[Report] The Topic of 1.14

MeteorDragon

Hello all! I’m Meteor from the Community team and I’m currently working on a report about the topic of 1.14 on the server.

I would like your input on this subject. To do this, I’d like you to answer the questions below:

How do you feel about 1.14 on LOTC?

Do you think 1.14 has benefits on the server? If so, what?

Do you think 1.14 has brought problems to the server? If so, what?

If there is an issue with this, how do you think it could be solved?

And finally, if you have any extra input then you may put it here!

I thank you for your participation and please send others a link to this Report. I will be collecting all the info on the 12th at the earliest and compiling it into a google doc. If you wish to provide information Anonymously, then feel free to PM me at Meteor Dragon#8579

Buff beat you to the punch already, read his thread here. It summarizes our feelings on this, and politely, I'd like to also tell you that you need to format these surveys better. Perhaps make a strawpoll with options or a Google Survey form? This format you chose seems really unproductive. 

y’all broke the server, we can’t go back to 1.13.2 without losing Arcas, y’all fix it.

5 minutes ago, Mumkey said:

Buff beat you to the punch already, read his thread here. It summarizes our feelings on this, and politely, I'd like to also tell you that you need to format these surveys better. Perhaps make a strawpoll with options or a Google Survey form? This format you chose seems really unproductive. 

Imma be honest, didnt read that one and it got pointed out to me just a bit ago

I like the new block additions, as well as new mobs.

Well, the benefit is now everyone has foxes, and the mob spawning more frequently is nice.

I don’t  like how the chunks are not loading well..

Maybe manually set the serverload to medium, and disable some plugins..

Like /horsestats (people can just use a manual timer.)

The Trails thingy with the VIP, it’s useless
The /hat thingy

/pty

Maybe MyPets but I really think that would cause too much of a conniption

The new blocks like grindstones and lecterns really enrich set-building for cities and smaller builds like homes etc. Lanterns are also lovely, really enjoying redecorating with them, like suspending them from iron bars from the ceiling. Some lovely stuff in 1.14

See above

I think we could have waited another 6 months to a year for an update of the server’s minecraft version, if it meant having a much more stable experience. I’ve heard that “the devs are fixing the issues” from some staff, and from other sources I’ve heard that this is a fundamental issue with 1.14 as being horrifically optimised for servers. Why someone made decision to update to 1.14 is therefore beyond me, like I legitimately don’t know what they were thinking.

In future we should avoid chasing after minecraft updates because using 1.13 potentially makes the server look “old and oudated” or whatever concerns were supposedly being addressed by updating. As it stands right now, yes we’re in 1.14 and it makes the server look maintained to new players, but when a new player gets onto the server it’s not a welcoming experience to have to stand on the road waiting for chunks to load. Like it’s an actual ******* joke.

Stop doing **** to “look busy,” and just do what needs to be done

I think a lot of folks would agree with me that’s its better to stay in an out-of-date, yet stable version of minecraft. For the first time in like a fuckin’ year we’ve finally got MPM that works on LoTC and it’s incredibly vital to a lot of RP communities. Halflings should be smol, god ******* damn it.

Send us back to 1.7.10 with Nexus professions

1.15 is literally tomorrow. Most of these issues to any who’ve looked into it – are generated by Mojang’s poor work with 1.14 and 1.15 is primarily a bug fixing update which aims to remedy all the problems 1.14 brought on.

Let the Lord of the Craft Team update to 1.15 which is supposedly going to fix all these issues with the Minecraft client. (Mojang’s claim, not mine.)

I can imagine Llir and the Dev Team have poured a lot of time and effort into the feat that was moving from 1.13 to 1.14, if I were them I’d hate to see that go to waste. I’d rather give them the opportunity to see if 1.15 fixes the issues plaguing Minecraft and thus Lord of the Craft, if not – let’s go back.

As with most things, I think it genuinely has potential. Obviously as it stands, things aren’t going the right way and LotC was converted without a proper risk assessment as to what could go wrong. I’ve already heard that a To-Do List was made before 1.14 was launched on LotC but it was prematurely done without proper oversight into future problems.

I think it could bring benefits, it has brought benefits but it would only be efficient if the server actually worked like it is supposed to. The addition of barrels, campfires, lanterns, and crossbows I think would be the most notable (reading through Aethling’s post I would also like to add grindstones lmao), but with a server that has difficulty rendering chunks the new additions don’t really matter.

Other than the blatant rendering problems, balancing. The devs are going to need to come up with some way to limit the amount of crossbows that someone can have in their inventory because if there is something that could be abused, it’s almost a given that it will be. It’s human nature to find ways to get an advantage on others.

I’m not a developer on LotC so I have no clue what goes on in the behind the scenes, but I see that the safest way is to revert until the problems have been worked on and then the conversion can try again, potentially to 1.15 even. However, my experience of situations like this tells me that most people are going to have people talking smack about the Devs and Telanir on how they can’t do their job of trying to update to 1.14.

In the mean time, I’m going to use this post as an opportunity to suggest this texture pack that gives a 3D model to lanterns in your hotbar because I feel that it could be very useful if lots of people were using it.

Have we been told why we updated to 1.14 at all, apart from keeping the server appearing ‘maintained’? 
The staff have a horrible issue of making decisions but leaving the general playerbase in the dark. We just want to know what’s going on, and the rationale behind the decision. Maybe then we could sympathize with the developers. 
I don’t really think anyone was complaining about 1.13? In fact, we had just gotten an updated version of More Player Models, which plenty of people were looking forward to. 

I like 1.14 though I hate the current issues we’re having with the render distance bug thing, and the lag. Another thing is something @AndrewTech has mentioned which is we really need to get this current war over with. The reasoning behind that is because the war itself is already very toxic at times, it’s boring, and it just needs to end altogether for the servers sake so people can walk on roads without being halted, captured, or killed as well as being tired with the OOC stuff and I just wanna roleplay peacefully. Lastly, I am open to returning to 1.13 until the issues are fixed because I kinda wanna play LoTC again it’s just I can’t right now due to the fact that I literally cannot go to my place due to the render issues.

Edited by Legoboy7984