[Completed]-=- The Ban Epidemic -=-

HadvarAvMitteland

1 minute ago, Pan_Porucznik said:

If the cops let you off with a warning, can they stop by your house a week after and take you in for a couple of weeks even if you didn't do anything and the first time she just fell?

this is a minecraft server

Im certainly no fan of Swifty but this ban doesn't make any sense. Either not all reasons for the ban were stated, or the ban was misjudged. Reading this post makes the ban look closer to a convenient way to get rid of a nuisance. To me this is proof that staff should take a look at the way bans are handled in lotc. 

For an in-game player report: (Administrative staff and Moderation staff can view these reports) <Fill out at this link here>

• Is the player in question new to the server? Is it possible they are just unclear on rule specifications?
  • Have you contributed to fueling the dispute in some form? It is possible you are liable for rule-breaking if you have contributed to the dispute negatively.
  • Is it possible to solve this issue without the use of a player report? Have you tried contacting a Moderator in-game?
  • Do you have genuine reason to report this player? We do not accept personal dislike as a suitable reason for a player report.

If you’ve read through these dot points and still hold the opinion that you have valid reasoning to fill out a player report then read on! If not, perhaps try contacting a Moderator in-game or speaking further with the individual/s involved after everyone has cooled down to work towards resolving the issue.

• Yes. 
  • Yes – combat-logged. 
  • No effort made to contact a moderator at the time, nor the offender. 
  • Sure – if they hadn’t broken rules themselves. 

Pretty clear the basic criteria to post a report aren’t even met here. I guess that’s why no public report was actually made, instead moderators were privately contacted and the player denied their right to defend themselves – an abuse of a system that’s meant only for sensitive matters. 

Overall seems a bit sneaky from the reporting party. Yes the RP was shitty but then they got out of it by rage-quitting. Later deciding that they were going to ban report after all, and keeping it private so the matter of combat-logging wouldn’t come to light in the defense, is pretty sneaky and an abuse of the private BR system. 

IMO you really can’t have it both ways. If you’re gonna break the rules to get out of shitty RP instead of contacting a moderator like the guidelines say to, or telling the player off and then making a public BR afterwards if they continue, then you don’t really have a right to BR anymore. Unless you also report yourself, of course, it’s only fair. 

Just now, YPJgamer1999 said:

this is a minecraft server

Wish is even more of a reason to see how this case is absolute bullshit lmao. Imagine if Deandre Ayton, who just served a 25 suspension for using PEDs in the NBA made it into the finals, though just before the finals started the NBA gave him another 25 game suspension because they thought the old suspension wasn’t long enough. If Deandre had no other infractions how is that fair? How does that make any sense in the slightest? You could put this is almost ANY situation at all and still makes zero sense.

7 minutes ago, Arundlt said:

Wish is even more of a reason to see how this case is absolute bullshit lmao. Imagine if Deandre Ayton, who just served a 25 suspension for using PEDs in the NBA made it into the finals, though just before the finals started the NBA gave him another 25 game suspension because they thought the old suspension wasn’t long enough. If Deandre had no other infractions how is that fair? How does that make any sense in the slightest? You could put this is almost ANY situation at all and still makes zero sense.

bad analogy. this would be like if he was warned for using steroids and then the NBA looked back at the extent of his roid use and decided it warranted a suspension and not a warning

i’m not saying i agree with the decision but let’s not pretend this was out of left field. the moderators care about people doing quality rp

7 minutes ago, YPJgamer1999 said:

bad analogy. this would be like if he was warned for using steroids and then the NBA looked back at the extent of his roid use and decided it warranted a suspension and not a warning

i’m not saying i agree with the decision or even care but let’s not pretend this was out of left field. the moderators care about people doing quality rp

I agree with that the moderators want proper RP, and the moderators gave him a warning to fix it, so he went and did it. To wait an entire month before increasing his punishment? Right before a giant break for everyone? Not to mention that it’s not a bad analogy since warning actually count towards you. Why was this case revisited so long in the future? He had done so much since then that was positive for the community.

Edited by Arundlt

One thing I gather from here is we certainly need to push forward our plan for a consistent standard for roleplay quality. If you or a loved one has been affected by mesothelioma trollplay or other nonsense low-quality RP please send me in a testimony in a forum DM and I’ll read through it (note I can’t respond to all of them). Unrelated to this but more closely related to this post, the banned user in question recently was caught in another case involving the same thing so the warning / apology wouldn’t play in anyway. Sorry about your plight Swifty Sam but the ban sticks.

9 minutes ago, Telanir said:

One thing I gather from here is we certainly need to push forward our plan for a consistent standard for roleplay quality. If you or a loved one has been affected by mesothelioma trollplay or other nonsense low-quality RP please send me in a testimony in a forum DM and I’ll read through it (note I can’t respond to all of them). Unrelated to this but more closely related to this post, the banned user in question recently was caught in another case involving the same thing so the warning / apology wouldn’t play in anyway. Sorry about your plight Swifty Sam but the ban sticks.

Evidence? None was provided in the convo. This is a recurring issue on staff’s part.

Edited by Mikerino

8 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Ok boomer

10 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Wait. No boomer. This isn't right.

2 minutes ago, Telanir said:

If you or a loved one has been affected by mesothelioma trollplay or other nonsense low-quality RP please send me in a testimony in a forum DM and I’ll read through it (note I can’t respond to all of them).

This doesn’t give anyone a chance to defend themselves. Not like the mods/admins don’t talk among themselves though if a mod had a personal vendetta against a player what stops them from using this system to get it? Surely a moderator’s word is worth more than just some new user. Unless you want to message the defendant as well, which just makes this the same as a report.

11 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Or they and their loved ones could follow the report system authored by yourself. Private DM reports like this just give people a handy dandy way to get the other party banned while leaving themselves off scot-free in a situation where both are at fault. Like privately reporting someone for troll-RP so that by the time they’re banned, it’s too late for them to report you for combat-logging, to give a purely hypothetical example.

What’s the point in making ban reports public again, and writing those guidelines about working it out with the other party first, if you’re going to actively encourage players to private BR and never even inform the reported party until they’re banned? Seems a bit pointless, dunnit? 

32 minutes ago, Telanir said:

The situation that I uncovered that was similar was one where the girl oocly wanted to get the rp over with. I still provided some crp but made it as quick as possible for her so she could go back to building. This was mutually agreed upon and the logs show this. You can't prosecute me for another event when that event has been taken out of context by one of YOUR mods. Check the logs I sent your admin and you can see I did what the victim wanted.

rly am ecstatic a loser who takes the game this seriously is banned!

you broke the f****ng rules, grow up and stop whining, serve your time.

(i look forward to some cringe rap battle response xd xd)

I’m confused how one can expect a ‘quality’ Combat RP experience if an opposed side throws a fit instead or have no means of defending themselves, but then for it to be regarded as bandit role-play during an ongoing war. Bandits are not the same thing as Soldiers, and not all forms of conflicts are solely banditry. I think it might have been fair if RP was simply voided, but during a big war bans always seem to be the go to instead of a better answer.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing the higher staff provide a visual example of what good bandit or combat RP is on the server especially by their own experience. It might be helpful to show so it might enhance RP rather than letting them learn the ropes as they go.