Mines

Hiebe

Greetings LOTCers

64a85940c0e818662a6b8478df1971e9.png

Today we are exploring a new system of mines for the player base. There is currently one new mine set up at spawn to test it out. It utilizes Korvics pit plugin. The test mine is a 50x50x50 region with a percentage of stone, iron, gold, redstone, coal, lapiz, and diamond. These percentage chances will be toyed with and changed as needed. These are slated to replace the current mine world to free up resources for the server.

Future Ideas Include

-Specialized mines

-Mine expansions

-Gold sink

-Adventure mines

Please enjoy and send feedback to myself and the World Dev team.

Special thanks to Krovic for helping me set these up

holy **** yes

grr have regenerating ore veins scattered along mountains

But for now this is good

I truthfully couldn’t care less what changes are made to the mine system, due to LoTC’s disregard when it comes to making a proper economy and ensuring we aren’t flooded with mina by the millions within’ the first few months but.. What necessitates this? Are we downgrading the server package due to lack of funding, or is this merely to try and deal with the lag temporarily until we are able to establish ourselves on a more stable version?

what’s the point of mining? neat idea and all, but with the economy as broken as it is, and gear for pvp not meaning much anymore, I cant see the point of this. good work regardless though, seems useful for another time.

18 minutes ago, THUNDER37 said:

I truthfully couldn’t care less what changes are made to the mine system, due to LoTC’s disregard when it comes to making a proper economy and ensuring we aren’t flooded with mina by the millions within’ the first few months but.. What necessitates this? Are we downgrading the server package due to lack of funding, or is this merely to try and deal with the lag temporarily until we are able to establish ourselves on a more stable version?

16 minutes ago, seannie said:

what’s the point of mining? neat idea and all, but with the economy as broken as it is, and gear for pvp not meaning much anymore, I cant see the point of this. good work regardless though, seems useful for another time.

Trial system that can be tweaked to be used correctly for maybe future maps. Currently uses the pit plugin so there is a limited cooldown and will eventually cost mina to refill.

I can see an enormous issue present really, in a mere 50x50x50 area to mine within when a map launches or an iron grind is on-going. That pit is nowhere near large enough to accommodate the 25-150 people that shall leap for that mine at any hour of the day.. We’ve seen issues with lag present in the war server already and in such a tight space would that not be even worse?

As for resources, are we not already making it ridiculously easy to attain any material with a mere mouse click.. Either from the CT shops, the resource pits and now the mines?

Surely, the lure of Minecraft for many is the hunt for riches and for those who are willing to embed the time, the mina or horde of resources that will come from such. Is making the mine an almost resource pit now, with the ability to refill it at any time of the day with mere mina not going to further inflate the economy and make iron and other resources even more worthless? If that were possible.

1 hour ago, seannie said:

1 hour ago, A_New_Noob said:

grr have regenerating ore veins scattered along mountains

But for now this is good

I’m not against this. I’d rather just every 4 months the entire mine world get reset, but this decent. Only question is – Can nations have mines like this?

49 minutes ago, THUNDER37 said:

I can see an enormous issue present really, in a mere 50x50x50 area to mine within when a map launches or an iron grind is on-going. That pit is nowhere near large enough to accommodate the 25-150 people that shall leap for that mine at any hour of the day.. We’ve seen issues with lag present in the war server already and in such a tight space would that not be even worse?

As for resources, are we not already making it ridiculously easy to attain any material with a mere mouse click.. Either from the CT shops, the resource pits and now the mines?

Surely, the lure of Minecraft for many is the hunt for riches and for those who are willing to embed the time, the mina or horde of resources that will come from such. Is making the mine an almost resource pit now, with the ability to refill it at any time of the day with mere mina not going to further inflate the economy and make iron and other resources even more worthless? If that were possible.

There will be more mines added. This is just a trial run. There is a cooldown of refill. Ill add the specs of the mine when i get home so you have a better idea of how it should work 

So what is this, just a smaller instanced mine that can be refilled for mina and reduces server load? I like the idea of being able to refill mines through mina since that’ll be a pretty big mina sink (assuming that it’s not dirt cheap). If the main intention is to address the server load, I think this is perfect. However, if you’re trying to fix the virtually non-existent economy of LotC, I don’t think this will address it. These are the options I see for fixing the economy...

1. Make resources a LOT more scarce. Will increase their cost and you’ll see more people specialize in jobs such as mining.
  2. Give less of a reward for voting. I currently get paid like 10 mina a day to be a guard and am making like 200+ a day voting. Granted, I have a feeling my guard pay is ridiculously low, but still I should not be making so much mina a day voting that I can basically afford anything I need.
  3. Introduce more mina sinks. Best way I see of doing this is charging charters/nations mina for existing rather than have activity checks (I think @Ggt recommended this already). It’ll increase taxes, which in turn will increase the costs of all goods sold assuming they’re scarcer than now.
  4. Make it so people can actually PvP again. My understanding is the majority of resources go to war efforts within the game, and with the server being so bad lately, people have just stockpiled huge amounts of resources reducing the need for them.

As for the new mine ideas, I think they’re all good. Specialized mines can be provided to players at a cost of mina, introducing another mina sink, and will lead to certain regions becoming known for certain materials. Adventure mines (assuming they’re what I’m picturing) will provide a PvE experience for players which I think would be a great addition.

20 minutes ago, RaccoonPete said:

So what is this, just a smaller instanced mine that can be refilled for mina and reduces server load? I like the idea of being able to refill mines through mina since that’ll be a pretty big mina sink (assuming that it’s not dirt cheap). If the main intention is to address the server load, I think this is perfect. However, if you’re trying to fix the virtually non-existent economy of LotC, I don’t think this will address it. These are the options I see for fixing the economy...

