Sign in to follow this  
frill

The Pontifical Enthronement of 1745

Spoiler

The Pontifical Enthronement of 1745

8th of Godfrey’s Triumph, 1745.

[!] When the sun had moved past the horizon to break into morning, a procession of beadles and priests was carried to the Basilica of the Final Revelation.

The chirping of birds which saturated the cool morning air of Helena briefly paused as bells soon began to toll throughout the city. As many outside were alerted of a change by the tolling of the bells, the great doors of the Basilica of the Final Revelation were cast open for all to see.

The procession soon moved into the sanctuary, with Jasper Cardinal Renzfeld aside the altar.

Standing aside the Pontiff-Elect, Cardinal Renzfeld begins the Prayer of Penitence. He calls out,

"Almighty and most merciful Creator,

we have wandered and strayed from your ways

like lost sheep.

We have followed too much the devices and desires

of our own hearts.

We have offended against your holy laws.

We have left undone those things

that we ought to have done;

and we have done those things

that we ought not to have done;

and there is no health in us.

But you, O Lord, have mercy upon us sinners.

Spare those who confess their faults.

Restore those who are penitent,

according to your promises declared to mankind

in Horen our Lord.

And grant, O most merciful Creator, for his sake,

that we may live a disciplined, righteous and godly life,

to the glory of your holy name.

So say we all."

It is now that Ide Cardinal Ves faces the amassed clergy, himself bearing an immaculate white frock as per the custom of Pontiffs of centuries past.

The Cardinal Renzfeld continued; “With the Lord Creator our witness and guide, it has been divined that the Cardinal Ide of Ves, born Eidr al-Haraqqa, has been willed to fulfill the seat of the Church Pontificate. Do you heed the call of Our Creator to bear this vocation?

“I do so believe.”

“You have been ordained in our church, your household names forsaken and your life devoted in sole service to the teachings of our Creator. The vows of your past vocations remain firm; now you must make the declaration of assent.”

The cardinal then reads the Assent, preserved from years past.

“The Church of Faithful is the One, Holy and Rightful Church of the Creator , worshiping the one true God, The Creator. It professes the faith uniquely revealed in the Holy Scrolls and set forth in the Faithful creeds, which faith the Church is called upon to proclaim afresh in each generation. Led by the Holy Light, it has borne witness to Faithful truth in its historic formulates, the Articles of Faith, The Book of Saints. In the declaration you are about to make, will you affirm your loyalty to this inheritance of faith as your inspiration and guidance under God in bringing the grace and truth of Horen to this generation and making Him known to those in your care?”

“I, Ide of Ves, do so affirm, and accordingly declare my belief in the faith which is revealed in the Holy Scrolls and set forth in the Faithful creeds and to which the historic formularies of the Church of The Creator bear witness; and in public prayer and administration of the sacraments, I will use only the forms of service which are authorized or allowed by Canon.” replies Ide.

Do you accept the Holy Scrolls as revealing all things necessary for eternal salvation through faith?

"I do so accept them."

"Will you be diligent in prayer, in reading Holy Scrolls, and in all studies that will deepen your faith and fit you to bear witness to the truth of the Word?"

"By the help of God, I will."

"Will you lead your people in proclaiming the glorious Word of Horen, so that the good news of salvation may be heard in every place?"

"Will you teach the doctrine of Horen as the Church of Faith has received it, will you refute error, and will you hand on entire the faith that is entrusted to you?"

"Will you be faithful in ordaining and commissioning ministers of the Church?"

Will you be gentle and merciful for Horen’s sake to those who are in need, and speak for those who have no other to speak for them?

"Will you endeavor to fashion your own life and that of your household according to the way of God and make your home a place of hospitality and welcome?"

"Will you work with your fellow servants in the Church for the sake of the kingdom of God?"

"Will you accept the discipline of this Church, exercising authority with justice, courtesy and love, and always holding before you the example of Horen?"

"Will you then, in the strength of the Holy Light, continually stir up the gift of God that is in you, that the good news of God may be proclaimed in all the Realm?"

