Stop With the World Events

IsaaKc

First of all I wanna say that this post doesn’t target any specific person. Mystery’s post that went up today simply reminded me that I wanted to put this up. Most of the ET who’ve done world events or written them up I really like, such as Xarkly and Mystery.

Anyway, world events haven’t really worked on LotC for the past couple years and I don’t think they should become the precedent for quality event lines. Although they catter to the entire playerbase and give everyone a fair shot, it doesn’t really work in an LotC environment in the sense that smaller events do. This results in the several cons that result in running a world event, including, but not limited to:

- getting pm’d every day about “can i do x with this event artifact??”

- delays to events and polls in discords on when the event should be, excluding entire timezones of players because the event that was suppose to happen at 6pm EST cucks most of the GMT community.

- macguffins (items that are critical to the plot) being handed out to certain playerbases and people that make the rest of the event-goers essentially useless

- several pms mid-event as to why your tier 5 fire ball didn’t hit the epic event creature and one shot it

- particular archetypes of players begin fighting RPly (and OOCly in some cases) for a protagonist-esque position, which brings down the experience for everyone.

- have little effect on the current global narrative, being almost meaningless and not really inhibiting any rp (ex: trade getting shut down in Sutica because voidal corruption has made them prone to frequent attacks on the roads)

- often lead to forgettable experiences rather than more remembered smaller event lines

- result in large clean ups for staff to handle be it lore related or build related

- result in confusing event CRP or largescale event pve that the server can’t handle

Pros:

- includes all of the playerbase and (usually) doesn’t discriminate

- gives players the chance to use siege weaponry or event-only restricted spells in magic

- allows the playerbase to explore large-scale ET builds that have (usually) had time and dedication put into

Now, you could sit here and probably come up with a list of several more pros, but this was all that I could really note that isn’t immediately cancelled out in the cons. I just think that the drawbacks immensely outweigh the good bits that come up with bigger events.

Instead of senselessly complaining about the problem, I’m gonna offer a solution to the problem that could potentially take the place of world events. Dispering ET actors from nation to nation and some to larger charters would include most of the server and provide anybody the chance to step in to their local event line(s), rather than slapping more than eighty people on a single ET or two who’s controlling four different creatures and responding to thirty emotes per turn. As I said before, world events shouldn’t be the precedent for the ET and I think that it’s more detrimental to the server rather than beneficial. 

Does Fat lighting bolt does nothing.... Just going to say this is a big mess, as well how sometimes, Just going to ask for one thing as since I am curious how sometimes tier five spells has no effect on a monster person or whatever? Like its powerful and at the highest tier? so how does it not have an effect? (Unless its like resident to that evocation element or something like that?) Also world events should be at least controlled and made widely know sometimes right? if it involves the whole entire world? or more of realm.

Just give me my small 2-3 hour D&D dungeon events for my small group of individuals and I’ll be happy.

Stepping into the shoes of a past ET Director, world events are absolutely horrendous. The lore that people so strictly follow is bent and broken which does nothing but outrage the playerbase (Ex: September Prince and his Druidism bonanza). Either it becomes so extreme that the situation I just discussed happens, or the world event is so miniscule and unimportant that it really brings absolutely nothing to the world. World events do sound cool of course, but I think everyone can agree, myself included, the playerbase has always enjoyed events targeted to themselves more. Sutica will want a completely different type of event than Oren, etc. They really bring nothing to the table

3 hours ago, Amayonnaise said:

-snip-

tl;dr world events only cool if you’re a mage or druid. Agreed.

Almost every event I have seen this map has only catered to mages. When will the ET finally do events for the common man? One that doesn't involve magic.

1 hour ago, ReveredOwl said:

Almost every event I have seen this map has only catered to mages. When will the ET finally do events for the common man? One that doesn't involve magic.

I guess you just haven’t found the right ET yet ?

Dunno how you’re defining world event because most of the problems you describe apply to smaller one-off events too. 

- several pms mid-event as to why your tier 5 fire ball didn’t hit the epic event creature and one shot it

- particular archetypes of players begin fighting RPly (and OOCly in some cases) for a protagonist-esque position, which brings down the experience for everyone.

- have little effect on the current global narrative, being almost meaningless and not really inhibiting any rp (ex: trade getting shut down in Sutica because voidal corruption has made them prone to frequent attacks on the roads)

- often lead to forgettable experiences rather than more remembered smaller event lines

- result in large clean ups for staff to handle be it lore related or build related

- result in confusing event CRP or largescale event pve that the server can’t handle

All apply to the random one-off “evil monster that only your local friendly mage can stop while you stand there and die, silly NPC” events. 

