Stop With the World Events

IsaaKc

Just now, Narthok said:

atmospheric storytelling is something the map rlly lacks. all player-built settlements beyond some rock lumps at the CT, all events paint-by-numbers “#looc this is what’s happening” \*shoots orb* on-rails roleplay.

a story told by the environmental design alone for players to interpret at their own pace, allowing for timezones et al. bc it doesn’t necessitate the continued and sustained hand-holding of some wattpad fanfiction writer tenuously clinging to lore? give me that 

1 minute ago, frill said:

atmospheric storytelling is something the map rlly lacks. all player-built settlements beyond some rock lumps at the CT, all events paint-by-numbers “#looc this is what’s happening” \*shoots orb* on-rails roleplay.

a story told by the environmental design alone for players to interpret at their own pace, allowing for timezones et al. bc it doesn’t necessitate the continued and sustained hand-holding of some wattpad fanfiction writer tenuously clinging to lore? give me that 

the map is one dimensional and **** there is no narrative and no freedom to craft one, my nation tile is bordered by literal cobble walls larping as mountains

13 hours ago, Amayonnaise said:

Stop giving **** to the Druids.

No one gave us anything, we opted to be active in those eventlines, because they were pertinent to our characters.

No one was excluded from the Voidal events, my character actively tried to rally as much of Arcas as she could to combat the Void. We had Halflings, Orcs, Haensemen, Qualasheen, a few Fenn and Dwarves there, and Mystery’s event antagonists appeared in Haense, Curon and Brandybrook outside of Tears, and another Tear opened up near Haelun’or. By no means was it exclusive and I don’t like the insinuation that Druids were spoonfed events, when not only did I personally try to encourage people of various nations/playerbases to get involved, we had also been involved in the event from the start.

34 minutes ago, Aethling said:

No one gave us anything, we opted to be active in those eventlines, because they were pertinent to our characters.

No one was excluded from the Voidal events, my character actively tried to rally as much of Arcas as she could to combat the Void. We had Halflings, Orcs, Haensemen, Qualasheen, a few Fenn and Dwarves there, and Mystery’s event antagonists appeared in Haense, Curon and Brandybrook outside of Tears, and another Tear opened up near Haelun’or. By no means was it exclusive and I don’t like the insinuation that Druids were spoonfed events, when not only did I personally try to encourage people of various nations/playerbases to get involved, we had also been involved in the event from the start.

How come only the druids got the 3 items?

20 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

Events aren’t about items. Who gives a **** about some pixels lol

Imo the best approach is lots of small, immersive and engaging events. I think theres more merit in telling a story to small groups over time rather than 100 people at once.

Trying to cater to everyone in one fell swoop isnt ideal for the sole reason that everyone will have varying standards of what makes an event enjoyable. Also the larger your audience the lower the engagement becomes and it gets difficult to tell your story.

Small events that explore a storyline in a far more intimate way allows you to also change the tone of the event based on who's participating.

The one problem with the smaller focus approach is that it becomes difficult and demanding to spread your story out to as many groups of possible, though that depends on the manpower you have available 

1 hour ago, Kaelan said:

Events aren’t about items. Who gives a **** about some pixels lol

Except these items were paramount to the event line...

4 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

You mean manastones?
Paladins took one, an Irrinite took another and a Mage took a third.

The Irrinite gave my character her stone, because she couldn’t make the event it would be used for.

8 hours ago, Aethling said:

No one was excluded from the Voidal events,

Ye okay sure pal

20 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

Except these items were paramount to the event line...

The druids never USED these items, though. They just held onto them. My character, being a voidal mage who is actually capable of utilizing those, approached Luci’s and asked to be given one of them, and was in fact given a stone. You can’t expect ET to just GIVE you stuff for no reason; be an active part of the event.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Xarkly said:

The one problem with the smaller focus approach is that it becomes difficult and demanding to spread your story out to as many groups of possible, though that depends on the manpower you have available 

Could keep them simple and repeatable. Like a simple abandoned underground ruin dungeon that groups can re run / run once. Rply say that after its cleared out whatever monsters just re inhabit them after. Small event lines can also be ran per group. Bounties were also neat being quick pick ups with rewards for anyone willing. Etc.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:40 AM, Amayonnaise said:

and the Druids had 2 of them – according to Luci.

We had one, which was then given to Lilach, Ducky’s Mage to be used in the event. This was stated.

September Prince was literally a large corrupt Tree thing, that screams Druid.

Neither I nor the Druid playerbase are responsible for Aesopian’s calamitous butchering of Druid lore to justify his mmo-style boss battle.

Farglade was some enchanted elven realm with a DRUID DRAGON within, and a number of Druidic / Elven artifacts. Also screams Druid.

Wasn’t there, can’t speak to it I’m afraid.

Vaeyl Eventline seemed to be mostly tailored towards Druids/Dominion, considering everyone I knew of who was engaged with that event was from the Dominion, or a Druid.

To my knowledge only a few Druids were active throughout most of the Vaeyl eventline, primarily being Hareven, Quillian and another I don’t wanna name in case they’re meta’d, because they lived close to the wall. The Order played no part in it by and large, in fact my only interaction with the Vaeyl was two of them riding into the Mother Grove on polar bears and the latter two Druids trying to convince me the Vaeyl were evil and benign respectively. If you wanna talk the Dominion’s involvement then @ Dominion leadership, but don’t lump Druids in with them.

Super late to this thread.

Thank you for making this thread Caesar, however I find certain topics brought up within your main peice and in the comments slightly hypocritical.

World events will never be perfect. It is simply not possible to make them perfect for all communities when there are 10+ distinct and different communities on our server.

That being said, people would complain without them. Me and you both know people would.

Since there won't be an ET update this month, ill be making an ET post about this topic soon.

Also. Just to touch on the druid thing since I won't in my main post. My event was not made for druids. People can complain all they want they arent getting events but the ET ideaology is shifting away from just giving out events to nations randomly. Events should be there for people who want to tackle them and go out to do them for rp. Not something I should drop in your lap. Most people I see on this post complaining about the lack of events have never actually gone out in an attempt to initiate encounters for themselves or communities.

My Pms are always open if someone wants to suggest storylines, all it takes is you taking the first step.