[✗] [Magic Lore] - Arcanism: Masters of Potential

IsaaKc

On 12/22/2019 at 9:00 PM, Starfelt said:

I’m not a huge fan of the fact that the main iconic spell for arcane shielding is locked away behind the 2 slot stuff.. that would be my only criticism. It only leaves 2-3 shield type spells for a mage using the magic at a one slot level.. 

Also, I’d make a list of all the spells at the end, with the stars. The last one is just a list without any stars, so its hard to tell how many spells are actually gonna be available for each version.

I initially wasn't a fan of making the magic 2 slots. I only grew on it when I realized that locking the more powerful and iconic spells behind 2 slots would discourage things like min-maxing, and from an RP standpoint, show that Arcanists using the more volatile and high tier spells would establish the dedication they put into the magic.

On 1/2/2020 at 3:10 AM, Tato said:

A truly decent job on the rewrite; not so foul and fulfilling of the cliche Wizard’s niche, and yet flavoured with mostly open and welcoming curiousities for the arcane. Not surprised to see the two honey dippers tacked on the end, though.

A few minor and subjective gripes, though:

- Make the teacher application require two slots be taken. The passing of a mystical art should only be done by one with mastery of such form, else it must be poorly had, and cheaply given.

- Arcane beams, to me, have always been tacky and a questionable part of Arcanism; though that means that to many, it is an admired staple. You begin to the sentence with a phrase to soften the hard-hitting ability, ”may be the finishing spell to a fight” - which puts the idea of it being used once they’ve near already won, and makes it seem more acceptable. I can see that being the case... at the start of the fight. I can see someone hiding on the roof casting this one unsuspecting, or arriving to a homestead to cast it through the doorway. While not totally unacceptable, though totally do-able with any other spell from any other magic, it puts a bad taste to the blatant power of it. I believe you should clarify the effect of distance on the beam, and make it have a large, diminishing impact on the power of the spell. At that, decide that the ‘crushing’ part is only if the victim is pressed to a surface within a certain, acceptable range (ie. 3-4 meters?) to counter someone 7-9 blocks away being squished by a bug. Further continuing from the prior, someone being pushed 7-9 blocks may end up within the beam again – resulting in them being further pushed back. Therefore, I think you should limit the effective distance of the beam to somewhere between 6-10 blocks (though diminishing between the beginning and such an end), and what may be a minor bit further is naught more effective than the arcane missile.

- Arcane rays feel similar in genre to arcane beams, with the distasteful surprise (there may be appropriate times in which pre-charging could be acceptable) which sours the ability. They should fall no differently than rocks, at the speed of gravity – not crossbow bolts. You’ve not clarified: is there a range from the caster that it can be called down from? Is there a timeframe/approximate amount that fall – or must that be disregarded, for if any are within, they are sure to be harmed within an instant? I imagine an immense pressure falling atop a target’s head would be rather crippling to more than just halflings. If a brick drops on my head, I drop dead on the ground.

- Arcane colossal shield is cool in the theoretical, and okay-ish for significant scenarios; I can see the appeal of a large feat, but I think such a feat is diluted by the possibility of a singular mage doing such (and is a pedestal simply waiting for its heroic character!). You nearly did it-  but it should be completely a multi-mage spell.

Again, I do quite like it. The title had me excited for an emphasis on potentia conjured from the void, though it wasn't quite.

edit: also change the fuckin background. its the same on literally every void magic piece and its ******* gross

First of all, I wanna say thanks for providing well structured feedback rather than senselessly complaining. I’ll assess each bullet point accordingly.

- I brought this up in lore games arcanism chat and everyone said that it should only take up one TA slot. I don’t think it makes a difference, but even more expansive magics like Blood Magic can take up multiple slots, yet still only call for one TA slot.

- I honestly despise old arcanism lore because of how vague the beam is, so I sympathize with you on this. I was going to add in specific parameters for the beam’s power depending on how far away its gone from its point of origin, yet it seemed to have slipped my mind. I think I’ll take your suggestion of 3-4 meters.

- I was really trying to hit the target on the point that a ray can’t really be evaded via conventional means of movement. This is especially annoying after your adversary emotes stepping out of the way from the calldown ray as soon as it’s cast. Nonetheless, I’ll clarify this and nerf the speed.

- Sure. Not much else to say about this.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:39 PM, Toxdog said:

- I honestly despise old arcanism lore 

r u d e

edit: but honestly it was never apparent to me back when I created Arcanism that those involved wouldn’t be able to negotiate the effects of the spell together if there wasn’t a formula. The original spells weren’t meant to be the only spells and stuff like the beams were just a personal iteration as the magic was being introduced IRP. It was understood that you’d receive that type of knowledge in-game as well. However the new standards are much more user friendly and beneficial for the LT in terms of not relying on the teachers to be spreading all the information.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, BrandNewKitten said:

r u d e

edit: but honestly it was never apparent to me back when I created Arcanism that those involved wouldn’t be able to negotiate the effects of the spell together if there wasn’t a formula. The original spells weren’t meant to be the only spells and stuff like the beams were just a personal iteration as the magic was being introduced IRP. It was understood that you’d receive that type of knowledge in-game as well. However the new standards are much more user friendly and beneficial for the LT in terms of not relying on the teachers to be spreading all the information.

In the sense of how undefined the spells were. Now we have smooth brains trying to soundproof rooms and one shot people because garbage RPers have the magic. Gotta define EVERYTHING now.

15 hours ago, Toxdog said:

In the sense of how undefined the spells were. Now we have smooth brains trying to soundproof rooms and one shot people because garbage RPers have the magic. Gotta define EVERYTHING now.

I know but such is life (I was being sassy for the sake of being sassy).

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.

This lore is pending, you will be sent a forum PM in the next 24 hours with a list of issues that need to be fixed.

Having this self denied.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.