1. Make resources a LOT more scarce. Will increase their cost and you’ll see more people specialize in jobs such as mining.
  2. Give less of a reward for voting. I currently get paid like 10 mina a day to be a guard and am making like 200+ a day voting. Granted, I have a feeling my guard pay is ridiculously low, but still I should not be making so much mina a day voting that I can basically afford anything I need.
  3. Introduce more mina sinks. Best way I see of doing this is charging charters/nations mina for existing rather than have activity checks (I think @Ggt recommended this already). It’ll increase taxes, which in turn will increase the costs of all goods sold assuming they’re scarcer than now.
  4. Make it so people can actually PvP again. My understanding is the majority of resources go to war efforts within the game, and with the server being so bad lately, people have just stockpiled huge amounts of resources reducing the need for them.

As for the new mine ideas, I think they’re all good. Specialized mines can be provided to players at a cost of mina, introducing another mina sink, and will lead to certain regions becoming known for certain materials. Adventure mines (assuming they’re what I’m picturing) will provide a PvE experience for players which I think would be a great addition.

LOTC doesn’t need more minas sinks right now. Prices are constantly getting lower and lower as unsold resource stockpiles grow larger and larger. Returning to a scarcity economy would be difficult since most players are used to having enough food/iron/building supplies to get by without having to grind much. What the server really needs right now is more consumption instead of less production in order to sell unsold stocks of goods and get minas flowing more.

What I mean by increasing consumption is the following:

You know how people don’t need to consume drugs/alcohol to survive on LOTC, but frequently do anyways since it’s cool? The creation and sale of drug and alcohol items are a good portion of many settlements’ economies without causing anyone to suffer from a lack of said items. People use these items simply because they are cool and interesting. If the developers were to add more cool features such as the Hoo-Kah plugin, it would increase consumption and create demand for goods without having there be any scarcity of necessary items. 

Food could be able to be consumed with a full hunger bar, letting players burn through stacks of food in feasts and have their characters feel like gluttons.

Collectible yet expensive items could be craftable that don’t perform any purpose besides looking rich and flexing on your neighbors.

Etc.

Nobody wants to have to grind for hours to get PvP gear, yet if most materials remain plentiful and allow for overconsumption to feel cool, there can be an economy that is both fun and functional.

That is my proposal for a better LOTC economy that people won’t hate.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

2 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Nobody wants to have to grind for hours to get PvP gear, 

Speak for yourself, evil.

Edited by rukio

3 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

LOTC doesn’t need more minas sinks right now. Prices are constantly getting lower and lower as unsold resource stockpiles grow larger and larger. Returning to a scarcity economy would be difficult since most players are used to having enough food/iron/building supplies to get by without having to grind much. What the server really needs right now is more consumption instead of less production in order to sell unsold stocks of goods and get minas flowing more.

What I mean by increasing consumption is the following:

You know how people don’t need to consume drugs/alcohol to survive on LOTC, but frequently do anyways since it’s cool? The creation and sale of drug and alcohol items are a good portion of many settlements’ economies without causing anyone to suffer from a lack of said items. People use these items simply because they are cool and interesting. If the developers were to add more cool features such as the Hoo-Kah plugin, it would increase consumption and create demand for goods without having there be any scarcity of necessary items. 

Food could be able to be consumed with a full hunger bar, letting players burn through stacks of food in feasts and have their characters feel like gluttons.

Collectible yet expensive items could be craftable that don’t perform any purpose besides looking rich and flexing on your neighbors.

Etc.

Nobody wants to have to grind for hours to get PvP gear, yet if most materials remain plentiful and allow for overconsumption to feel cool, there can be an economy that is both fun and functional.

That is my proposal for a better LOTC economy that people won’t hate.

If people are stockpiling huge amounts of resources without use, then that means that there’s too much supply and not enough demand. The two options to fix this are increasing demand or reducing supply, both have the same effect. The question is, which is more likely to happen and is easier for staff to do?

Anything you can grow will always be in ample supply, it’s too easy and requires very little effort. I don’t know the process behind making drugs/alcohol in LotC, but I imagine like real life for the most part they use easily obtainable ingredients. Materials provided at CT rather than the open world, worthless, but it keeps players from having to destroy the world in order to get them. Mineable materials like emeralds, lapis lazuli, and for the most part, gold, are completely worthless. The only materials/goods that have any real value in LotC are land, property (like homes), certain mineable resources like iron and diamond, specialty crafted RP goods, and a handful of goods which are needed regularly like tools, weapons, and armor.

So this brings me to the point I’m trying to make; how do you increase demand for these items? Bringing in more players will increase demand, but also supply so that won’t do it. Relying solely on cool expensive RP goods clearly isn’t doing it. So why do you think increasing demand would work?

Think of the LotC staff as the Federal Reserve, and instead of printing the US Dollar they print resources and mina. Does the Federal Reserve work to increase demand? No! They control the money supply. It’s not realistic to think LotC staff could reliably increase demand in any meaningful way just as it is that the Federal Reserve would be able to.

Resources and goods are so cheap in their current state that if there was going to be a “overconsumption” like you say it already would have happened. Many people, like myself, enjoy playing the economy. It’s very hard to play the economy if there is virtually non-existent due to there being such an excess of resources and goods. In addition, it’s difficult to RP jobs like mining or farming, when those jobs don’t exist because there’s pretty much no point for them to since people can just spend a days worth of mina from voting to obtain everything they need.

Maybe I’m wrong and the vast majority of the playerbase enjoys being able to obtain everything with one click of the mouse. However I’m willing to bet that’s not the case.