Moderating Conflict & When Do I File A Modreq

Telanir

Moderating Conflict

A return to player-centric moderation | Dec. 2nd, 2019

Hello everyone,

We’re updating the way we moderate disagreements within server gameplay. Gradually, we are going to encourage players to resolve disagreements among each other and file reports if all else fails. This, rather than relying on heated on-site conflict moderation, will help us rebuild our roots and shift our perspective to civility and understanding.

What does this mean for me?

Eventually, you will encounter a scenario where you stand in-conflict with another player. This is natural (even inevitable)! In the old system, this is where you’d reach for the /modreq trigger—but, in the new system, these are the options for you:

1. Find a way to compromise and resolve the issue with your fellow roleplayer.
  2. If you can’t reach a compromise then bring the scenario to a conclusion together.
    • Don’t pause roleplay since that impedes the flow of storytelling which would otherwise make for an engaging experience.
  3. If you are still unsatisfied, compile evidence and file a respectful and civil report.

Moderators are being instructed to encourage players to resolve these issues among each other. For problems beyond “conflict” like no-rp killing, pugsy, and other significant rulebreaking which can be banned on-the-spot, please file a ticket immediately.

Why make this change?

If you are interested in reading the lengthy why, keep reading to know our thoughts as a team.

Over the years, reports became largely popularity and spite driven rather than tools to improve the server. As a result, we as a community began to distrust and disregard them and they became both underused and misused. Instead, we favoured on-site mediation. This is the kind of moderation you call upon via a ticket or messaging your favourite moderator.

On-site moderation is inefficient and challenging, leading to uninformed, biased, and chaotic decisions. Worse, it is unpredictable since no two moderators interpret the rules the same way and will handle situations inconsistently.

The current meta for winning means exercising theatrical fury to distress and bend another person to your will. You, reading this, may not be someone who does this but you likely know a person who does. I believe mineman is not the place for sputtering and vitriolic rage and it is hard to punish because the moderator will only earn more of it.

The first step is to stop using this broken and rigged system. This baby-service, as we know it, rewards petulance and toxicity.

Consider the Full Story

Tickets, especially during a hot-tempered encounter, naturally dramatize and mislead. It’s too easy for a moderator to hunker down in 45 minutes of listening to storytelling that makes swiss-cheese look solid. Eventually the moderator must make a “fair” judgement based on incomplete data under heavy pressure and profanity. In the end, we put them in a tough spot which makes them easy to vilify.

This is why we need reports: because complicated and controversial situations rarely have an obvious solution. Reports allow us to consider the full information without the pressure to make time-sensitive decisions. Both sides can provide the full evidence/logs. And also, we get to be transparent and communicate as a staff. We can share our full thoughts behind our verdict and players can see the full event, start-to-finish.

Impossible Moderation Made Possible Again

Certain scenarios such as metagaming are not possible to effectively moderate on-site (particularly if the staff member was not there to witness the incident). Because of the general switch to /modreq conflict resolution in-game we’ve given players affected by these scenarios no adequate recourse. The attending moderator is forced to work through several or even dozens of pages worth of logs on the spot and in a rush, so that the roleplay can resume.
Throughout this process, sound judgement with all proper evidence from all sides is made almost impossible.

Community-Driven Moderation

The best expert to ask on how you love the LotC experience is the community. If a situation is serious enough to be reported then this informs us as a staff which problems need solving.

Relearning how to compromise and resolve situations privately is a skill that we have painfully lost and must challenge ourselves to regain once again.

lol some things need to be resolved quickly and not 2 weeks later

7 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Find a way to compromise and resolve the issue with your fellow roleplayer

see u would really think this is common sense but nope welcome to LOTC the world’s number 1 Minecraft roleplaying server

players specifically refuse to work with other players until a GM forces them to so they can stall situations out as long as they can to prevent losing – removing the authoratative figure that says yes or no to conclude this argument will mean nothing will ever be achieved on the server ever

i have been saying this for months, but systematically removing the GM team’s responsibilites until they do nothing at all on the server is such an awful idea

this is really dumb

OBVIOUSLY in an ideal world you only file a modreq as a last resort like this isn’t news and we don’t need you to tell us that but once again you’re ignoring the actual pratical reality and dealing with problems in a meaningful way in favour of ideological grandstanding

I think this is genuinely fine. BUT when we put up reports they need to be handled quickly and rule breakers need to be punished. Slap around a few powergaming / meta gaming bans 1 week or so and this stuff should start regulating itself. Staff can’t ***** out of reports if this is the play.

