Pantheon Project Player Input

Zarsies

7 hours ago, Demotheus said:

When the lore is posted will it be auto accepted or can the community have input before its official? 

That is now.

14 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

That is now.

Oh! When was the lore posted? 

42 minutes ago, Demotheus said:

Oh! When was the lore posted? 

No I mean your time to give input is now. After this input period, final writing, and ST review (because we don’t pass stuff without checking ourselves first) the lore will be implemented.

Oh. 

But how can I give input on the story and all the other unsaid stuff if it's not public in any form? 

The pantheons being hamfisted into five five factions seems kind of clunky. Kind of reminds me of the four nations in Avatar or something. For the purposes of organic RP I think it could make things really bland if reasons for conflict become ‘for muh house’. You’ll end up having folks make characters to conform to the house rather than having any personal motivation, which will lead to lack of variety in backstories and lack of depth in decisions made in game.

In an effort to simplify the lore and clean up loose ends you’d essentially be making things black and white, which would be my main concern. They’re interesting ideas of course and there’s always an opportunity for good stories to be had, from anything, but I’m skeptical in the general application for this concept.

Perhabs, this could be a good opportunity to turn things towards a low fantasy/exceptional magic direction instead. Where rather than having these pantheons and creating a replacement immediately after the vacuum occurs, you let the players figure it out for themselves in RP and in lore suggestions and posts while they live in a world without gods for a while. You can maintain the plan for putting to rest who you want to put to rest and simply have the explanation be there was an astral war that for once didn’t intersect with the mortal plane. The established gods needed all of their power to fight and consequently it became absent in the player world. The victors of this conflict eventually reveal themselves again after recovering from the conflict.

Magic has taken a front seat and has made a lot of things bland in RP for a while, mainly due to its abundance, in almost every respect. Rather than expanding upon a storyline or being the catalyst to something it instead shuts everything down on small scale player to player interactions normally.

While I understand you guys need to keep folks happy, and you need to do things one step at a time, I personally see the benefit in working towards a less magical player world so that other appealing avenues of RP can have their time in the sun more frequently. Encouraging creativity, making more personal conflicts, and to that extent making people feel less safe when they are in a conflict. Because they’re normal. They can die, they don’t have any trump cards unless they made the necessary preparations by interacting with other players to make their odds more favorable. It’ll be a lonelier world without gods or magic that’s as abundant, but expanding from an actual foundation rather than remodeling would be more ideal in general if the objective is to clean up stuff.

Do it, dooooo it. Destroy all magic. Let the players make their own pantheons, see what they do, and perhaps consider rewarding players who ‘have faith’ in the future, the far future, for contributing to the game world by having this faith in their absent deities and providing that atmosphere without any immediate or direct reward. Not because they’ll get something, but because they want to rp that stuff.

It’ll make whatever lore that does come into existence later much more grounded, possibly sensible, but more important alive. Not five random houses.

7 hours ago, CosmicWhaleShark said:

In an effort to simplify the lore and clean up loose ends you’d essentially be making things black and white, which would be my main concern. They’re interesting ideas of course and there’s always an opportunity for good stories to be had, from anything, but I’m skeptical in the general application for this concept.

It’ll make whatever lore that does come into existence later much more grounded, possibly sensible, but more important alive. Not five random houses.

It’s essentially a directive being pushed by Flamboyant, there are definitely LT on the team that share your own concerns and ideas about the houses. Yet it’s being pushed because you always gotta follow the bigwig

4 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

It’s essentially a directive being pushed by Flamboyant, there are definitely LT on the team that share your own concerns and ideas about the houses. Yet it’s being pushed because you always gotta follow the bigwig

dont speak for me bro 

I am not working on the pantheon project but I like all written so far and the direction. I really appreciate the feedback given by players and the response by Zarsies. It’s good to see constructive criticism and receptive feedback, I really appreciate it. I really have enjoyed your writing, particularly with Vaasek’s lorepost. However, I do believe there can be “offshoots” or “independants” from houses that prefer to work alone or independently.

I aswell think Covenants should be rather mysterious in how they work in some cases. I don’t want it to be common knowledge how certain gods work or what their goal is. They’re gods, and understand things and look at things in a far different way than we do- we shouldn’t be able to easily interpret the goal or meaning behind something. It opens up writing to be exceptionally more creative and interesting other than “THIS COVENANT GOOD, THIS ONE BAD, THIS ONE BAD BUT RED” etc..

20 hours ago, Demotheus said:

Oh. 

But how can I give input on the story and all the other unsaid stuff if it's not public in any form? 

We’re asking for input on what players would like to see for the gods and their patrons e.g. if someone thinks Malchediael should be a patron rather than an aengul they voice such to us and we consider it in the rewrite.

6 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

I aswell think Covenants should be rather mysterious in how they work in some cases. I don’t want it to be common knowledge how certain gods work or what their goal is. They’re gods, and understand things and look at things in a far different way than we do- we shouldn’t be able to easily interpret the goal or meaning behind something. It opens up writing to be exceptionally more creative and interesting other than “THIS COVENANT GOOD, THIS ONE BAD, THIS ONE BAD BUT RED” etc..

You realize that’s not going to happen though right? It’ll come down to the information the LT releases for public consumption and how much certain people decide to metagame. With divine rp everyone wants to be the one who’s closest to the god, because that’s equivalent to power. If you want things to be mysterious then don’t hand feed something like five pre-established pantheons in the first place. I fail to see how this will solve anything or produce the desired outcome because you’re essentially exchanging names. Supervision on this lore might be adequate the first few months but you wouldn’t really be solving anything because like with Aeriel the issues stemming from divine magics is the players themselves. 

It would be far more feasible to have players enter into those conflicts themselves, propaganda and ignorance being the main source of differences between types of worship and to which gods, no side being inherently good nor inherently bad. Some religions that develop perhaps going to an extreme and taking on cultist characteristics but because there’s no present gods for the time you have no definitive answer as to what’s good or bad generally speaking. 

If you create lore for something that has no presence in the current game world and players aren’t able to figure things out, that’s on you. That’s boring. If you leave things open ended and expect people to fill in the blanks so long as it conforms to the five houses, that leads to the current mess you’re trying to address. You’re even allowing for things to filter outside these five houses before the concept even launches which really only indicates the flaws in the concept already.

I’d really recommend approaching this differently. Players will never go along with a plan that you have for them, ever, it’s a law of roleplay. You guys are essentially DMing so you have to account for this. 

You can make a lot less work for yourself if you go ahead with the original plan and have the players fill in the blanks from scratch. Not trying to find solutions in a ‘mysterious’ new set of religious rules that quite literally came from no where in the currently played game world. 

Edited by CosmicWhaleShark