[Your View] Next Map's Cloud Temple

LotsOfMuffins

Not just CT, but the entire map / lore should be clean-slated and something different from the usual pseudo-medieval tolkienesque map be done. Continuing further in this setting will only lead to stagnation, and many groups are too deeply entrenched in their identity to ever consider change.

So yeah, do something different or continue witnessing the rotting process. We talked about this on Discord.

@LotsOfMuffins

Honestly, y’all gonna hate me for my opinion as it’s the opposite of everyone else’s, but personally I feel future CTs should be Atlas’s CT. Which IMO (I still think our Arcas CT is great, thank you builders) is miles better then our current CT. While I understand it doesn’t need to be large, it doesn’t need to be a small area/building it can have playershops like Atlas and some other cool things. But I agree the cloud temple should change theme next map, instead of being a sandstone place.

Edited by Evonpire

Copy and paste Athera’s CT onto next map please.

Current CT is not bad but I don’t like it that much either. Atlas CT worked quite well in my opinion but generally I think Cloud Temples should be downsized. They should not be RP hubs nor tutorial zones. The shops and resource pits are a good thing but the temple itself usually does not serve a lot of purpose other than a global spawn. The CT area itself this map is also way too large. Excluding the building, the forest surrounding it is very big and takes up a lot of space which could be used by players (not to mention the CT ring, which contains some of the best plots of land on the map).

Make the next CT smaller, keep the current practical features it has (npc’s, shops, res pits, mine) but downsize the building itself and the surrounding terrain. Also move the library away from CT again.

Small temple, maybe the graveyard idea. No farms, no shops. Resource pit locations spread across the world. And no ******* library in it either. Promote RP instead of locking these sorts of things in a safezone.

Burn the Dragur Library and add a hub for player and staff hosted events

Recent CTs have generally been way too big and way too confusing to navigate. Pretty ugly too – they’re designed to look good in shadered screenshots from afar, like in the OP, but usually look like a mess when you’re there with your default texture pack on ground level. Need something small with clear signs, not just floating names hidden far in the distance, to tell you which direction to run in. I’d prefer having a resource island to having all the farms, markets, mines, etc. in the CT – those things make the CT unnecessarily big and usually they’re all scattered across the CT making them hard to find. However I think, rather than the resource island being an OOC place like last time, it should ICly be a CT-annex type deal where the Monks still own the land so PVP-off, no hostile RP, etc. Doesn’t make a huge difference, but IMO it’s weird to go to a place that’s completely OOC to collect your resources. Everywhere should be IC on the server.

Tl;dr as small and simple as possible, and stick all the resource stuff like farms and mines(and the markets at which you sell that stuff) together in one place. And no library.

Add some wonks npcs on your way out of the Cloud Temple....

Lol i meant monk, haha...unless?

I’m guessing that work has just begun (or is about to begin) on the next map since we have a Your View about it now.

Next map’s CT should be small yet jam-packed with important information and some resources for new players. It should function as an RP hub to a lesser extent (so that new players aren’t greeted with emptiness when they first join), and the CT should have Monk characters who eat, work, and sleep within the CT.

Remember how the Atlas CT had a map of Atlas listing off all of the nations and names of forests/mountain ranges? That should be done again in order to reduce new player’s dependency on the dynmap and make map information be more IC than OOC. 

There should be a farm for new players to get some food and a small tree farm for new players to get some wood.  The rest of the CT exists for Monks to live in/interact with new players with. Then, there should be some fast travels leading to racial hubs that let new players start their LOTC experience in the general area their race inhabits. 

Having the CT in the clouds would be really cool and help explain why conflict isn’t allowed there and why any travel out of the CT is one-way. Furthermore, a literal Cloud Temple wouldn’t take up any ground space that could be used by other races to build settlements.

If the CT doesn’t use up ground space and respawning players immediately fast travel to racial spoke points instead traveling out from the CT, Freebuild could be put in a much more centralized location without denying any one nation or race land or giving Freebuild an unfair advantage. The main problem with Freebuild in Arcas is that it’s too far away for many people to use it and too large for anyone living in Freebuild to interact with other Freebuild inhabitants. I think a more central yet smaller Freebuild area would be much more useful to the server. If the Freebuild area is directly underneath the CT whilst every Nation and Race lives around the central one-way Fast Travel hubs from the CT, Freebuild can be in the center of the map, still further away from CT than centralized Nations so that new players don’t build dirt huts and never log on again, and receive decent amounts of travelers going between Nations that makes for organic Freebuild settlement creation like with Belvitz.

Resource pits are a wonderful thing but perhaps the CT should only contain basic resources. Other resources could be spread across the map and be camped by groups. This would make for interesting rp!

Also, lotc is a better place without fast travel.

Edited by Mark2282

52 minutes ago, Mark2282 said:

Resource pits are a wonderful thing but perhaps the CT should only contain basic resources. Other resources could be spread across the map and be camped by groups. This would make for interesting rp!

Also, lotc is a better place without fast travel.

Yeah I’d like this. Instead of just opening mines wherever, it’d be cool if there were a set number of mines scattered throughout the map with varying frequencies of certain ores. Would make land an actually valuable commodity since you’d make serious bank off controlling the land around a mine. And I agree that you should still have basic materials in small frequencies at the CT mine though just so players are never completely locked out of obtaining necessities like iron.

I quite like the current concept of CT, but I do think it should be more centralized.  It serves as a spot people can reliably go to for basic necessities, and also serves as a pinnacle point in terms of monk lore. 

Although, I do think that the markets should be managed in some way that it's items that cannot be easily gotten elsewhere. It takes away from the player economy in some ways. Would def like to see the CT support player ran economies more!

**** the CT. Down with the tyranny of OOC zones, we’re only doomed to repeat the same mistakes of it using conventional, on-map designs. I would also like to remind everyone that the CT is not just the temple itself this map, but also incorporates a quarter of the map that prevents expansion, as seen in the spoiler below highlighted in blue.

Spoiler

1SFZFv3.jpg

I know the World Team has talked about it ad nauseam using one way teleports and “racial” hubs to solve and alleviate these issues. I’d very much like to hear from them on their plans for the next map. @VonAulus @ARCHITECUS

Oh yeah and remove resources, shops, and other services from CT. A little tutorial area to get food and stone tools is fine but it shouldn’t extend beyond that.

Get the library of Dragur the **** out of there

That’s my 2 cents other than that I’ve always liked it and the community it brings