- getting pm’d every day about “can i do x with this event artifact??”

Doesn’t, but you get the very similar problem of the ET describing a creature/monster that you don’t have a bloody clue what it is and what they do, and giving really vague descriptions of the effect they’re having, and you have no idea how to even react. But no matter, they don’t care if you react because the one mage guy will fling back some really vague magical emotes and then the monster will explode. No PM’ing but still no one having a bloody clue if they can or can’t do ‘x’. 

The large group fights in world-scale events are horrendous. There’s a reason that 10+ people immediately leads to PvP; tons of emotes get lost, especially the ones made by people who aren’t ultrasuperpowerful mages, countering attacks is impossible because people just emote being hit regardless, and to me, it always feels like the result is forced. And this is coming from one of the protagonist-complex mages who always goes to these events; I can’t imagine how much it sucks to just bring a sword to these things and try to help.

I think that, in this case, the playerbase is actually at fault for how common large scale events like those are. For the recent Athera-exploration event, specifically, I know that it was meant to be much smaller, and now it’s something anyone who wants can be a part of- which, I have to assume, is so that no players feel like they’ve been left out for the sake of a group-oriented event. That’s why the only smaller events, aimed at specific playerbases, are always ones with little to no real impact; it’s always just a generic big monster thing.

@Amayonnaise I want to note that actually I had one of the manastones (crystal thingies) which the paladin lefkos allowed me to take and  hold onto for awhile. When it was time to gather the three, my char gave it to nivndil to whom she trusted.  And other nations were actually involved for a bit but they rply dropped out which that was their choice.  The reason why you saw more druids is because they never gave up. Paladins too and other groups. 

I will say however that I agree with part of your statement as being one of Irrinor myself. Most information regarding events seemed like it was more catered to certain groups and trying to follow along or even get any information/warning to go do stuff was pretty much non-existent to a certain point. Which kinda killed my mood to continue or really know what was going on unless told offhandedly. 

As for the past events, I don't think that's the druids fault  or  any group's fault really. Because it was different ET doing it and the druid group(for example) just happened to respond. 

The problem with world events is usually that they’re not idiot proofed, handing out macguffins for example and not having said macguffins do things that are consequential is a dumb idea.

For example, if you make a book for an event and a group of elitists tries to hoard it then you need a mechanic that allows the book to punish them or the event to continue without it with little to no consequence or massive consequences that make the event harder for everyone because of said group. You then have to make it known that such and such group did this and then it acts as a secondary punishment because now everyone can blame them for making the event harder.

11 hours ago, MavrominoAlt said:

Pros:

- includes all of the playerbase and (usually) doesn’t discriminate

Bold of you to assume this. Most playerbases are often put on the backburner and left to sit there.

From my own knowledge and experience, I wasn’t able to attend many of the voidal events because I was still at work when they were scheduled for. However, I had a good many of my guys attend and try to take part in them.

As it went on, those who had a leadership position in the eventline had less and less fun. It was getting to the point that I would log on after getting home and pop into the VC to be told that it was **** and a waste of time. That they would rather be doing something else. 

So that’s what we did. We just dropped out of it all because we weren’t having fun and didn’t feel motivated to take part.

I think that eventline saw all elven nations drop out of it. They couldn’t retain any of the human groups even after assaulting one of their kingdoms directly. Dwarves were nonexistent. Orcs were nonexistent. 

Really from my perspective it was a druid and paladin event. 

As for the note about getting lots of PMs. When events go on, we usually tell everyone to get into VC and have the vast majority of our guys in there talking with us. If you want effective communication, reach out to me and I can tell my guys to shut up or explain ****. I can also communicate what my guys are saying to you so you only have me DMing you and filtering it. 

there'll never be a good world event for the sheer sake that there's like 20 different playerbases on here with very different views and ideas of what is good.

also stop making world events some shitty sewer water splattered antag grinds. 

11 hours ago, Toxcat said:

Just give me my small 2-3 hour D&D dungeon events for my small group of individuals and I’ll be happy.

11 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

there'll never be a good world event for the sheer sake that there's like 20 different playerbases on here with very different views and ideas of what is good.

also stop making world events some shitty sewer water splattered antag grinds. 

Edited by Narthok

one day i’ll be allowed to make a sprawling dungeon for people to crawl thru... no et hand-holding, all story etc gleaned from the surroundings. damn