[✓] [Invention Lore] Basic Springs

Reece Nolan

Description

A basic spring consists of a steel wire which has been bent around into a helical or coiled shape using methods either done by hand or forged into said shape. In order to achieve spring quality steel, one must create quenched and tempered steel or any variant as strong or stronger than the above mentioned quality of steel. By strengthening the steel, one may make it resilient enough to bend and then “spring” back into its original shape with a force that varies dependent on the stiffness of the steel as well as the thickness of the steel. Because springs wear out easily, they may have a few uses before they begin to buckle from the pressure of repeatedly compressed and decompressed, however this negative would likely be outweighed by the many more positive applications of this invention. The simple explanation for how a spring functions is that when force is applied to it, it will throw some of said force back out once the compressing outside pressure is released. Creating springs from other metals could be considered, but is likely impossible without the usage of alloys. Unfortunately, due to the limitations in the size of tools and technology, the smallest effective size of a spring possible of being made would be little under an inch tall and half an inch in width. 

Capabilities

Whilst the humble spring has a plethora of potential applications, there are a limited number of practical uses that the basic spring can be used for. By attempting to create a spring out of a mundane steel, one might find they have made what is known as a slinky. Due to the far lesser stiffness of normal steel compared to that of spring grade steel, the thin design of a helical spring can still distribute force evenly, but it fails to measure up when faced with compression. Little more than an oddly shaped wire, the slinky could be quite entertaining when pushed down a set of stairs as it consistently carries the force applied to it from end to end. In terms of the aforementioned practical uses of the spring, one could make a shock absorption pad to prevent doors from damaging walls when flung open. In terms of the niche combat role that it could fill, one could find a spring implemented into their crossbow to increase the force without increasing the recoil. Spring loaded mechanisms and other complex machinery may be a bit too far away from our grasp, but the usage of a basic spring is a game changer in some fields of work or even in daily life.

Restrictions

As mentioned previously, tiny springs smaller than an inch in height and half an inch in width is simply not possible given the current tools and technological limits of this day and age. In order to even begin making a spring one must know how to refine or reinforce steel, as well as be knowledgeable in the handling of steel. Due to the sheer power of creations that could be made using the spring, it is recommended that one must apply via the forums in order to use springs in their role play. Springs also have a small number of uses before they break due to their relatively new discovery lending them not much research in the way of making them better. The smaller the spring, the sooner it breaks.

Purpose

By adding springs, this pushes the tech limit slightly further without exploding into an era of industrial revolution or clockwork nightmares. Springs in their simplest form bring what no other lore piece can really bring to the table for the time being, and that’s collective progression, not just in terms of per say the invention of a gate, but more along the terms of the lightbulb. It lays the groundwork for others to be built upon. One could not simply invent the lightbulb and then suddenly have efficient means to power it as we do with switches now. When the lightbulb was invented it took time for it to become completely practical in every day life, because not everyone has stable electricity, and some even still used torches or candles to light their way despite the superior product existing. By adding the spring, we aren’t thrust into a new time, but we have a sense of general progression that could not be achieved otherwise.

I donno which ST staff told you it doesn’t exist... but I’ve seen goblins and tinkerers making springs for almost as long as tinkering existed..

31 minutes ago, Parker said:

clockwork exists : )

26 minutes ago, Language said:

I donno which ST staff told you it doesn’t exist... but I’ve seen goblins and tinkerers making springs for almost as long as tinkering existed..

14 minutes ago, Rickson said:

springs exist, my animati is full of ‘em

sorry that this new information sprung upon you so suddenly.

((Im not toxic I swear))

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.

This Lore has been accepted, springs are fine at the moment, but I want to note that if you’re using it for anything gamechanging (e.g. creating a whole new type of crossbow) you still need to submit lore for it.