"By the help of God, I will.""

"Speak thus then the oath of the Pontificate, with the conclave and God as witness."

"I vow to change nothing of the received Tradition, and nothing thereof I have found before me guarded by my God-pleasing predecessors, to encroach upon, to alter, or to permit any innovation therein; To the contrary: with glowing affection as her truly faithful student and successor, to safeguard reverently the passed-on good, with my whole strength and utmost effort;

To cleanse all that is in contradiction to the canonical order, should such appear; to guard the Holy Canons and Decrees of our Saints and Pontiffs as if they were the divine ordinance of Heaven, because I am conscious of Thee, whose place I take through the Grace of God, whose Vicarship I possess with Thy support, being subject to severest accounting before Thy Divine Tribunal over all that I shall confess;

I swear to God Almighty and the Favored son Horen that I will keep whatever has been revealed through Horen and His Successors and whatever the Saints and my predecessors have defined and declared.

I will keep without sacrifice to itself the discipline and the rite of the Church. I will put outside the Church whoever dares to go against this oath, may it be somebody else or I.

If I should undertake to act in anything of contrary sense, or should permit that it will be executed, Thou willst not be merciful to me on the dreadful Day of Divine Justice.

Accordingly, without exclusion, We subject to severest excommunication anyone -- be it Ourselves or be it another -- who would dare to undertake anything new in contradiction to this constituted Tradition and the purity of the Faith and the Faithful religion, or would seek to change anything by his opposing efforts, or would agree with those who undertake such a blasphemous venture."

As his oath come to close, Jasper washes the face of Ide and anoints his forehead with scented oils.

"Cleansed of worldly taint, you are reborn in the Creator's vision. Your heart blessed in the eternal compassion and truth of Horen; your soul aflame with the benevolent justice and fervor of Owyn; your body awash with the incredulous miracles and charisma of Godfrey; your mind attuned to the unworldly wisdom and vigor of Sigismund."

Cardinal Renzfeld then garbs the anointed in the pontifical cloth, and bestows the pontifical ferula.

"By this you are known to all as preserver of truths and lord spiritual."

Cardinal Renzfeld then retrieves the ring of St. Lucien, before sliding it upon the right ring finger of the anointed, and afterward, takes the pontifical mitre and rests it upon his brow.

"I announce to you a great joy:

We have a High Pontiff!

The Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lord,

Ide of Ves. High Pontiff of the Canonist Faith

who takes to himself the name PONTIAN III."

T1ypeun301iQ3SEcE4dCLQ4jyN5xh4qBOagSm3UrQQjatrh95z4Ad6ZejUOulAhsrw2o6LQNUtkE0gYMEgP7KRUEh1LWG4nzy3Yb_zAt8_WEmyIAiyHELA6sObIoFQKEsq3gTumA

“Ahhh little man..” a peasant would chirp from the wood works.

@frill

The Duke of Westmark would send a letter to the new High Pontiff:

"Your Holiness,

I want to personally congratulate you for your election as High Pontiff of the Church of the Canon.

I hope that under your rule, you teach the world that God does not only care for Oren but for all mankind, including the independent kingdoms that aren't part of the Holy Orenian Empire.

That's all I have to say at the moment, but I hope we can talk in person in the future.

Regards,

HIS GRACE, Alexander of the House of Merentel, Duke of Westmark, Count of Alannor and Baron of Hallowfell"

Simon’s pride was plain on his face as he bore witness to his once patron’s ascent to white. He was not a zealous man, but he was well-read to know in that moment, the legend of Eidr Harraqa could not be forgotten – the Rassidi emigres who rose to be named Vicar of God.

The mystic Tarcharman, who remained in solitude and in meditation within a dark, unnamed cave deep within the northern reaches of Nenzing, would hear of the Rassidi’s accession perchance when visiting the local village of Kaloker to refill his stocks of candle wax. Though such news did not move him to returning to the world-at-large, he would still give congratulatory prayer in honor of the newly-anointed Pontian Tertius in the town square, before returning to his self-imposed seclusion and exile.