (e.g. the most recent Ascended rewrite), but statements from the Story Team have either been slow or haven’t come through as of yet.  Will the ST make an active effort to reply and if possible even work with members of the player base to finalize the ultimate fate of these deities? 

4 hours ago, Gilded said:

But you still haven’t answered my question.  Can we, the player base, have any final input on your decision to kill these deities?  Furthermore, members of the Ascended community have recently been attempting to contact the LT on the discussion of Aeriel and her ultimate fate.  Many of us are well versed in her lore, partly due to complimenting it with our own additions and revisions (e.g. the most recent Ascended rewrite), but statements from the Story Team have either been slow or haven’t come through as of yet.  Will the ST make an active effort to reply and if possible even work with members of the player base to finalize the ultimate fate of these deities? 

Lol yeah as soon as I saw your notification my first thought was “I don’t think I answered his question.” Kms sorry. You can always give input on anything. I don’t know who you or the others have been trying to contact but can you relay who? Nothing has come up in the general, manager, or project chats (and if it’s Flam that’s probably why, his PMs are a black hole). I suggest directing them towards myself or @Killmatronix, the other lore manager and we would gladly hear your thoughts on new deities and their patrons being addressed as listed in the OP. The fates of the 6 kills aren’t necessarily negotiable though albeit like how we’ve been treating the other deities with cults we do want to hear people’s ideas for them and see what broader horizons there may be i.e. Aeriel’s successor likely be a fleshed out and expanded Sokar and her 3 bells will become her patrons so if the Ascended have insights or thoughts on, say, the behavior and distinctions of Astaerel, Kibeth, and Saraneth.

I mean killing off Aeriel and Iblees etc. is grand if that’s what you mean, but if you mean retconning them then that means retconning creation lore and all of Aegis so nah to that. 

59 minutes ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

I mean killing off Aeriel and Iblees etc. is grand if that’s what you mean, but if you mean retconning them then that means retconning creation lore and all of Aegis so nah to that. 

They don’t meant retcon. 

I’m asking this more out of personal curiosity than anything but how possible would it be to have a deity that is of neither Aengulic nor Daemonic origin? Specifically what I had in mind was a deity with voidal origin, if not the void itself. We’ve seen so far that it’s certainly capable of producing exceptionally powerful beings worthy of worship.

Asura was brought to a conclusion years ago. I'm not sure why it's brought up again trying to kill off something already gone.

13 hours ago, shoahinsnowyfields said:

No retconning. As I said in the thread there’s a story to explain everything.

3 hours ago, Old-Rattlesnake said:

I’m asking this more out of personal curiosity than anything but how possible would it be to have a deity that is of neither Aengulic nor Daemonic origin? Specifically what I had in mind was a deity with voidal origin, if not the void itself. We’ve seen so far that it’s certainly capable of producing exceptionally powerful beings worthy of worship.

There’s a format for “non-aengudaemonic deity-class” submissions (which you can find here) but there are none at the moment (besides some Voidal behemoths from event use / eluded to IC). That topic is kind of murky because it stretches the definition of deity in the normal aengul and daemon context but yes, it could be a thing.

3 hours ago, NightcastorKitty said:

Asura was brought to a conclusion years ago. I'm not sure why it's brought up again trying to kill off something already gone.

She’s still alive just imprisoned, this just kills her off for good.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, Zarsies said:

No retconning. As I said in the thread there’s a story to explain everything.

I am really glad to hear this and of the changes in general.
I have an Aegis character that I enjoy a lot, but it can be exceedingly hard to play them realistically to the events that occurred. Following Aeriel, because she appeared in person before them while also disliking the ascended and their abandonment from those days is just a single aspect. As they learn of the druids and some of their own beliefs, it smacks into the “how do you treat it when your god appears before you as the only god fighting a singular demon god.” Every time the situation rears its head its a small headache in itself because of how differently things were dealt with then and they are now. 

I am really happy to hear this is being done and that it's being done by someone like you who has been around so long and knows their lore so well. Not to mention the quality of your writing. Love ya zarzar

When the lore is posted will it be auto accepted or can the community have input before its official?