I thought this post would advocate for players in the PVP community to come out and apply for conflict moderation, have a new bright bunch of people to support us in conflict. I barely post on threads like these but: sadly, no two people really wish to make compromises and fix the root of the issue by themselves. There may be the select few who will, the others usually go straight to a moderator. 

in other words, this is changing literally nothing. People will still modreq and make a report with evidence, this thread is just a lengthy way to say: “hey guys can we pls be kind 2 each other when dealing with disagreements during conflict. maybe we can be friends n make a conclusion”. I still like the idea of filing a report, but this can already be done. [most of the time during conflict, though, nobody files a report. They just message a moderator and get it instantly dealt with].

we used to have people called global moderators who resolved player conflicts

3 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

this is really dumb

OBVIOUSLY in an ideal world you only file a modreq as a last resort like this isn’t news and we don’t need you to tell us that but once again you’re ignoring the actual pratical reality and dealing with problems in a meaningful way in favour of ideological grandstanding

This post is really just hot air

people bitched about the forum stuff and even though a lot of the enforcing staff are dumber than rocks there has been a noticeable change in forum conduct. This might be rough initially but could be a valuable step in taking lotc back to its roots. 

Just now, Narthok said:

I think this is genuinely fine. BUT when we put up reports they need to be handled quickly and rule breakers need to be punished. Slap around a few powergaming / meta gaming bans 1 week or so and this stuff should start regulating itself. Staff can’t ***** out of reports if this is the play.

this isnt fine at all lmao 

have you not seen how many players just get in conflict then say ‘im waiting for a mod XD’ and waste everyones time for 30 minutes?

im just gonna tell people i dont want to co-operate and go about playing for 2 more weeks before the gm team claim the report on me XDDDDDDDDDDD

1 minute ago, YPJgamer1999 said:

we used to have people called global moderators who resolved player conflicts

MODS DO NOTHING THEY LEGIT DONT MODERATE PVP, RP, ISSUES ANYTHING THEY DO NOTHING

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

players specifically refuse to work with other players until a GM forces them to so they can stall situations out as long as they can to prevent losing – removing the authoratative figure that says yes or no to conclude this argument will mean nothing will ever be achieved on the server ever

i have been saying this for months, but systematically removing the GM team’s responsibilites until they do nothing at all on the server is such an awful idea

The primary way players stall in the first place is by using the excuse that they are waiting for a mod. Throwing up a /modreq when something isn’t going your way is the easiest way to lawyer the rules on the server, and has bred the worst possible culture for conflict to date. In this system, you are expected to wrap things up on your own, deal with the consequences after.

It is unfair, and I think downright inefficient, to throw a Mod into a situation half way through and demand they solve it on a whim. How these things usually play out is detailed in the OP; each side immediately launches a barrage of information, the Mod has to scan through pages of logs, and ultimately conflict boils over for 30 minutes waiting for a result. It’s a bad culture, and I think one that depends on Mods to nanny situations that otherwise can be solved after the fact, when people have cooler heads and all the evidence is collected.

Just now, Harrison said:

this isnt fine at all lmao 

have you not seen how many players just get in conflict then say ‘im waiting for a mod XD’ and waste everyones time for 30 minutes?

im just gonna tell people i dont want to co-operate and go about playing for 2 more weeks before the gm team claim the report on me XDDDDDDDDDDD

MODS DO NOTHING THEY LEGIT DONT MODERATE PVP, RP, ISSUES ANYTHING THEY DO NOTHING

you know why they don’t? I was told there’s currently 0 conflict moderators so you have all the RP mods dealing with conflict. (Telanir confirmed in-game that there are 0 conflict moderators currently). 

1 minute ago, Hunwald said:

The primary way players stall in the first place is by using the excuse that they are waiting for a mod. Throwing up a /modreq when something isn’t going your way is the easiest way to lawyer the rules on the server, and has bred the worst possible culture for conflict to date. In this system, you are expected to wrap things up on your own, deal with the consequences after.

It is unfair, and I think downright inefficient, to throw a Mod into a situation half way through and demand they solve it on a whim. How these things usually play out is detailed in the OP; each side immediately launches a barrage of information, the Mod has to scan through pages of logs, and ultimately conflict boils over for 30 minutes waiting for a result. It’s a bad culture, and I think one that depends on Mods to nanny situations that otherwise can be solved after the fact, when people have cooler heads and all the evidence is collected.

you signed up to solve issues on the server as a mod and you have the tools to quickly find out about a situation halfway through wtf are you even talking about man

5 minutes ago, Hunwald said:

heavy lies the crown...

Seriously though, now what’s going to happen is conflicts will boil over for hours with no resolution. They’ll end in reports that stew for weeks longer where players get banned over issues that could have been resolved by a 30 minute moderator decision. I can’t imagine why we’d pressure the community to be more litigious than it already is.

Just because something is hard doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing.

2 minutes ago, Hunwald said:

I cant wait to get kidnapped from another nation tile by a raid group over the cap and get killed irp, pk, then see them punished 2 months later for rule breaking, if at all because I’m not a fan of BRs :3